[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm fucking done with heavy dead lifts. Every time it messes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
I'm fucking done with heavy dead lifts. Every time it messes up my lower back for days. Can I still make it?
>>
have you tried using proper form
>>
>>36652186
>>36652186
>>36652186
>>36652186
>>36652186
>>
>>36652186

/thread
>>
>>36652186
From what I can tell
>>
Deadlifts don't even do anything it's a fucking stupid and dangerous lift
>>
I just do back squats and front squats, no deadlifts anymore.

Bigger than 99% of /fit/ besides some of the monsters on /fraud/ so it's not like it matters.

My posterior chain gets worked more than enough with heavy ass back squats, so much so that I need front squats to even it out.
>>
>>36652171
>>36652296
use to have constant back problems not related to weights, anytime I did anything physical my back would fuck up. Was afraid as fuck to do deadlifts. Got a good coach and learned them right. I deadlift with perfect form and have never had back problems since.
>>
>>36652296

Deadlifts don't do anything? It's the best back and excercise there is. Before you deadlift you should be seated into your hips. Your lower back should feel absolutely nothing. It's all hips and upper body when you drive it up off the ground.
>>
>>36652441
back squats and barbell rows in combination do exactly what a deadlift does and MORE.

Most people who REALLY enjoy deadlifting are the lanky ass guys with massively long arms who usually don't even have of the muscular development that deadlifts supposedly give when they always talk about it.
>>
>>36652171
high test
>>
>tfw

I can't squat or deadlift any more because I've torn a disc, did it almost a year ago now and it still hasn't healed, my osteopath said it was the heavy weight over time over loading my spine, so now any downward pressure on my spine hurts (even just using a standing calf Press Machine)

If your back hurts just sack off the exercise and subsistute for something else, it isn't worth fucking yourself up in the long run
>>
>>36652171
Squeeze glutes and your lower back won't burn
>>
>>36652171
Ignore the retards on here.

Who has perfect form all the time? Nobody. If you're a casual or even just semi serious lifter, don't bother with DLs. Really easy to slip a disc which can affect you for the rest of your life, and for what? It isn't worth it for 99% of gym-goers.
>>
>>36652733
B-but anon, how will we all meme-stat?
>>
>>36652458

My back is pretty juicy. Stay jealous manlet. You only have to go like half the distance we do yet you claim it'd harder. No wonder women don't like you guys, you're dumb and lazy.
>>
>>36652733

I only felt strain in my spine when I first started and had shit form. It's your fault entirely your back hurts. You shouldnt be using your lower back at all. I drive entirely with my hips and upper body.
>>
You can still make it, anon!
Frank Zane avoided the heavy lifts, and he was the most aesthetic cunt alive.
>>
>>36653291

>shouldn't be using your lower back at all

What do you think stops you from bending forward at the hip?
>>
>>36652202

You're clearly not brah. I had chronic back issues throughout school and I have had no issues squatting or DL'ing in 6 years since. Your form sucks.
>>
>>36652296

Are you trolling or genuinely fucking retarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qRntuXBSc
>>
Been going to the gym for about 5 months now. Dl is my Bae and an not proper form is going to fuck your back up cause you're trying to lift more with your back and not your legs.
>>
if its messing your back your form is trash, you're using too much weight or both
>>
>>36652367

THIS THIS THIS

Story of my life

Deadlifts fucking helped me healing my slipped disc
>>
My lower back is always really sore after doing deadlifts. Like DOMS just in my lower back muscles. Is this normal, or do I have shit form? I dont really get doms anywhere else.
>>
>>36654318

Drive with your hips, don't pull up with your lower back. When you're at your ready position the nanosecond before you begin the lift you should feel a slight tension in your hips. Seat yourself into your hips. Also don't look forward, the center of your head should be at a straight line with your back.
>>
>>36654318
same
not sore, just a sort of stiffness?

plg says my form is fine though
>>
>>36652733
I don't think the form has to be perfect, just not all-out wrong. I used to deadlift with my back and it hurt afterwards, then I switched to using my glutes and hamstrings and no issues since.
>>
You get back pain because you're supposed to drive the legs for the initial lift. You get back pain because you're pulling with your back.
>>
>>36653334
Frank Zane squatted heavier than Arnold
>>
>>36654499

This
>>
>>36654077
Not anon but your low back are isometric all contracted but not a primary mover. I assume that's what he means
>>
>>36654527
>Drive with your legs
What's this even mean?
>>
The most muscular men in my gym (all km their 30s or 40s/been lifting for well over 15 years) rarely squat and almost never deadlift. When they do squat it's not heavy.

Squats and deads are good strength builders and even more so just tests of strength (like the barbell bench press)

You can absolutely build great size and a really nice physique without either.

I personally love to deadlift and squat. But can't do it too often as my lower right back will always hurt, my form is perfect by the way, just trust me on this.

There was a time I was squatting heavy 3 times a week and dead lifting. During the squats in the latter sets, my left shoulder/arm/hand would go numb. There would be times where some small movements of my torso would kill my already mentioned lower right part of the back. Me being as ignorant as most of you are now at that time, I continued to do it.

What I'm trying to say is if you can deadlift and squat and literally never experience and back pain then you're fine.. For now. I've been lifting for 7 years now (I'm 25) I've done very well for myself to now. There was a time where I'd be able to push and squat and deadlift heavy ass weight day in and day out and not feel it at all. But heavy strength training catches up to you. Some faster than others.

In conclusion, you can build muscular legs and a muscular back without squats or deads.
>>
>>36652296
>>36652171
I've fucking heavy case of scilosis and even I don't much back pain when doing dl. Hot shower to back after lifting really helps. Probably your form is shit.
>>
It's a good exercise no doubt, but is it necessary? Definitely not. Back extensions will work the lower back and spinal erectors if you're really worried about what you'll miss. Shrugs if you care about traps and you're all set. Rows, pullups, hyperextensions is a full back workout.
>>
>>36652171

You are hyperextending your back to straighten up instead of using your glutes. That is why your back hurts.
>>
Except for the time I pulled a back muscle with bad deadlift form, I've never had a problem with deadlifts. They are my favorite lift.

Squats however I can never seem to do right.
>>
>>36652733
>Who has perfect form all the time? Nobody.
only ego lifters say shit like this. it's not hard at all to realize your limit.
>>
>>36652186
i used to have lower back pain from heavy DLs too, until i set up my phone to record myself doing a set. i was rounding like crazy since i was using straps and couldnt handle the weight. i ditched the straps and stepped the weight down, and made sure to focus on activating my lats when i lifted, and it kept my back from rounding.
>>
>tfw for past 5ish years I've cracked my back several times a day every day
>tfw ever since i started lifting and deadlifting its gotten worse even though I have good form
>>
Not every lift is for everyone.

Do what you can, when you can, and you'll be ahead of 95% of civilisation.
>>
>>36656698
>and you'll be ahead of 95% of civilisation.
>winning by default
>>
Conventional deadlifts are memes bro, I do stiff legs for 3 sets of 6-10 and my lower back feels strong and I have overcome lower back pain I used to get from regular deads that also started to affect my daily life, and my form was perfect. I recorded it and showed trainers, posted it on multiple fitness forums, etc.
>>
>>36655173
Why would you deadlift heavy 3x a week, ugly ass?
>>
>>36652458

>Most people who REALLY enjoy deadlifting are the lanky ass guys with massively long arms

Probably because they have better leverage and can lift more, and people like doing things they are good at. Doing deadlifts doesn't preclude you from doing back squats and barbell rows either.
>>
>>36655173

>my arm went numb while i was doing it but i had perfect form you guys trust me

Cool anecdote bro, I've been doing heavy ass deadlifts and squats for about 7 years (I'm now 27) and I have zero pain doing either one
>>
File: 297d662a140f34b65440808a523cfe1f.jpg (117 KB, 1806x1440) Image search: [Google]
297d662a140f34b65440808a523cfe1f.jpg
117 KB, 1806x1440
>>36657299
>mfw lanklet
>mfw my 1 rom is a longer motion than a manlet's 3 reps
>mfw i'm 3x stronger than manlets doing my lifts
>>
File: 1441852405547.jpg (72 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1441852405547.jpg
72 KB, 640x640
>>36657334

Lanklet pride worldwide brah, all those jelly manlets
>>
u'll make no gains doing deadlifts...
>>
Anybody experience but twin before getting parralel?
>>
>deadlifts
>essential

pick one retard
>>
>>36652202

>I think I'm using proper form
>But i still have back pain

Hurrr

I've dealt with backpain after deadlifting for over a year too. Then I realized I needed to arch my back before pulling. That way it "shifts" into neutral position when the pull starts. I also tightened my lats more and starting lifting with a narrower stance/grip.

Before I set up with a "straight and neutral" spine, but I ended up rounding when I initiated the pull, therefore I needed to arch before I pulled.
>>
>>36657573

Oh and I should add that after I learned this I started pulling more because I wasn't afraid of fucking up anymore. I've been on novice tier strength for a long time and I*m finally making decent progress after over a year of deadlifting. I PR more often because I'm no longer afraid of one rep maxes since I can maintain proper form even at max (and supra-max) efforts.
>>
Most of the time I've noticed when people complain about back pain from deadlifts or get backpain on the day of deadlifts is because they have overdeveloped hamstrings and underdeveloped quads/abs

I had the same problem and started front squatting instead of back squatting as well as adding in ab exercises and now I don't get phantom back pains anymore
>>
>>36652186
proper form doesn't mean shit if your core is weak. You can be able to lift 100kg with proper form and still get your shit fucked up because a part of your core is weak and pushes the load to your lower back. It was happening to me.
>>
>implying you need deadlifts to get a great body

gj falling for the SS meme, dipshit
>>
Yeah fuck deadlifts. They either ruin your legsday or ruin your backday. You dont even have to do them to get stronger at deadlifts. Pointless fucking move.
>>
>>36657742
sl5x5 isn't a meme though right?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.