[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
plz halp /fit/. I've started running for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: super adapter.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
super adapter.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
plz halp /fit/.

I've started running for the first time in my life, but I'm not sure whether or not it should be a 100% daily thing (at least when I start; I know it's nbd once I really get in shape). Should I have like, recovery days for when my legs want to murder me?
>>
How old are you and how far are you running and how heavy are you? These factors would affect how much you should run, but really just listen to your body.
>>
25, atm 1 mile, 160 pounds
>>
Also, I have a hard time discerning between my body's messages and my brain being like "PFFT, just chill and play some videogames"
>>
>legs wanting to murder me

like just general soreness or are you getting shin splints?

if you're JUST starting you're probably talking about DOMS which goes away within the first couple weeks
>>
No, especially if it is long distance.
Have a running schedule and change it up. Running is like lifting where you have different programs. It depends what are you training for. For now just focus on distance. Say, for instance. Run one day for maybe for a beginner like you 1-2 run 1 -2 mile walk, and then from there, increase your running distance, and focus in all in distance. Then when you get good, you can focus on time.
Also on resting, usually a day or 2 between is fine. You can get away with doing continuously, but this can lead to injuries, so be smart. Also, you should have cool down days where instead of running, you may walk.
S
>>
>>36631348
Sorry, i had to take a shit and wrote that fast with my keyboard symbols in Spanish mode.
I meant for a starting program, you run 1/2 a mile then focus on distance by doing 1 1/2 a milk walk, and so on and so on, increasing the running portion and speed, while doing distance.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160403-112951.png (182 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160403-112951.png
182 KB, 2560x1440
>>36631348
>>36631387
This sounds about like what I'm aiming for. When you say "change it up" do you mean like, on some days run in the morning, some in the evening?

Right now my mile looks like this in terms of running-walking. I think I'll take your advice on walking further than half a mile though.

>>36631327
Yeah it sounds more like DOMS. I suppose the fix for that is stretching?
>>
>>36631240

You should run 3-4 days per week, and you should run at least 30 minutes per session for cardio benefits. Plus 5 mins warmup and cooldown. If you can't do 30 mins, slow down. Still can't do 30 mins? Get on couch25k or similar.
>>
>>36631477
No, when I mean change it up, I mean change the variables of your run, like for instance, time trails where you do your usual run, but do your last leg the fastest you can, or have days where you may walk long distance instead. Or, just changing surfaces.>>36631521 is right on this too. Programs like this are a decent basis for running, and how I got used to it.
The KEY IS PERSISTENCE. THE MORE YOU DO IT, THE BETTER YOU GET.
The run walking is just the basics. You use distance for endurance, hence the walking or jogging past your past distance length, and you used speed or time trials for getting your time up. Best thing to do is to keep a log time with distances total per week. There's a site called runner's world which has all the shit you need on these tips, since it is so much to type, I will obviously leave out the tidbits and make errors and mistakes.
>>
>>36631609
>>36631521
hmm ok. Tomorrow I think I'll do a route I've been planning, that will up my elevation gain by ~100 feet and give me chances for some faster downhill running. Lots of trails around here within walking/running distance of my house.

I'll check out runner's world :D pretty soon here I"ll be getting an embrace watch and hopefully I can watch my state better with that/it will encourage me to get in shape.
>>
>>36631129
just play it by how your body responds - I was in your shoes last year and at first after a couple of k I was fucked for a week. This was because I would get shinsplints in the inside part of my lower legs. It took a full week to resolve, if I set out the following day which I wanted to it was too painful to run - more than a couple of times I called off a run before I had gone a hundred yards. I wasn't even a fatass, I was 190 but dropping weight did help.
>>
File: 1459664188466.jpg (19 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1459664188466.jpg
19 KB, 250x250
Bumping thread for related question.

I am a class I obeast trying to get fit, and cutting calories also. I have lost about 35 lbs so far, but still have about 45 lbs before I am even at the top range of a healthy BMI. I just started running in February and also do 2-3 full body lifting weights per week and usually one HIIT workout per week also. I run pretty slow, a 12 or 13 minute mile but am gradually increasing distance each week. However today I was so tired and sore I walked half of what I would normally run and now I just want to lie around and not do shit.

How much is too much? My lifting isn't super intense and I don't lift huge amounts but I am running ICF. Should I switch to SS or something less voluminous? I really want to prioritize cardio fitness because I am an ex smoker and want to be able to do shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.