[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bench competition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1458915476896.jpg (64 KB, 600x472) Image search: [Google]
1458915476896.jpg
64 KB, 600x472
There's a one rep max bench competition at my gym at the end of may. How do I prepare for this? Currently benching 120 kg / 265 lbs for 5x5. I found the smolov jr program but thats for only 4 weeks. Do put ohp in maintenance and bench 2x a week until I run the smolov jr the last 4 weeks?
>>
I'm sure it will be very humorous
>>
Do deadlifts. They're the #1 assistance excercise.

Smolov deadlifts is quite good too.
>>
Look into how bench is programmed in the sheiko programs, Bryce Lewis TSA, Mike Tuscherers RTS and more powerlifting programs. What you want to do is a) get better at doing heavy low-rep sets as they have better carry-over to your 1RM and b) bench more often to improve your form and amass more volume in the bench.
>>
>>36565171
It's pretty simple actually. You increase intensity and decrease volume. Just gradually reduce the reps you're doing from 5 to 1 over the course of those 4 weeks and at the same time begin cutting out any training that isn't necessary - Reducing the total workload will ensure you have enough work capacity to recover from the heavier reps and set you up for good performance at the competition.
>>
File: 1458497429907.jpg (9 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
1458497429907.jpg
9 KB, 400x278
>>36565183
Y-You too
>>36565188
No overhead deadlifts or barbell flies?
>>36565245
>>36565288
Thanks guys I'll look into it
>>
You should probably not go to the gym 1 week before or just go very light to let your body recover. I'm 3 days in (4th today) on week 1 and I'm definitely feeling the fatigue that I wasn't before when I was benching. Even though your muscles feel fine, you should definitely give your CNS a rest at the end if you want to perform well
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.