[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calisthenics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: green shoes.jpg (455 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
green shoes.jpg
455 KB, 2560x1440
What does /fit/ think of Calisthenics?
>>
those pants look 'comfortable'

go to the gym fag i cringe when i see somene doing body weight, especially cause they usually go to the gym to do it
>>
>>36774436
Love doing it, screwing around on my own I'm slowly but surely getting better at barwork.

Also, good choice OP. Jessica is a qt.
>>
>>36774436

they're gay, and so are you
>>
Best avenue for neet like me who can't leave home without panic attack.

>pic related. always alone.
>>
>>36774441
Enjoy getting good at lifting heavy bars but still having shit mobility, balance and relative strength.
>>
It's great to have balance and strength. Don't listen to the faggots who say you can't build muscle mass with it. One can always improve the techniques and make them more difficult.

Ask people who make fun of calisthenics to do a handstand push up or one legged pistol squat. Laugh at them for profits.
>>
>>36774436

>tfw i allways get a diamond boner when i see the girl from ops pic in the callisthenics video
>>
That looks hard on the wrists. I don't think mine could ever support that kind of angle.
>>
>>36774927
Very hard on the wrists. There are ways to load them progressively.
>>
>>36774436
a nice complement, won't replace weight lifting. At least some dumbbells are sorely needed.
>>
>>36774436
I wonder how her farts smell...
>>
>>36774436
Prefer them to lifting. But then I prefer just about any form of exercise to 'picking up heavy things and putting them back down'. I mean lifting is effective af, but it is literally the most boring form of exercise I can imagine.
>>
>>36774436
I've been doing it exclusively for 6 months now. I just find it way more enjoyable than lifting. Gains might be a little slower but they are definitely still there
>>
decent calisthenics practitioners would be able to lift very decent weights without touching a barbell in their lives prior to that

decent lifters wouldn't be able to do even quite basic calisthenics exercises (see Furious Pete trying to do a muscleup lol)

i think it speaks for itself
>>
>>36776000
routine mate? I wanna get into it because im now a poorfag student
>>
>>36776247
Not the guy you're replying to but Convict Conditioning is a good place to start. Sure, it leaves out a LOT, but it's a relatively quick progression to some pretty impressive movements, and you can get into a pretty good shape both visually and especially mobility wise through it.
>>
>>36774904
Are pistols squats really supposed to be hard? I could do it the first time I tried and in a couple weeks was repping out sets of 8 with ease. As far as legs go BW sucks
>>
Makes great accessory work but you will make basically no gains if it's your primary workout
>>
>>36776358
I mean if you're fairly light and mobile in the first place, a lot of calisthenics are going to be easier for you than a lot of other people.

That said, if you can do pistol squats right away from nothing, that probably means your legs are really quite strong in relation to your body weight and that your balance is great. Took me half a year to get to the point where I could do them, but I did start from 220 lbs lard-ass status.
>>
>>36774436
Ask somewhere this board has a barbell fetish and when i come to bodyweight training every response is "lmao nogainns/legs" "but he's a nigger" "yeah gymnasts look good but they're manlets and they roid so my skinnyfat lanky frame is much more attractive". Long story short if you want real info on this subject check another source
>>
would you do calisthenics on rest days?

>tfw can bench lmao1pl8
>don't think i can do pushups without hurting my wrists
>>
I'm too tall for bodyweight shit.
>>
>>36776593
Proper calisthenics are about working out specific muscle groups, just like lifting is, so it's hardly a 'rest day' exercise, unless you are focusing on some muscle group you're neglecting in your lifting.

You might want to look into yoga or some such instead.
>>
>>36776612
No you're not. My 6'4 friend is by far the most impressive calesthenist that I know. Takes him a bit more effort, but effort is good for getting stronk.
>>
>>36776327
thank you matey, hope you have a good life anon
>>
File: recommended routine bwf.png (355 KB, 2485x3512) Image search: [Google]
recommended routine bwf.png
355 KB, 2485x3512
>>36776247
>>
Anyone interested in calisthenics/gymnastics should go here:
>>>/asp/1083806
>>
>>36776547
this x1000
>>
>>36774436
>What does /fit/ think of Calisthenics?

For the most part the calisthenics market (Barstarzz et al) is sold by individuals on gear who don't use bodyweight exercises as their primary training to young men who are too scared to cough up for a gym membership. See >>36774842

It's snake oil promising strength and size when it will do anything but.

>BUT MUH CONVICT CONDITIONING

Go on the DragonDoor forums to see case studies of men who have been on the program for years without getting anywhere close to the harder exercises and who still look like shit.

>Checkmate

To get big and/or strong you need to do what everyone who is big and/or strong has done: lift heavy shit.
>>
>>36776681
>BUT MUH CONVICT CONDITIONING

Literally progressed from 0 to the max in 3/6 exercises in a year, and I look way better than I used to. Sure, I'm no Adonis, but I am no longer a lardass either and my range of motion is something that I literally never believed I could possibly have.

these 'case studies' sure sound like BUT I AM EATING AT A DEFICIT AND I STILL AM NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT, ie people are lazy and pretend to be working hard online.
>>
>>36774904
>Don't listen to the faggots who say you can't build muscle mass with it

Name someone who has built mass with bodyweight exercises who isn't a 5'8 chemically enhanced gymnast that has been training since childhood.

An iron cross is the ultimate feat of bodyweight strength, but I doubt even 1 in 100 who start bodyweight training as an adult would be able to achieve it.
>>
>>36776373
nice meme
>>
>>36776681
>Go on the DragonDoor forums to see case studies of men who have been on the program for years without getting anywhere close to the harder exercises and who still look like shit.

That's because they're trying to progress too fast and in doing so they make no progress at all. Progressing is a lot more complicated and requires a lot more tiny little steps than just adding more weight to a bar. It's difficult, but it's possible, and that makes it all worth it.

>>36776714
>Name someone who has built mass with bodyweight exercises who isn't a 5'8 chemically enhanced gymnast that has been training since childhood.

This is the exact same kind of defeatism fatasses bring forward. "Name someone who is at a healthy weight in their adult life that isn't super rich to afford healthy food and hasn't been eating healthy since childhood."

See this guy for example, you can clearly see the progress he's been making over the past years since he started making videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bboySaza/videos
>>
>>36776702
>Literally progressed from 0 to the max in 3/6 exercises in a year

I've been in and around the kettlebell (and by proxy Convict C.) community for over ten years. That's so against what I've seen and read by those doing CC that I'm calling bullshit.

Post a timestamp video with your masked ass doing 2 reps minimum of one handed handstand push ups and pull ups and we cann talk.

P.S.

Convict Conditioning is legit snake oil ghost written by the owner - and chronically unfit - owner of Dragon Door John Du Cane with the intention of cashing in on the prison fitness market. The pictures were staged and model used in the pictures was a gymnast in youth and couldn't complete the high level exercises.
>>
>>36776767
>That's because they're trying to progress too fast and in doing so they make no progress at all. Progressing is a lot more complicated and requires a lot more tiny little steps than just adding more weight to a bar. It's difficult, but it's possible, and that makes it all worth it.

>"MUH SELF CONSTRUCT. I CAN'T EVEN"

You're speculating. Go look at the users on Dragondoor who post workout logs. You'll find many that do it as written exactly, and just as many who up and play with volume. The result? All still look shit and are not strong.

See:

>>36776773
>"Convict Conditioning is legit snake oil ghost written by the owner - and chronically unfit - owner of Dragon Door John Du Cane with the intention of cashing in on the prison fitness market. The pictures were staged and model used in the pictures was a gymnast in youth and couldn't complete the high level exercises."

You're being sold a fantasy.

>See this guy for example, you can clearly see the progress he's been making over the past years since he started making videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bboySaza/videos

You that dense? He uploaded his first video in 2013 and his first bodyweight video was him performing and explaining a handstand push up. My guess? Gymnast through childhood who keeps it up as a hobby.

Going that route will give you a great gymnastic body. Starting as an adult will not get you anywhere. For all but a tiny few high level gymnastic exercises require training from childhood.
>>
>>36774888
enjoy being small ;)

some people have different goals
>>
>>36776547
There used to be a bodyweight general here a couple of years ago but I guess it disappeared with the rest of the content
>>
>>36774436
Muh dick
>>
>>36776890
People likely got bored of the barbell autists
>>
>>36776817
>He uploaded his first video in 2013 and his first bodyweight video was him performing and explaining a handstand push up.

Come on man, handstand push ups are pretty easy as far as bodyweight exercises go, especially when you don't weigh a whole lot (his info page says he is 83kg at 175cm, probably a couple kg less three years ago if you see how different he looks now).

If his first video was of him doing a planche, I would agree, but he's struggling with a straddle planche. If it worked the way you seem to think it does, he would be able to hold 2 minute perfect form straight planches no problem.

>>36776890
It moved:
>>36776660
>>
>>36776942
Ah! thanks man
>>
>>36774436
is good if it's contestualized in a structured training program.
weighted dips and pullups are great compound exercises, back and front levers are great for upper back developement and joint condtioning, leg raises and dragon flags are good core exercises.
but you just cant train effectively using only badyweight movements
>>
>>36776993
why not? Resistance is resistance. Dont be stupid
>>
>>36776681

>For the most part the calisthenics market (Barstarzz et al) is sold by individuals on gear who don't use bodyweight exercises as their primary training to young men who are too scared to cough up for a gym membership.

Accurate. However, bodyweight as complimentary exercises are fantastic, but the standard progressions for those take way too long.

There is this misconception among those that practice bodyweight that the progressions have to be strictly bodyweight. Using pulleys or weight vests you can provide the essence or progressive overload that makes barbell so amazing.
>>
>>36774888
> relative strength
>>
>>36776747
Consider suicide
>>
>>36774436
It's literally the same as lifting, just uncessecary complicated. It about as simple to do when we're talking about basic shit, but to get strenght and mass you need to add more resistance and do harder exerices.

It's easy with lifting, just put more plates on a barbell. With bodyweight you either do the same(i.e. weighted dips\pull ups) or do more harder and complicated exercises(i.e. one-handed push ups and pull ups). If your goal is not doing specifically those and other acrobatics and skill-based exercises, but just becoming more muscular, then there is no difference and lifting is just easier and more conviniet. Lifting also allows you to train specific body parts and even isolate muscles, while bodyweight do not.

I also feel VERY negative about convict conditioning and stuff like that, this is basically taking simple exercises and routines and turning it into some kind of voodoo magic with "right" progressions.

Last but not least, there is really no need to fully commit to one or another, unless commiting to one of the type of routine is your goal.
>>
Love BW workouts, OP.
Was about to make a thread on it too.
>>
>>36774436
Hard to start, hard to maintain (weather and season dependant) and i guess hard to progress past a certain point, aside from that, still requires good diet to get big.
>>
>>36776993
this
also, bw exercises are great for beginners; push-ups and pull-ups (even negatives) will be far more beneficial than lightweight bench press, lat pulldowns etc
>>
I only do muscle ups and chin-ups, and I do the chin-ups with weights.

>>36774904
>Ask people who make fun of calisthenics to do a handstand push up or one legged pistol squat
Pistol squats are easy as fuck, and are more about flexibility than actual leg strength. Have fun trying to find someone who actually lifts who can't do one.
>>
>>36774436
Resistance is resistance, your body doesn't know the difference.

Progressive overload is the key, always.
>>
>>36777840
i always thought it shit for nabs.
For example, got my bro started. He was untrained skinny 165 lbs or so. Not even able to do support on rings. not even able to hold HS against wall. no basic bitch back/front lever on rings. That's pretty much where body weight strength training starts. The shit before it like
>push-ups and pull-ups
are wank. pull ups not so wank can go higher etc.
>>
>>36774436
Check out /asp/, they have a bodyweight thread.

It works nicely for me, supplemented with some dumbbells. I used to be a gymnast so there's nothing complicated about most exercises. Saves me the gym membership and an hour per workout that it'd take to get to the gym and back. The weather doesn't matter since I have a doorframe pullup bar and improvised for dips and rows. I'll get rings once I need them.
>>
>>36778099
>Pistol squats are easy as fuck, and are more about flexibility than actual leg strength. Have fun trying to find someone who actually lifts who can't do one.

Implying that most lifters have that flexibility?
>>
>>36774436
If you're a skelly they're good to put some basic muscle on, but if you are in good shape and still do a "calisthenics" routine you are a try hard special snowflake who wants attention, and who thinks he's to special to do normal barbell and dumbbell lifting routines
>>
>>36776011
Cal fag wouldn't be able to squat or deadlift shit. A lot of lifters can do muscleups easy as fuck. They're not really strength, more knowing the technique to it. I had never done calisthenics in my life prior to my time in the army, but when I was in, since we didn't have access to a gym through training, I made a routine. The first time I ever tried to, I could do planche, tuck planche, handstand press, L sits, Superman pushups/hold, Aztecs etc.
>>
File: 3b4.gif (685 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
3b4.gif
685 KB, 500x500
>>36774441
>especially cause they usually go to the gym to do it
It's a motivation thing>>36776818
>;)
>not using the smiley with the carat nose
>>
>>36780043
You never managed to do a planche, and I doubt you managed a tuck planche either - the fact that you list both of them and actually put the tuck planche in second place shows you don't even know what they are or what the difference between the two is. It's literally impossible your tendons could handle the load, unless you're a midget with the weight of a feather.
>>
>>36780554
I've been lifting 2 years, so I'm not of any decent size. I had to put them in some sort of order, didn't I?
>>
>>36781160
You did not do a full planche without practice anon - that's about as ridiculous as claiming that you did 1/2/3/4 without ever lifting weights before.

It's not a planche if you bend your arms.
>>
>>36782012
He probably thinks bent elbows on the stomach is a tuck planche
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.