[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When deadlifting, am I supposed to slowly lower the bar or drop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: deadlift_1 (1).jpg (24 KB, 594x514) Image search: [Google]
deadlift_1 (1).jpg
24 KB, 594x514
When deadlifting, am I supposed to slowly lower the bar or drop it (in a controlled fashion) once it gets past my knees?
>>
>>36521262
Depends if your form is good you can lower it back down. however, it is the lowering part that usually hurts peoples back. i lower it back down casue i was taught never to drop weights but thats what bumper weights are for.
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 651x429) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 651x429
Slowly lower it you stupid
faggot, leme guess you also drop the bar when you bench
>>
I was taught by a former competitive powerlifter, controlled drop, as slowly lowering is a ticket to snap city.

Obviously that assumes you have bumper plates.
>>
>>36521262

There's a time and place for each style.

No eccentric
You just let the bar drop whil your hands are still on the bar. You are going loose and you put no effort in controlling it on the way down. This is a good idea for peaking since every rep is done as a single, unlinke touch and go. This is also relevant when close to competition and you want to save your lower back. Jason Blaha says that it's the eccentric portion that creates soreness and there is nothing to gain from and explosive stand point. He does agree that the controlled lowering of the bar strengthens the lower back, but also highly increase the risks of injury.

It also depends if you are doing touch and go. If you do tng, don't slam the bar and bounce it off the floor, control it and just tap it on the floor. This, however, doesn't really transaltes to 1 rep max since the first rep is the hardest and the subsequent reps are just taking advantage of the inertia.

Just do whatever you feel like, but know the pros and cons of each method.

I just go loose and let the bar drop to the floor on heavy days. This way, every rep is like a single.

On light days, I control it, trying to make as little noise as possible, but it's still dead stop reps.
>>
>he doesn't know about the deadlift boner
>>
I honestly bend at the knees and basically do a squat to put it back down. I can keep my back straight to pick up the weight but I turn into a scared cat if I try to put it back down the same way.
>>
Guys for deadlift do I push with hips or pull with back?
>>
>>36525198
I push with legs until the bar is high enough to push with hips, but I snapped my shit up 6 months ago doing it so what the fuck do I know
>>
>>36525198
>doesn't know deadlift is a lower body exercise
>>
>>36525198
You basically just kick the floor so your hamstrings do their thing.
>>
>>36521262
Bar should go down as fast as your gym allows without letting go, unless you're doing a slow eccentric on purpose, which is extra work.
>>
>>36525198
You push the floor away with your legs.

Also, to keep lat tightness I pretend somebody is trying to tickle my armpits and I'm trying to guard them by sqeezing them in. Try to tickle your own armpit and see how you naturally defend it, and you will see what I mean.

That was the most important cue I found for diddies.
>>
dropping the weight is for piggy fatass powerlifters, if I can hear the weight hit the floor, you don't have control, and you should be in control of the weight the entire exercise.
>>
When you're done deadlifting it OHP it then spike it on the ground like a football.
>>
>>36525853
Don't forget to squeeze at the top for peak contraction.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.