[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just found out that doing pullups from a dead hang can be a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
I just found out that doing pullups from a dead hang can be a bad idea if you don't pack your shoulders. I've been doing dead hang pullups with a pause at the bottom for a pretty long time now and I always relax fully at the bottom. But I don't feel any pain or weirdness doing pullups. Am I fucked or not?
>>
>>36731767
the left IS a dead hang, nerd

the right pic is like relaxing at the bottom of a squat or going "deeper" by relaxing your lumbar, it's just stupid
>>
It's really good advice to pack your shoulders, but not doing it is hardly an express trip to the shoulder borough of snap city the way, eg, benching with your upper arms straight out is.
>>
>>36731767
probably not unless you do some superwide grip

it's much more dangerous on (bench) pressing
>>
>>36731777
I pause at the bottom for a few seconds, so wouldn't a natural dead hang be the right picture?
>>
>>36731789
>>36731785
What are you trying to say? Don't lock out your bench?
>>
>>36731777
He puts his phrases in a confusing order, but he did say it correctly. Left: dead hang with packed shoulders, right, dead hang with slack shoulders.

He probably should've left out dead hang completely, since the alternative is partial reps or kipping, which are both also terrible.
>>
Literally noone who replies to this thread will cite a single piece of research in their responses.

You'll get broscience and random personal anecdotes at best, and more likely just a bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>36731785
Looks like it would cause impingement though... that shit hurts.
>>
>>36731813
Lock out your elbows at the top of a bench, if that's what you're asking. I'm not entirely sure off the top of my head what a locked out shoulder would even be.

But:
>>36731789 is saying don't let your shoulders get loose in a bench.

>>36731785 is saying that as you go down, don't have your upper arms go straight out, 90° from your torso, like you're making a T to somebody looking down from the ceiling.
>>
>>36731914
can you draw this? i'm having a hard time getting it.
>>
>>36731934
I have used my elite photo-shopping skills to attempt to convey the bench position that causes shoulder impingement.
>>
>>36731767
It's fine as long as you don't DROP into your shoulders, because then you're just dropping straight onto the ligaments/etc and may wreck something.
>>
>>36732728
so, this is when i fucked up. good to know
>>
>>36733165
should have read SS and drank your milk faggit
>>
File: 1430959010374.gif (2 MB, 265x200) Image search: [Google]
1430959010374.gif
2 MB, 265x200
>>36733193
I was 12 I did it for the lulz and the insecurities
>>
So what's the difference between doing a full hang at the bottom between each rep - and never going to a full hang, but rather pinching your back as you would on bench?

Which one is better?

Someone explain proper form with a diagram or something. I used to stop short of the hang. Now I go to the full hang and I feel I get a better ROM and it engages more muscles.
>>
>>36732728

Why do I see Arnold benching like that then?

trappy-chan, is that you shitposting again?
>>
>>36731767
someone link that video of the dude who taped his hands to the pullup bar

you know which one.
>>
>>36731767
well the unpacking of the shoulders decouples a few neural linkages.
To quote Kelly Starret "You can't go from an unstable position to a stable position. You start from a stable position and stay in a stable position throughout the movement"

that said if you look at a lot of the gymnasitcs bodies folks work on shoulders they focus on packing and unpacking the shoulders in various positions. It requires tremendous strength in all the smaller muscles of the upper back. Their ultimate goal is fucking triple flips from bar to bar and in such a dynamic exercise you need to stabilize dynamically as well b/c not every transition is going to be perfect.
>>
File: reaction funny comic 51712.png (166 KB, 467x349) Image search: [Google]
reaction funny comic 51712.png
166 KB, 467x349
>>36731767

So... This is why I have always stalled so bad on pullups?

I have always fully relaxed at the bottom. Never succeeded at doing more than 8 reps in a set.

How do you pack your shoulders during a pullup? Pull day tomorrow, I will give it a try.
>>
File: tegaki.png (4 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
4 KB, 400x400
>>36734747
arms out forward

pull back
simultaneously
trying to pinch coin between shoulder blades
trying to crush the hand of someone trying to tickle your armpits

then pull the elbows as low as they can go towards the knees.

tighten your abs and butt

keep the shoulders down as far away from the ears as you can but reach up with the arms

when you grab the bar crush it and try to bend it in half away from you ventrally (forwards).

this should help but its not 100%

You're also gonna wanna watch your diaphragmatic tightness.
Your diaphragm and your pelvic floor need to be tight to maintain abdominal pressure.
Don't breath out all your air on the bottom or you'll lose all strength.
>>
>>36735230
Do you have Parkinson's
>>
>>36731815
And this surprises you? Do you know where you are?
>>
>>36735254
nah first time using new program it doesn't like my mousepad I guess.
>>
File: Untitled.png (30 KB, 1225x566) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30 KB, 1225x566
regular paint
>>
>>36733323
he had enough test to repair it
>>
>>36733323
The first video I found on youtube has him, well, on a smith machine, with a fairly high arm angle, but not quite a 90° one.

Also, not everyone has the exact same shoulder shape. Even on /fit/ people don't realize how much insertions can vary this stuff. Look at the lats, the point their heads start on the spine can vary by several vertebrae.
On one extreme, some people are fine doing this. On the other, some people will immediately destroy their shoulders on the first rep. Most people are somewhere in between: slowly damaging themselves over months or even years.

>>36733315
Your shoulders don't have to be shrugged up like that for it to count as a full hang. A dead hang just means your arms are straight and you've stopped completely without momentum.

>>36731815
Yeah, but honestly, posting links to random abstracts isn't really any better. I didn't even have to do that many research papers in college, but I still found a lot where the abstract's description was rather biased compared to the actual data, and even a couple where the abstract actually disagreed directly with the study. Peer review isn't a panacea, especially for an area as understudied as ergonomics and sports science. Think of individual studies are bricks in a wall of knowledge, one brick alone doesn't support much, and presenting it as if it does is scientism: the illusion of science to generate credibility for an opinion.

This thread is mostly about information for the ignorant, not establishing a scientific consensus.

Really I don't know the final word on shoulders being packed or not; though on the matter of the bench press I'm quoting... actually every scholarly book I've read on the subject.
>>
>>36731777
You can dead hung at the bottom of a pullup or relax your posterior chain at the botom of a squat, it is just essential to re-engage those muscle groups (i.e. packing) before coming back up. It's almost the opposite of flexing at the top of a bench press, helps your stabilizers, flexors, and mind-muscle connection a little bit. Just be safe.
>>
>>36734747

Same here senpai. Fug
>>
>>36733165
>>36732728

This is even more important on incline DB shoulder press.

Having your arms in the lowest/smallest angle like in >>36732728 activates your shoulders way way more and keeps your rotator cuff alive.

Try it out. If you have your arms in a 90° angle, you can shoulder press a lot of weight, do it in 45° or even lower, and you can barely press 60% of that weight.

It also trains your front delts pretty well.

Ever had DOMS in your front dealts? I never had, but NOW i do.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.