[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These aren't like the racks I saw in the videos linked on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-03-28_13-39-10.jpg (256 KB, 1148x803) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-28_13-39-10.jpg
256 KB, 1148x803
These aren't like the racks I saw in the videos linked on the sticky, but are the only ones in the gym I just went to. They aren't the same thing, are they? What should I do?
>>
Just make sure you have a spotter.
>>
>>36554706
So they aren't worse than the free bar? You can only go up and down with them, it should be easier to use but worse overall, right?
>>
>>36554689
they look like smith machines, they'll be fine for squats although not ideal. I would use a bench for bench press if you can though and not that, so you don't screw up your wrists twisting the bar to free it.
>>
>>36554689
Those are not racks, they are Smith machines.
>>
File: 2016-03-28_13-45-57.jpg (258 KB, 1165x721) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-28_13-45-57.jpg
258 KB, 1165x721
>>36554749
There are benches but I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to do this stronglifts program in this gym.

I just read the sticky this morning and went to the gym but I can't find the olympic bar and a rack like in the videos.
>>
>>36554689
From what I can tell there's no flat bench, unless they are adjustable? This should be a big red flag.

Those are smith machines, the bar parth is not efficient and is dangerous for squats and bench press.

I'd say keep looking for a gym if you can. I travel 11 miles to go to mine.
>>
>>36554774
Anon listen to me, those bars on the bench are fine for strong lifts. From what I can tell you can not squat in this gym. Those bars can be used to deadlift, but make sure this gym allows deadlifts because they seem like they won't.

I'd also recommend you google "Strength theory" and use a fake email to download the 28 free programs and run the novice programs for squat, bench and deadlift.

They are vastly superior to SL / SS. SL and SS aren't inherently bad, but more volume, less intensity (IMHO) Is a superior method of training as a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle.
>>
>>36554814
>From what I can tell you can not squat in this gym.
But isn't the squat the foundation of these programs?
>but make sure this gym allows deadlifts because they seem like they won't
What do you mean?
>>
>>36554856
Squats are useful, yes. But that gym doesn't seem to have anywhere you can squat as there are no squat racks or power racks.

Sometimes gym owners don't allow you to deadlift as they are scared of law suits or you making noise. You'll need to ask the owner if deadlifts are allowed.

I would NOT recommend squatting in the smith machine. The straight bar path is ticket to snap city.
>>
>>36554689
Time to find a better gym Senpai
>>
>>36554814
This strength theory looks awfully similar to stronglifts but they mention things like curls/pullups/pulldowns of my choice in addition to a bench press, for example. How do I know which are good choices?
>>
>>36554950
They shouldn't look similar, it's DUP.

They are good choices because Greg nuckols is actually a successful coach unlike Mehdi (strong lifts author)
They are standard lifts used world wide.

More volume builds muscle, a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle. I assume you're going to the gym to build muscle anon?
>>
>>36554950
Chose the novice programs by the way. I'd recommend benching 3x a week, squatting 2x a week and deadlifting 1x a week.
It's your choice though. That's just what I'd do.
>>
>>36555002
I'm really overweight so I think I should lose some weight first before building muscle. I'm at 170lb at 5'7", so I figured I want to lose like 40lb first. Is that too much?
>>
>>36555002
Oh and I asked about the pullup pulldown exercises because I don't really know how to do those, I only read about the exercises listed on the sticky (squats, deadlifts, press, bench press, etc).

I know there are a bunch of things you can do with those ropes and pulleys and dumbbells but I'm not sure what each of these are.
>>
>>36555057
I understand. You're a novice lifted, you can build muscle and lose fat. Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. As long as you lift you'll retain or gain muscle.

Don't worry about hitting a number on the scale, aim for a body fat percentage. The most accurate method of measuring body fat is with callipers; use an online body fat percentage calculator and enter the numbers the caliber told you.

Anyway, eat less, follow a good program like the Strength theory programs and the added volume will aid your weight loss.

I've been on this shithole forum too long, SL / SS was the worst program I've ever ran.
>>
>>36555085
This website will help you
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Google a lift you want to learn about and add the words "exrx" next to it.
I.e "Power clean exrx".

I can't help you much for learning form, except this video is really good for up to date form advice on the bench press
http://youtu.be/zL_gJa0bNDE

There's obviously better / more in depth videos but this one is particularly good.
>>
>>36554689
>bar racked so high manlets cant unrack them

top kek
>>
Thanks for all the answer. Last question: I see most of these programs doing 3x week training, but I'm currently doing very little with my life so I'd have no problem going to the gym 4 or 5 times per week for the first 3-4 months and then having to dial it back to 3x per week again. Is that a bad idea?
>>
>>36555352
Not a bad idea if you can find a program for it. Something like sheiko perhaps?

Otherwise follow the program.
>>
>>36554814
Jesus Christ, Greg. Just let it go.
You don't want to associate with the kind of retard that frequents this site.
>>
>>36554747
yes.
>>
>>36557178
Keked
>>
>>36554689
>>36554774
Start doing SL in that gym. At the beginning of SL the weights are low, if you start with the empty bar.
And start looking for a new gym, one with at least a squat rack.
My gym is very bad, only 1 squat rack, 1 bench press, but is enough to do SL.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.