[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone got any good Mauy Thai or kickboxing lifting or workout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 251x201
Anyone got any good Mauy Thai or kickboxing lifting or workout or excersise routines?

Pic is buakaw(unrelated)
>>
Been doing for 1.5 years. You don't really lift for thai, do you thai to get better at thai, if that makes sense.

In your training, you'll do alot of body weight stuff and basically the weight you end up at when your in fighting shape in the weight you generally stay at.
>>
>>36654928
>You don't really lift for thai, do you thai to get better at thai, if that makes sense.
this is typical for many sports because they don't know any better. lifting will always benefit you if you do sports.
>>
find a good muay thai gym and start training there, this is the only way.
>>
>>36654942
Also, fexibility is also something worth working on if you wanna be able to do those highkicks.
>>
>>36654771
Lots of core work. Lower back extension works well. Body weight squat will prepare your knees. Be sure to jump rope

>>36654936
The only benefits I see that translate well is having a strong back and core from diddylift and squats.
Other than that when time can be a problem ,it's better to focus on kick boxing than lifting.
>>
>>36654936

Yeah no... If your seriously training for a martial art aka training to compete doing heavy compound lifts will impart your recovery too much.
>>
>>36654771
Buakaw's da bes. Go to a good muay that gym. Do a less volume intensive version of a regular program and train like a madman at muay thai
>>
But what if you love to lift and do it to gain strength?
>>
>>36655106
it's fine, don't listen to idiots, strength training will improve your fighting skills, you may be more at risk of injury like >>36655069 said, but it's a combat sport so you get injured all the time anyway.
>>
>>36654771
I've done kickboxing and muay thai for 7 years, this is a small part of my routine.

Monday
Barbell close-grip bench press 4x8
Mixed-grip chinup (weighted) 4x6
Reverse Incline dumbbell flye 3x10
DB Floor Press 3x8
4A Barbell Power Curl 3x8
4Cable Face-pull 3x8

That is for the upper body and then I end with a core, done twice.

DB Plank Row 8 reps*
Med ball triangle crunch 10*
Med Ball Twist 50
* Done on each side

Next part is the lower body training.
TFW Pseudo Sumo Deadlift 5x6
Zercher Squat 4x8
DB Stepup 3x6*
Front Plate Hold Bulgarian Split Squat 4x5*
* Done on each side

Ending that with another core
Barbell sultcase deadlift 8*
Barbell rollout 10
Barbell wheel **
* Each Side
** Hold the plate like a steering wheel, twist at the top.
>>
>>36655129
Remember, you do not want to overwork at the gym. These workouts are to prepare for the martial arts training. I train martial arts 5 times a week, sometimes twice a day. And I go to the gym.

Posting the tuesday and thursday routines too:

Tuesday, this is high intensity. Marked in rounds.
1. Rope sidewinder, 40 sec 20 sec rest
2. KB Bottoms up one arm carry 35 sec and 30 sec rest.
3. Agility ladder drill: ali shuffle, 30 secs, 40 sec rest.
4. Plate rotational Lunge 30 secs, 40 sec rest
5. Med ball slam 40 secs 45 sec rest.

Thursday:
Round 1:
Repeat 3 times
Sprint 100 yards
Sprinter situps x12
Knee-to-elbow push up x10

Round 2:
Repeat 3 times
Sprint 80 yards
Single leg mountain climber, or military ladder x8 each leg.
Judo pushup x10

Round 3:
Repeat 3 times

Sprint 60 yards
Ab pike up x10
Burpee x8

Always remember to warm up 10-15 mins before and stretch before and after.
>>
was thinking on weight training 3 times a week then the other days muay thai or BJJ

just have to sleep eat and have cold showers like a motherfucker to get that recovery
>>
File: patty.jpg (6 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
patty.jpg
6 KB, 194x259
>>36654771

> tfw first boxing match this sunday

save me lads what have I gotten myself into?
>>
>>36655189
Don't max at the gym unless you are prepared to get exhausted for a week. Seeing as you probably want to focus on the martial arts I suggest you don't max out before or close to the pratcice time.
>>
>>36655215
Boxing isn't that bad man, just move a lot, avoid the feints or feint a lot. What weightclass?
>>
>>36655215
how much training have you had to prepare for this fight?
and enjoy it bro! you will get an experience you've never felt before
>>
File: fuckedupguy.jpg (20 KB, 480x292) Image search: [Google]
fuckedupguy.jpg
20 KB, 480x292
>>36655245
>>36655259

light heavyweight, both our first fights it's for a british charity UWCB which trains people for 2 months then organizes a fight night to raise money for cancer research yada yada

I come from a PL background deadlifting 5 plates which didn't account for shit in the training just made my legs chafe during the cardio

pic related, some guy got fucked up by a swinging sparring bar in the gym
>>
>>36655234
thanks for the advise
the thing is i always want to push my max weight e.g deadlifts,squats and chest press
should i just stop or could i do both?
>>
>>36655069
> this is what martial arts fags believe

Apply this logic to and even more physically demanding sport like football, and you'll understand just how pathetic and unathletic most of these wannabe fighters are.

Do your squats and deadlifts OP.
>>
>>36655284
Ah but its not full contact is it? Ye I have had my fair chair of bruises that way too. Got a busted eyebrow a month ago from some newbie that wanted to try a spinning back fist. Fuck that guy.

Yea, power lifting and martial arts are so different and train the muscles in way different ways. Really are the opposites, meaning it's kind of hard to transition between them or do them both. :/

>>36655287
You can do it but your body will be tired afterwards so going and giving your all at the practice later will be difficult and you might just end up hurting yourself more because you get tired and exhausted.

If you want to max out, set aside a week or two with no martial arts training and give your body time to rest.
>>
>>36655129
>>36655186
I'm copying your routine
I've been training for a year and a bit so far, kb, boxing and krav maga but I like this workout and I'm definitely switching to it
thanks anon
>>
>>36655346
No problem man, I really like this routine too because it mixes all the things I like. Except thursday workouts, I dread those sometime!
>>
>>36655124
>You get injured all the time
Pretty sure most team sports or Tennis have more injury rates than martial arts
>>
>>36655335
busted eyebrow from a spinning back fist? what gloves where you guys sparring with!?
>>
>>36655215
if it's amateur you can be a baby and just go for points
>>
>>36655381
Maybe
Depends on your training I guess, I see people cop it all the fucking time training on the heavy bag, also in sparring trauma to the legs especially. Get used to it after a while sure but the bruising and shit is still there.
>>
>>36655424
its just all about the conditioning
>>
>>36654771
HIGHREP
HIGHREP

if you lift, you wann da high rep work

you dont punch 10 times in a fight, you wanna pound the fucker for 5 consecutive round
>>
>>36655396
Well there are two types of gloves basically, the thai with less padding on the front and more around and the boxing with padding infront and less on the side.

This guy did it in full contact style with 10oz boxing gloves. Like he really put his whole body in to it and before I realized that it was too late. That fucker doesnt train with us anymore though.
>>
>>36655424
Oh you meant that. Yeah bruises aren't really an injury for me. I was thinking about tendinitis ,twisted ankle or shit like that
>>36655396
Maybe he was too close and hit him with his elbow
>>
>>36655518
Yeah fuck it I see your point I'm just being a contrarian prick, proper stretching and form makes performing moves pretty damn safe, only risk you really have is minor brain damage or like wrist injuries, but that's if ur a shit fighter :^)
>>
>>36655502
see i find that dangerous
your meant to spar with 16oz to not get injuries or head tramua
10 and 12oz are for pad work
>>
>>36655548
Yea, exactly, but this guy managed to slip through haha. I spar with 12oz during light contact, which basically is nothing more than a touch. I put on 16oz during full contact where I hit a lot harder and recieve a lot harder hits.

>>36655543
Well you do have head gear to protect your head and you wont get head gfgtnma ndamagege from sparring. Perhaps if you fagjnfngight a lot. ;)
>>
Thinking of picking up MT in the fall?
http://www.oldschoolmuaythai.com/

Is this a good gym? The instructors look pretty legit plus they give discounts for uni and college students
>>
>>36655543
I think that even advanced athletes are prone to injuries. C'est la vie

>>36655766
They have free classes so you should at least try.
MT gyms usually aren't touched ,like karate or kung fu by McDojos since it's highly competitive.If they train competitors it's the best case scenario. If anything it looks a bit expensive but 3 classes a day is interesting
>>
>>36655215

best advice I can give is plenty of movement (including hand movement) and keep your hands up - especially in the later stages as you get tired, just keep your hands up.
>>
>>36655491
>high rep

Lifters who lift heavy singles can easily do lower weight for high reps without even training for it. I don't have to tell you that lifters who only do high reps with light weight can't do those heavy singles...

There is simply no excuse for not getting strong. Too many people want to puss out on putting the effort into the gym.
>>
>>36656487
High rep isn't 12 or even 15 reps. We're talking about 60 bw squats or 50 push ups moron
>>
>>36656721
Easy street when you are actually strong.
>>
>>36654771
Run
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.