[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Squat depth and knees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10
File: AngloShill.jpg (23 KB, 490x313) Image search: [Google]
AngloShill.jpg
23 KB, 490x313
Today I was in the gym and had a discussion with three bigger guys I usually chat sometimes with during my sets and today we talked about squat depth:

My standpoint was that going below parallel is sure more stressing on the knee joints but you are not able to use that much weight like if you are squatting just to parallel. Thus the stress is balanced out.

And all three disagreed and said that
1. Squatting only to parallel is the most natural postition
2. going further damages the miniscus
3. knees over toes is bad for knee joint

Then I talked about Oly lifters and their abilities to go very deep and with knees over toes but they all said that Oly lifters are destroying their knees this way

So I went out of arguments.
Keep in mind I am a lot smaller than those guys, so what should I do /fit/? What arguments could I use?
Are their points myths or true?

requestion some studies also
>>
File: AngloShill9.jpg (9 KB, 122x76) Image search: [Google]
AngloShill9.jpg
9 KB, 122x76
Fuck you /fit/

fucking b8 threads and feel threads get 200+ replies and I get none

No wonder that serious advice should be taken from someone else
>>
Bullshit.

Search up the third world squat.

ATG highbar style is the most 'natural' way.
>>
I think it's because an intelligent answer requires actual knowledge. You need to know something about the subject to sort through the shit google comes up with.
>>
You are dumb. Knee stress is greatest right before or at parallel. You can look this shit up.
>>
>>36669713
>You are dumb. Knee stress is greatest right before or at parallel.
I know.

I said it because I did not want to turn their worldview around completely.
Many people can't take other opinions even if they are backed by studies
>>
Protip OP

There is no objective standard on natural/normal ROM. I have benign hypermobility syndrome (i.e double jointed) and can get into some pretty wacky positions without pain, discomfort and still being able to produce significant force
>ATG MSUTARDRACE
whatever the reason for someone not being able to squat below or even to paralol without discomfort/pain isn't necessarily a case for them having to be able to reach a deeper squat.

I'm not trying to advocate for some sort of squat depth marxisim here. What I am saying though is that currently for these three fat powerlifters, squatting to paralol and not below may very well be the natural and safe, given their body structure, time spent training a specific ROM and avoiding going deeper due to their sport etc.

I don't see there being any sort of logical case going "But muh cavemen could prolly squat". Fuck off you functional cunt, I have no interest in what some faggot who gathered berries for a living could or couldn't squat. Fuck that guy.

There is of course a case to be made in regards to having the ability to not break your fucking face while trying to squat/deadlift/ohp/whateverthefuck you are trying to do. If it is your goal, for whatever reason, to reach a certain ROM you should be able to do so in a safe and sound manner and without pain. If you can't do that, look into what may cause the problems and fix them.
>>
>>36669743
Then just tell them "oh OK bro" and move on. Who cares?
>>
>>36669363
Squats also damages the muscles. All weight lifting damages the muscles. The protein chains inside the muscle fibers are ripped apart when you put stress on your muscles. Avoid putting stress on your body at any cost. People who never move are the healthiest. Only people who are physically active have bad knees and backs.
>>
>>36669363
>1. Squatting only to parallel is the most natural postition
When you shit in the woods, do you go to parallel only?
>2. going further damages the miniscus
I can't answer that because I am not a doctor, and my squat is only 3.125 pl8 so far so I am not entitled to an anecdotal opinion either
>3. knees over toes is bad for knee joint
Different people have different relative limb lengths. That point is too silly.
>>
>>36669699
That's a natural resting position, it isn't natural to weight your spine that way.
>>
Until seeing this thread I bought into the keeping the knees from going over the toes.
>>
File: Klokov.png (415 KB, 624x450) Image search: [Google]
Klokov.png
415 KB, 624x450
fucking faggot

At low bar lmao meme squat, you stop at parallel
for high bar and front squat, you go ass to grass like pic related
>>
>>36669673
I was just about to give you a serious answer but since you're a faggoty bitch I won't. Just watch this and Stfu.

https://youtu.be/DrwiddA_8CQ
>>
>>36669944
Who's the QT behind him?
>>
File: 1455758775418.jpg (78 KB, 1403x981) Image search: [Google]
1455758775418.jpg
78 KB, 1403x981
People being big doesn't mean they know more
>>
BEADY
>>
File: aidf79.jpg (135 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
aidf79.jpg
135 KB, 650x433
>>36670424
ANGLO
>>
ATG gives me massive tendinitis desu
>>
File: aidf29.png (270 KB, 413x480) Image search: [Google]
aidf29.png
270 KB, 413x480
bump
>>
File: eternal anglo.jpg (7 KB, 219x147) Image search: [Google]
eternal anglo.jpg
7 KB, 219x147
how do we stop the eternal anglo ??
>>
File: aidf76.jpg (193 KB, 540x833) Image search: [Google]
aidf76.jpg
193 KB, 540x833
>>36672491
By squatting ATG
>>
File: Anglos vs white race.jpg (376 KB, 1000x595) Image search: [Google]
Anglos vs white race.jpg
376 KB, 1000x595
WE SHALL TRIUMPH
>>
File: aidf78.jpg (199 KB, 670x561) Image search: [Google]
aidf78.jpg
199 KB, 670x561
>>36672627
We will.
>>
>>36669363
>Then I talked about Oly lifters and their abilities to go very deep and with knees over toes but they all said that Oly lifters are destroying their knees this way
Finding data on this would be a good way to see who is right and wrong.

There's a middle aged guy at my gym who says he used to squat 500lbs before he got injured. I think it was his knee that got injured and needed surgery. Turns out he does quarter squats. He's also big. Partial reps can make you big.
>>
>>36669944

>tapes his knees so they don't blow out
>>
>>36669363
>Squat to maximum depth while maintaining proper lumbar support

Congratulations, you now have placed the stress on your muscles

>Quarter repping or stopping before parallel

Congratulations, the stopping force is now in your knees.

Even if you get up and do bodyweight squats you'll feel what I'm talking about.
>>
>>36673395

Well he isn't actually using knee wraps if you look t the picture. And knee wraps have been shown to increase inflammation in the joint over time, so they really don't help the joint itself.
>>
>>36673371
>Partial reps can get you big
So can roids desu
>>
>>36674149
He does look like he's juicing. His skin is all flushed and vascular. Phil Health quarter squats 315 for his legs.
>>
if you're not squatting like tom platz ur a fucking loser faggot who wants a big ass and no gains

narrow, low, high-bar, olympic style, like a piston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOpZLFoHENs
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.