[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Big Guys Don’t Squat and Deadlift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9
File: squats-vs-deadlifts.jpg (39 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
squats-vs-deadlifts.jpg
39 KB, 1000x600
How come none of the big guys at my gym squat or deadlift? I have been going to the same gym for 4 years and I have NEVER seen a big guy squat, and Ive seen literally only two big guys deadlift, Is it because most big muscular guys have had some sort of injury over the years so they scrapped squatting and deadlifting? Or is it because theyve already "paid their dues" and opted for less taxing exercises as they got older?

I feel I'm the only one squatting and deadlifting in my gym
>>
>>36776029
It doesn't really matter what they're doing if they're going to roid anyway, so they can just go and do whatever.
>>
File: Bane_TDKR3.jpg (49 KB, 470x706) Image search: [Google]
Bane_TDKR3.jpg
49 KB, 470x706
Ask them why. All the big guys in my gym do some kind of squat and deadlift. Granted I never see them go atg, or they're doing some variation on the diddy like a sumo lift, but it's still happening
>>
>>36776029
Do you see every single workout they do?
Big guys at my gym do both
>>36776040
No
>>
>>36776082
same here, in fact the only people in the gym doing DLs and squats are the big guys... the exception being me.
>>
>>36776029
There's a big difference between gyms. I've trained regularly at 4 different gyms at this point and occassionally at 10+ other gyms. The gym culture differs massive from one gym to another. In most gyms, most people know NOTHING about lifting whatsoever. They just started with one of their friends at some point and did what everybody else was doing. And they continue doing this forever and only make gains after their newb gains when they go on a steroid cycle.
>>
File: Happy-Frog-Meme-19.jpg (70 KB, 1631x1571) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Frog-Meme-19.jpg
70 KB, 1631x1571
>>36776114
My gym may not be typical, though. There are several people that do the big lifts, and among the clientele and employees, there's a good number of competitive bodybuilders (both male and female) and strongmen.

>tfw one of the strongman employees gives you props on your diddylift
>>
>>36776029
Because strength =/= size. And a lot of them are on roids anyway.
>>
Some big dudes that i know squats, some dont deadlift. You can get big without those
>>
>>36776089
yes. There have been many studies on this.
If you're on roids, you gain muscle even without training.
>>
>>36776082
All the big guys in my gym do some kind of squat and deadlift, and all of them go atg. We have oly platforms, a bunch of ab wheels and boxes of weighted vests and dip belts. Doing hanging windshield wipers and dragon flags is normal here.
>>
Anon, you see at least one big guy in your gym doing those. And that guy is you, because if you've been going to gym for 4 years then you should be decent size
>>
>>36776272
Touché
>>
>>36776272
if he's natty he'll never get big
>>
>>36776397
And beyond that, you can still do whatever you want. You can fuck around and do light weight shit exercises and still get bigger than the average natty who trains and diets super strictly.
Sure, to get to Olympia Level, you need to do all three (training, diet, roids), but the average "big guy" who roids can do whatever and still be bigger than most natty lifters.
>>
>>36776029
you've been in the same gym for years, anon
>>
>>36776029
Why don't you ask them?
>>
>>36776029
define 'big guys'

if you mean genuinely big guys they probably deadlift and squat in a powerlifting gym, most commercial gyms have bars that only go up to ~250kg and you wouldn't load it up to that point anyway, since you'll be blamed if it breaks
>>
>>36776029

Everybody squats since it's the meme exercise. I don't see many people dead lifting. Maybe 3 or 4 guys
>>
>>36776126
This is how I've experienced it. I'm at a normie gym now and everybody just does bro splits and aren't very big or strong and I've never seen anybody squat more than 2p8 or deadlift more than 3pl8. And they basically never deadlift.
>>
all the big guys in my gym do machines only
/fit/ is a joke, inb4 hurr they're all roiding
>>
>>36776029
what ages are we talking about here?

as you get older the consequences of an injury far outweigh the benefits of doing risky compound exercises

when you're young and you tweak shit you'll be good to go in a week and won't have lost any gains

when you're older that shit might set you back 6 months or a year and you'll lose everything
>>
>>36776029
>massive guy at my gym
>4pl8 squats
>2pl8 cleans afterwords

crazy stuff
>>
>>36776040
Idiot. 'roids don't automatically pack muscle on, nor to they make one stronger, they simply allow one to recuperate much faster. Anybody on roids still has to put in the work.
>>
File: 1455386551830.png (221 KB, 391x336) Image search: [Google]
1455386551830.png
221 KB, 391x336
>>36779384
>>
Is there a way to build leg strength but not leg mass (I'm an athlete) while bulking?
>>
>>36779384
>roids don't make you pack on more muscle

lol dude at least do your research, even without lifting you can gain muscle on roids
>>
>>36779472
long-distance running or cycling

if you do want leg mass I've found there is nothing better than track sprints in cleats or minimalist shoes

even long-distance running in zero-drop shoes will blow your calves up

but this begs the question, why do you not want leg mass as an athlete?
>>
>>36779472
>athlete
>doesn't want leg mass

twink bdsm is not a sport anon
>>
>>36779497
I don't want muscle to make me slow and inflexible
>>
>>36779497
>>36779507

I'm fine with some mass but I don't want that starting strength meme leg size that will slow me down...
>>
>>36779508
this retard pretending to be me.. lol wtf
>>
File: 8024136.jpg (145 KB, 850x608) Image search: [Google]
8024136.jpg
145 KB, 850x608
>>36779508
>I don't want muscle to make me slow and inflexible

what fucking moron told you this?
>>
>>36779486
I've done it. Show me one study that backs up your nonsense.
>>
>>36779534
Football is a sport where mass is needed in order to take hits, etc. I play basketball where you don't need abnormally large legs to survive.
>>
>>36779384

You are completely wrong, literally the exact opposite of what you're saying is true.
Your willingness to call people idiots for having a differing opinion on a subject that you never researched, even superficially, shows how fucking willfully ignorant you are.

Please don't fucking say anything about anything ever again.
>>
>>36779384
troll, idiot, or liar
>>
>>36779558
this is the dumbest logic I've ever heard

you should be building functional strength regardless of 'bulk' or weight

whoever is teaching you this crap is beyond idiotic
>>
>>36779590
I need to reach 205 but I already have decently sized legs, my back is lagging. I am asking if it's possible to workout legs and build strength without causing hypertrophy. Why are you questioning my motives instead of answering my question? Is it because you don't have the knowledge?
>>
>>36779558
A couple guys who lived on my floor in college were on the basketball team (lower tier D1, but make the NCAA tournament most years), and they told me that they actually have pads they wear under their shorts to protect their legs from the pounding the take boxing out and setting picks. At higher levels even basketball becomes a contact sport
>>
>>36779577
>>36779580
>>36779486

By your logic, people shouldn't have to weight train at all if they're roiding, yet, they do. Weird.
>>
>>36779616
There will always be some level of hypertrophy when training for strength. That's because strength is a function of muscle size.
>>
>>36779647
they don't need to

lifting weights increases the amount of muscle they will gain from roids
>>
>>36779616
I'm questioning your core assumptions because I DO have the knowledge

you should be focused on functional strength, NOT size

you aren't a 7ft 280lb NBA player that has to manage their physique
>>
>>36779647
It's not his logic you daft cunt it's backed up research, you can get on roids and lay in bed all day and youl gain muscle. No one said you'd gain at the same rate as training would but you'd still gain
>>
>>36779497
Squatting and pole dancing don't go together unless you have strong as fuck abs.
>>
>>36779508
You can have all the muscle you want as long as you stretch. Look at cristiano ronaldo. His legs are fucking huge, he does a ton of stretches so his legs are flexible. He's extremely fast and agile.
>>
>>36779647
There was a study done where people did a cycle, one group did zero exercise and gained 10 pounds of muscle, the group that did exercise gained like 30 so exercise is needed for the best results on steroids but still you are still wrong

How can lions be fucking yoked? Their workout is walking around all day and maybe once or twice a day killing a small animal, which is the equivalent of swinging a kettle ball around randomly for 15 minutes. It's because they have lots of natural testosterone not because they hit the gym all the time.
>>
>>36779616
the fact that you are judging your athletic performance on the size of your body parts indicates that you are severely misinformed

So I ask, what are you trying to improve? And stop answering with specific body parts. WHAT are you trying to improve? Vertical? Lateral quickness? Durability?

Any half-decent trainer should have asked you these questions within the first 5 minutes of meeting with you.

>I need to reach 205

what does this even mean. Like seriously who is setting these fucking retarded goals, this sounds like junior high junior varsity weight training shit
>>
File: ass3.png (750 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
ass3.png
750 KB, 640x1136
>>36779384
Maybe you are going to tell aswell, that injecting test without exercies will not burn your fat?
>>
>>36779669
>>36779676

Citation needed
>>
>>36779384
>>36779434
im on a shit ton of roids, and I barely do a thing and I'm getting larger and leaner every day

shits straight magic yo

im $100 serious
>>
>>36779808
what're you on? where do you get it?

I was thinking letrozole+finasteride as a start
>>
File: carlcuck.jpg (39 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
carlcuck.jpg
39 KB, 600x615
>>36779797
Hello newfriend. This is one of the most regularly posted studies here.
>>
>>36780017
I've been here every day for 5 years and never seen that study
>>
>>36781633

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101

They found that giving steroids to men who didn't train at all caused them to gain more muscle than those who actually lifted.
>>
>>36781633
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/6/E1172.long
>>
>>36776029
It would be extremely painful.
>>
fulcrums and shit
>>
>>36779150
Pretty crazy that he's massive with those numbers, probs not natty
>>
>>36783895
he wasn't super massive but its possible he was using something
>>
>>36776029
Why do you care what other people do? It's like you're a nosey little cunt looking to stir up some trouble. Mind your own business faggot.
>>
>>36779384
lmao this fucking retard actually thinks you can't gain more muscle sedentary on gear than natty and lifting.
>>
>>36781738
>>36781849
Get BTFO faggot >>36781633
>>
The ignorance in this thread is astounding.
>>
>>36783991
Are you retarded?
>>
>>36784008
No, but you probably are if you think sterons don't get you big even when doing jack shit.
>>
>>36784031
Again, are you retarded?
>>
>>36784096
No, but you probably are if you think sterons don't get you big even when doing jack shit.
>>
>>36776029
is this a demo on how to get fucked in the ass?
>>
>>36776474
>he thinks U only need to take steroids to get to Olympia tier

Nigga u realize there's feather weight guys at even the shitty local "natural" bodybuilding shows, who are ton of gear.

Your so out of the loop.
>>
>>36784138
What the fuck are you talking about. If you want to get to Mr. Olympia level competition then you need steroids. You do know the difference between Mr. Olympia and a shitty local "natural" bodybuilding show, right?
>>
>>36784165
>reading comprehension
that guy is saying roids alone aren't enough, you need insulin/hgh and maybe even synthol to be olympia level
>>
File: steroids.jpg (33 KB, 347x480) Image search: [Google]
steroids.jpg
33 KB, 347x480
>>36779384
DELETE THIS
>>
>>36784194
>reading comprehension
Sorry, I'm not as adept at translating fucking retard as you. You're a natural. And most people use gear a catch all for any enhancer, except for retarded faggots who actually use it.
>>
>>36784236
>can't read
>calls others retarded
>>
Serious question: why would you not take a "safe" amount of performance enhancers if they work so well?
>>
>>36784337
1) you need a source
2) it's illegal in most if not all 1st world countries, most dont want to risk that
3) most people dont care that much
>>
>>36784305
>hurrr durrrr
You're trying too hard faggot.
>>
Wait, even after peer reviewed scientific studies were posted, there's still a guy here who thinks steroids won't build muscle while you sit on your ass and watch TV?

TOP KEK
>>
>>36776082
>variation
>sumo
lel
>>
>>36779508
>>36779472
With the exception of marathon running there is pretty much not a single sport where one does not benefit from leg mass and power. Especially something like basketball or football where you need to do explosive manouvers like sprints and jumps.
>>
>>36784337
because even a "safe" amount taken regularly has a chance to effect your hormone levels long term, and they most certainly will effect them long term if you take them long enough.
>>
>>36776029
Because they started lifting before those meme exercises became popular.
>>
>>36785931
Yeah, but SS-style squatting will not develop that power.
>>
>>36787911

Its actually pretty good for that. Arguably not the best style (depending on your needs, naturally) but both leg and hip strength is huge part of performance in most sports.
>>
>>36776251
So you go to a meme gym frequented by autists and seem proud of it. Why?
>>
>>36787918
Nope. You're wrong. Not to mention that SS-style low bar squats are more of a back exercise. If you want to squat for athletics, do high.bar.
>>
>>36784138
I literally said to get to the olympia level, you need to do all three (or rather four)
>hard training
>strict diet
>tons of steroids and other PEDs
>elite genetics

And there is a huge range of "being on gear"
Is the guy on 100mg test comparable to someone who's blasting a cocktail of 1-2 whole grams of gear? no.
>>
>>36787946
>Not to mention that SS-style low bar squats are more of a back exercise
They involve the back more than high-bar squats but they're still a leg exercise. The only sport where it would make a big difference athletically what sort of squat you use is weightlifting. A lot of gridiron and rugby coaches actually advocate low-bar because you don't push from full knee flexion in those sports.
>>
>>36788953

The love for lowbar squats in those sports is basically threefold.

1. The sports do rely a lot on hip strength
2. A lot of the strength coaches are former PLers or people who trained under them (this is also where the love for box squats came from, which also have a lot of uses for athletes)
3. There's a real limit to how much deadlifting you can have athletes do because of recovery limits/injury potential and you still need the hamstring/glute/back development, so go for a more compromise style of squatting.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.