[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /fit/ care about mental gains?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14
File: 1458570501156.jpg (569 KB, 1324x1101) Image search: [Google]
1458570501156.jpg
569 KB, 1324x1101
What books do fitizens read for mental gains? Are Fronk's recommendations any good?

My mental demons are growing weaker and my cage stronger. Let's all provide each other with the nourishment required to feed this succulent little manifestations of our minds. Only then will I find motivation to encase my manic lust for knowledge and focus once again on leaving humanity behind.
>>
File: 1422734070014.jpg (885 KB, 1763x2034) Image search: [Google]
1422734070014.jpg
885 KB, 1763x2034
>>36484625
> My mental demons are growing weaker and my cage stronger
Its /v/ wanders into /fit/ episode
>>
File: 1408753448211.jpg (2 MB, 1324x1101) Image search: [Google]
1408753448211.jpg
2 MB, 1324x1101
>>36484625
>>
>>36484625
Read the slight edge. First self help book that really lead me to results. It's repetitive as fuck but just read like the first 3 chapters and you'll see what I mean. It makes the mundane so much more exciting
>>
>blames self for world

KEK
>>
Just try shrooms once for the mental gains and never touch them again, you'll understand once youve tried
>>
>>36484870
I can confirm
>>
I think I'm yellow. I feel like I'm entitled and know everything. I just can't get my shit together with that.
>>
what does mr.yang recommend?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-13-23-39.png (142 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-13-23-39.png
142 KB, 720x1280
>>36484625
>Fronk's suggestion
Lmao no. Stick to textbooks lads.
>>
File: Nietzsche-274x300.jpg (26 KB, 274x300) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche-274x300.jpg
26 KB, 274x300
Nietzsche remains the eminent philosopher.
>>
STEM textbook 5*5

EVERY SINGLE DAY
>>
>>36484930
What does he have to do with this?
>>
>>36484870
although if you don't have a bad trip you're gonna probably want to do them again
>>
The power of now by Eckhart tolle
Just read it, worth it if you're ready
>>
Stoicism, Buddhism and Doaism
>Realize the self is an illusion
>Internalize this through meditation and mantras. Indoctrinate yourself into actually believing it.
>Choose the ideal person you want to be. At as that person would act

Its really not hard to do, you just need to be consistent. 90% of life really is just showing up
>>
File: 1457164017832.jpg (37 KB, 519x500) Image search: [Google]
1457164017832.jpg
37 KB, 519x500
>>36485205
>90% if life is showing up

Pretty true anon.
>>
books are all right but i generally find that living and experiencing life racks up way more points
>>
>>36485480
some books are decent guides and tutorials but won't get you the XP breh
>>
tfw the world is more enjoyable to the naive
>>
>>36486235

tfw you reach a point in your endless thought loops where you eventually break and realize you have to be stupid in a way
>>
File: tumblr_m0qmfnSHHz1qam7epo1_500.png (32 KB, 500x181) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m0qmfnSHHz1qam7epo1_500.png
32 KB, 500x181
>>36485205
>>36485461
Yup, sadly true.

When I was a kiddo, I thought to myself, that "lie is the most powerful shit to manipulate people, so why not lie to myself?".

I started acting, just to test people reactions. I've said many thinks that I even didn't think were true and they belived. They reacted. I was learning, what kind of character is best, to have the best social gains.

Some time later - new environment, new people. I'm not much interested in most people now - you know how things go, many of them are really similar. They are just like walking stereotypes. Of course each of them has some unique things about them, but most of times those are not important details, like preffering other kind of foods. I'm probably some kind of stereotype to, but it's harder to define myself. I would guess that now from the outside I'm looking like some silent guy that really doesn't care much about life, but somehow everything is going according to his plan. When it comes to the inside, I'm really forgetting who am I. Probably my inside "me" looks like some mixture of autismo, loser and asshole that has some nice features about him, that make up for that other shit. Yet people don't know me after all. They think that I'm super confident, when actually I'm pretty shy. I'm afraid of giving presentations or giving speaks, but they think I'm really good at it.

To be contiuned.
>>
File: tumblr_mu4t8xarK31qbo867o1_500.jpg (29 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mu4t8xarK31qbo867o1_500.jpg
29 KB, 500x625
>>36486542
Part 2
I'm not sure who I am, what I want or even if I want anything after all. And I really don't care much for most of people. I'm hardly caring for people, that are close to me, but still somewhere deep inside there are thoughts that e. g. "parents care for you only, because you are their kid and if they could, they would reverse time and live other way, because kids are problematic" or "your friends are your friends not because they like you, but because they need you/they doesn't have anything better to do" or "girls lke you only because they cannot get better man, but still want to be kissed, cuddled and be fucked". I'm kinda good in bed, but I don't even get much pleasure from it because of that shit in my head. Most of times it's more like "i will do it, because it's expected from me and I don't want to deal with shit from that random girl".

Just like Punpun from pic related, I'm sometimes asking myself "is that how my face always looked like?". I don't recognize myself and it's hard for me to predict my actions. Like many young people nowadays, I guess I'm more afraid to live, then to die.

What's my conclusion? Life is about acting and it's goddamn sad thing, that is ruining my mind.
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 480x270
Currently reading Think and Grow Rich

>pro tip: Grow up, pull up your pants and handle what needs to be handled don't blame anyone, not even yourself, stop being a "victim"
>>
>>36484901
Spivak is beginner? Fucking hell XD.
>>
>>36486697
LEL HAHA BABBY'S FIRST ANALYSIS TEXT IS BEGINNER? WOW UNBELIEVABLE XDDD XXDDS Z DZD :DDDDDDDD
>>
>>36486542
>When I was a kiddo, I thought to myself, that "lie is the most powerful shit to manipulate people, so why not lie to myself?".

holy shit man i thought i was the only one
>>
>>36486577

a sad thing? no anon, it's a great fucking thing.

everything in your life is what you make it. every one of your lies is your truth.

but we don't talk about this.
>>
>>36486755
Well, you are on imageboard for autists, faggots, trap lovers and other real outcasts, whose train of thought doesn't fit into society. I guess it's most obvious place to find someone who thinks just like you.

I really think that there are many others that are like two of us.
>>
>>36486784
That kind of power is like money. It can give you much of joy, but not real hapiness.
>>
>When I was a kiddo, I thought to myself, that "lie is the most powerful shit to manipulate people, so why not lie to myself?".
not sure if autistic or devilish
>>
>>36486927

Hm, i disagree.

I got through a recent grapple with depression and existential dread (after a MAJOR lige changing injury, to boot) by teaching myself these things... and i made it through better than i ever have. I've dealt with these feelings for my entire life, but shit changed this time. I had to accept the fact that i have to create my truth myself, rather than wading for eternity inside of a void. I am happier than i have ever been in my life.

Does that mean i can't improve? Hell no. But finding something that makes me feel alive helped. A lot. Anything you love to do will contribute to your hapiness if you... you know, do it.
>>
>>36486936
Autism might be a misnomer for sociopath.

I mean the kind of autism that isn't actually autism btw.
>>
>>36486990
I respect your opinion, but it doesn't work same way for me.

I would lie if I would tell that I've never felt happiness from doing something. Of course I feel good when hitting that new pr. Of course I feel good when I do something nice connected to my other hobbies. Of course I feel good when I'm laughing with friends. But after all, it all feels so empty and fake.

Maybe at some point of live I will find something that will really contribute to my "real hapiness" thing, but I wouldn't be so sure about it. I would rather assume everyone feels some things differently.
>>
>>36486936
>>36486995

Porbably all of these. As a kid I was so edgy, that it makes me cringe sometimes. But at least it was attractive to girls, so it wasn't so bad after all.

Anyway, I loved to think that I'm better then some people and also loved to think that I'm some evil kind that isn't accepted by people. But fortunately I growed up out of it.
>>
>>36487141
It feels empty because beneath everything it means to you, it is. There's nothing there. Everything is transient and everything is meaningless.

Embrace it.
>>
Maybe it's because I wasn't raised religiously but I never felt like life had any inherent meaning. I've always been a pretty happy guy and make my own meaning in life. I like fitness, I like reading I like gaming and meeting people and socializing etc. There's a lot of like, or I think there is at least.

Why does the whole, "life has no meaning" thing drive people to despair? I'd like to hear it from one of you guys because it has never made sense.

I don't care why we're here or why I was born or where the planet came from or if there's a god or not or if there's an afterlife or not etc. I just wake up and have a good day then go to sleep.
>>
>>36487268
You answered yourself, somewhow. They do care why we're here or why they were born, where the planet came from or if there's or not etc.

People evolved in some kind of sick way, that they are no longer like animals - enjoying small things, not really thinking much about everything. I guess we weren't ready, as a species, to think that much about those things, to evolve this way. E.g. animals don't get autism or that kind of psychological disease.
>>
>>36487324
I guess that would be something that once it's turned on it would be hard to turn off. I've had trouble sleeping wondering if a girl like me or some shit. But I've never lost sleep over existential questions with no real answers.

And that's not to say I'm totally uneducated on the whole thing. I read a lot like I said, I took a couple philosophy electives in uni. I find discussing morality and stuff interesting, I just don't care why I'm here.
>>
>>36487268
Hm... I'm amazed that folks like you exist. I mean, understanding it all right from the start. I mean, kudos and whatnot.

The only way i can feally explain it is that it's a feeling. If you've never felt emptiness nag at your innermost trenches, then hey, yay for you? I mean, its just an extra something a lot of us have to work through to get where you are.
>>
>>36487398
>Feally explain it

Unintentional but kek
>>
>>36487398
Uh. Sometimes I feel like I wasted the day if I don't do anything moderately productive, sometimes if I go too long single I long for a relationship. That feels like a nag I guess, I don't think that's what you're talking about though.

Well It's nice you think so. Most of my friends seem to think I'm missing some key part of the human condition. Maybe they're right.

I've done hallucinogens and never had a bad trip. I've tried, I'm just not sure I have anything to freak out about the way they describe.
>>
>>36487268
The whole reason why we're alive is to further the human race, procreate, make our species thrive. Well that's the scientific part, with achieving this you end up with the fact that you now understand your own existence and you can now ask the question of why you are here? In the end it's all meaningless, you'll die, there is no changing that, you'll also experience a whole load of other emotions and feeling, everyone on this planet has their own unique story to tell no matter who it is and the way you shape your own story is only down to you. No matter what someone tells you, you are your own author.
>>
>>36487398
Not the other guy, but yeah, folks like us who don't really "feel" do exist. Don't get me wrong, if you jump out at me with a knife, I'll get scared, or show me a sad movie I might cry; we have feelings, they're just very transient and don't get remembered. As a result, we don't "recall feelings" except insofar as to remember it has happened, and consequently, we don't ever get "existential feelings" (that is, feelings without an apparent external cause)
>>
>>36484655
/thread
>>
File: 1436742697813.jpg (1019 KB, 1500x984) Image search: [Google]
1436742697813.jpg
1019 KB, 1500x984
>>
>>36484870
Make sure to be open for the experience and a confrontation with yourself. If this doesn't scare you shrooms could benefit your ability to see the 'bigger' picture.

If this thought frightens you, you probably are not ready yet.
>>
>>36487476
Not sure if it's just that time of year, but those feelings are easing up. Better yet, I haven't felt empty since i ifdentified it and let it take me as it willed. That was november or so... I never consciously worked through it before then. i always kinda just waited depressively and in agony for it to pass.

Nowadays i'm getting pretty good at expelling demons, so to speak, and normalizing.
>>
>>36487476
I don't think this is it. I definitely recall feelings. I still get sad about dogs that died years ago etc. I just don't really think it's important why I'm here.

To the best of my knowledge you're born you live for a while and then you die with nothing before or after. I'm fine with this, I'd like to live maximizing the happiness of both myself and the people around me.

I think it might be because I wasn't raised with any sort of religious influence. I was allowed to basically come to my own conclusions about things like that and my questions would be answered in a fairly neutral way if I had them.
>>
>>36486577
I hope one day you can live without trying to be something you're not and enjoy the feeling that comes with it.

The thing you might miss is a person you love (friend, family or so), to who you can be completely open without having the fear of being rejected.

If I could give advise I'd ask you to try and be completely honest and open to a friend, even if you think they might hate or ridicule you for it. Almost in every case the reactions are way less harsh than you'd imagine.

There is more to life than the things you describe. Just be open to change your perspective of life and life can be so much more as it appears to you atm.

Don't try to instantly change, but be open for change during the remaining years you have in your life.
>>
>>36487639
I didn't have a religious upbringing really either. My parents were reformed jews, but every tradition they followed was for... well, not exactly the religion itself. For my mom, a sense of belonging and routine. For my dad, it was his image.

But they did raise me on guilt and shame for virtuallt everything else, snd i think that was a major piece of what caused me to be at odds with being happy.
>>
File: book.png (96 KB, 672x1546) Image search: [Google]
book.png
96 KB, 672x1546
>>36484625
An anon posted this in a similar thread the other day. I also recommend Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.
>>
>>36487268
I was raised in a fundie Christian household that believes everything in the bible is true, And once I learned all that was shit, everything in my life got better. There was no pressure to adhere to any rules because this is Life. There are no rules, only rules we make for ourselves. Life has no Meaning, is a comforting thought to me because I don't HAVE to be a religious nut, and i'll be okay
>>
>>36484655
Did you draw that yourself? Mind if I save it?
>>
>>36487690
Yeah I noticed a lot of my ex catholic friends are still ridiculously guilty about every little thing. It's like they made beating up on themselves a competition.

>>36487762
Yeah I don't understand where people are coming from. If life had one right way to live it then I would be stressed as hell trying to make sure I wasn't fucking up I think. Maybe that sort of structure is comforting to some people though, I'm not here to judge, I was just curious.
>>
File: 1458132908006.jpg (11 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458132908006.jpg
11 KB, 400x400
>>36487754
Thanks baby
>>
>>36487832
I'm>>36487762
What I've figured is that, life isn't acting like the other guy, but that Everything you do and think is a self fulfilling prophesy. If you think like a fat fuck, you'll become one eventually. Life in general though, I said it earlier but I want to add to it. It's not that life has no meaning, It's that no one knows what that is, and that's the point. (Inb4 to reproduce) what I'm talking about is that if you look a smaller life form like algae or something. You could say that It wants to reproduce, and that animals that eat it use it's energy to survive or whatever, But perhaps the purpose of the algae is so I can demonstrate what I'm saying. Do rocks have meaning? To the plants they grow on, Or to a Geologist. I think the question of "does life have meaning" is really just people asking for purpose because they don't know what to do. Everything has meaning in some sense, you just need to ask the right questions to find it.
I don't know if any of that made sense or whatever, but It makes me much more mindful than before, and makes Life enjoyable and fulfilling, Hope it helps some of you bros too
>>
>>36487795
Save it, it's all yours my friend :)
>>
>>36488054
Thanks.
>>
File: um.jpg (122 KB, 300x311) Image search: [Google]
um.jpg
122 KB, 300x311
I started going to a local chapter of Toastmasters International to help with my public speaking abilities and shyness.

It's good for practicing leadership abilities and gaining a sense of ease in conversations with new people.
>>
File: Optimal Glory.png (2 MB, 759x1689) Image search: [Google]
Optimal Glory.png
2 MB, 759x1689
These gave me my motivation to lift, particularly Ride the Tiger and The way of men
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.