[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Tai-chi count as exercise? I started doing it a few months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: tai-chi-vertou.jpg (64 KB, 275x295) Image search: [Google]
tai-chi-vertou.jpg
64 KB, 275x295
Does Tai-chi count as exercise?

I started doing it a few months ago, and I love it.
>>
>>36488349
no and neither is Yoga. Tai Chi is Yin, exercise is Yang. If you don't understand this just go be fat somewhere else
>>
>>36488404
is everyone on /fit/ such a dick?
>>
>>36488414
no some of us are pussies (hint)
>>
>>36488414
Yes. -_-;; It's hard not to give up on trying to post actual motivational advice. In like 2010, 2011 in the heyday of Tinytrip, Zyz, Scooby, it was much better, now it's gotten a lot... shittier.
>>
>>36488487
Fuck out here with the smileys faggot
>>
>>36488487
>>36488487
he asked a specific question to which I gave a specific answer. I then offered advice. Youtube is full of advice given by professionals and champions and trainers of champions but OP came to 4chan. Don't complain about the food when you eat at McDonalds.
>>
>>36488404
if you're moving then it's yang, not moving is yin.

Although relative to each other, lifting to yang and tai chi is yin.

The tai chi you'll take at the gym or college isn't a martial art anymore, it's more akin to yoga but less intense. I find it good for mobility and recovery.

Yoga is definitely exercise though.
>>
>>36488545
jacking off is also exercise if you do it long enough. Yin is soft and Yang is hard. Real exercise is hard. You do shit like tai chi and yoga to balance out all the hard stuff you do. Tai chi is a shit martial art anyways. Its the martial art that lazy people do because they aren't up for a real challenge, like Aikido.
>>
File: 1449592312019.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1449592312019.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>36488596
>a real challenge
>like Aikido

The challenge is getting aikido to work
>>
>>36488744
I meant Tai Chi is like Aikido.. I knew one of you detectives would have caught me. Excellent response though. True Story, I worked at a stone yard and all my coworkers new I did martial arts because I was always working out at work. This fat guy came in and some how found out that I did martial arts and started chatting me up a bit. When I asked what he does he says "Aikido"...."but mainly only tea ceremony stuff". There are people in Aikido that are so lazy they don't even do Aikido
>>
>>36488744
he is saying aikido is not a real challenge you fucking retard
>>
Thanks to the one poster that answered like a grown up.
>>
>>36489303
Where do you think you are
>>
>>36488349
Isn't this what those Chinks do every morning at the park? Those fucks live to be like 108 not stuffs
>>
File: aikido2.jpg (32 KB, 395x366) Image search: [Google]
aikido2.jpg
32 KB, 395x366
>>36488744
I believe you shouldn't underestimate Aikido. Now I know you may be thinking, "Why take a weakling martial art like Aikido seriously when I am learning Boxing?" I can see why you would think that, how can a peaceful martial arts like Aikido beat a powerful one like Boxing?

Well, I have a story to share with you.

Years ago, I was a Boxer, I thought I was the toughest kid in high school, I would pick fights, and kick ass. I was full of hate, until I picked a fight with the wrong dude. He was a Japanese exchange student, I still remember his name, Noboru Takeda.

I picked on him because of his hilarious and thick Japanese accent. I told him I was going to beat him so hard, he would go back to China(Yeah, I was a little racist prick.), he never said anything back, made me wanted to kick his ass even harder.

Well, here comes the fight. I threw jabs and hooks, he dodged them like I was a mere boxerciser. I was tiring out and he knew, I saw the smirk on his face that made me raged hard. I put all my strength in one amazing haymaker, and he grabbed past it to my wrist and threw me over. My back smacked on the hard cement ground, and I was knocked out for who knows how long.

When I woke up I was in the school infirmary, I asked the nurse who brought me here, and you guessed it, Noboru Takeda. The next day, he wasn't at school, he was back in Japan, and I never got to thank him, for saving my life and showing me the light. I soon learned that he was an Aikidoka and have been practicing Aikido ever since to show my thanks to him.
>>
I did it for awhile... at one point I thought I unlocked the ability to channel a dragon to do my bidding.
I quit after that... but holy shit my CHI was pure godmode unlock that day. Felt great, and scary.
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>36488349
Hahaha Tai-chi
>>
>>36488527
OP came to 4chan. Don't complain about the food when you eat at McDonalds.

Most accurate description for 4chan I've ever seen.
>>
>>36490587
Reddit XD XD
>>
>>36490800
i've never seen this pasta before
>>
>>36488349
Yes, In fact, if you do it correctly, it's an extremely taxing exercise for the CNS and intramuscular coordination. You will need to program it into your weighlifting stuff or you will overtrain rather quickly.

>>36488404
Yoga is simply primitive gymnastics that Indian nationalists stole from the Germans, Brits and Swedes because they were butthurt they had no traditional physical training regime themselves (Except for club swinging, jumping, breathing exercises and rolling push ups, but those weren't cool enough for the 9th century Pajeet). They stole the exercises, gave them Indian-sounding names and bam! Hatha Yoga was born.

It's actually quite nice if you want a glimpse at how gymnastics were done before they became a reglemented Olympic sport.
>>
>>36490800

Goddamn I hope this story is true.
>>
>>36490800
>I got my ass kicked by a Jap
Thx for the giggle, m8.
>>
File: 1447369279149.jpg (153 KB, 933x795) Image search: [Google]
1447369279149.jpg
153 KB, 933x795
>>36491654
you're a bad troll, go back to your bridge
>>
>>36488744
Aikido works as long as the opponent know the proper stance and grab to perform.
>>
>>36488349
I do qi gong and shaolin kung fu.

For me it's not only exercise, it's fucking power. All I have to do is let go of myself, breathe slowly, imagine the universe is waving like an ocean and dragging me along. Doing things with my body I never thought possible, breaking PRs every single fucking session, getting stronger so fucking quickly.

Still got a lot of work to do, I got into it because of chronic fatigue, before that I was pretty /fit/. But this... this shit is a whole different game. I had pretty good lifts (130kg deadlift, 95kg bench, 15kg weighted pullups, not glorious but over average) but I never felt strong. I could lift heavy things, and at that moment I felt strong, but with qigong and kung fu, it feels like my whole body is glowing with power all fucking day, like it just wants to lift off the fucking floor.

The more and more I let go and just breathe as slowly and controllably as I can while doing all these exercises and movements, the stronger I become in all my life, physically and mentally

10/10 would recommend.
>>
OP, where do you do it?
That tai chi on YouTube sucks. I need resources.
>>
>>36492572
You, too. What's the diff between qi gong and tai chi and where could I get some free resources?
>>
File: 1451913572520.jpg (83 KB, 694x530) Image search: [Google]
1451913572520.jpg
83 KB, 694x530
>>36492543
so basically it works as long as your opponent cooperates...
>>
>>36488349
>Does Tai-chi counts as exercise?
No, unless you're a +60 yo chink
>>36491654
>Yes, In fact, if you do it correctly, it's an extremely taxing exercise for the CNS and intramuscular coordination
Ahahahhaha
>You will need to program it into your weighlifting stuff or you will overtrain rather quickly
ahahahahahaahahahah
>>
>>36492572
what type of qi gong do you do anon? Does shaolin have it's own techniques?

>>36492985
it's like rectangle and square a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square.
The original Tai chi system incorporated martial arts, qi gong, and other stuff. I would say even the "fitness" tai chi that is prevalent in the west has qigong elements.
>>
>>36491654
What would j google to know more about the theft of yoga
>>
>>36492985
Different movements, different "philosophy", different purpose. Tai chi is based on original qi gong, but Shaolin qi gong is something entirely different. If you don't know either they will seem like the same thing pretty much.

There are tons of videos on youtube on how to do it, even the Shaolin temple masters themselves make them and put them on youtube. (look up Shi De Yang, he makes awesome shit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sqz-LHB64).

Unfortunately, most forums and websites are filled with ABSOLUTE fucking new-age shit, idiots who like to call themselves "master" and pseudo-science faggots. You WILL have to get an instructor who can show you how to do all this shit safely or you will probably injure yourself in some way, damage your spine over time from bad technique, etc.

>>36493043
Yes, I do shaolin ba duan jin and shaolin yi jin yang, every morning except Saturday. Shaolin qi gong has partial or full kung fu forms (like horse stance, which can be a real bitch at first), stretching and bending (99% of people won't be able to do them at first, it took me months)
>>
>>36493170
Thanks. That video you posted is a good place to start, then?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.