[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHICH MARTIAL ART?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: PhotoforPseudo2.jpg (53 KB, 792x674) Image search: [Google]
PhotoforPseudo2.jpg
53 KB, 792x674
Hey /fit/

I'm looking to take up a martial art, I have friends and family that do Judo and Karate I've seen them do it for years and to be honest I don't really think either could help in a bad situation. Judo is all throws and holds, Karate seems to be endless kata and no contact...

I want something you can really use to kick someones ass if ever needed and also keep me in good shape alongside the gym..

What do you suggest??.
>>
>>36521953
boxing or thaiboxing
>>
Judo and karate (providing it's knockdown karate) could definitely help you in a bad situation.

Otherwise, go with muay thai, bjj, boxing, sanda/sanshou, sambo or wrestling.

There's nothing else really worth studying.
>>
>>36521953

Are you a weeb? Kyokushin.

Are you a normie? Boxing.
>>
Not martial arts in the strictest sense but if you want to defend yield in the real world the muay thai and krav maga.
>>
File: 1443478981448.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1443478981448.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
>>36521953
Krav Maga = God tier
>>
>>36521953
Ive done bjj, boxing, wrestling and taekwondo. I recommend all of these except for taekwondo.
Taekwondo is only good if you can find a good if you can find a good teacher and you being new to martial arts will have no idea to tell which teacher is good or bad.
Bjj, boxing, wrestling and muay thai are all good choices.
>>
pencak silat
>>
File: 1452465856581.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2902) Image search: [Google]
1452465856581.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2902
>>36521953
>you wan't to fight and be a real martial artist ? MMA, nothing else define a human fight more than that. Striking, wrestling and then taking it to the ground. Look how apes fight, we wuz monkey and shiet, don't ever forget that.

You wan't to defend yourself against armed/multiple agressors ? Serious self defence classes, there are tons of them just take care with some of the Kravmaga academys mcdojo. Use your brain when you see that a technique is wack. Other then that krav is decent but it won't teach you how to be a martial artist fighter, it'll teach you to survive
>>
>>36521953
Judo,
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu,
Sambo,
Western Boxing,
Thai Boxing (Muay Thai),
or Freestyle Wrestling.
All other answers are wrong.
>>
>>36522074
>freestyle wrestling
What about folkstyle?

Also wrestling has shit tier ground game either way.
>>
>>36521953

Judo is great. One on one, a decent judoka will trash most people. Against multiple opponents you'll be in trouble, but the idea of one guy taking down an entire group is largely just Hollywood anyways.
>>
If you get in a street fight, don't take it to the ground.
I had a buddy who was taking "MMA" classes who got in a fight with a cholo.
He took him down and started beating the guys ass, but the dude pulled a knife and almost killed my friend.

Take something normal like boxing.
This will teach you proper punching and how to take a hit or block/dodge one.
You don't want to throw Fucking tornado kicks in a street fight.
It's also a good idea to learn Greco-Roman wrestling.
If the other guy takes you down, it's good to know how to wrestle-fuck your way back on your feet.
>>
>>36522133
Even in that case you'd want to have some grappling background so you can get yourself up and run away.
>>
>>36521953
Judo.
It has a structured sparring that should happen every time you go, and if you fight yourself in a fight, throwing someone is the fastest way to make him reconsider his options, but don't go to ground with him or you'll get ganged up.
>>
Yo guys MMA is all the good aspects of all the martial arts, so really mma will teach you how to attack and defend against all possible attackers.
>>
>>36521953
Take it from somebody who took karate for 8 years: there's very little direct correlation between being good at karate and being good at fighting. It's mostly honing a very specific skillset and building a repository of muscle memory and Japanese phrases that has close to zero application in real life. It's not even particularly good exercise in and of itself. Most karate black belts would simultaneously piss, shit and vomit if they were caught in a combat situation that didn't involve taking off their shoes and politely bowing first, and I include the majority of instructors in that too. Karate can be fun, it can be a personal challenge, and it can be a stepping stone to confidence, fitness, etc.

If I was to turn back the clock and select a disciple for pure utility , I'd choose regular boxing, Thai kickboxing, or maybe jiu jitsu if I found a class that emphasized sparring.
>>
Muay thai
Kyoukushin karate
Judo
>>
>>36522279
Nope. Mma is a bastardised pick-n-mix discipline designed around winning in a controlled and rule-heavy sport.
>>
BJJ, Muay Thai, and wrestling= actually work, god tier
If not available, try judo and boxing. Pretty good, but kind of limiting.
Don't do anything else like tae-kwon do or Karate, if his name is sensei Bob and it's at the YMCA, it doesn't work.
Krav-Maga sounds good, but they don't compete. How are you supposed to get real training? It's like knife fighting classes, are you telling me you got into enough knife fights that you now have made a "technique that works"? C'mon
>>
>>36521953
There's a sporting event called MMA, ever heard of it? it's professionals who train more than full time to be able to beat the shit out of each other. Look up what they do and try to find a reputable gym in your area that teaches those martial arts, preferably one that has active competitors training there.

Here's a hint: BJJ, kickboxing, boxing, muay thai, wrestling.
>>
File: 1454516199458.gif (112 KB, 255x231) Image search: [Google]
1454516199458.gif
112 KB, 255x231
>>36522092
Royce... is that you?
>>
>>36522329
I bet you you suck cock professionally
>>
>>36522414
I have done both wrestling and bjj and i can easily say wrestling ground game is counterproductive in a street fight if anything.
For example, bellying out when you get taken down. Sure it helps you not get pinned in a wrestled match but in a real fight they can just throw nasty elbows to the back of your head. Some parts of it is ok like puttibg weight on your opponent but other than that its garbage.
Pulling guard when you get taken down is much more effective.
>>
Just carry a stick and you'll own most wannabe boxers and mma practitioner.
Talks about that are sterile anyway. Do whatever it'll be better than being untrained if you're not a shithead
Best way to win a fight is to no fight.
>>36522092
Folkstyle is good. More versatile in a wrestling stance. But the premise is self defense so greco roman would be better since you focus on the upper body
>>
Muay Thai. Really good for breaking people's noses.
>>
Muay Thai is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I lost 3 stone in around 4 months training 4 hours a week in conjunction with running and stopping snacking!
>>
>>36521966
>>36522074
>>36522350
>>36523022
>>36523134

>>36521953
follow these guys OP
Muay thai and western boxing masterrace
>>
OP just do any martial art that's a sport that has regular full contact sparring and is a sport.

When fighting is put through sport rules, everything that works stays and everything that doesn't work goes.

You will want regular sparring anyway because that really helps people get sharp, especially with grappling, and you'll want to get used to working against a resisting, skilled opponent.

Judo
Wrestling (freestyle, folk, greco)
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (10th Planet is good too, even though no gi training)
Boxing
Muay Thai
Western style kickboxing is good too
Dutch style kickboxing
Any decent MMA gym

Also do your cardio! Roadwork, and use a round timer for burpees, mountain climbers, crunches, pushups, etc.
>>
>>36522454
i have done both jj and wrestling and i disagree. the athleticism achieved through wrestling helps a whole lot with movement and balance. i would say cutting weight at adolescent ages isn't a good idea. i would say that using solely a wrestling style of fighting would be very ineffective in an anything goes fight. knowing and being conditioned in wrestling is a huge advantage against not knowing it in an overlapping of sorts when it comes to how one performs in a fight.
>>
Personally i wouldn't start a martial art for the sake of kicking someone's ass, if you want that start krav maga but if you want something that really challenges your body i'd advise kickboxing, taekwondo, muay thai. Still the toughest guy i've met so far was a master of kickboxing, aikido and wing tchung, he used the knowledge of the three and was a complete beast. I started wing chung recently and highly recommend it.
>>
File: fit does bjj.png (471 KB, 635x477) Image search: [Google]
fit does bjj.png
471 KB, 635x477
>>36525009
>wing chung
>aikido

>>36521953
I find that lifting and doing a striking martial arts Boxing, Kickboxing, or Muay Thai go well with lifting.

On the other hand, bjj is mostly about muscular endurance.

Whatever art you decide too choose, make sure to find a place that has sparring so you can get your money's worth.
>>
>>36522414
Matt Hughes beat Royce after becoming a bjj blackbelt
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.