[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you look for in a gym? Ive been thinking of opening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: sweet-tooth-fairy-bakery-5.jpg (154 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
sweet-tooth-fairy-bakery-5.jpg
154 KB, 720x480
What do you look for in a gym?

Ive been thinking of opening one for a while now. Im probably going to make the move within the next 2 years so I decided to get some ideas flowing and get some ideas together.

What do you wish your gym offered that they dont? What do you wish gyms would offer that they dont? There arent plans on making a huge gym, im thinking around 3k sq ft, and I have the credentials to train as an exercise physio, however I do not have the overall experience in dealing with the general public, only athletes who have professional aspirations so when it comes to the general population, who will be my main group of interest, I dont know too much about whats interesting.

Any ideas? Just a general thread about things you wish gyms had as well.
>>
>a sports massager in the building
>a nice looking and aesthetic environment
>a good sound system
>a lighting that makes you look good
>a good air conditioning
>>
>>36593998
Open space, and a variety of equipment. Also some space for things like ab workouts or full body workouts. Also is a sauna too much to ask for?
>>
tootsie rolls and a humanity-left-behind alarm
>>
>>36593998
I wish for a larger free weight area.
Also if you cater to the general public, maybe try the approach of "one free form lesson" and do them in teams. Learn 5-10 people at a time how to deadlift etc. Since that's what I see people do wrong so often. And after that they can pay for more help or just use the gym themselves.
>>
>>36594027
Theres nothing over the top here other thana sports massager. I wonder what the credentials for that are really, but it shouldnt be too hard to get considering. How much of a demand for something like this even exists.
>a lighting that makes you look good
This is probably the best idea. Install fixtures so they are in key places where people check their selves out. Make them look/feel good

>>36594040
Arent there smaller saunas? I am really interested in opening a boxing portion so a sauna would be nice and isnt too expensive looking at quick prices. Quality would matter tho, and considering the size it would be a bitch managing something that small for a smaller gym in times of bigger crowds. Could be limited to the boxing portion though where there would be tons of space for full body workouts.

>>36594093
Ive seen places with just deadlift areas. It seems like an inefficient use of space IMO but I also really like the idea of bigger free weight sections and I personally have found space during free weights to be an issue.

>maybe try the approach of "one free form lesson"

We are starting pretty small, maybe 3 employees to begin with and looking to start with 50 clients. The goal is to have everyone who signs up get a free Posture and functional movement assessment. With that a plan would be built focusing on corrective exercises and adjusting compensations within muscles. After the initial fundamental prep stages (about a month in routine) options for a linear or undulating routine based on ones goals are set up for 3 months. Our plans would probably be 3 months long, and this is strictly for the benefit of the customer because the reality is a professional business would not try t sell you on a monthly basis if they cared about your personal health. We want to emphasize personalized health. We will definitely teach proper form and have people walking around offering advice for free. We want everyone to benefit as much as we can.
>>
a gloryhole in the changing room
>>
>>36593998
This is what i want that my gym doesn't offer:

Seated cable rows, normal pullup bars, regular plates without dumb plastic outer coating, decent bars, power racks with 1 inch pin holes
>>
>>36594406
Ive actually looked at all of those and agree with them all except the plates. Im assuming youre talking about the rubber plates or Vinyl plates. I would never used vinyl, that would be terrible. Rubber plates are more than likely what i will be looking at though. Imagine running a gym, putting 30k into equipment and then someone breaks your equipment by the time you are supposed to finally break even. ALl you do is continue a process of rebuilding your gym so rubber is the way to go imo.
>>
Sufficient equipment. No minorities.
>>
>>36593998
The road to hell...
Even if you manage to open up a gym, you'll end up either with the usual "30% active, 70% only paying" customer rate or with such a niche gym that you'll be almost bankrupt everytime someone quits his membership.

That said, I'll wish you the best of luck, OP.
I would say most important to a gym for me are: (in ranking) location, cleanliness, other members, equipment and price.
>Location
Must be near or at least easy to get to. Good public transportation or at least close parking
>cleanliness
Dirty showers or eqipment are a surefire red flag
>other members
I don't want to train with retards, bouncers and wanna-be mma losers
>>
>>36594976
>The road to hell...
can be, I know.

> the usual "30% active, 70% only paying" customer rate
Maybe, but thats not a bad thing. Alot of gyms benefit from that fact. no damage to equipment and free money, thats why they do contracts. But if youre not working to keep them or make new customers then youre not doing enough to run a business.

> niche gym- you'll be almost bankrupt everytime someone quits his membership.
The whole point of me opening this is because I want to be able to help the general population in a more advanced way than they are used to. The niche isnt bad, not something the gym would be focused on. infact all business projections Ive researched stress how its the niche that makes the company in this situation along with location of course. Industries growing- trends going to increase, industry still rising and will continue. these fears seem based off poor management issues rather than the industry.

I understand how important all of that is though, so its good to hear it again not to lose focus, thanks.

>>Location
Must be near or at least easy to get to. Good public transportation or at least close parking
Definitely what we will do the most research on when we open. We are still getting the vibe n what we want to represent, but we definitely want the community gym feeling more than the "go in, do your thing, leave" kind of gym. we dont overestimate our needs, this can get pricey and we would prefer to open up a 2nd place with good growth or even move to upgrade

>cleanliness
Did a lot of listening about that today, agreed.

>other members
I don't want to train with retards, bouncers and wanna-be mma losers

This is what interests me because i know theres hate between modality users. Gyms seem to organize their selves to space them out, but who are considered retards? I dont know anything about MMA and have no plans on that. Even the boxing is more of an idea than something I would implement. cheap equipment, but interest is hard.
>>
Strong air conditioning system
Private sauna rooms
Or make it against the rules for old guys to stare at your junk for 5 minutes straight
>>
some things i would do, invest a lot in advertising,
social media and get some instagram people (mostly girls) to workout for free for at least 6 months, that make people workout there.

try to get a coffe place with lot of healthy options.

ambient sound and tall ceiling (at least 5m tall) it makes the enviroment lot better and bigger

cleaning, focus on a clean and proper place to workout, also try to get an really distinct smell on the air

make routines for free in the begining, it will make people feel that you know what you're doing

big mirrors and proper lighting
>>
>>36593998
>Lots and lots of racks
>Adjustable benches
>High quality barbells, powerlifting and weightlifting ones
>Competition bumper plates
>Dumbbells that go up to at least 60 kgs
>Specialty bars: trapbar, Swiss bar, fatbar, safety-squat bar, buffalo bar
>Farmer's walk implements. Maybe yoke bar as well
>Sleds/prowlers
>Gymnastic rings
>NO MIRRORS at the racks
>Possibility to bring equipment outside
>Aerodyne bikes, rowing ergometers

Machines aren't really needed, but some are nice to have. If you want to cater to athletes go for glute-ham raise, reverse hyper, back extension. If you want to cater to bodybuilders go for leg press, hack squat, leg curl, calf raise, pulley towers and maybe some plate-loaded chest press or row machines.

That's how you make a good gym.

If on the other hand you want to make a profitable gym, forget all of the above and just cram as many treadmills in there as you can.
>>
>>36595431
>Machines aren't really needed, but some are nice to have.
he wants to get money from the gym, not make a meme weightlifting place, machines are a must for girls, old people and noobs
>>
i dont know shit about businesses, but wouldnt it be smarter to buy a license and open yet another random franchise one?
Do that and triple the number of racks they usually have.
>>
Have bench press, individual bench that can go incline, dumbbell rack, lightning, big mirrors, Something like an air conditioner but not quite, the normal ones that are like fans, that dont produce cold enviroment (I and many in my gym have difficulty breathing when deaslifting and squatting because the air inside is so fucking cold we have to go outside to the balcony to catch our breaths and recover for next set) Water fountain and a weight balance somewhere in the gym. Also a good idea might be opening a protein bar, charge $1 or more per shake, you'll make descent money.
>>
>>36595471
Did you not read the rest of my post?
>>
weights get re-racked.
viable equipment:person ratio
sauna steam plunge pool
>>
>>36595420
>social media and get some instagram people
This is what we just started planning. We figure get some kind of recognition before getting started. The idea with women is genius because its so obvious. Being from LA everyone there wants to be a model, I'm sure I could get free shoots and everything.

Coffee is definitely what I have been planning for. I'm not a big coffee drinker so I have no idea whats "good".

>ambient sound and tall ceiling
agreed. How do people feel about a gym with a boxing gym feel? I love the old boxing gym look/feel but that could be off-putting.

>make routines for free in the beginning
Routine advice will theoretically be free for everyone. I think everyone deserves to know what theyre doing when they are paying to be there. I dont have intentions of gimmicking people out of money, my biggest marketing strategy is going to be results.
>>
>>36595606
>my biggest marketing strategy is going to be results
It's a nice thought but it's going to be impossible unless you take on every gym-goer as your personal client.

You need to figure out what kind of population you're trying to get to your gym. If you want to make money, you need to get as many average people in. But the fact of the matter is that most of these people never get anywhere. They just set up a membership and stop going after a couple of months.
>>
>>36593998
I wish all gyms had separate showers instead of just one big room where everyone showers. I'm still kinda embarrassed getting naked infront of strangers.
>>
>>36595431
>>Lots and lots of racks
The issue with this is the average person doesnt use them. It becomes a sinkhole because they are one of the more costly equipment as is and thats without the weight needed.
>Adjustable benches
Agreed. Priority for me, important for space alone.
>High quality barbells
Quality is important for free weights for me. They need to last.
>Competition bumper
Will do. same as above
>Dumbbells-60kg Plans for 1 set, too rarely used.
>>NO MIRRORS at the racks
Explain? Ive never heard anyone talk about this.
>Possibility to bring equipment outside
More than likely just indoors.
>Aerodyne bikes, rowing
Check
>Machines aren't really needed
They are for anyone who doesnt already have a nice following. They are what the average person and woman use. Women are important because they always bring friends.
>make a profitable gym
Can be done doing what you want imo.
>>
>>36595673
My gym has 4 showers which are in an individual little 2x3 space and have door with locks and coat hanger
>>
>>36595507
>i dont know shit about businesses
Neither do I. I have a lot to learn, this is just brainstorming for something I plan on researching for another year or 2. Im not sure what you mean though, you mean open up someone elses franchise? Yes, but thats not what I want. I want to open it up using my own systems and my own education that Ive spent all these years acquiring. I have my own thoughts on how to properly train people and I think the current popular gyms have become just that, money making machines and because of that injury rates are up across the board. I would have free corrective exercise sessions or guides and allow people to take care of what they want instead of being forced into a generic program that does not support self efficacy and sustainability.
>>
>>36595534
>lightning
kek
>36595634
> impossible unless you take on every gym-goer as your personal client.
Well no, thats exactly why group workouts have boomed. Stats dont need to be incredible to show results, plus you could easily take measurements throughout programs and show results. With a group you take the most dramatic.

>You need to figure out what kind of population you're trying to get to your gym. If you want to make money, you need to get as many average people in. But the fact of the matter is that most of these people never get anywhere. They just set up a membership and stop going after a couple of months.
Which is why good businesses cater and create the emotional connection between client and the gym community. And once again, depending on how well you manage location and clients, people who dont come back isnt always a bad thing. The money is in group workouts, and those people even pay ahead of time so at some point theres always a base of knowing what is nearly guaranteed to come in.
>>
>>36595673
I would definitely have this implemented, for sure. I'm still uncomfortable like that myself, and the average person who is trying to get in shape still would be incredibly discouraged if fit people were in there flaunting. Understood completely.
>>
a gym with strippers dancing in steel cages hanging out from the ceiling.
>>
https___://www.facebook_____com/IntelligentStrength/videos/991196940933397/

my dreamgym is opening up tomorrow, gonna join next week once I get my money
>>
>>36597606
For those of you who dont speak german.

16 powerracks
3 IPF approved bench stations
4 oly platforms
Strongman area fitted with logs/atlas stones/tireflipmachine
(nearly) all bars and weights from Eleiko
Photobooth with perfect lightning and mirrors so you can monitor your progress
Dumbells up to 200kg
Showers fitted with pullup bars
A beamer that will be showing arnie/stallone/etc movies and bodybuilding/PL/Oly competitions all the time
and much much more I'm too lazy to type

Oh and no cardio machines and no useless retard machines, only a few leg presses/extensions/curls and cablecrossover stations.
>>
>>36597641
>Showers fitted with pullup bars
lmfao wat.

>Oh and no cardio machines
enjoy shit performance without an aerobic base.

>only a few leg presses/extensions/curls and cablecrossover stations.

So there are machines..
>>
>>36593998
>AC
>Sauna/Steam room
>Pool
>Platforms for lifting
>More than one or two fucking squat racks
>Same for bench
>Rubber coated plates, not metal
>Not crowded as fuck

Have room for expansion if needed
>>
pizza monday
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.