[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critique My Form. Starting SS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: halfsquat-fuck.jpg (12 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
halfsquat-fuck.jpg
12 KB, 250x249
ust started SS as im a scrawny ****er, I wanna perfect my form before anything else. Cant really go any deeper on Squats. Hopefully thats deep enough. Tried to keep my back tight as possible on deads. Pretty confident my bench form is fine.
Tear me apart fellas
Squat: https://youtu.be/gkDehTBT4dA
Bench: https://youtu.be/1B7Fg_xAlZ8
Deads: https://youtu.be/dJoEyLo018g
>>
your not dropping the weight loud enough on your deads
>>
deeper faggot
>>
>>36531673
lmao
>>
File: 1448327693015.jpg (55 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
1448327693015.jpg
55 KB, 500x329
>>36531634
bench is great but you need to be further up on the bench so that you're able to lift the weight up and keep lock elbows the entire time the weight is over your neck and head

squat: deeper faggot. the more you do it, the stronger your spinal erectors will get and the more flexibility you'll gain in your hamstrings so just try to go deeper every time.
also, you're leaning onto your toes, never, never ever do this. It puts huge strain on your quadricep tendon. Once you start doing heavier squats that can actually seriously damage the tendons, it'll fuck you up. lean back more. I learned this the hard way and was out for 2 months only 3 weeks into SS when I started a long time ago.

diddle: stick your butt out and up. As rippletits states, the diddly is a battle between your spinal erectors and your hamstrings, your spinal erectors must win. Go with a lower weight to strengthen your spinal erectors even if your legs are able to do more. You might see more experienced lifters with the same look in the back, with the same amount of roundness but it only looks that way because of the amount of muscle or fat the have. Thats why strongmen look like they have rounded backs but their perfect form is hidden under mounds of muscle and fat.
>>
File: GS5mY6x.jpg (59 KB, 604x402) Image search: [Google]
GS5mY6x.jpg
59 KB, 604x402
>>36531634
Those squats m8 :)
stretch your calves before. If you still can't go deeper, do pic related daily.
>>
>squats you lack mobility in feet and hips fix that.
>bench there is not much thing to do here just kill yourself (very long arms and feet constantly moving while benching)
>deads hips shooting up to early, and your spine is holding pretty much all the w8. Work on your mobility (hips and hamstrings) also drop that running shoes and chose flat sole shoes.
>>
>>36531634
>>36532601
>>36532799
>>36532809

Lack of squat depth usually has nothing to do with mobility.

Need to see from the front to know if you're not doing it, but you need to have a wider than shoulder width stance. Also point your toes out more than you probably think and push your knees out hard so they track over your toes, then you hips will open enough for your belly to go between your legs and your hips to drop below parallel.

It's all in the book m8. Read it again.
>>
>>36531634
>>36532886
Also, this series is great if you'd rather watch and listen than read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30lxmo
>>
>>36531634
Your ass goes up way too fast on deads, you end up pulling with mostly your back.
>>
>>36532809
>deads hips shooting up to early, and your spine is holding pretty much all the w8.
Do you know what you are talking about? Deadlift is textbook.
>>
>>36532992
> So many bros in this thread.
The back has nothing to do with hip extension.
>>
File: 1448914496344.jpg (292 KB, 1167x903) Image search: [Google]
1448914496344.jpg
292 KB, 1167x903
>>36533013
>Eddie Hall, the world record holder, doesn't shoot ass up and pulls with both fuckin legs and the back
https://youtu.be/x5-mfOXF0i0?t=4m4s
>John Haack as well
https://youtu.be/jEoKGYmbfGE?t=53s
>and so does Leeman
https://youtu.be/4EEGp-66TuI?t=8m24s

Whatever you say bud.
>>
>>36533197
Again with this "back does the pulling".

If he drops his hips then his knee angle is going to close and his hamstrings will slacken. Eddie hall drops his hips to get a stretch reflex but pulls the weight with his hips high.

Our guy has a totally different morphology, it's like comparing apples with oranges.

His humerus has a 90 degree angle with his lats, perfect form, that's what's written in SS. Are you more knowledgeable than Mark Rippetoe, is that what you're saying?

Did you forget that you're posting on a Taiwanese Basket-weaving board.
>>
>>36532799
But isn't stretching beforehand bad?
>>
This is now a form critique thread. Help me fix shoulder pain in the bench and anything else you can spot please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odXUvw2C6EU
>>
>>36533500
Looks fine.

Do you shrug when you press overhead? Only obvious thing I can think of is shoulder impingement, but you bench form looks fine.
>>
>>36533500
youre pressing up towards your face more.

imagine a straight line from the bar to the floor. this is a force line

you need to keep the force line along your forearms. otherwise your shoulder will engage to help get the bar up.

lift straight up from your nipples
>>
>>36531634
Wear long jogging pants when deadlifting. As our god rippetoe said: we don't want your dna on the bar
>>
>>36533520

Yes I do, and whenever I didn't in the past I got shoulder pain. I watched this Alan Thrall on the subject and it's slowly getting better, but it still FEELS like a form issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg
>>
>>36533545
That's shoulder impingement.
>>
>>36533538

So I'm doing the red in this img I guess?
>>
>>36533448
No
>>
>>36532799
Left guy has heels off the ground
>>
>>36533448
Yes
>>
>>36533557

So how do I fix it? I've taken time off the gym before and it doesn't fix it.
>>
>>36533885
lift the bar above your lower torso, not anywhere next to your shoulders. do stretches every day (AFTER workouts, never before).
>>
>>36533916

Wait, what? This article: http://strengtheory.com/bench-press-bar-path/ says that the best lifters use the green path (which I simulated somewhat I realize) but you're saying do the red path, first up then back? Or are you saying just up and down and never back? That sounds wrong as well.
>>
>>36533955
that article is correct. you're trying to minimize the moment arm, so that you can exert as much force as possible and lift as much as possible.

my comment was about your shoulder impingement, which is usually caused by people who lift the bar in a straight vertical line above their shoulders, so i said not to do that, but to always have it lower than that.
the actual impingement is caused by the elbow being backwards at the bottom of this wrong position, where it twists the shoulder painfully. as soon as it's up in the air a bit, you can bring it above your shoulders.
>>
>>36531634
>doing SS
>not reading the book
hurr durr

>squats
Mobility. Stretch ankles and sit in sumo stretches for as long as you can
You should be pushing from your heels when doing legs
>bench
Not bad. Bar path. Learn how to brace core and engage legs and form a proper shelf with pinched shoulder blades, down and together.
>dead
Not terrible, lifting with back. Practice with SLDL and pauses off of the ground, need to learn to load hamstrings. Heels.
And stand fucking straight at the top, squeeze your glutes to finish, always.

>>36532799
It's not calves
It's literally ankles, achilles tendon specifically

>>36532886
A lot of people have tight ankles, limiting their ability to descend while keeping their heels on the ground.

>>36533448
Only static stretching of larger muscles
Stretch ankle tendons is what the guy wants to say but is too stupid to know about

>>36533538
>lift straight up from your nipples
No. Bar path on bench is not a straight line.
Forearms look pretty vertical to me
>>
>>36534031

I'm not following you, didn't I do that in the video? It's a diagnoal bar path. So if the video was correct, the issue may be an old one from my shittier form I guess? It's always on the way I down I feel it, not the way up.
>>
>>36531634
Form on all of these looks relatively good from a safety standpoint (not gonna fuck you shit up). As far as getting maximum output from each lift, they all need work. Better form will involve more muscles in the compound movements (maximizing gains), as well as allow you to safely move more weight while staying out of snap city.
Obvious advice is to watch more videos on how to preform each movement from multiple different people, but for some basic advice.

Squat: Go deeper. It will get easier the more you do it.
Bench: Plant your feet, keep your knees below your hips, arch your back as much as you can while remaining comfortable, and don't flare your elbows (you may be doing this already, hard to tell from the video).
Deadlift: Sit back more before you start. Your legs will be more involved in the lift, making you stronger and preventing any issues with your lower back.

This is all under the assumption that you care about getting bigger, stronger, and better at lifting. If it's just for fun and you were just worried about safety, then I'd say you're good to go.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.