[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is yoga a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: hatha-yoga.jpg (273 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
hatha-yoga.jpg
273 KB, 800x533
Is yoga a meme?
>>
Yoga for spirituality is a meme.
Yoga for athleticism is a solid addition to any strength training.
>>
>>36568393
/thread
>>
>>36568393
/thread
>>
>>36568393
This. Yoga was born of imperialist ideals to be more fit in combination with Indian desire to hold onto their own culture. The spirituality part is 20th century garbage. Stretching however is always a good idea.
>>
Forgot the article which is long but a good read.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/2989a78a-ee94-385e-808f-c9c7c38d1cb7

Tl;Dr it's a "pajeet wants to be strong and fit too" episode
>>
>>36568477
>>36568393
Yoga for Western teenage girl "spirituality" is a meme

Traditional Yoga is not

Also, some of the earliest yogic texts are from around 100ad, not the 18th century
>>
>>36568477
Yoga that people talk about is the stripped down version of the workout portion of an ancient indian martial art.

Most of those movements are the lessned forms of movements created specifically to get the body strong limber and ready to fuck shit up as well as spirituality.
>>
>>36568509
>traditional yoga
You drank the kool-aid anon. Shit is from the 1900s.
>>
>>36568538
Explain the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali then
>>
File: 1458695727384.gif (785 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
1458695727384.gif
785 KB, 400x224
>>36568509
I would have to agree to an extent. In my experiences though the meditation aspect of yoga is pretty solid. Pysically though, I think yoga complements your typics heavy ass diddly bench and squat. Besides... Eliot does it..
>>
>>36568561
"Singleton goes back to the India of the 1920s and 1930s and shows in forensic detail how modern Yoga was constructed out of Western ideas of gymnastics and a modern Indian political nationalism. He points out that traditional Yoga has very few poses - and most of those are variations on the seated meditation posture. For hundreds of years, Singleton says, yoga was not about physical fitness but a system of meditation and philosophical enquiry.

And in a brilliant piece of detective work Singleton goes on to show how in the 1930s a completely fictitious spiritual history was created for this new kind of Yoga - which then allowed it to be sold back to the west as something ancient and mystical.

It happened in the Jaganmohan Palace in Mysore. The Maharaja was a fitness fanatic, he installed a gymnasium and invited K.V. Iyer to come and teach his body building there. As Singleton shows, in the next door room was an unknown yoga teacher called T. Krishnamacharya who then proceeded to take the yogic physical culture that Iyer had invented - and push it much further."

The old stuff is real but completely unrelated
>>
>>36568578
Sauce please
no homo
>>
>>36568645

The problem with this analysis is that what we in the West know as yoga is only a small sliver of actual yogic practices.

The four arms of yoga are:

>mantrayoga - samadhi through mantra practice
>hathayoga - samadhi through physical practice
>rajayoga or jnanayoga - samadhi through concentration
>bhaktiyoga - samadhi through devotional practice

Yoga Hatha - what we in the West understand as Yoga - has been practiced since at least the 11th century BC. However, it was not the most practiced form of yoga.

>>36568393

Physical yoga for spirituality is a meme. Combine it with mantra meditation, concentration, and devotional practice and you can get somewhere spiritually.
>>
>>36568156
if you are western, yes.
>>
>>36568774
The problem with your argument is that OP is asking about modern yoga.

Was there an ancient martial arts based on spirituality with many poses? Yup.

Is yoga that? Nope.

Is it related to that? Only marginally.
>>
>>36568645
Yoga is a blanket term for all types of worship.

You can do yoga by praying to Vishnu and never moving a single muscle if you want to. Retard.
>>
>>36568965
>what I call yoga is not yoga but I'm going to call it yoga and deny the original thing is the real yoga

Liberal doublespeak.
>>
>>36568393
>Yoga for spirituality is a meme.
Incorporate meditation into your routine and they will compliment eachother. source: me, so it might be individual desu senpai baka.

>Yoga for athleticism is a solid addition to any strength training.
Very solid indeed.
>>
can someone tell me how standing on one leg like this is not extremely damaging for your knees, even if youre muscular it seems very wrong
>>
>>36568965

>Was there an ancient martial arts based on spirituality with many poses?

There were hundreds - there was one for every martial deities those people had.

As I stated, modern yoga is Yoga Hatha with all of the extreme aestheticism removed. Yoga Hatha has existed for nearly a thousand years - reaching Samadhi through physical purification. The poses people practice in Western yoga have all been lifted from Yoga Hatha, though these asana are only a small part of the original practice. Yoga Hatha has much more emphasis on bodily and breath control. The problem is that it was never a particularly popular sect of yoga - most people preferred Bhaktiyoga (devotional service) or Mantrayoga (mantra meditation) for their spiritual development.
>>
>>36569190
... really? what are your bones made of, rice fiber or something? And cartilage bubblegum? baka desu senpai wtf
>>
I've tried yoga for a few months as an addition to strength training. My main goal was to get more flexible and to relax. It works fairly well for both of those things, but it's not at all an effective way to train. I wouldn't do yoga to reach any kind of performance goal, but if you're like me and find stretching to be incredibly boring then yoga is pretty cool. Before you ask, it's not a great place to pick up chicks. Everybody rushes out immediately after class, and there's no interaction during class.

It also has a lot of bullshit that's clearly retarded.
>>
>>36569230
well to me it looks like the leg is a lever and the more angled it is the more pressure gets put on it, like putting a boulder on a bamboo stick
>>
File: yare yare.jpg (24 KB, 460x468) Image search: [Google]
yare yare.jpg
24 KB, 460x468
Literally what even is the difference between yoga and stretching?
>>
>>36569481
this
>>
>>36569481
yoga: strength, mobility, agility, flexibility, better at fucking
stretching: flexibility
>>
WHere do I find good yoga videos/routines? I really want to try it
>>
File: Untitled-1 copy.png (417 KB, 699x702) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1 copy.png
417 KB, 699x702
>>36569481
Yoga is like calisthenics, but more pretentious.

It also allows unfit people to act like fitness leaders.
>>
>>36568526
you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>36570251
https://youtu.be/nAmc9SNciTg
>>
>>36570251

I started with the book Integral Yoga Hatha. It's a fantastic resource with beginner/intermediate/advanced routines. The traditional breathing and meditative posture techniques are detailed well enough, if that's not your jam just do the poses.
>>
>>36568774
>Yoga Hatha - what we in the West understand as Yoga - has been practiced since at least the 11th century BC.
Nope. It's re-marketed European gymnastics from the 1850s-1900s with some bullshit hippie spirituality tacked on.
>>
>>36571041
Keep relying on that cuck Singleton.

Y'all faggots are even spelling it wrong. There is no 'a'.
>>
>>36571109
Hth Yog?
>>
>>36571173
Hatha Yog. Yogh if you want to get phonetic. The 'h' sound is heavy and led to the common soccer mom pronouncing as an 'a'.
>>
>>36568156
What the fuck does that even mean? Ask a real question you autistic faggot
>>
asking fit about spirituality and yoga is like asking a fat american at mcdonalds what a vegetable tastes like
>>
>>36571653
Spirituality is what people claim when they have nothing real to offer.
>>
>>36569290
Body is leaned forward so centre of mass is over the foot. There is no shear force on the knee.
>>
>>36569290
>human legs are like bamboo sticks
the people giving you advice on /fit/, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>36571041

You're half right, brah. Hatha wasn't really practiced how yoga is practiced today - you didn't struggle through 50 poses in an hour alongside a bunch of cardio-bunnies and soccer-moms. You'd hold one for as long as you could and meditate - and some of the Siddhis could maintain these asana for days at a time.

My guess is people took the Sun Salutation (which was an ancient state-sponsored fitness routine) and just plugged the postures into a similar format that flowed well. Though there's nothing wrong with practicing yoga in this circuit method for general fitness/flexibility.
>>
File: cuck.jpg (57 KB, 800x1032) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
57 KB, 800x1032
>>36571653
this desu senpai baka fucking americucks
>>
File: dhalsim.gif (10 KB, 292x364) Image search: [Google]
dhalsim.gif
10 KB, 292x364
>>36569481
>it isn't until this very post that I realize what Dhalsim's joke is
>he's the yoga guy that literally cannot stop talking about yoga
>so good at stretching his limbs go across the damn screen
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.