[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on SS vs SL for beginners trying to gain mass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: received_1055827664463648.jpg (62 KB, 740x1074) Image search: [Google]
received_1055827664463648.jpg
62 KB, 740x1074
What's your opinion on SS vs SL for beginners trying to gain mass
>>
>>36744498
Do ss and gomad and you will gain mass. All of the mass.
>>
Left girls body is basically 9/10
>>
>>36744521
Chandler Bailey
https://www.instagram.com/chanbailey_/
>>
Greyskull or PPL
>>
Go with SL then switch to SS once you plateau
>>
>>36744498
They are more or less the same program, with two differences: Starting strength calls for 3x5 while stronglifts calls for 5x5, and starting strength has power cleans while stronglifts has barbell rows. Power cleans, in my opinion, are more valuable to a beginner than barbell rows. They are an explosive exercise, they recruit almost every muscle in the body, and they are the first step on your way to being able to do a full clean. I also think that 3x5 is a better place to start at than 5x5, so I'd say SS wins out overall. Honestly though you will see pretty similar results with either program because they are so similar.
>>
>>36744516
Even though SS is every other day, should I still drink milk everyday and why? Sorry if that's a stupid question. Also what could on the days off?
>>
>>36744608

I was just joking. Defintely don't lol.

Drink as much milk as you want but a gallon is way too much. It puts on a lot of unnecessary fat. If you want to bulk just go 500 over tdee or 250 over for less fat gain
>>
>>36744675
Oh right, that explains a lot, I've got protein shake, is that alright ?
>>
>>36744721
sure. Treat it like any other food.
>>
>>36744498
Pick one and stick to it
Not being mean here
Just stick to it, read it know it, breath it
And the world is yours
>>
>>36744498
Keep attention to your joints.. you will go up in weight fast so: form is key!
>>
>>36744552
Tbqh I feel like greyskull's volume is a bit low for babbyweight, and beginners have no business judging what accessories they should add, good intermediate though
>>
I did strong lifts and I thimk for a beginner it's better. I don't think power cleans are all that great unless you need to develop explosiveness for a sport or you want to go into Olympic lifting. It's a technical lift you should be taught by a coach. Barbell rows are simpler and will build upper back mass better. The rep scene for strong lifts turns to 3x5 after you reset several times. However the 5x5 in the beginning helps you learn form at an easiervweight. My 2 centavos.
>>
>>36744552
>ppl

absolutely not, only for intermediate+
>>
>>36744608
You're not supposed to actually do gomad. It's not a real plan at all. The point was to shut up the people who claim they can't gain. I don't know why that even had to be pointed out as wrong since its obvious.
>>
>>36744498
SS is a much more complete program, since SL is just a copypaste of the first version of SS, which was pretty shitty for developing back/arm strength. Mehdi just added pullups and skullcrushers and calle it a day (I think?).
SS on the other hand is a lot more developed now. Tbf they are basically the same shit, but the SS template is easier to follow and progress on. It's also a lot more fun cause more variety of exercises.
Both will work if you stick to them tho.
>>
SS is best

Do GOMAD if you're hungry skeltal
>>
>>36745225
>The rep scene for strong lifts turns to 3x5 after you reset several times.

Can you please elaborate, good sir?
>>
File: chandlerbailey0.jpg (69 KB, 540x711) Image search: [Google]
chandlerbailey0.jpg
69 KB, 540x711
>>36744498
>tfw no gorgeous blue-eyed brown hair gf
>>
I had success doing SL till I hit 1xBW squats then switched to 3x5
I also do 3x5 OHP
then everything else like regular
>>
>>36744498
SS + GOMAD
4 scoops of weight gainer 2-3 times a day every day
>>
>>36745465
He had it so after you miss a rep to retry the weight two more times. If you don't get it then deload 20% and start working your way back up. Once this happens the third time you reduce the number of sets to three. This rep scheme will take you very far. Once you reset three more times you switch to 3x3. The 1x5 and then 1x3. I'm pretty sure this is how mehdi lays it out. So in that sense it becomes like SS just with rows. There are different versions of SL around but I think this was the final version.
>>
>>36745986

But at what weight should you be switching to 3x5? I went up to a 2pl8 squat, and had to reset. It's currently killing my will to work out lately though, since I am sitting there beating my quads in to loosen them up.
>>
File: 2016-04-09_11.28.31_1.jpg (122 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-09_11.28.31_1.jpg
122 KB, 1080x1080
The age old question. I only preach SL because I had decent results and am not a big fan of cleans. Just add accessories and with proper diet and you're good to go.
>>
>>36746142
What accessories did you add?
>>
>>36746447
Weighted dips, pull ups, curls, lat raises etc.
>>
>>36744521
> average non obese white girl

Ok.
>>
>>36744498
You should only do SS if you can't squat your body weight or do a single pullup. It's called STARTING STRENGTH for a reason. If you can do that you can start with SL, then PPL, Texas Method, Greyskull, etc. depending on your needs/goals.
>>
>>36746447
By the looks of it, pants and a belt.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.