[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sig/ SELF IMPROVEMENT GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 13
what are you doing besides lifting to improve yourself /fit/?

reading more?

learning a new language?

forcing yourself to socialize?

talk about it here, give tips, ask questions, etc.

i cant decide what to spend my next audible credit on, i kinda want something to help with my social skills that have declined over the past 2 years due to working from home and pretty much only going out to the gym and grocery store. i once saw someone recommend a book called 'make people like you in 90 seconds' or something similar, anyone know what im talking about?
>>
>>36498100
Learning Dutch atm m80, I moved to the Netherlands in August
>>
I'm going to start trying to dress well again. I've been so bent on comfort for the past six years that I haven't worn jeans once in that time apart from very special occasions. Went shopping for a wedding I had to attend in another country where I meet other parts of my family for the first time and realized that dressing well feels pretty damn good
>>
File: Untitled1.png (96 KB, 672x1546) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.png
96 KB, 672x1546
>>
>>36498100
So I had a bit of a freestyle routine until I started reading the sticky and so I decided to start doing SS (I have no place to do chin ups /pull ups dips since I have a home gym) and I was wondering if it was ok to add exercises to the program
>>
>>36499485
Yeah, that's what accessories are
>>
I'm teaching myself how to play the ukulele
>>
Using Lingua Latina per se illustrata to (re)learn Latin.
Also using Cronometer to properly track my daily nutrition.

>>36498587
Dutchfag here.
How do you like the Netherlands so far?
How's the learning going?
>>
Taking a Coursera course
Returned to the gym after a 2 week absence.
Reading a chapter of Blood Meridian a day.
>>
File: 1457572221693.jpg (39 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1457572221693.jpg
39 KB, 500x442
>>
>>36499401
Based
>>
>might aswell ask here

so Im got some days off for holidays and before leaving, this girl at the office and me made plans for having good action on monday, so I need some /fit/ approved hobbies to keep me away from fapping and preferably away from the computer, what does /fit/ on a typical day besides lifting?
>>
>>36498100
If thats your list OP, you should find a good book on NLP.
>>
File: 1453764115370.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1453764115370.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
>>36499665
oh shit are you me

oh, you're not. i am just american but i'm reading lingua latina too, and i use cronometer since february.

i'm just learning latin for the first time..i'm pretty slow. unfortunately i got depression and ADHD so studying is fucking slow. however i'm trying to improve that, earlier this week i saw a therapist so i can get adderall.

any other resources you use for learning latin? any websites or youtube videos?

in addition to latin, i'm also learning japanese. i do anki everyday and study kanji. trying to learn about particles but it's hard.
>>
File: Laurie Segall reddit.jpg (73 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Laurie Segall reddit.jpg
73 KB, 600x800
>>36498100
redpill, desu
>>
>>36498100
I can't improve outside of fitness unless I make a change about how I view myself compared to others desu.

If I view myself as worthless garbage nothing I can do will change that.
>>
>>36502121

nah
>>
>>36502056

not really my list, just recommendations. i tried out social engineering and didnt like it, so swapped it out for no more mr nice guy and this one doesnt sound like ill get much out of it either.

what exactly is NLP and are you being sarcastic?
>>
>>36502083
>learning a literal dead memelanguage
>""learning"" japanese when you're only up to particles, the literal first step

what the literal shit?
>>
>>36502056
like what?
>>
>>36502648
I'm not the guy you're replying to.
Learning any language has mental benefits even if it's not a useful language. And Latin provides a great base for learning other European languages and makes them very easy to understand.
>>
>>36502748
If by other European languages you mean Romance languages, maybe, it sure as fuck won't help you learn anything Germanic or Slavic.
>>
>>36498100
Reading and language learning mostly. I took 4 years of German in high school and I do my best to keep up with and maybe even >improve
I also started learning Portuguese and Esperanto. I've got a fucking stack of books to start reading once summer comes.
>>
>>36502759
It makes romance languages downright easy due to the vocabulary overlap, but it's still similar enough to Germanic, Nordic and Slavic languages to make learning them easier than if you didn't already know Latin.
>>
>>36502764
Don't learn Esperanto, its useless as fuck. Plus if you learn a real language you'll have the vast culture of that nation and a chance to visit it as a speaking foreigner, its great.
>>
1. Working on my master's degree.
2. Improving my Spanish.
3. Learning magic (as in illusion, not occult rituals). Most of my tricks involve gross shit like pulling a thread out of my eye. I want to buy some hissing cockroaches that I can conjure up the way some magicians conjure doves.
4. Working on memory techniques like a mnemonic peg system and the method of loci.
5. Working my way through The Charisma Myth.
6. Trying to keep in mind that the neurotic, insecure thoughts I have (mostly centered around the idea that I have to impress everyone constantly or all my friends and family will abandon me) are irrational, and think my way through them to avoid the spiral of depression. Doing better and better at it.

r8 me /fit/
>>
>>36498100
i just got 2666 with this months credit

i think its a little to much for me. or its not suited for a audio book.... need time to soak in it/ponder, but guy keeps talking so you cant...

either way i dont think i'm getting the most out of it
>>
>>36502776
Can you provide an example on this? I speak English and German, I fail to see how Modern Latin can help you on a noteworthy level to make it worthwhile to learn, from what I know the only thing it will have in common in gender nouns and stress in pronunciation.
>>
>>36498100
I love learning new languages, both for humans and computers. I'm taking up Perl and Prolog, even though neither of those languages are used at work (we mostly use .NET languages). I also recently started a book on Middle Kingdom Egyptian, which surprisingly is not at all hard in some of the ways people expect it to be, aside from not having any mummies to talk to. It makes English look consistent and regular though.
>>
>>36502781
Well like I said, I'm already somewhere around B1 in German and I started learning Portuguese. I'm not particularly interested in being an Esperantist, I just think it's interesting to learn and it's supposed to be learnable in ~1/10 the time of other European languages. I'm just dabbling in it for giggles because I like languages.
>>
>>36502802
I am depressed and want to try new things to help cope. Sounds like you have some good ideas. Any advice or suggestions?
>>
>>36502812
Vocabulary is not the only aspect of learning a language. Latin is still far more similar in structure and grammar to Germanic languages than, say, Japanese. Just because it's not the ancestral root of the family doesn't make it irrelevant. If you really wanted to dig back, they're still connected through proto-Indoeuropean. Even Hindi has some vocabulary roots in common with English due to PIE (jealous in some Indian language is pronounce like "jale" or "jele", I only know this from Lagaan), but I digress. Learning a language after your native one is difficult and is a learnable skill. Latin is not necessarily the most optimum language to make learning successive ones easier, but if you've already learned one language, you have a deeper understanding of the structures of language and the third one is easier, and if you can become fluent in 3 languages, everything after that is basically cake.
>>
How do you get audible credits?

I'm gonna do the free 3 month trial in the summer for the gains

Currently reading total recall by Annie 100% recommend for life motivation
>>
>>36502919
yes
>>
femanon

>bought a planner to write shit in because I am bad at remembering dates, and also its fun to decorate
>got help for anxiety in the beginning of the semester and improved my grades 10x
>started doing yoga at home to help relax

things are bretty good brehs
>>
>>36503264
????
>femanon
It wasn't necessary
>>
>>36502042
learn to draw
>>
>>36502759
it helps with any inflected language since case and declension are no longer new ideas
>>
>>36503287
apologies

had written more at the top, but greentext'd and thought i deleted it
>>
>>36503335
bost body if u're really sorry :DDD
>>
I finally made an art exhibition. Sold for 19 500 the first weekend :)
>>
I've been polishing up on my web design with a view to quitting my office job and doing it from home full-time.
>>
>>36502849
dont be depressed it sucks
>>
>>36499401
I remember that post
The guy had only read like 5 of them -so can anyone else vouch for them?
>>
>>36504527
thanks i wish i would have thought of that :^)
>>
>>36498100
i gave up videogames and alcohol. Gonna start reading books again.
>>
Im wondering
Whats the difference between social engineering and seduction? they are both manipulative skills (from a male standpoint)
>>
>>36498100
I bettered myself by recognizing my personality flaws and working hard at correcting them. Now I'm a passably functional human being despite being borderline.

Right now I'm working on basic household skills that I sadly failed to learn.

Also getting back into my art.
>>
File: 1457936120929.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1457936120929.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
>>36498100
I think a lot of people could benefit from that soft skills book.

Especially on /fit/, me included.
>>
>>36504589
The difference is intent mostly. What are you trying to get from the potential relationship? All relationship skills are manipulative IMO. What makes them good, bad, or otherwise is
-the original intent and how it's carried out.
-the recipient's perception of those
-3rd party perception of those
>>
>>36502083
I was planning to buy Harry Potter in Latin. I liked the Harry Potter books and remember a lot so I'm actually looking forward to reading it in Latin.
Also I listen to music in Latin. Look up the song 'Gaudete' if you don't know it. Erasure did a good modern version of it.
Basically I'm only reading and listening to stuff I'm actually interested in, so learning Latin is actually fun instead of feeling like a chore.

Sorry to hear about your depression, btw. I was depressed for several years when I was a teenager. I was miserable but I'm very happy now, so hang in there.
>>
What body language books would you recommend, /fit/?
>>
>>36505302
Honestly you aren't going to get much from a book because there isn't much to get. As painfully odd as it may be just record yourself doing things and re watch. It could be walking across the room to fill a cup of water, but you can still get that 3rd person perspective.
>>
>>36505263
So i got one more question i guess
I want a gf/get laid and i want her to think its what she wants, social engineering right?
Im guessing this since its highly manipulative and i dont want her to find out about it
I dont want to cause harm but since i want her to do something she doesnt want to i guess its...bad?
anyway, help would be appreciated so i know which book to get
>>
>>36499604
Has it been hard?
>>
File: gtd-workflow[1].gif (25 KB, 412x470) Image search: [Google]
gtd-workflow[1].gif
25 KB, 412x470
anybody /gtd/ here?

I'm looking for some tips with planning.
>>
My ex dumped my ass since I got complacent and stopped being fun and enjoying life. Ended up making her take out all her frustration on me.
Just got another girl who has a lot more in common with me, is sexier,and all arpund easier to get along with, but I've realized j can't base my self worth on others but it comes from within or something like that.
Rereading the book of pook and while it focuses a bit too much on the girl angle, that book is why I felt so confident in myself before I let it die.
Only regret is I didn't end the relationship myself.
>>
>>36502849
See a therapist if you can afford it. If not, read Epictetus and pretend he's saying "cognitive therapy" instead of "Stoicism."

Beyond that, do cardio. I don't care if you think it'll kill your gains. Runner's high is fucking amazing.

Do things you find physically comforting that are not bad for your health. Meaning take long baths, carry your blanket around the house with you for comfort. Whatever. Make yourself happy. Once you can establish even a base level of positive attitude, you'll realize that people you tried to rely on to make you happy can't do that for you, but they can add an awful lot to your life once you take responsibility for yourself.

When you feel a bit happier, even a little, find someone who does something you think is fucking awesome, and begin the process of that, just as a hobby.
>>
File: gains.jpg (130 KB, 1492x571) Image search: [Google]
gains.jpg
130 KB, 1492x571
>>36498100
>>
>>36505910
>DesCarte quote
>>
>>36503287
so she doesn't get called faggot for doing yoga?
>>
>>36505470
First off if you get a gf she wants laid (even if it isn't on your timetable).
Second, how old are you?
The harm is when expectations aren't met by either person. It's good that you don't want to harm her so learn to manage expectations, yours and hers.
So you want to learn to seduce. While sex is the end goal don't make it the immediate end goal. Does that make sense to you?
It's like the Patriots in American Football, you can't win the Super Bowl unless you win the game in front of you. Win or lose there are lessons to be learned and applied for what can be done better. Learning, Preparation and practicing is what does that.

Let's say she doesn't want sex but you're both making out a lot. Learn to escalate...feel her up. Hands under clothes. Frottage. And learn to de-escalate. Tease. Pull away. Stop completely. Leave.

Books are good for giving you ideas and learning. The most important thing about books is APPLYING what you learned from them. That means taking action, practice and patience.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>36505734
Been there anon. Sounds like you got the better deal in the end, try not to regret the old one
>>
>>36503264
>diary
>anxiety
>yoga
You hardly needed to tell us your gender
>>
>Writing my bachelor project (50 page project on real option valuations in the petro industry)
Any recommendations on how to reduce procrastination?
>Learning Spanish for fun
Fluent in Danish/German/English
>Reading books not related to economy in any way, almost finished with Command And Control
>Going to a bunch of events to socialize and expand on my network within the finance world

Any suggestions? I have a few extra hours left over per week if I started to optimize my days a bit more.
>>
>>36504541
I've read most of the power/mindset/strategy books and only a few of social skills (no seduction books) and a few psychology.

It's definitely a good list, but I would add things like Capital in the 21st Century and The Wealth of Nations, keep in mind that I work in the finance/private equity industry so these have some influence. I would add 3-4 books that are considered the core of your industry to understand what the original intend was, but that's just my personal opinion.
>>
File: FA942F951.jpg (50 KB, 560x682) Image search: [Google]
FA942F951.jpg
50 KB, 560x682
>not taking the iron pill
>not reading Pook
I think you will never get beautiful women
>>
Planning on running a marathon in two months. Currently running 5k 3 times a week. Registered for marathon so no backing out.

Gonna make a blog detailing my daily training later tonight, will post here if anyone's interested
>>
I talk to at least 5 people, EVERY DAY
Was awkward at first, but now it's no problem
>>
>>36504619
Anna?
>>
>>36505639
what is gtd
>>
>using sightreadingfactory to practice piano daily
>working new songs in to my live acoustic set weekly (i play at a bar, nice side cash)
>practicing 3d modeling (my career of choice, though i suck at it right now)
>saving my monies by not drinking
>meditating

honestly i used to be into the self-improvement schtick but then i found meditation and now most of that shit just feels empty and meaningless. i get the ideal that they're all striving for but they're seeking it in material ways when the end goal (happiness) is not to be found there. try reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shinryu Suzuki, and read stuff on the Actual Freedom Trust (actualfreedom.com.au) as well.
>>
>>36507126
Which marathon? I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon this October.
And yeah, you should definitely post that blog
>>
>>36507242
Ottawa's Scotia Bank marathon

Will make blog tonight then
>>
File: brahahaha.png (24 KB, 94x111) Image search: [Google]
brahahaha.png
24 KB, 94x111
>>36505302
Learn in vivo friend. If you have a mall or shopping center, you could try and find a bench, have a drink with you and just chill. See all the different interactions, unless you've got social anxiety. Then you could probably watch some videos on the youtube with the same effect.
>>36507173
Good job anon. The real test will come about when you have the chance to meet new people rather than sticking around the people you already know. Baby steps.
>>36504586
Share some book love in case any one else is wanting to read, especially since you said "again."
>>
Sold my PC to fix gaming addiction

I'm suffering some real bad withdrawal issues right now
Spent all last night just staring into the wall and biting nails
Hopefully it passes soon
>>
I'm almost a year into self-improvement, which mostly involved /fit/ taking me from 50p overweight to noob gains. The net result is that somebody hit on me, for the first time in my life, yesterday. He was a gay dude. Kill me. Just fucking kill me already.
>>
>>36507317
The platoon of pussy will head your way soon enough m9. Just keep working.
>>
>>36502802
What's your masters on? Or rather, what's the title of your masters thesis?
>>
>>36507455
Thanks. It's Zyzz's anniversary or something so there's really no excuse for not going 200% today.
>>
>>36505639
Been doing it roughly for over 2 years. What would you like to know?
>>
>>36507308
Been where you are dude. It gets way the fuck better when you're past it. It's like being a reborn.
>>
File: tumblr_nk73z3t5xb1slitoto2_400.jpg (38 KB, 373x373) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nk73z3t5xb1slitoto2_400.jpg
38 KB, 373x373
I am cutting using intermittent fasting/caloric restriction and I'm finally making some decent strides and I might actually be 12% bodyfat in time for summer for the first time of my life which is awesome.

I've gotten sick of reading because reading really is pointless up to a certain point. I think that people don't give themselves enough credit people already have a bunch of imbued knowledge but don't apply it because they need to look to a "guru". Of course not everyone is going to know all the secrets of the world itself without looking to outwards sources of information.

Reading is just a bullshit way of thinking that you are solving a problem but really you just riding around in circles.
>>
>>36498100
>emily goldstein
lol
>>
>>36508417
Are you retarded?
>>
>>36508417
Are you reading both fiction and non fiction books? If all you read is self help and philosophy books one after the other you won't accomplish shit.
>>
>>36506124
>First off if you get a gf she wants laid (even if it isn't on your timetable).
>Second, how old are you?
Ive had a gf before and im...not really sure about the first thing. she was very specific about me "not getting what i wanted" when i made a move om her while we were together
second im 28
>>36506124
>Does that make sense to you?
Yes, it does
Im totally down with the idea that its a long and hard road i must travel with incremental steps i need to overcome to get what i want
Now i must find a book to learn the theory and then i can practice
Thanks man, it did help alot
>>
I've been trying to really push my limits lately with off-topic posting on scanglodoshian quelt skintering imageboards. I feel like it's a good use of my time.
>>
>>36507200
'Getting Things Done' by David Allen.

>>36508030
Not sure if you're still here but let's try anyway.

-I'm having trouble planning my studying. I have a lot of academic text to read and I'm never really sure how long one text will take me. This makes creating a strict planning kind of hard.

- I'm also feel like I'm having trouble definining my 'projects' in the right way. I'm fixing up my house, buying nice lamps, hiding wires etc. Should every little thing be it's own project or is it best to make it a list.

-Most importantly, what is a good android app to use for this? I'm using google calendar and google tasks. I looked at Toodledo but all the options etc made it kind of overwelming. Do you know a good app, which fits with the method?

tl;dr I loved the book and like the ideas in that method but I'm having trouble implementing it in my own life.
>>
>>36507535
Anthropology. No title yet. Probably going to be about modern-day segregation in housing in the US, what causes it, what its consequences are, things that challenge it, etc.

(Once I'm out on my own, though, I think I might try to do an ethnographic study of a pro wrestling promotion, especially if I can get my Spanish up to a level where it's feasible to go to Mexico and study some lucha libre organization.)
>>
File: 1451757728218.jpg (944 KB, 1345x1450) Image search: [Google]
1451757728218.jpg
944 KB, 1345x1450
>>36498100
Other than working out and eating enough I just can't be consistant with anything. That's a huge problem
>>
Any book recommendations for managing a creative team? I read Creativity, Inc. recently and that was huge. I'd like to keep moving forward in that vein.
>>
File: 1457164017832.jpg (37 KB, 519x500) Image search: [Google]
1457164017832.jpg
37 KB, 519x500
>>36498100
We are all going to make it brah
>>
I have depression and I try to work on it.
Also try to work on my employment skills in order to get a nice job as a sysadmin helper in college.
I think, if I have no money problems, theb I can afford a healthier diet.

Also, how do I stop thinking I am a third leg for everyone and anyone, including myself?
I really want to respond to all these signals from women I am getting, but I am too scared of getting to know them.
>>
>self-improvement books

So basically how to be a pleb and an autist at the same time?
>>
>>36510246
ebin
>>
>>36505302
Fuck these other people. Read What Every Body Is Saying. An ex FBI interrogator has dome basic tips. Comes with a boat load of pics. I think its top 5 in amazon for that category.
>>
>>36498100
Does anyone have any good audio books in this area?
I keep finding abridged versions with missing chapters, or bad narrators. I need something to listen to while I work and I haven't found any new podcasts recently.
>>
How do I focus on reading a fucking book? Why is this shit so hard
>>
I'm in therapy to deal with my anxieties and early childhood trauma.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/artofmanliness/184-using-behavioral-psychology-for-a-rich-life
https://soundcloud.com/artofmanliness/184-using-behavioral-psychology-for-a-rich-life

just listening to this atm, the entire podcast set is pretty good. get into it
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.