[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martial Arts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: martial-arts-21.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
martial-arts-21.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
I'm thinking of learning a Martial Arts Technique, what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>36538848

Boxing for ~8 months
Into Judo for ~12 months
Into BJJ for ~12 months
Into Aikido indefinitely
>>
>>36538866
What is your favorite?
>>
I do Taekwondo, and I think it's great personally.
>>
>>Chinese Hsing I
>>Muay Thai
>>Boxing

Those are the stuff I've learnt before. Of the three I reccomend Boxing for SD and Muay Thai for Overall fitness

>>36539423
A lot of people here will shit on that choice breh. Eh, whatever if you like it then stick with it.
>>
>>36538866
more importantly: how often should one train and how important is to take lessons?
>>
>>36538848
Just do BJJ. Find a good school with a solid lineage, and just go for it. If you want to defend yourself, get a gun. If you want to compete and test your mettle vs. another another human being, do BJJ. Good schools are popping up everywhere.
>>
Best would be if you can find a good MMA gym or Krav Maga place, I've done a bit of Krav and loved it but moved cities and will be starting MMA soon, which is mostly muay thai, BJJ, and Judo. If not MMA or Krav, go for one of those three I'd say, although honestly it's more about the academy than the style.
>>
>>36539572
Depends. A good number would be two to three times a week. Daily if you want to git gud fast.

And yes, when you are first starting out training under the guidance of a teacher is important for fostering good technique.
>>
>>36539606
MMA can be anything, depends on what your trainer is specialized in.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (10 KB, 300x195) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
10 KB, 300x195
>>36538848
depends on where you live, Grasshopper. A lot of the "best" trainers choose some city to live in for some reason. Like New York, or San Fran... But like others say BJJ is everywhere so it might be good choice. Someone talked about the Chinese stuff which is great but you will have a harder time finding a good teacher and if you are new you might end up at some shitty place without knowing it. then if there are 600 gyms in your area for BJJ how do you know which one is better? anyway you hit the lotto if you find this teacher (pic included)
>>
>>36539658
Yeah I meant to say at the particular one I'll be going to, and I chose it partly for those three
>>
>>36539747
Oh,get it now
That's a nice combo
>>
Do you need to have a solid cardio/strength foundation before starting?
>>
>>36538848

anything other than Muay Thai/Judo/BJJ is shit tier tbqh
>>
>>36538848
I'm gonna try boxing sometime.

I would want to do some punching first at home but I'm afraid that because I'm a wristlet, I would injure myself real fast.

Wristlet life sucks.
>>
>>36540544
a basic boxing knowledge is almost fundamental and can be great accompanied to everything though
>>
Muay thai is the goat
>>
>>36540414

Solid strenght foundation is the key to success in any sport/physical activity. You'll develope your cardio base during sparring and such, but you don't pack on the required mass and strenght by doing martian arts only. I would recommend buying Mark Rippetoes book "Starting Strenght" and starting the routine. I'd run it for 6 months with 1000 calorie surplus before even entering a dojo so you won't be absolutely run over by other martian artists.
>>
been doing kyokushin karate for ~10 years now, all I've ever wanted
>>
>>36538866
>aikido
Well memed

>>36539606
>krabby jew
Good goy
>>
>>36538848
Wrestling and jiu-jitsu jitsu
>>
>>36540544
Wrestling>judo
>>
How old is too old to start?
>>
>>36541049
Can your dick touch your asshole?
>>
>>36541049
Are you still breathing?
>>
File: 1423204135970.png (66 KB, 701x674) Image search: [Google]
1423204135970.png
66 KB, 701x674
>>36540985
>>
>>36539423
Taekwondo is a good base, plenty of mma fighters start with it for good kicks, but you'll want to move onto other styles as well.
Trained in TKD for over 5 years, do judo and muay thai as well now.
>>
>>36541242
>ebin shitposting XDDDD
>>
>>36541083
>>36541090

Yet you donĀ“t see many active boxers over 30.
>>
>>36541329
2/10
Made me reply
>>
>>36541338
What do you mean ? Sure a lot of MMA fighters over 30, but boxers ? Not a chance.
>>
>>36538848
Grappling based MMA or try alot of things and stick to what you like.
>>
>>36541353
3/10
Made me spend 10 seconds on Google
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/177567-10-best-over-40-fighters
>>
>>36541381
Thanks for posting exceptions. You only proved my argument.
>>
>>36541423
Oops almost forgot where I was and got rused
>>
>>36540907
Shit advice.

Best way to get in shape for a martial is to train in that martial art. If you want side exercises to do, Burpees and pull ups beat SS errytime
>>
>>36538848
Muay Thai
>>
File: 1440628310875.jpg (22 KB, 700x333) Image search: [Google]
1440628310875.jpg
22 KB, 700x333
>>36538866
12 months is most commonly referred to as a year.

I've started training about about 5 years ago. BJJ, Shooto (catch wrestling+sambo), and Wrestling. I also did Muay Thai for most of that time, but now I mostly just grapple.
>>
Boxing with Wrestling/BJJ

Fuck Judo, go Wrestling or BJJ
>>
Trained Muay Thai and BJJ at a MMA gym for 2 years or so, some TKD mixed in there. Boxing gym for a year, did Kajukimbo for a few months during the boxing training. Took a few years of a break for bodybuilding, now I'm back into traditional Muay Thai.

There's a lot of technique to it, but it's the most "brutal" of everything I've trained in my opinion. Muay Thai is about putting as much hurt onto someone in the most efficient way possible. Boxing is good too, but obviously has weakness in being very specialized. Get a boxer in a clinch or in a situation that isn't an open area trading strikes and they rarely know what to do. The Muay Thai clinch is absolutely brutal in real life situations, knees are violent and the instinctual reaction to being kneed (pulling back, putting your arms in front of your stomach) just opens people up to more punishment. BJJ is lethal for the same reason, nobody knows what to do on the ground.

As far as general fitness goes, boxing gyms will probably get you in incredible shape fairly quickly. Hardest physical workouts I've ever done were in boxing gyms. Muay Thai workouts are physically tough but moreso mentally tough, it's hard to not throw in the towel and quit when someone's kneeing the shit out of you or chopping away at your legs.

Learned a lot of acrobatics doing TKD, which made it a lot of fun.

TL;DR: My suggestions,
If you want to get in great shape- Boxing or Muay Thai.
Self defense- Muay Thai or BJJ
Fun- TKD or some other acrobatic art

I found that, albeit with a few exceptions, specialized gyms (IE: Muay Thai only, boxing only, etc.) will train you much better than MMA gyms as far as technique goes. Most MMA gyms teach horrible Muay Thai technique.
>>
>>36543784
This.
And I'll add -
Karate and kung fu will also give you a benefit of practical mediation, which is a powerful force to have in your life. Karate is more effective than taekwondo, but less than BJJ or MT.
taekwondo is not just fun, it gives you agility like nothing else. I've trained in karate, MMA, classic boxing and taekwondo
and I was the fittest i had even (jumps, speed, cardio) in tkd.
on the effective scale, it's much lower than other martial arts, but far better than nothing.
>>
Carne sutra. From that weird chinese manhua. It'll help you eat the meat of spiritual beasts even in uncooked state
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.