[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stronger legs without bigger pants?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: NQsZ-gh2Vlo[1].jpg (71 KB, 604x601) Image search: [Google]
NQsZ-gh2Vlo[1].jpg
71 KB, 604x601
I want to continue getting stronger but don't want my legs to get bigger and can't afford to replace all the pants I bought about a year ago. My goals simply to push more weight with my legs which triggers other muscle growth and also improves my cycling.

I used to lift with higher reps and lower sets for my legs, but I recently shifted to a leg press routine of 5x5 followed with a 1x20 grand finale. For accessory work I do 2x10 of leg extensions and hamstring curls on machine. I also do some pretty intense step-ups with dumbbells as a warm-up before the leg presses.

In addition to the lifting I also do about 50 miles per week of bicycle commuting and another 70-100 on weekends. I think that has probably preventing me from growing real "tree trunks."

Is there any way I can modify my routine to continue increasing the strength of my legs without adding bulk?

Pic not related, but for your time
>>
If you eat at maintenance your legs won't be growing but you'll still get stronger over time.

Also doing EXPLOSIVE reps tends to prevent crazy leg growth.
>>
You can't. You either train your whole body and don't eat surplus, thus getting stronger and not growing, or you don't train legs and eat big, thus growing but minimizing leg growth, but not getting stronger legs.
>>
Will eating surplus on upper body days and deficit on lower body days, give me upper body growth but not lower body? I'm currently a t-rex, you see
>>
>>36751820
no.

if you are eating at surplus to get a bigger upper body but want your legs to stay the same, just work your legs in only very low reps 95% 1rm and keep it super low volume.

alternatively you can develop endurance and only work legs legs with sets of 15+

idealy though you should just drop leg volume down to maintenance and focus on developing upperbody until it catches up to your satisfaction.
>>
>>36752013
Something like squat and deadlift 3x3 one time a week?
>>
>>36752117
This is reasonable. I have the same problem in that my legs (and glutes)are overall yuuge. Just keep the volume low and you should be okay.
>>
>>36752264
Squats and deadlifts and occasional hamstring curls are also the only exercises I do for my legs
>>
legit was about to ask this question
>>
File: Calves[1].jpg (116 KB, 1952x1536) Image search: [Google]
Calves[1].jpg
116 KB, 1952x1536
>>36752282
What about pic related?
>>
Thinking about doing this for leg day:

3x3 Squat (high bar) [3-4 varm-up sets]
1x3 Deadlift [3-4 varm-up sets]
3x8 Leg curl
5x8 standing calf raises
4x15 seated calf raises
>>
Train in muay thai or kickboxing instead of just lifting if you don't want bulky legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ-mnpXvPY8
>>
>i want to get stronger
>i dont want to get bigger

Then you better be an anime character because that's how this works in real life
>>
>>36754172
>you cant get stronger without getting bigger

jesus fucking christ how dumb are you?
>>
>>36752717
He's talking about his quads, anon, not his calves.
>>
>>36754841
See: >>36752282
>Squats and deadlifts and occasional hamstring curls are also the only exercises I do for my legs
>my legs

Calves are not part of legs now?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.