[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using your hamstrings, deadlift form
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (86 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
image.png
86 KB, 320x180
How do you learn to use your hamstrings in the deadlift?
I've been deadlifting wrong for quite a while now it seems and lately it's been causing some issues.

Basically I don't think I'm utilizing my hamstrings properly and I've been doing all the work with my lower back. It's gone unnoticed for so long because I still manage to keep an unrounded back for the most part.

Pic says in a video to use Romanian deadlifts to learn to use your hamstrings but I have so many bad habits from doing it wrong for so long.

Basically I'm trying to learn Romanian deadlifts but one of two things happens
I focus on my back when going down and my knees bend, basically I just squat down.
Or I focus on keeping my knees from moving but then I do all the work with my lower back and can't seem to use my hamstrings properly.

I keep trying to focus on both but it's just a disaster
Any hints or tips to figure this out?

I started with 1 plate per side and eventually tried with just the bar but I can't seem to do it without doing the wrong thing.

I squat deep with 4 plates and I've deadlifted 3.5 plate before
>>
Bumping for curiousity.

I never feel it in my hamstrings, but I was leg curling bitchweight and I could barely walk afterwards.
>>
Keep tension on them. Squat down and grab the bar. Stand up without letting go of the bar or lifting it off the ground, and keep your back straight. You should have tension on your hammies.

Practice lifting from that position and you'll find feel them activating like your almonds.
>>
>>36744104
So stiff legged deadlifts?
>>
You are using them. You can't perform the lift without using them.
>>
>>36743574
use your gloots not your hams
>>
>>36744133
Pretty much. Just to train your ability to feel the hammies engage.
>>
File: 1441113123365.jpg (31 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1441113123365.jpg
31 KB, 640x640
Get into your usual deadlift stance. Raise your hips as much as possible until you start to feel your hamstrings tighten. Make sure your knees are bent still.

Done.
>>
>>36743574
Push through your heels not through the middle of your foot or your toes
>>
Do higher reps (~8) and lower weight if necessary. Don't just drop the bar from the top, ease down slowly and maintain the tension

Now on the way down, really focus on keeping your ass as high as possible as the bar goes all the way down. Bend knees slightly at the bottom but keep the ass high and pushed out. Do it slow and controlled till you get it

Try and start the next rep smoothly from that position, don't re-set. Try to feel your hammies engage / activate just before you start the lift
>>
Lift your toes slightly from the floor. Not so much youll lose balance but enough so all the weight is going to your heels
>>
stand up straight with bar over mid height
bend over at the waist and grab the bar (legs should still be straight)
bend your knees until your shins touch the bar

this is your starting position
push through your heels/between heel and midfoot, bringing your hips forward

goal is to push your hips through, rather than lifting your hips
>>
For me, OP, whenever I feel like I need to focus on my hams/glutes when deadlifting I do as follows:

>picture my body turning into a firm but supple tree
>grip the bar and get into form as I focus on the sensation of my dick turning into knotty bark
>as I lift imagine another treebro behind me is also deadlifting, about to penetrate my asshole as he locks out
>squeeze my glutes to prevent getting splinters in my colon
>as I lift picture myself becoming the treebro behind my original self and use all my hamstring and glute power to fight against the bar (while maintaining correct form) and straighten out so I can ram my dick into my former self's rectum
>as I lock out imagine myself blowing a load of sap into my wooden asshole (this isn't necessary to my method, just gets me motivated for my next lift)
>return bar to floor
>dry off

Can't wait for earth day, gonna hit a massive PR
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.