[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /fit/ push through that mental barrier of pan and wanting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: fitness-work-out-gym-exercise.jpg (67 KB, 774x500) Image search: [Google]
fitness-work-out-gym-exercise.jpg
67 KB, 774x500
How does /fit/ push through that mental barrier of pan and wanting to give up?
>>
>>36743832
pain*
>>
>>36743832
Just give up
>>
well in the service they drill it into you that you dont have feelings and are a robot
>>
>>36743834
That's right OP, push through the pain. Push through the pain so you can injure yourself and lose all your gains. That's right!
>>
>>36743860
Yeah, the plan is to join the Army so I'm working as hard as I can but as soon as it starts to hurt, my body screams at me to give up. I know I can go further but its almost impossible to push through.
>>
>>36743871
Does that really happen? I read a lot, and in every book about Special Forces or Navy SEALS they talk about pushing through your mental barrier, being not only physically strong but mentally as well. The guy talks about how men stronger than him, fitter than him, we're too weak willed to get through BUD/S
>>
>>36743880
ill just tell you this, be able to complete the basic pt test before you go, if you can do that you'll be fine
>>
I do my workouts in the form of a checklist so I cant trick myself into giving up.
>>
>>36743906
I mean I can do it, its just a bit of a struggle..

Should I be able to do it with ease?
>>
It's all from your childhood. You know those difficult times when your dad said "It builds character"? He wasn't lying.
>>
>>36743932
Oh thats a good idea. My workouts have no structure given that I do it with a group, and a pair of PT's tell us what to do next. They might be like "ok squat jumps for a minute, then mountain climbers, ok quick break then we're gonna do some sprints" and it goes on like that for about 45 minutes.
>>
>>36743949
Yeah haha, you're totally right. I was actually thinking this too, when things come easy in your childhood, you give up faster. I know theres a field of Kung-Fu that requires you to start at a very young age or you won't have the mental strength to do it or something

But no, I really am trying to crush that mindset. I'm sure it is possible.
>>
>>36743934
aslong as you can complete it with passing scores ur fine. actually run the damn 2 miles to, aloooooot of people try to pace themselves by jogging/running and fuck up their time
>>
Its all about discipline. Practice makes perfect, especially with the mind. When you form habits, forming habits becomes a habit. The more you set your mind to do things and do them the easier it will become.

Keep pushing through. Keep forming and breaking habits. Keep pushing your comfort zone. It will become as easy and autonomic as breathing soon enough. Its called neuroplasticity. It's the /fit/ of the mind.
>>
>>36743934
o and heres the link for the scores if you were informed wrong

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-basic-training-pft
>>
>>36743834
No, Pan, like the Greek satyr.
>>
>>36743975
Cheers. Running is the one thing I'm good at, I'm fairly certain I'll be at the front of the pack, strength and mental fortitude is what I need.

I was just hoping there was some neat little hack to help with the mental side of things...
>>
>>36743832
If you've ever been seriously competitive in a sport, you'd have learned that there are much worse things than a painful workout. If you're training for something with serious stakes, you'll do anything to gain that extra edge and prove yourself to your teammates. Your body won't betray you for doing too many pushups, but it will if you let it get weaker than your opponent.

If you're going to train, train to win. Otherwise it's just time down the drain.
>>
>>36743971
>But no, I really am trying to crush that mindset. I'm sure it is possible.
Of course its possible. You just need to build up your mental strength and personal integrity.

Do you lie? Stop lying. Are you embarrassed of your hobbies? Flaunt them. Take on difficult situations head on and reward yourself afterwards.

In the end the only thing stopping you from succeeding is yourself. It's all mindset. If you go into something expecting to fail you will bail. Go in expecting to succeed.
>>
>>36743994
I'm in the Australian Military, but thanks anyway dude :)

>>36743988
Thats reassuing to hear, I've tried to maintain my work out times and days these past few weeks, refusing to take days off. It'll come with time I guess
>>
>>36744008
>>36744018
These are actually super refreshing tips. I know sometimes I do go into a workout thinking "Fuark, how am I meant to manage that"

Thanks a lot /fit/.
>>
>>36744042
o my bad lol i thought we were talking about the U.S but im sure my tip works for any basic training pt test lol
>>
>>36744056
np my man. you'll make it, simply because you're open to changing your behavior.

now go out there and turn your daydreams into reality
>>
>>36744065
Yeah I was having a bit of a browse and its about the same for us Australians.
>>
>>36743932
did you read Checklist Manifesto? you might like it if not.
>>
>>36743832
self hatred
>>
>>36743900

If by "pain" you mean being tired then I guess it's just willpower yeah

However if the "pain" you're referring to is a hernia from deadlifting incorrectly you're better off going directly to the doctor instead of "pushing through it"
>>
>>36743832
FUCK YOU PAIN I DON'T GIVE A FUCKING SHIT I'M TOO STRONG FOR THIS LIGHTWEIGHT PAIN BULLSHITWREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's a very primal.process.
>>
Honestly I don't really feel much pain while working out. I usually lift to near failure (one more rep on dB bench would give me a concussion) and when running my legs turn into bricks, butbibpush through and hity goal.
Condition your muscles be pushing a little harder every time and they won't hurt very badly.
>>
>>36743832
Anger.

Rage is the best tool you can possibly bring to the gym.
>>
Masochism
"Dont lose your way" on mp3 player on repeat
>>
>>36745907

This. Honestly. I'm a pretty placid guy and finally realising this made all the difference to my workouts

Think of shit that makes you angry, shitty experiences you've had, especially if they relate to not being strong, /fit/, or dedicated enough, and then crystallise that feeling of not wanting to repeat them again

Music is good, but to each their own; for me:

For lifting: Angry rap/hip hop, lyrics based on how great I am

For cardio / anything where you have to get through a pain barrier: Euphoric dance / electronica to put me in some kind of zen state above the plain of human frailties

Also I like watching boxers' camp training vids before a workout and pretending I'm training for some big fight
>>
>>36743832
I tell pan to leave me alone and play his flute somewhere else
>>
File: 1454740019885.jpg (205 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1454740019885.jpg
205 KB, 960x720
Ignore it and just keep pushing. There's no special mental trick. Just fucking get it done with, you pussy.

>all these edge lords that resort to anger and self hatred
>>
I recommend Daytona USA for cardio.
>>
>>36743832
>I workout
>I have a daughter
>I tell her not to give up
>Therefore, I cannot give up before her eyes.

I guess I want to be role model. I never had enough motivation for just myself, but for them, I have more than enough. Taking care of yourself is the foundation of self-esteem. All of their lives, the jews will be pushing that Milery Citrus "singer" on them. Plenty of girls will envy her life of queefing on a microphone in front of thousands of people. Mine will laugh.

Maslow hierarchy of human needs starts with health. It is fundamental.
>>
>>36743832
>thinking about not giving up
>thinking about PT
>thinking

Stop that, OP. Just zone out.
Do math problems in your head, count the number of wonky-looking trees you see, see how many of your class/platoon buddies you can smell as you run past them, think about what that one girl you saw at the chow hall yesterday's butthole looks and smells like. Yeah, it's probably pink. Fuck yeah. Those lululemon leggings. You should get her number, or at least her instagram. You think she's into lifting and shit? Probably just yoga. There should be an REI around this town somewhere, you could meet a whole bunch of climber chicks there. Yeah.

Forreal, Fuck the "Just focus on getting over that next hill" and "push through" shit. Just don't think about it. Chugging along a ruck/run/swim/bearcrawl/lowcrawl/lunchhourworthof8countbodybuilders is stupid easy as long as you're just thinking about other dumb shit.

Mentally write a speech, have a hypothetical argument with whoever, think about buttholes, just get your brain locked onto something else and you'll be hearing killhat/cadre/whoever yelling "RECOVER" before you know it.
>>
>>36746820
>I have a daughter

SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN
>>
I lie to myself with the "almost done" chant. I hate putting effort into something and having it taken away from me. Makes me feel cheated and gives me that fuck you attitude
>>
Extreme suicidal self hatred
>>
>>36743900
Lots and lots of men drop out of BUD/S with repetitive stress injuries, too. Then practically all of the ones who pass and become SEALs end up with serious joint and back problems.

If you don't have to live that life, it's probably best not to.
>>
File: not-today.jpg (5 KB, 160x90) Image search: [Google]
not-today.jpg
5 KB, 160x90
"There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'." The Many-Faced God (alternatively known as the God of Death) is a deity worshipped by the mysterious cult of assassins known as the Faceless Men, who are headquartered in the Free City of Braavos.
>>
>>36743832
Mental toughness or pushing through barriers or whatever is is simply a matter of wanting the thing enough. If you want it, you'll do it, if not, you'll give up.
>>
>>36747918
Some of the ones who make it get injured too but they just hide it. There was this thread on >reddit about a seal who had a hernia the entire process, and talked about this other guy who broke something on his fucking neck or something during boats on heads and the guy just kept going.
>>
>>36744088
hey man what are you doing in the RAA? ive got my assessment day in a week for gap year rifleman
>>
>>36743832
Rub some Icey Hot on your balls. Continue this for a week and you'll be fine
>>
>>36743860
tfw I'll never be a robot with perfect nutrition or strength

='( hold me brehs
>>
>>36743832
If you feel pain you're doing it wrong faggot, what you should feel is exhaustion and not being able to do more, then you stop.
>>
I enjoy it.Feel like fainting or puking because am deadlifting heavy on a empty stomach with caffeine??Keep lifting till it happens.You would be surprised how strong and limitless you actually are.
>>
>>36743900
My cousin did two years in the 75th reg before getting injured and discharged. The following year we were all gathered at Thanksgiving. BBQ outside, it was fucking cold. He is wearing a tshirt. I remember his brother asking him if he needed to borrow a sweatshirt and all he responded with is that he had learned to not be cold.

It's all about acknowledging that you are in a shit situation and then putting it aside.
>>
>>36744831
Samesies. I always go into fight or flight mode for my last reps
>>
How can I learn to push myself without weed?

I'm guessing that I'll always be pushing myself even once (if) I actually make process?

>if
I've been doing nothing for so fucking long now I'm closer to not making it than making it, honestly.
>>
I never want to give up
>>
>>36743832
Think about why I'm doing what I'm doing
Focus on breathing and staying calm
Say a prayer or many
Tell myself I don't have far to go/one more rep
Tell myself I'll regret it if I don't finish
Don't be last
Remind myself that it's not as bad after its done
People have gone through worse

Basically I talk to myself. Coach myself through or change my perspective on it.

Hope this helps
>>
>>36743832
call myself a pussy
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.