[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>If you want to lose weight just track your calories and...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12
File: calories.jpg (21 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
calories.jpg
21 KB, 300x277
>If you want to lose weight just track your calories and...
>as soon as you mention tracking calories their eyes glaze over or you can hear their resistance to actually monitoring what they put in their body

Is this common? Why do people seem to get offended or upset at the notion of tracking their calories?
>>
>Is this common?

yes

>Why do people seem to get offended or upset at the notion of tracking their calories?

Because it actually requires a modicum of effort and you have to actually manage what you eat

most of them would rather just be fat and continually bitch about why their fad diets fail than put in the work and actually restrain themselves
>>
>>36788505
yeah
tried to help my mom loose weight
Im on the cut of my life 17KG so far 8KG to go
Going good so I thought Ill just get my mom in on my meal plan
900 cals a day from nutrion dense food and shakes
awsome food(black bean curry and salmon today)
nope my moms just gonna not eat
tell her OK but if you at least drink some milk everyday ittl help
nope
>>
I started with ditching soda/chips/sweets. Then tracking my intake with an app on my phone, weighting everything going into my meals, scanning barcodes of premade stuff, imputting exercise and bam, almost 3 months later and im at 195 from 230 ish with minimal actual effort put into work outs (I typically walk a lot). I know that rapid loss is gonna slow soon which sucks but damn I feel pretty good, I wanna keep feeling good.
And this has the added bonus of pissing off my boyfriend's mom when I fit into the the pants she bought on her last shopping binge thinking she'd fit into them while stuffing her face with cake, I'm down from an 18 to a 14
>>
>>36788505
Because tracking calories is a meme. Eating that extra cookie isn't gonna put you over the top and make you gain 30 pounds. Just keep working out till you achieve the results you want. My eyes don't glaze over, I just flat out cringe. Counting is for nerds anon.
>>
>>36788505
>Why
Because deep down they know the reason they can't lose weight is because they eat far too much.

What they actually wanted you to tell them is something along the lines of
> You just keep doing everything you're doing

> Except now you'll eat spinach 3 times a day! on top of everything else you normally eat!!!!!
or
> Except now you'll eat these pills 3 times a day! you keep eating like normal!
or
> Except now you'll do 10 of these ridiculously easy exercise that doesn't even make you sweat! 3 times a day! keep eating like normal!
or
> You keep meditating these words! 3 times a day! Just keep eating everything else as usual

Anyway, they don't want to actually eat less. And tracking calories is pretty objective so they don't get to distort the facts either.

Fat people are fat because they're lazy and want to keep doing everything they are doing. They'd rather be thin, but they don't care enough to put any real effort into it. Either wait until your friend hits rock bottom and decides she's either improving or killing herself or just give up. You can't make the effort for her, so it has to come from within.
>>
>>36788573
900 calories is to low unless your a female child

toss the shakes drink water and eat egg whites
>>
>>36788709
> Eating that extra cookie isn't gonna put you over the top and make you gain 30 pounds

extra cookie - 250 kcal - mcdonalds 1 is 400

1 extra a day for a year 87500kcal extra
25lb of weight gain
>>
>>36788680
and your a female

you got that going for you too
>>
File: 21.jpg (44 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
44 KB, 650x450
>>36788680
Why are you wearing your boyfriend's mom's pants? The defense is led to believe you tacked this on to your post in order to insinuate your gender. I am requesting that the mods strike this statement from the 4chan database.
>>
File: absolutely fantastic.png (187 KB, 395x296) Image search: [Google]
absolutely fantastic.png
187 KB, 395x296
>>36788505
>tfw my overweight parents complain about their weight
>I tell them they got fat and unhealthy because they ate indulgent shit and have been lazy sedentary fatasses for the last 15 years
>I tell them fad diets are 75% horse shit and apart from dangerous chemicals the only way to reliably lose weight is calorie restriction, moderation, healthy eating, and regular exercise

>they actually join a gym, drink less, eat less sugary shit, eat more fruit and veg, and start controlling portions

This was two years ago and they're in the best shape I've seen them since I was a child. Actually pretty proud tbqh.
>>
>>36788806
She's my motivation actually, I really wanna piss her off when I see her spend so much money on diet things and drop them 2 days later when there's no immediate results. I'm a horriblenperson sometimes, usuallly when I want to better something about myself its seeing someonenlike her that motivates me. And I haven't comfortable fit into jeans in about 8 years so I'm pretty happy that I'm actually making progress
>>
File: 1434149712971.gif (2 MB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1434149712971.gif
2 MB, 500x390
>>36788867
Nice story Anon, hearing this shit warms my heart. It's so rare to hear that someone is actually willing to change for the sake of their health, doubly so for parents. My friend had a long talk with his father about how his dad was on track for a heart attack with his current habits and how much he'd love for his father to be alive and see his grandchildren. Afterwards they worked out a meal plan and routine which shaved off 100 lbs in a year.
>>
>>36788769
yeah I know
its the last 6 weeks of my year log weight lose journey though
and 500 of those calories come from very nutritious lunches that are so big i can barely finish them

also on the weekends I do ALOT of cardio and eat as much as i can to restore

its also 900 calories more then my mom eats
>>
Friend of my aunt is fat. Probably even morbidly obese.

We had a conversation around the dinner table and I think she said she doesn't even believe in calories. Basically how a stupid person doesn't believe in chemistry because they can't see it I guess.

I remember almost dropping my utensils on the floor because of how shocked I was. I almost jumped in and asked if she was for real but honestly I don't care. Let them be fat.
>>
>>36788709
except it's never one cookie, and it's often something you do regularly. what you just said is exactly the logic skinnyfats use and it's the reason they're skinnyfat and not just skinny
>>
>>36788505
>Why do people seem to get offended or upset at the notion of tracking their calories?

Because it's way too much work and it's also associated with bodybuilding. They don't want to cut for a show, they just want to be normal or whatever the fuck that means so for them counting calories is unhealthy.

You don't want to look like Phil Heath or something do you?
>>
>>36788505
Because it is hard.

/thread
>>
>Why are people offended.

BECAUSE IT MEANS YOU HAVE AN EATING DISORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>36788945
> skinnyfat

The oxymoron meme
>>
>>36788965
eating so much and so badly one could legitimately argue that ones food is transformed into poison by behaviour alone is OK
Counting calories to make sure you get the right amount for optimum health EATING DISORDER

yep 10/10 would be baited again
>>
tell them to eat less
>>
File: oh baby.jpg (32 KB, 600x942) Image search: [Google]
oh baby.jpg
32 KB, 600x942
>>36788898
Thanks. One of my favourite things is that they keep telling me how great they actually feel- not just mentally in a "wow I don't look like a fat slob anymore" way but actually physiologically feeling healthier. My dad says as much as he misses binging on snacks whenever he felt like it and living like there's no tomorrow, he hasn't felt this energetic in a decade, and he feels sharper and as spry as ever thanks to not having a spare tyre weighing down on his joints.

It's something I think fat people find hard to imagine, or believe maybe, that a healthy lifestyle actually FEELS better than gluttony even if it doesn't taste as good.
>>
>>36788505
tracking food calories is easy

but try tracking down how many calories you burn. That stuff is nearly impossible to truly track and no matter what you do, no matter what you buy, you will never be able to perfectly and reliably track how much your routine with weights, costs you in calories. How much calories a pullup is, how much a deadlift costs you.

Its nearly frigging impossible. Plus if you start to add foods that you make yourself, tracking them become much more difficult as you cant just weight them down, water interferes with that. The structure of food can change to allow in more air, and some food stuffs increase in calories when heated.

So at best you can only guess, but in the worst case scenario's, that guess can be completely wrong still.

Now I am not fat, I am actually the opposite. I almost managed to get near the bodyweight danger zone because of too much cutting. Because scales are also not accurate in measuring bodyfat, even the caliphers are shit at that if you got loose skin flaps. I thought that I was at 14% bodyfat, but I measured myself at a pro dietologist and it was below 9%...at my rate I would have gotten into a danger area in 2 more weeks of similar vasting.

So fuck all of this caloric counting, but also fuck simply eating with my sense of fullness, modern food has broken it, the chemical balance for that.

Everything basically sucks, nobody can measure shit and you might kill yourself unintentionally.
>>
>>36788870
We're gonna make it gurl!
>>
>>36789062
Interesting point.

I use a fitbit and it shows how many calories you've burned during the day based on your heart rate.

It changed the way I thought about energy consumption vs expenditures and for the first time, I've been losing weight.
>>
>>36789225
Based on the heartrate is retarded if you do a diverse kinds of sports, like weightlifting, or hardrunning. I have read the reviews and they said that it had problems with something like that. So perhaps if you are a casualfag it may work, but do anything above the average and these things become useless.
>>
>>36789062
Isn't a ballpark figure of calories enough if you're not going to compete? If you're making your own food yeah, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to figure out exactly how many cal a portion is but you can get a pretty good estimate.

Similarly, I'm not sure how valuable it is knowing how many calories you burn via physical exertion.

Yeah, if you're going to run a 10K you're going to need those extra calories but I'd think you're not going to need AS much of a surplus if you're just lifting or doing 20-30 minutes of intense cardio.
>>
>>36789300
Ballpark is only good for casuals, on the higher end, with more diverse food choices and exercises, you go off into extremer ends where you own rough estimate is better than the sensor.
>>
>>36789340
>casuals
So 99.99% of people on Earth and 100% of fatties who are getting the "count calories" advice.
>>
>>36788505
Because it's autistic and therefore instinctively abhorrent to psychologically normal people.
>>
>>36789340
and to add to that, you need to restore your own sensor, your feeling of fullness. It is well know that our sugary diets wreck havoc with this system that heavily relies on chemical balances.

But if you manage to repair this broken thing, as of this moment, this internal sensor is much better than anything that (amateur) technology has to offer, and with that I mean anything that the doctor doesnt use (you cant carry those things with you anyhow)

Even for an amateur it would be advisable to not bother with these gadgets. Not only can they be wrong, they will be wrong and show you something that may harm you. Because if you instead calculated these things yourself for a period of time, you can get a sense of what is right and wrong, and then compare it to the possibly wrong sensor to see if it is accurate enough.
>>
>>36789371
That is why 70% of those people are overweight and fat, normality means becoming fat.
>>
what are some good every day breakfast shakes for people like myself that bought into the whole nutra ninja, bullet blender bullshit.

sofar tried things like.
greek yougurt, water, blueberries
banana, spinach, water, mixed berries
avacardo, blueberries, water

all with tablespoons of chia seeds

or any good sites for single serve recipes only. without bullshit expensive ingredients like 3rd nipple of a bulimic African tree rat, activated almonds, all systems operational green southern pike plant.
>>
>>36788972
Leave
>>
>>36788505
what the fuck has 3.8c and 2.2p for 23cals?

Weight loss is hard, and to normies calorie counting sounds extreme and tryhard.
There are apps for it now, which makes it easier for most people though.
>>
>>36789485
Oats, chia, whey and blueberries.
Blueberries, whey, kale, chia.
Etc.

There's a lot that you can put in a shake. I want to try a bit of sweet potato instead of my usual oats sometime.
>>
File: tired.jpg (17 KB, 469x480) Image search: [Google]
tired.jpg
17 KB, 469x480
Fat people are in denial and don't want to know how much they are eating.

>Brother is obese
>Literally around 480lbs at 6'2
>One day asks me about the best way to lose weight
>I explain that if all he wants to do is lose weight he needs to track his calories and eat less
>Tells me that isn't right, even though he asked me for advise
>I tell him FIRMLY to just fucking track his calories
>Next week he approaches me
>Tells me he has started tracking his calories
>I smile, surprised and happy with him
>He pulls out a picture of his head with a road drawn going into his mouth
>'yeah I hired a guy to track them for me, they are going into my mouth!'
>laughs at me, tells me he will easily lose 100lbs in the next few months on the new diet he found online
>I ask him what the diet consist of
>He tells me it is the 'Balsamic Binge'
>Tells me that he can eat whatever he wants as long as he dips it into Balsamic vinegar
>Tells me that the acidity of the vinegar will melt most of the calories before it gets to his stomach
>he does this for 4 weeks
>gains 4 lbs
>gives up
>now even fatter

They don't really want to put effort in.
>>
>>36788505
Counting calories is hard as fuck. I am just like, "How much do I eat right now? I'm gonna eat less of that. No snacks or liquid calories." After a few weeks or a month, if I'm not losing weight, I cut back more. Calorie counting is tedious and never 100% accurate.
>>
>>36791424
Same tbqh. I started eliminating meals until i started doing basically IF. Stopped eating breakfast, then lunch.
>>
What do you cucks do when you're counting calories but you eat something that doesn't have available nutrition info or an entry on myfitnesspal?

>e.g.: gf's mom makes machaca burritos for breakfast (shredded beef + egg + flour tortilla)
>>
>>36791480
Guess
>>
File: 1348429093775.png (187 KB, 261x388) Image search: [Google]
1348429093775.png
187 KB, 261x388
>>36788867
nice to hear that
>>
>>36791480
You should be able to figure out approximately what the macros are. Its not rocket science
>>
>>36788505
Because food and drink is so deeply ingrained in so many of our social and cultural conventions, that counting/tracking your intake often forces you to behave in ways that run counter to deeply embedded social norms.

>come on man just come to happy hour with us lol

-says every fat, worthless coworker ever
>>
>>36789062
Calculating it according to activity is helpful in narrowing it down, then you have to assess it by monitoring weight gain/loss.
>>
Sugar is literally an addiction. And like any addiction, it messes with your ability to be objective and reasonable. It literally makes you think differently in an attempt to justify your behavior.
>>
>>36791404
This is why people have sold snakeoil for hundreds of years.
>>
>>36789485
>strawberries and banana
>beetroot and pineapple
>carrot and ginger
>pineapple and avocado

all those tastes work well together.
>>
>>36791404
jesus.
>>
>>36791424
Honestly, this is what I do, but I think it requires that you already have an understanding of how many calories are in things and how little you burn from exercise. For someone who understands this, there's not a huge benefit with counting calories compared to just eating less based on watching your weight.

But for fatties, it can be a huge realization to see just how many calories they're taking in, and how much they need to be to lose weight.
>>
>>36788505
>practice self control
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
>>
>>36791299
assuming ~4Cal/gram for both carbs and protien gives 4(3.8) + 4(2.2) = 24Cals. The actual amount of calories per gram of carbs and protein is a little less than 4, so it comes out about right.

Also, checked.
>>
>>36788680
Boyfriends mom and his brothers girlfriend are all fat as fuck

I've dropped 25 lbs . I'm about 130 and man it feels good. His mother mires at me all the time. Says she wishes she was my size. His brothers girlfriend just stares at me with pure jealousy. She now watches what she eats in front ofe. Feels good to just pig out in front of them and be my size lol
>>
>>36788867
good job anon taking care of your parents is something I always appreciate

good job famalam
>>
>>36788926
My boyfriend doesn't believe in them either lol. He thinks like it's made up

>"what's a calorie?"
>"how do you know how much calories are in food?"
>"how do you know it's accurate?"
>"where do they get those numbers from?"
>>
>>36789019
Guarantee your parents are fucking like rabbits now too.
>>
>>36788505
I don't get why people are so afraid of tracking calories when there are excellent apps out there that makes it easy as fuck, such as MyFitnessPal.

Back in the day tracking took some effort unless you ate the same food every day, but nowadays it's so god darn easy.
>>
Your boyfriend is retarded; if you're thinking of having children (if you're a female that is), then I recommend to get out before it's too late, unless you want to bring up a bunch of imbeciles.

How can someone not believe in calories, it's basically the equivalent to declaring that energy doesn't exist.
>>
>>36791900
Idk unless you meal prep or eat the same foods counting calories js extremely tedious, time consuming, and just overall too much. I mean he'll sometimes I just won't eat because I don't feel like counting out my calories. For me at least what would take 15 mins to cook a meal is doubled due to having to track calories. So you know I can see how people just don't want to be bothered with that. I mean especially when it comes to condiments. Like oils or peanut butter or salad dressing. It gets to be too much

Also, counting calories is not something that's widely advertised. Like fad diets are hella advertised which is why people tend to do them to lose weight. So if the health/weight loss industry pushed the idea of counting calories I think more people would but that industry doesn't want to see people actually lose weight

Also most people have no clue how to read the nutrional value of foods. When I first learned to count calories I had to do some research
>>
>>36791971
Back in the day before apps counting calories only took me like 3-5 min for every meal, MAX; either you're doing it wrong, or you're extremely bad at math and need to go back to school.

Sure, your calorie count is almost never going to be 100% accurate (especially without using apps), but as long as you're not too far off, you should be fine.
>>
>>36791931
It's too late for me. Sadly we have a daughter.

I mean I understand in terms of just pure ignorance and curiosity but like...that's information that's easy accessible. Like a quick Google search could explain everything to him. I mean i know one day I was like "hmm..maybe he's got a point" then I remembered I've lost almost 30lbs from calorie counting so no, he doesn't have a point at all. But again like I said instead of acting like calories are a conspiracy he could easily research it lol
>>
>yesterday I'm at lunch with my gf
>she's talking about how she's been trying to lose those last five pounds of fat all semester and nothing has happened
>to her credit she's been doing a lot of cardio, but no weights and hasn't been diligently tracking her food
>I tell her that if she really wants to lose it then she needs to just buckle down and weigh everything she puts in her body and track it instead of half heartedly guessing like she has been
>she says that takes a long time and she doesn't want to do that the rest of her life
>I tell her it doesn't need to be the rest of her life, she'd literally only have to do it for a couple of months, then she could go back to eating like she has been since she isn't gaining weight now
>she just sighs and changes the topic

Why? I even offered to help her with the measuring on the weekends, and show her some tips I use for my own tracking and she still didn't want to. I can't imagine a couple of hours of prep on Sunday (which is less than she spends cooking to begin with) is that much harder than the hours of cardio she does throughout the week.
>>
>>36792009
Have you tried explaining that a calorie is just a measurement of energy, and that a protein, carbohydrate and fat all have their own caloric values for each gram (protein and carb being the same) regardless of the source. I feel like once you understand that, then the concept of calories becomes a nonissue.
>>
>>36792007
Idk maybe I'm slow . I have a kitchen scale and I use MFP so hmm idk maybe it's just a personal thing where like I just find it to be rather annoying so again, I can understand why the average American doesn't want to put forth effort to do it. But honestly it just all comes back to the fact that they don't want to lose weight. They don't really want to put forth effort to lose weight therefore they aren't going to put forth effort to count calories
>>
I just recommend and pitch Weight Watchers in the thickest sarcasm I can muster.

>Well you could just pay for Weight Watchers. They simply assign numeric values in the form of points to foods and the lower it is, the more you can eat!

>As long as you don't go over your daily point value, the pounds just melt off.
>>
>>36792049
No I honestly don't know much about it to be able to explain it to him. I mean I understand the basics to lose weight so calories in vs calories out. I mean I've tried to explain to him what a tdee is and to lose weight you have to eat less than that and he just, like there's no helping him...he thinks counting calories is for women anyway so like yeah

Honestly the other day he told me that he tries to lose weight but it doesn't work because his body wants to be beefy.he got mad because I laughed in his face and called him stupid. I really only thought that fat women used that as an excuse.
>>
>>36788505
If someone's whole purpose is to just lose fat (Girl) or a guy even then there's way easier ways to lose weight than tracking calories. IMO the only reason why anyone should track calories is someone who is lifting. Everyone else it's too much of a hassle to bother. Just give someone a guideline and say eat as much of vegis, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, chicken breast etc and they will most likely not be able to eat more than 1200/1500 women/men, also tell them to take out caloric dense foods like dairy, nuts, fatty junk foods etc.
>>
>>36792113
I know that keto is a meme diet, but maybe that's what he needs if he doesn't understand calorie counting. Then he would at least be eating in a caloric deficit without having to count calories.
>>
>>36792116
Thats not an effective way to lose weight though. Its not about what you eat but how much and you have no idea how much a person would eat, you dont know how much food it would take before a person became full. Whereas one perwon may not be able to eat over 1200/1500 another person might. Also after losing a certain amount there weight loss would stall because you have to recalculate your tdee and how much you eat when you lose weight. Also people usually fail on diets simply because they habe no willpower to just not eat certain foods so again it becomes about how much you eat not what you eat

You say only bodybuilders should count calories. Nah, obese people really need that too.
>>
>>36792139
I'd probably have a better time getting him to count calories than do Keto. Its hard for me to do it because I love carbs but that's all this man does is eat carbs.

I have a plan. Not sure how effective it'll be but I know it'll be some time before I can put it into motion. I'm going to force him to get a gym membership for us (thank God he at least has an interest to lift) and I'll lift with him and diet with him as well. That's like probably my best bet. It just sucks that it'll take some time before I can do that
>>
>>36788767
So much this. Lazy behavior got them there. You can't expect to become what you want to be if you maintain the mindset that got you there.
>>
File: image.jpg (800 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
800 KB, 1280x1707
>>36788522
I like the word 'modicum'.
>>
File: don't sweater it.jpg (91 KB, 920x528) Image search: [Google]
don't sweater it.jpg
91 KB, 920x528
>>36788505
Because it's a simple solution that only an idiot would have an excuse for not finding.

So if the reason they're not losing weight, that they've been fat all this time and losing sleep and feeling terrible and all this trash isn't because the fat genetics fairy or whatever, it's just because of their lack of action, it's inconsistent with the view they have of themselves and therefore it's unacceptable. I've had full two hour arguments with my mom and sister about it. My mom has a rough time because she got serious burns and skin grafts, and I try to help her understand how to work with it, but I've literally gotten her to the point where she explicitly states her body materializes energy from thin air. The dissonance is that deeply ingrained.

To them you're not insisting that calories are the foundation, you're insisting they're an idiot when clearly they're great. It's a mistake, when uneducated in the modern world, as easy to make as losing your keys. Except it's like losing your keys every time you've eaten at McDonald's and only a dipshit would lose their keys that many times. It's easier to lie to yourself than actually change and solve the problem.

>tl;dr: It's easier for them to believe you don't know what you're talking about than to accept their view of themselves is wrong.
>>
File: ea5.png (106 KB, 406x310) Image search: [Google]
ea5.png
106 KB, 406x310
>visiting parents this month
>their home is filled with soda, snacks, candy, icecream, etc.
>they bake cookies, pie, etc. often and will ask me if I want some
>their dinners are calorie bombs
>>
>>36791480
Don't eat it. What's more important, your progress or her feelings?
>>
>>36792518
Get on the bulk train bro. Who needs to cut
>>
>>36791480
Do some math, and write it down.
How much shredded beef on average? 2-4oz?
How much egg? .5-2 eggs??
The flour tortilla is easy to count.
>>
>>36788709
How would you know? One cookie from Panera is 440 calories. It would take 3 miles of pretty fast running to burn that off. One of those a day is enough to gain 1 lb a week if you're already at maintenance when you eat it. Why would you opt for maybe when you can be certain?
>>
>>36788972
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>36791771
>>"how do you know it's accurate?"

This is a very legitimate question.
>>
>>36788505
Because tracking calories is a strawman created by the food industry to prevent people from eating and becoming healthy.

You actually should track your macros (i.e. fats, proteins, vitamins, etc, in addition to calories) and lifestyle habits if you really wanted to be strong, healthy, good looking, and live long. Tracking calories is to human health what tracking fuel input is to car health. If you neglect your brake fluids, coolant, air filter, etc, and just concern yourself with "well, muh 97 fuel", your car will eventually break down regardless.
>>
>>36788505
>Calolries
>>
>>36791971

Moron. Just make a spreadsheet of your most consumed foods. Calculate all values based on 100g measurement. When you're portioning out your food you just adjust for that.

Ex. 100g of skinless chicken breast has 165Cal and 31g Protein (0g Carbs and 4g Fat too, but whatever). Then you put 238g of that on your plate. Multiply 165 x 2.38 and you get your cals, 31 x 2.38 and you get your protein. Easiest thing to do and you're calling it tedious.

Never gonna make it.
>>
>>36792774

When people say they're counting calories, they normally mean macros as well.
>>
>>36791480
They have a recipe add. Ask your mom what she put in (of shit with calories) and figure out how much you ate.
>>
>>36792807
>doing all this when you can just use mfp or a similar app
>>
>counting calories

Sure, I'll do that when I'm doing counting the steps I take during a day lol
>>
>>36788981
wasn't even bait nigger lmao
>>
>>36788573
Did she give you a reason? Fat people's reasons are always hilarious.
>>
>>36788781
What? Females have a harder time losing than men.. body want to hold on to fat for makin' babies/milk.
>>
>>36788573
my mom doesn't listen to me much, but I downloaded myfitnesspal for her and showed her how to use it and she's been losing weight eating at 1200. now i have to listen to her talk about her belly and thighs looking better. no thanks, ma
>>
File: 1457842460328.jpg (21 KB, 363x364) Image search: [Google]
1457842460328.jpg
21 KB, 363x364
>>36788972
Man obviously this is bait but it clearly means that the individual has below average muscle mass and above average fat Mass

>the kind of people who look decent until the clothes come off
>>
guys approx how many cals is it in a rather big hamburger at a restaurant?
>>
>>36793181
750+

The bread they use kills
>>
>>36793181
Depends.
~600-1,200+
Don't get hamburgers, get grilled fish or chicken.

Unless you're a skelly on a bulk.
>>
>>36793198
>>36793203
shit brahs, celebrating brother's birthday at burger restaurant. might have to starve myself the whole day greg o'gallagher style before then..
>>
>>36793227
Yeah.
Fast, or maybe just eat something small like sunflower seeds.
They might have a grilled chicken sandwich or something as well.
>>
>>36793250
yeah, that'll do. at least glad we're not getting pizza
>>
>>36792771
To be completely honest, its not accurate. Even assuming scientists know how to correctly calculate a 'calorie', the values given on nutrition labels are estimates based on the value of each ingredient in the recipe. These products are made in huge batches, and by the time they're finished each product can be very different. Like, if you were to buy two pre-packaged chocolate chip cookies. One could have way more chocolate chips in it than the other, and would have more calories.

For natural foods, the calories will vary depending on where/how it was grown or fed. Spinach grown in nutrient dense soil will have more calories (but also more nutrients) than spinach grown in poor soil... but a negligible difference. A Chicken from one farm could have been fed a different diet than a chicken from another farm, this will affect the total calories too.
>>
>>36792588
Shredded beef and egg is basically cheat code for maximum protons
>>
It happened when I said to a friend of mine who is a really spooky skeleton (6'1' - 120lbs), he's going to the gym for at least 2 years and gained maybe 4lbs at best, his lifts are still the same from the beginning
>>
>>36788505
I wish I could just not eat, perma bulking is such a pain in the ass, everything you eat for 3 months every day just becomes something disgusting and even the thought of eating it makes you want to not eat anything at all, but then you force it down, and you have another 1000kcal inside, and another 30 grams of protein
>>
Counting calories is only really good if you're eating pre-packaged foods. Once I switched to a more natural diet tracking just left too much room for error. So I came up with a mindfulness/calorie counting system that works pretty well for me:

>have a general idea of the calories in foods I regularly eat
>use Myfitnesspal to check the calories of fresh foods that I don't eat often
>1/4 plate protein, 1/4 plate carb (whole grains or fruit), 1/2 plate vegetables
> add fats as a condiment, portion related to their healthiness (very little bacon, generous portion of avocado)
>listen to body, eat slowing and stop as soon as you feel full
>if I want to eat something less healthy/prepackaged as a treat (especially Holiday meals or eating out) then I tack the calories all neurotically

Before, the ease of tracking pre-packaged products was preventing me from eating healthier natural ones, this system gives me a good balance but might not work for everyone. Oh, and I almost forgot:

>drink ALL the water
>>
>>36788709
Thank you. Counting and tracking calories is aspie as shit. Its flat out stupid on a human level. It takes maybe 5 minutes to understand what macros are in what foods. If you're bulking more starch carbs for energy and sugars before/after gym time or whenever you feel tired. If cutting skip em or eat a lot less of them. Wow weight loss. Wow i had to track everything i ate! And it's so fucking hard to walk 60 mins a day 5 days a week.

Calories in calories out.
>>
Mention to a gym buddy that i'm tracking my calories
> If I ever start doing that I want to to slap me in the face.
Why?
> I never want to care that much
Oh ok, well I just use it because I have a hard time eating a surplus of calories and I like to see my macros.
> Haha I just go eat a big fast food meal if I feel like im not eating enough

why /fit/...why?
>>
>>36792816
> when people say calories, they actually mean macros

In that case, this is a branding problem... Because to normies who aren't in the fit culture, calories just mean calories. And they will treat that with the derision that comes from their preconceived notions of what counting calories means.

If you really wanted to help your mom or some other normie become healthy, you need to rebrand "counting calories" to something less loaded like "ensuring proper macros" or "nutrition balance". Calling it "counting calories" is like if you were a child protection advocate and you phrased "child safety law" as "anti loli vagina access law"; your measure will never pass regardless of its contents.
>>
>have the opposite problem
>counting calories but I just can't eat enough to get 2400 calories

I'm 5'9 and stuck at 148-150 pounds.
>>
>>36793413
If you want to accurately measure how much you're eating, a food scale would be a good investment.
>>
>>36793643
Don't reword what I said.
I said that "When people say they're counting calories, they normally mean macros as well."

What's wrong with both?
>>
Can one of you professors of gains tell me what I can drink besides water when cutting?
>>
>>36793826
Diet soda. (No current evidence to support that artificial sweeteners are bad for us)
Tea.
Coffee.
Broth.
Etc.
Whey and water.
>>
>>36791586
So much this. I finally had to say look mom I'll give up tobacco if you give up your diabetes inducing diet
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 1107x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 1107x1063
>>36793294
It is so fucking accurate how about you go learn about how they calculate the amount of calories in food before you go and spew your fucking bullshit.

I bet you're one of those fat fuckers this thread is about. Go kys you misinformation spewing cunt.

To everyone else, it is basic chemistry to calculate the amount of calories in any amount of food.
>>
>>36792113

>"body wants to be beefy"

I see you didn't leave him yet you silly roastie/degenerate faggot.
>>
>>36792113
A calorie is the amount of energy it takes to heat one cubic centimeter of water one degree. That's it, it is a measurement of energy. If you are both old enough to have a child you should be able to understand this.
>>
>>36788505
>Anon, you've lost so much weight. Like, what did you do?
>Strict caloric reduction
>Oh, well...

1. Thats just because you're young
2. That's just because youre male
3. 1&2
4. I tried that it didnt work
5. My hormones
6. I cant because of my schedule
7. I cant because of my blood sugar
8. I would but I need to eat every so many whatever
9. That cant be all you did
10. I read a study that saud that whatever
11. I'm sure that worked for you but it doesnt work for everyone because whatever
12. I just eat healthier, counting calories doesnt matter

Every. Fucking. Time.
>>
>>36788901
Eat more you skeleton
>>
Calories aren't an exact science, anything can alter the real calorie amount from one food to another (even if it's the exact same kind of food) and depending on your body you will absorb more or less than the listed amount of calories due to metabolism and digestion differences etc. All those crumbs you leave have calories, those chocolate chips the company skimped out on when making cookies contain calories, charred food loses calories, a pizza you order might have more cheese this time than the listed calorie amount even though you didn't add extra cheese, it may have more toppings than usual or less, etc. etc. there's just so many factors, you should always estimate and not expect your calories to be absolutely perfect because they will never be, and if you are tying to lose weight always highball the amount of calories you're consuming so you leave room for error (your error, or manufacturing error) and you'll still lose weight. If you're aiming at 1800 calories for weight loss and your BMR is 2000 or something and every thing you eat has a few extra hidden calories you'll end up gaining weight. The amount listed on the label is not 100% accurate and neither is the amount listed on sites for produce or equivalent things that don't come packaged
>>
>>36793731
yeah, I use one for my protein. I just go by the portion size instead of the exact calories
>>
>>36793673
Maybe eat more?
>>
>>36794102
This
>>
>>36791404
Thats a funny story anon
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.