[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So they're about to open one of these like 8 minutes from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: Planet_Fitness.jpg (106 KB, 1024x625) Image search: [Google]
Planet_Fitness.jpg
106 KB, 1024x625
So they're about to open one of these like 8 minutes from my house. They have a ton of promotional signs about how it's a "judgement free zone". I've been lifting for less than a year and i'm in better shape than all the staff i've seen helping them set the place up, they're all like pudgy women in their mid 20s and older asian guys. Can you guys share experiences with these places? It says it's only 10 bucks so i really have no idea what to think.
>>
>>36617305
judgement free zone means excellence free zone
>>
>>36617305
lmao dude theres threads bashing this place constantly

its okay if youre a cardio bunny or just starting lifting i guess but thye dislike serious lifters and go through hoops and bounds to stop you from making it. if i were you just go to a different gym or something
>>
https://youtu.be/QqnWAYU4Wv8
>planet fitness=no GAINZ
>>
It isn't a gym. They literally say this in their advertisements.

Don't go there expecting to get a good workout
>>
>>36617305
I went a few weeks ago with the gf as a guest. I was actually kind of surprised. No deadlift area but given the people who were there I bet they would have let me and hell I probably would have had a few people wanting to rotate in... maybe thats not a normal planet fitness though. Saw a guy hitting 2.5 plate squats in the rack. Also no lunk alarms were sounded for someone dropping the weights. I think they only do that for the asshole attention whores that want everyone to see whatever they were lifting. honestly I liked their benching area a little better than my current gym.. the bench is a little wider so I dont feel like I am falling off to one side.... I really hated their stationary bikes though. Also tons more women there, I really wanted to go check them out more but was with gf so cant do that.

so maybe my experience wasnt normal.. see if they have a trial membership and go a few times and see if your local branch is cool or not.
>>
Some have barbells but most don't, certainly not new ones

Pizza day is real

Lunk alarm is real
>>
https://youtu.be/V_QPjFKqUF8

need I say more
>>
>>36617370
this is staged.
>>
>>36617414
Thanks anon, we wouldn't have known otherwise.
>>
>>36617305

hi OP, I used to go to a PF in Texas before I became home gym master race. It was an unusual PF (I think it was a franchise location) because they didn't care if you did diddlylifts.

experiences:
- cheap as shit obviously
- the regulars were pretty based. I made friends with guys who were legit strong. The black guys and hispanics were also really chill, they tended to come in groups and be friendly toward anyone who wanted to work in etc. White guys tended to come alone, the strong ones were chill and based, the DYELs who thought they were strong because they could quarter-squat 300lbs on the smith machine were faggots.
- the girls who used the free weights were friendly, particularly the hot ones.
- no squat racks, only smith machines, which is a real bummer
- they did have bench and incline bench though.
- it was extremely busy during week nights. I would have to ask to work in pretty much every time when it came to the smith machines.
- lots of hot cardio bunnies. Being cheap, it attracted young student girls.
- lots of weak people, I would often get mired DLing 315.

all in all, it's worth $10/mo if you don't mind squatting on smith machines. But make sure you speak to the management and ask about their deadlift policy.
>>
>>36617305
>Can you guys share experiences with these places?

I read stories around the board. Basically it is a gym that still glorifies fat people, if you are /fit/ and people feel intimidated by you then they will ask you to tone it down or leave cause it upsets people.

Also I believe they literally have a pizza day (?) or was that another gym..

But I remember that there was this whole thing about a woman who went there and was wearing either sleeveless shirts or tights and people felt aggravated by them cause she looked slimmer than them and they wanted her gone from the gym.
>>
Planet Fitness is were you go when you're overweight and you just want to jog on a treadmill for 45 minutes a day. Nothing wrong with that, It's not supposed to be like a gym-gym. Thats the whole judgement free zone part of it. It's judgement free because everyone there is just fat and trying to lose weight or whatever.

Some are more fully stocked though. Just depends on what you're into.
>>
File: areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpg (188 KB, 310x387) Image search: [Google]
areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpg
188 KB, 310x387
>>36617329
>>36617361
>>36617370
OP here, holy shit it's worse than i thought. How the fuck did first few of these get funding.

>"hey i got an idea for a gym"
>"great idea fitness is a growing business and getting people in shape is a good cause!"
>well would if we like serve pizza, have some dumb ass alarm, and design it to look like build a bear"
>>
>>36617305
more like planet fatness
invest in a home gym op
>>
>>36617455
>How the fuck did first few of these get funding.
Cause your society is based now around people who want to be cuddles and when it is hard they want people to make it less hard and make it feel easier even if it destroys their goals but lets them give into their cravings.
>>
>>36617305
I was just looking its 20 bucks a month Current sub is $65 a month at the Y. I want to go to planet fitness to save 45 dollars a month and get free tanning sessions but In the pictures on their websites i don't really see any free weights just cable machines and smith machines, no squat racks. Fuck saving money gets my dick hard but Free weights are a must
>>
I go to one when I need to get a quick workout in and desu I see alot.of dudes there with better physiques that an average /fit/ fag. If you are starting out and need something cheap where u can get a decent base it's good even if you are intermediate it's not bad just not preferable. Don't buy into all the bullshit. People workout in worse places with less equipment and do fine.
>>
So how do they afford to have those such small fees?
>>
>>36617599
Large consumer base, probably.
>>
>>36617599

No free barbells means lower insurance

Vending machines

Most of their customers literally just never show up
>>
>>36617370
Holy fucking shit, I though that "lunk alarm" was a meme, like penis inspection day. This thing ACTUALLY exist? You literally can't make this up, that's too absurd. So what happens when the alarm sounds, does someone come to you to give you a warning, or they kick you out or what?
>>
>>36617770
>Most of their customers literally just never show up
This is the reason why. They attract the NYR's with the low price and sign them up for a full year or two then they stop going after 1-2 months.
>>
>>36617305
They're terrible for lifting. Nothing but a bunch of douches spending more time sitting at a machine while looking at their phone and/or others than really working out.
I only go there for cardio since New England weather is fucking bullshit.
>>
>>36617429
>in Texas
>literally everyone was so nice

Of course everyone was chill. You live in the best country in the USA
>>
>>36617455
Because the CEO and board of that chain is red pilled and cynical as fuck.

Someone at the board meetings probably proposed "all right guys, we're going to sell people the illusion of fitness, and the dumb fucks in America will buy it up in droves"

Maybe some white knight idealist stood up at that time and suggested "wait a minute, surely the American people can't be all retarded enough to believe true transformative change can come from being coddled."

To which the CEO countered, "obviously not everyone is going to fall for it, but there should be more than enough to make us all rich, get to it boys. And make it purple - the color of royalty - so it's not even a secret they're paying a dipshit tax to royalty"
>>
This company views it as perfectly okay to see someone in the process of lifting a heavy weight and blaring an alarm to startle them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8tn0S7QVKM
>>
>>36617916
penis inspection day is a meme? its real for me
>>
>>36617305
Just go. It's cheap enough so you've got nothing to lose. You can always join a different gym at a later date.

If they start judging you for looking "intimidating" I.E too muscular then just ask them why you are being judged in a judgement free zone.
>>
>>36617916
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0egDqoccA
>>
the lunk alarm is actually real it even goes off if you talk too loud our your phone rings
>>
>>36617305
A gym that targets cucks and old people. I worked there and the personal trainer was a fat faggot. Literally and obese flaming homosexual. He was the lunk alarm nazi and went out of his way to shame the only people who were actually making an effort. Fucking SJW headquarters really
>>
>>36618870
An**
>>
>>36618230
I just started working for a software developer that centers around fitness and they are growing explosively. Case in point, Planet Fitness is not one of their clients and probably never will be.
>>
Planet fitness goer reporting in. I go to them just because I'm saving money to go to another gym that has a whole bunch of better equipment. The one I go to doesn't have a lunk alarm but the pizza day is real and it's the first monday of the new month. No one is forcing you to eat the pizza or little tootsie rolls. It's just marketing. Half the people there are on their phones anyway.
>>
File: Planet Fatness.jpg (91 KB, 1024x625) Image search: [Google]
Planet Fatness.jpg
91 KB, 1024x625
>>36617305
Here OP I fixed your pic for you.
>>
>>36618692
I have bad news for you anon.
>>
>>36619017

>"look mom I posted it again!"
>>
>>36619272
>look mom I posted "look mom I posted it again" again
>>
File: 1456365503314.png (2 MB, 1000x967) Image search: [Google]
1456365503314.png
2 MB, 1000x967
>>36619292
>>
>>36619272
>>36619292
>"look mom I got butthurt about it again (because I'm a fatass who eats pizza at Planet Fatness)"
Get correct fatties
>>
>>36619352

>implying
>>
>>36619352
Shut the fucking fuck up you fucking fucky fuck
>>
File: tlop stfu.png (203 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
tlop stfu.png
203 KB, 1024x1024
>>36619484
>>
how bad they are really depends on the location some will sound the lunk alarm if you even work to failure

others wait for grunting and some will only sound it for dropping weights

you basically can't deadlift there. and they only have dumbbells up to like 60 lbs or some shit

it's not a bad place to go if you're poor and just starting
>>
If cardio is your thong, then PF is absolutely perfect and cheap place for you. The majority of equipment @ the one I work at is treadmills.

If you are a beginner lifter, then PF is meh. You can create a decent workout with the dumbbells, but the machines stifle your progress. The only ones who should be using them are old people and people with injuries.

If you want to body build or powerlift, then FUCK NO. PF absolutely sucks at this department. It is literally the worst place ever for this. Even the thing I mention to callers asking for information is "We focus on general fitness. We do not cater to BODYBUILDERS and POWERLIFTERS". In adfition you can't do any of the essential lifts, like deadlifts, even with the dumbbells. When my boss isn't around, I ignore a lot of the rules (including grunting and dropping weights). The one week my boss wemt on vacation, I turned off the lunk alarm and told the lifters to go at it provided they weren't annoying about it.
>>
>mfw I realize this post is just marketing for Planet Fitness.
Don't tell me you haven't considered joining just to check out the lunk alarm
>>
>>36618820
>nobody yells "bye bitch" as he roids his way out

pussies
>>
I kinda want to go to a planet fitness since social anxiety issues wont let me go to any regular gym until im not obese and just overweight. I got a feeling that I can show up to one at 3am and not have to worry about anything.
>>
>>36617455
well, judging from its popularity the general population doesn't give a single fuck about what is the right path and is willing to settle for any illusion to silence their nagging subconscious that wants them to not be mediocre.

planet fitness knows that and capitalizes on that to great success.
>>
>>36617305
You can probably go there while you save the cash for a regular gym membership and invest in a home gym then leave
>>
>>36618196
>Of course everyone was chill. You live in the best country in the USA

yep I miss TX every day ;(
>>
>>36617455
Havent you seen the movie Dodgeball?
>>
>>36620603

You can find a 24 hour PF and do that senpai. Most people that go there are busy in their phones anyway.
>>
>>36617718
>Large consumer base

Heh
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.