[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weights in backpack - could it cause problems?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 233332999_6c8c917ef3_z.jpg (160 KB, 640x497) Image search: [Google]
233332999_6c8c917ef3_z.jpg
160 KB, 640x497
Hello /fit/, I'm an un/fit/ man who intends on doing the following:

Walking roughly 2 miles down to a particular location, briskly. At said location, run up a hill - I don't quite know how big it is but it's not huge, just a steady incline. I'll probably run for about 5 minutes. After returning from said hill, I'll walk the 2 miles back at the same pace. I'm going to do this routine every morning before breakfast.

I was going to put some weights in my backpack to add to the routine a bit and make it a bit tougher. My question is - if I do this every single day for 3 weeks, not counting weekends, will that cause an injury in my back?

I know people here will probably say "just go lift weights" or "jog the whole way then run" or something but could you please answer that specific question - whether doing that temporary routine for 3 weeks would injure my back? Many thanks
>>
>>36714652
Not your back, but you could lose any of the tendons along the back of your leg if they aren't used to those sorts of loads
>>
>>36714652
back, maybe not. it will fuck up your knees if you do this for any sort of time though.

Think about what you want to do. If you want to make your cardio routine harder, go steeper, longer, faster, with fewer breaks. If you want to get strength, lift up heavy things and put them back down. Mixing them will give you shitty injurious cardio and/or weak-ass no-gain strength.
>>
>>36714776
I'm used to carrying a reasonably heavy/bulky backpack when I'm traveling and when I'm going about my daily business - often on one shoulder though, which is a bad habit of mine. This time I'd strap the bag on correctly, so the weight would be distributed better.

I also farmer's-walk a lot of weight around when I'm commuting from A to B, but I haven't done that in a week or two.
>>
>>36714875
Running is different
>>
If you're gonna do this, get a weighted vest and/or belt instead so you don't fuck yourself up.
>>
>>36714911
>>36714776
>>36714873
What is the likelihood that I am actually going to injure myself though if I do it for 3 weeks, not counting Saturdays/Sundays?
>>
Hrmm. It could. If it were a weighted vest it'd be slightly less likely to injure your back, but then some people injure their backs just jogging normally.

It will absolutely fuck your ankles, knees, and hips unless you're really lucky though.
>>
>>36714931
depends on the weight but probably not that big
>>
>>36714931
For just three weeks, it's unlikely you will do yourself unrecoverable harm, though the likelihood of a seven tendon or ligament injury does go up a lot, and aggravating that by normal activity can lead to a very long term injury.
>>
>>36714931
The earlier runs are where you're most likely to injure it.
>>
Please don't do this. The DBZ training method does not work well in real-life. Run longer, faster, more hills, introduce strides, fartleks, whatever else
>>
> could you please answer that specific question >whether doing that temporary routine for 3 weeks would injure my back?

You could injure your back sitting down on the toilet to take a shit. Life is full of risks bud, learn to take chances.
>>
>>36714652

Make sure you use a hiking backpack with a waist strap so your hips bear the burden and not your spine. Don't listen to the anons saying it's bad for your knees. My dad has been doing exactly this for years. He is 60 years old and has no knee injuries, ever. He does, however, have massive calves that ruined my "genetics" excuse for having no calf gains.
>>
>>36714989
That's what happened to me -- my second hill sprint (unweighted) was a one-way ticket to snap city. And I'd been running on flat ground the whole summer. This guy says he's untrained and carrying weights.
>>
>>36715041
Well, I haven't done it for a few weeks but I used to run up and down 3 flights of stairs for about 15 minutes - sprinting up and marching back down. I did that every day at one point but I stopped, so I probably won't get any benefit from that.
>>
>>36715039

My bad, I didn't see the part where you're running up a hill with a backpack on. That's retarded. My dad walks up and down stadium ramps with a backpack. Do that for 3 years and you will have calves that you can't fit socks over.
>>
>>36715069
I mean, I could just walk up the hill. I tend to find walking up hills a lot harder than running up them; it feels a bit like when it's harder to lift a weight slowly with good form than it is to just jerk it up and down again.
>>
>>36715039
Your dads knees do not disprove anything

>anecdotal evidence
>>
there's a running routine in the sticky - just google "couch to 5k"
It literally tells you jog for 90 secs, walk for 60 secs, repeat for 20 mins, etc, and builds up intensity over several weeks
I recommend you try that program
>>
I used to be a weak 350 pound fatass in highschool who carried a bookbag that weighed like 200 pounds every single day

Once I lost all the weight and started lifting I ended up with permanently freakishly muscular back and legs
>>
>>36714652
I use a backpack filled with sand for bodyweight exercises and my back is fine.
The problem i see with jogging is that its gonna bounce up and down and it will be really uncomfortable. Just run normally and when you are done use a backpack for push ups, squats, and pull ups.
>>
>>36714652
>probably run for about 5 minutes

Time it. I bet it's 30 seconds.
>>
>>36715117
Thanks, I think I'll look into it. There's a few strange reasons I won't go into for why this routine is shaping up like it is - walking and sprinting and stuff - but my intention after the three weeks was to get onto a good program like you said. I saw a few videos on youtube where Scooby talked about that kind of stuff too.

>>36715118
I actually used to be that kid when I was in high school. I just wish I'd walked around more while I carried the bag.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.