[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being too /fit/ bad for job interviews?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16
File: busy-guy-workout.jpg (180 KB, 630x450) Image search: [Google]
busy-guy-workout.jpg
180 KB, 630x450
I'm on the job hunt right now. I'm in pretty good shape (6'1, 200lbs, broad shoulders, 500lb deadlift, do cardio and BJJ)

I've been interviewing places and a lot of potential employers always make comments on my physique
>wow anon you've got broad shoulders did you play football?
>'No i just lift and exercise to stay in shape during my free time'

I know my stats don't make me 'big and bulky' by any means but I'm starting to wonder if being too physically imposing can hurt the job search? I can totally see some old fat nerd feeling insecure at a juicy alpha male, or some old professional being like 'shit that guy spends all his time lifting and roiding (i don't) i don't think he'll be a fit for the company'

What does /fit/ think?
>>
I think you are being autistic
>>
yeah but do you really want to work at a place where you'll get shat on by insecure skinnyfats? if they discriminate against you during the hiring process for being fit, they'll sure as hell discriminate against you for being fit while you work there
>>
>>36630817
>do you really want to work at a place where you'll get shat on by insecure skinnyfats?

No. But I'm trying to get a job in tech. That industry is dominated by insecure skinnyfats. DESU I'd argue the vast majority of established companies are run by insecure skinnyfats..
>>
File: 1342378914372.jpg (17 KB, 157x153) Image search: [Google]
1342378914372.jpg
17 KB, 157x153
No, not at all. In fact, that shows diligence and commitment -- two very admirable traits in an employee.
>>
>>36630789
>>36630889
It sounds like you're just an asshole to be honest.
>>
Bro just say you play football it will give you mad cred.
>>
Unless you look like Rich Piana or Kali, and even then, as long as you have a suit on or a good standard on, you are fine.
>>
>>36630789
Going through the same thing, have had the same thoughts. I don't plan to mention lifting in interviews (there's often a question about your interests outside of school or work) unless the interviewer is also fit.
>>
>>36630889

There's your problem dude. Should've gone into an industry full of alphas like finance where your physique would actually be a plus.
>>
In my experience, there are quite a few people in management positions have active hobbies, although it's normally stuff like cycling and hiking, and really like having other fit people around to talk to about that sort of shit.
My gym buddy's boss has even started organising fitness based team building events once my mate started working there.

That's not to say you're not going to encounter a few people who are going to be insecure, or project the image of the guy who bullied them in highschool on you.
>>
File: 290.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
290.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Many CEOs are fitness nuts because they are the type to go hard at everything in life

You might rise in ranks quickly OP. God speed
>>
File: lordosis.gif (43 KB, 310x294) Image search: [Google]
lordosis.gif
43 KB, 310x294
>>36631171
Yeah fuck that noise.

If you ever mention lifting you might get the uggh too big, alpha male might threaten my authority.

Or alternatively the do you even fucking lift
t.ex bodybuilder who is now running this company.

When they ask your hobbies the best bet is to say fishing. Always go with fishing, you can't go wrong. Nearly every company boss does some "fishing" with them buddies.

And even if they didn't they won't admit it.
>>
People will hate you for everything that you're better than them at.

If you're a cunty person in general then you get a Phil Heath situation but if you're charming and charismatic then people will adore you like Arnie.
>>
File: image.png (235 KB, 890x317) Image search: [Google]
image.png
235 KB, 890x317
You should just work at Victoria Secret or some other really girly store.

You'll drown in pussy, literally.

Being a good looking, strong man working inside of a predominately female store will get you laid left and right.

>inb4 cuck
>inb4 they'll just think you're gay

Don't act gay. Act professionally flirtatious.
>>
>>36630789
I think part of the problem may be the suit and trousers you are wearing to the interview. If your suit is taylored correctly it would be harder to notice your physique.
>>
>>36631308
Tailored
>>
This may have been one reason I failed a polygraph test for a leo job.

The interviewer was fat greasy Arab and may have been jelly of my /fit/ness. Not kidding.
>>
Some of you clearly haven't worked anywhere before. If you're friendly then everyone will suck up to you for being fit/good-looking, it's just the halo effect everywhere. It's never s negative unless you are a dick or a show off.
>>
>>36631300
People of /fit/, please aim higher than to work at a fucking Victoria Secret. Maybe if you're still in high school but otherwise...
>>
>>36631427
This. OP seems like he has never worked and he's all "I can't get a job because I'm too swoll and they're all dyels!"
>>
>>36631406
No, you failed your polygraph because it was your own fault.

Blaming others for your shortcomings isn't a very desirable trait in a good LEO either.
>>
>>36631436
What other "higher" part time jobs do you consider for a 21 year old full time college student?

I mean, I work sales with cars. But what else do you reckon, Mr. Six-figure?
>>
>>36631596
Making apps.
>>
>>36631578
Kek owned
>>
>>36630789
>I'm going to make a retarded blog post so I can talk about my stats
Take it to CBT
And do better than "will broad shoulders hurt me employment"
>>
>>36630789

You don't say you lift, ever, unless you can identify that the other person lifts.

>Oh anon, you look strong! What do you do to stay in shape?

basketball and swimming. Or surfing if you can bs that, or some sport that shows you interact with other people.
>>
Denydenydeny to normies, especially normie interviewers
>Oh wow you look strong do you X
Yeah, no, I've been trying to do like 20 minutes on the treadmill for a couple weeks. You know how it is.
>>
>>36631471
>OP seems like he has never worked and he's all "I can't get a job because I'm too swoll and they're all dyels!"

OP here.

Bruh wtf? Not what I was getting at at all. Last internship I had at a tech company I only did a phone interview. I showed up and I fucking towered over my boss who was like 'wow you're a lot bigger than I thought jeez' You have to remember that the vast majority of the US population are chubby and delusional about health and fitness.

Sometimes you can have a perfect interview and maybe the employers don't like you because of your accent, your hair, some complete bullshit reason. Bullshit like that happens in small no name firms and it happens at large big name corporations too. Sometimes you'll be straight up under qualified for a job or fail an interview, and sometimes it's a crapshoot and you won't get the job for BS- it's totally plausible that going perma-bulk mode might turn off a tech beta. That's why I asked this question.

And I'm clearly not the only one to think this way >>36631238
>>
>>36631622
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: 1400350733521.jpg (80 KB, 331x319) Image search: [Google]
1400350733521.jpg
80 KB, 331x319
>>36630789
top kek
>i cant get a job guys, it must be because im too big right?
you cant make this shit up
>>
I can't afford tailoring (or I assume I can't) so I always go to interviews pinned into a happy medium between a fatass suit and something I can't move in.
Never seems to have hurt my chances, although when I'm asked what my best achievement is, and I answer "being overweight" because I used to be auschwitz mode, that has sometimes been received well, sometimes sandbagged.
>>
>>36631725
Do you actually dress well/professionally for an interview? Even if you aren't that buff, it doesn't take that much to look like hulk hogan to normies and if you're wearing shit that doesn't cover the muscles and just show off a general frame, it's too much.
>>
>>36631234

>Steve Jobs
>Zuckerberg
>Pajeet of Microsoft
>Bill Gates
>CEO of GM

Shit isn't a movie where 20 something big shots are billionaire powerlifter superheroes
>>
>>36631900
This.
>>
>>36631596
>>36631596
Get a relevant internship on the field you want to enter after graduation. Don't work retail.
>>
>>36631751
K you keep selling cars then. Sounds like you have it all figured out.
>>
>>36630789

It's done nothing but help me. People like /fit/ people as long as they're not giant, sweaty, hairy bald guys.

Protip for /fit/izens (no permabulk) who need to wear suits: get your coats tailored, get narrow lapels, and wear gray. It emphasizes your v-taper better.
>>
>>36631801
Tailoring isn't expensive. Why is everyone here so retarded
>>
>>36631933
>People like /fit/ people as long as they're not giant, sweaty, hairy bald guys.

I'm bald :(

>>36631823
>Do you actually dress well/professionally for an interview?

Lol of course. Suits /Business casual depending on the company culture. Clothes fit my frame comfortably
>>
>>36631725
Blaming others for your shortcomings/lack of experience isn't a very desirable trait for a candidate. They owe you nothing.
>>
>>36631989
>Blaming others for your shortcomings/lack of experience isn't a very desirable trait for a candidate. They owe you nothing.

Lol you posting self-help copy pasta from reddit doesn't make you hard- nowhere in my post did I insinuate that.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 533x388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 533x388
>I can't get a job because I'm too big! Everyone is a dyel!
>>
>>36630789
Work a labor job. I just landed a union job doing tree branch removal under WE Energies and making dapper money. 7-3 job with optional overtime + great benefits. Still get that lifting time in.
>>
>wow anon you've got broad shoulders did you play football?
>"Yes"

Problem solved
>>
>>36631986
k. Can you honestly tell me then that you're giving good interviews and not acting like a run of the mill 4chan autist reciting memorized answers to interview questions. Not that you shouldn't do your due studying before an interview, but are you just reciting shit or do you take some 5 minutes to banter with the guy, maybe about some shared hobby or something you notice about a photo, anything.
>>
>>36632002
K. Sounds like you have it all figured out.
>>
>>36631622
Time out. How does one make an app.
>>
File: fire.jpg (268 KB, 1347x762) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
268 KB, 1347x762
Being obese is far worse than being /fit/ I'll tell you that much

>2 years ago
>At my peak weight
>289lbs
>Manage to secure a job interview at a travel agency
>Only a part time job but whatever, it might be fun to sell holidays to people
>Get to the interview
>Walk into the shop
>Shop is TINY, very uncomfortable
>Tell them I am there for the interview
>They tell me to have a seat
>Only seats are these small little armchairs
>Try to sit
>Barely fit, basically crushed within the seat
>Sit still for 15 minutes waiting for the interviewer to come
>Interviewer comes, is a woman
>sits opposite me, so apparently we are doing the interview right there
>offers a handshake
>try to reach out and shake her hand, hand is sweaty and can see her disgust as I grip her
>She starts off with a 'basic question'
>Asks me what experience I have with travelling
>Remember reading that you should always gain the upper hand on the interviewer and catch them by surprise
>make a joke
>'I got thrown off a plane recently because I thought the BLACK BOX flight recorder was the LUNCH BOX flight recorder and tried to steal it for the food!'
>they don't laugh or anything
>quickly try to tell them that I have visited 3 different countries
>they don't see interested
>interview starts
>goes really badly, can't think of any answers to questions
>on my way out walk over to a map of the world that is on the wall, point to the USA and say 'this is the fattest country and I will be the fattest employee'
>again they don't laugh
>literally emailed me 5 minutes later to tell me I didn't get the job
>>
>>36632199
Thanks anon, that was absolute gold
>>
>>36631764
This reminds me of that old webseries about vidya gaymen, Pure Pwnage

>i guess i cant get a job cuz all the guys who interview me are just n00bs who're too jealous of my sweet micro skillz
>>
>>36631622
>implying making apps is equal to having a real job
Top kek
>>
>>36632199
hekekhahehaheauheuhuehe
>>
>>36630789
If they ask you played football say you did for a bit in highschool and if they ask that you lift just say once in a while
>>
>I'm too strong for a job
>>
>>36630789
Hey there wagecuck, how's it hangin? Still at work? Are you hiding in the bathroom to quickly check 4chan or are you on your "lunch?" That sounds fun either way. I'm about to go snort some cocaine and fuck my trap girlfriend. After that we'lre going to see The Force Awakens for the 4th time and plan on sneaking in some twizzlers. We might even stop by Walmart later to see you! She needs to pick up an enema and I need some zinc for semen gains. Ta ta for now, tee tee
>>
>OP's sense of entitlement tho
>>
>>36630789
Depends on the job. If it's a blue collar job, no problem, If it's a white collar job, you won't fit in and you'll probably hate the sedentary working arrangement.
>>
>>36633064
>not taking 'whatever you can get' like an ambitionless cuck
>entitled milennial libruhls

Let this meme die please
>>
>>36630789
If you look like a slob, which some bb's are, that will be the deciding factor, slob=sloppy work.

My advice for any job hunt is to talk the walk - be very familiar with the organization's type of work, so that they have to spend less time training you.
>>
>>36633113
Sup OP. Didn't mean to strike a nerve.
>>
File: image.png (841 KB, 582x795) Image search: [Google]
image.png
841 KB, 582x795
>>36633113
pic related is me btw
>>
>>36632116
Come up with a concept and pay Indonesians to code it
>>
>>36630789
>6'1, 200lbs
>shit that guy spends all his time lifting and roiding
Seriously, no one will think this. You're a healthy man, that's what you are. They won't think you're imposing unless you behave like that
>>
File: 1459260130827.png (164 KB, 409x325) Image search: [Google]
1459260130827.png
164 KB, 409x325
>>36630789
>forcing a newborn pasta
>>
File: workoutnow.png (107 KB, 972x591) Image search: [Google]
workoutnow.png
107 KB, 972x591
>>36632199
thanks
>>
>>36630789
Yes. Downplay it as much as possible.
Bond style: I exercise when I have to.

First it plays to your advantage then it creates a glass ceiling because your peers and managers have to face reality and consider that you are not only more intelligent than then, but also in better shape because of that intelligence.
>>
File: 1433952397668.png (220 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
1433952397668.png
220 KB, 400x384
>>36632199
>>'I got thrown off a plane recently because I thought the BLACK BOX flight recorder was the LUNCH BOX flight recorder and tried to steal it for the food!'
>>on my way out walk over to a map of the world that is on the wall, point to the USA and say 'this is the fattest country and I will be the fattest employee'
breh
>>
>>36632094
Not op but you sound like you think you have it all figured too
>>
>>36631578
>implying that isn't the one trait most LEO have in common
>>
>>36631300
Yeah dude! You can even take those bitches back to your mom's basement when she's out grocery shopping for you
>>
>>36631234

That's true. The only super-rich guy I know (bank director) runs marathons and climbed Everest.
>>
>>36631622
This is game devs level of delusion lmao
>>
>>36630789

Anon, just lie. Say you are naturally big and do pullups and pushups every day
>>
File: funni_horsee.png (323 KB, 315x665) Image search: [Google]
funni_horsee.png
323 KB, 315x665
>>36632199
All decisions to hire candidates are determined in the first 12 seconds of the interview. If you don't dress properly, not on time, not professional, don't look good, etc. you're basically fucked from the get go.
The "basic questions" are there to test your charisma and reflexes, everything they ask are already in your resume and applications.
Then they'll either end the interview or continue to talk about the job. If it's the former you can basically give up, if it's the latter then wait at most a week for a call from them.
>>
>>36630789
How wide are your shoulders?
Mine are 21.5 and I'm 5'10
>>
>>36632199
> I got thrown off a plane recently because I thought the BLACK BOX flight recorder was the LUNCH BOX flight recorder and tried to steal it for the food!
>>
>>36630789

Depends what kind of job you are looking for.

If you want to be a programmer or something like that, then yes your huge build would prolly "scare off" your boss or the coworkers.

But you would have even better chances for physically challenging jobs. Mechatronics, engineers, construction, technicians
>>
>>36630789

"A" players hire other A players, B players hire C players, etc. If they're not hiring you because you're too badass, you didn't want to work there anyway.
>>
>>36635250
I'm a software engineer and the youngest and most /fit/ on my team. Doesn't really make a big difference. Just don't always talk about it.
>>
>>36635830

Seriously, ffs. This thread is the autism containment of /fit/ for the day. No one cares if you don't talk about it constantly.
>>
>>36635013
Never said game development. Just come up with a good idea and write it up and collect a few extra $1ks a month.
>>
>>36630789
If you really think it is impacting your job search, you could always wear less flattering clothes
>>
>>36630789

No, if you're not getting hired it's most likely because of the following:
>Suit isn't tailored
>Weak interview skills
>Less qualifications as an applicant
>>
>>36634262
Can't wait to see it on r/4chan!
>>
>>36636183
How dense are you lmao? Please reread the post and re-evaluate your life
>>
>>36636425
>sour grapes
Git gud newfriend.
>>
>>36636561
>doesn't understand what sour grapes means
>using words out of context
>being this fucking thick
Holy shit you're hopelessly retarded lmao
>suggests making apps as a job
No fucking surprises here
>>
>>36630806
Kek
>>
File: 1413173572711.jpg (63 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
1413173572711.jpg
63 KB, 530x600
>>36630789
Absolutely it is a bad thing. If your boss is a male he will see you as a threat.
>>
>>36636633
>crabs in a bucket
K more apps for me to make. Stay poor wagecuck.
>>
>>36636987
>strawman
>still using idioms out of context
Lmao keep proving your immense stupidity dumbass. I don't doubt that this isn't your first time
>>
>>36637040
>the boy who cried wolf
Kek didn't mean to strike a nerve dyel. I'd suggest learning to write apps newfriend. Don't bother replying I'm exiting the thread. Stay mad, get fucked, etc.
>>
>>36637100
>running away like a little scared pussy bitch fuckboy
>>
>>36630889
christ just mind your damn business
>>
>>36637157
Rofl...Festering in anger over your keyboard, beads of sweat formulating over your brow as you struggle to articulate your infantile emotions. Clearly me learning to code and earning money from applications upsets you judging from the gravity of your response. You are so weak. I dismiss you, peasant. Lmao don't bother replying I'm exiting out of the thread as soon as I post this.

[ ] x gon give it to ya
[ ] x is giving it to ya
[X] x gave it to ya
>>
>>36637270
>typing like an underaged retard
Reported
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 268x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 268x200
>>36637280
Get trolled on lil bish. Lurk more newfag kek.
>>
>>36637040
dude... come on its bait
app developers don't make anything, he's not going to be in the top 0.00001% that actually do make money
(but he'll probably claim he is and not post which app he's made)
>>
>>36631970
>>36631801
This. Tailoring is cheap af. Get a shitty suit from h&m or equally cheap store for less than $100. $45 later in tailoring and you have a $100 h&m suit that looks better than most fags in their Armani off the rack parachute pant suit
>>
>>36637291
All me btw
>>
>>36632960
Lmao>>36633064
>>
Tell them you used to be an athlete in a team sport and played at a national junior level but had to drop out due to injury or someshit and then discovered your true passion, working at a fast food place (if that's the job you're applying to).

You'll get bonus points for "being an achiever" and "being a team player".

I always say this and I always pass the interviews.

Then on a technical interview I tell them I want to be like a superhero or some other nerdy shit.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.