[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /fit/ think about bodyweight exercise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: bodyweight.jpg (81 KB, 650x960) Image search: [Google]
bodyweight.jpg
81 KB, 650x960
what does /fit/ think about bodyweight exercise?
>>
File: 1450912101685.jpg (319 KB, 1197x1600) Image search: [Google]
1450912101685.jpg
319 KB, 1197x1600
>>36477998
>>
>>36478006
cool it cowboy.

it's not like it's crossfit.
>>
>>36478130
It's just as much of a waste of time as crossfit is
>>
Just gonna throw this out there, I have been doing a 5x15 routine of push-ups, sit ups, pull ups and squats, amongst various forms of stretching and a minor jog just a few times a week and along with a semi healthy diet I've lost a bit of weight and hhave toned up considerably in just a couple months.
>>
>>36478170
The goal in mind for these is to get those who've never exercised befor a idea and motivation. Yea, things like "batman workout or "Netflix marathon work out" are corny as fuck but not everyone starts somewhere.
>>
Honestly BW is amazing as long as it's done properly, stuff like Overcoming Gravity or Foundation. But yeah, most people fall for gimmicky shit like this. Also, pullups and dips are god-tier, though you need extra weight eventually
>>
>>36477998
great for the first week, must add weights after that
>>
>>36479324
pistol skwaats too
>>
>>36478945
And those people are legit pathetic. No joke, no fedora shit. They are weak and disgusting.
>>
go to prison sometime, there are some people in there who are gigantic from pure bodyweight and no easy access to roids.
>>
>>36479549
And as such... what, should never try to improve? This is a society built on addiction to comfort and complacency from a very young age. People who realise they've grown weak shouldn't try to pull out of it?
>>
>>36479620
Of course they should try to improve, but do some research about it. THINK, use your fucking head, only retards and gullible 40+ year old women jump on gimmick shit.

When I decided to lose weight and lift shit. I did research and tried to get a comprehensible understanding of what I was going to do.
With the internet around you have no excuse to be a ignorant mong. Those people are the ones chasing the 'high' of change and posting 'motivational' quotes on their facebook without ever actually changing. Because they already got their good feels from deciding to make a change.
>>
I did a bodyweight routine for the first 1/2 months or so. I think it can be a suitable substitution for weights, of course not as good for hypertrophy but it can work.
The routine in the op looks like dogshit tho, and it has no progression.
You need progressive overload even with bodyweight (be it using weighted belts/changing the leverage etc.)
>>
>>36477998
The hell is supposed to be the point of this? This is one of those bullshit "it make you feel tired so it must be a good workout" routines isn't it?
>>
>>36479683
BTW you will never get a good and informed opinion here on /fit/, don't bother asking.
>>
>>36479651
I started with darebee gimicky corny stuff three months ago.
Then I moved onto something else, and then got a gym membership and am on SS.

Really, the darebee workouts are fun. They can give better habits.

They're also awful workouts, as there's no clear progression for them.
>>
>>36479766
>three months ago.
So you still have absolutely no idea what you are doing. When you actually make it you will cringe out of existence from how you started.
>>
>>36477998
Bodyweight works just as well as weights to a point before it becomes unviable unless you do a ridiculous amount of reps. Basically you tigger hypertrophy by down more reps than you did previously just like you would add more weight to the bar if you were using weight. There are two types of hypertrophy and if you're doing one, you're doing the other. Myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. The best benefit of doing body weight is that if you're mentally capable of enduring pain you can make insane progress without worrying about a huge weight collapsing on you. you have to also however, be consistent and train at least 4 times a week.
>>
>>36479904
>>36477998

also side note:
Don't do gimmicky bullshit like your pic related. Instead, go to scooby's website and pull a ful body workout from there.
>>
Literally worse than p90x.
>>
>>36479904
>Bodyweight works just as well as weights to a point before it becomes unviable unless you do a ridiculous amount of reps.
That is not how it works, idiot.

>>>/asp/1083806
>>
>>36480021
>what is progressive overload
>>
>>36480045
Something you can perfectly achieve with bodyweight?
>>
>>36480059
not him but yes you can achieve it with bodyweight. it's not as easy as with barbells but it's possible. (weighted belts, changing the leverage, using a bag full of sand etc.)
>>
>>36480059
>>36480021
>>36479324
>>36478945
All these fucking skellies.
>>
>>36480074
>>36480059
you can achieve hypertrophy by increasing reps baka senpai
>>
>>36480086
ok, but it will be useless when you get to like 40 effortless reps. you do have to progressively overload. for example the routine I was doing before going to the gym started at 4 reps x 3 sets for each exercise, and when I managed to reach 8 reps x 3 sets I had to chance variation to an harder one.
>>
>>36480165
And progressive overload is perfectly possible by changing leverage so your body is at more of a disadvantage.
>>
>>36480200
exactly
>>
>>36480200
No it isn't. How do you progress dips, inverted rows or pushups past a certain extent?
>>
>>36480352
One arm pushups, Russian dips, pseudo planche pushups, full planche pushups. It's possible, man.
>>
>>36480383
Anyone who benches bw should be able to do a one handed pushup. What about after that? Why waste years getting to that point when you can pick up weights and do it in a fraction of the time?
>>
>>36480402
I enjoy the skill work and some of it looks cool. I want to be able to do some cool shit. My balance is better than when I did weights, and I find it easier to build the strength u need without building too much mass (trying to stay in a specific weight class)
>>
>>36480352
Yes, it is. For pushups, you place your hands more towards your hips, very slowly work up to a planche. Inverted rows, you progress towards a lever. The thing is though that you have to change the exercises you're doing. There's not much of a point in doing pike pushups when you can do handstand pushups, for example. Also see
>>>/asp/1083806
Seriously check it out to see just how much is possible without weights.

>>36480402
>Anyone who benches bw should be able to do a one handed pushup.
Lifting weights gets your strength up quickly, for sure, but you need to practice skill as well. Especially one arm pushups are mostly skill work, just like pistol squats.

As for why, why not? The beginner stuff is extremely boring, but as soon as you're good at that, which admittedly takes a long time, you can start doing really cool things. Check the videos in the thread I linked to get some examples.
>>
>>36480352
You don't know much about this stuff don't you?
>>
good starting point for people who didn't lift a shit in their whole life
>>
>>36480613
Lol bro, I'm a former D-1 rugby player, have abs at 6'4" 240 lbs, worked as a bouncer, and I bench somewhere around 420 lbs. I grew up on base and boxed since I was 8. I've got the quickest hands I've ever seen in person from a non professional fighter, especially at my weight. If my gf wants to talk chit I'll let her do it to a point before pulling her away. If some guy gets in her face? I'm either gonna do the responsible thing and get the bouncer or pick him up and slam his phucking neck into the concrete.

What do you weigh... 190 lbs? Bench maybe 275 lbs? Lol. You have no idea what it's like walking around as big and as strong as someone like me. First of all, 95% of men walk in fear of you, and 95% of the other 5% of men are just retarded.

Literally the last 3 altercations I've been in with other males ended with me giving them one back hand slap and knocking them to the ground (I'm terrified of hitting most men and either killing them or putting them into a coma)

Any type of altercation, verbal etc. whether it involves girls I know or guys I know just mildly amuse me as I know I can step in and regulate the situation in a split second if things get serious.

Take your tiny, wanna be, hard pretend phaggot ass elsewhere pussy.
>>
>>36480402
Handstand push-ups.
>>
>>36480649
wew lad

cool the vents.
>>
>>36480649
You could have just said "no"
>>
>>36480835
>>36480837
>being this new
>>
File: azLmwZb_460sa_v1.gif (129 KB, 326x52) Image search: [Google]
azLmwZb_460sa_v1.gif
129 KB, 326x52
>>36480868
>>
I think it's a good starting point.

I also think they are extremely relevant if done with a weighted vest/backpack.

It's probably the best way to get all around balanced strength.
>>
>>36480649
this is some tasty pasta
>>
You'll NEVER get as strong with bodyweight routines as you will with just a decent barbell-only routine. That's the cold hard truth, and thus bodyweight is fucking bullshit for anything than maintenance when you can't go to the gym for whatever reason.

>tl;dr: bodyweight is for maintenance only
>>
File: 3.jpg (226 KB, 1126x1000) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
226 KB, 1126x1000
left pic 1 year of SS then various splits, very healthy diet, at 27y, 5'10, 175 lbs 2pl8 bench, 3pl8 squat

decided to end rigorous lifting schedule, because work and family and not enjoying as much anymore

after a ~year started with bodyweight, right pic is roughly the same weight. 60-100 HSPU every other day in sets of 10-15 for the last 6 months, depending how I feel that day, takes between 30-40 mins, no need to go to the gym. It is much more sustainable for me, keep in mind I'm an oldfag.
Easily looking better than most people in the office.

If you don't aim for fridge mode and mainly interested in aesthetics, bw is perfectly fine.
>>
>>36480649
post pics and we'll belive you
>>
>>36477998
Very good for the beginners.
>>
Chinups, pullups, and full body dips are god tier exercises

But basically all the rest of them, pushups, situps, bodyweight squats and lunges, and all the various ways of sitting on the floor and raising your legs into the air are, at best, only good for last resort maintenance when you absolutely cannot get to a gym.
>>
>>36480649
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>36478909
exact routine?
>>
>>36481164
not him but if you want a good bodyweight routine check this site out
http://www.startbodyweight.com/
>>
>>36481250
Thank you familia. I'm pretty new to this. I used to do some bodyweight exercises, before the accident.
>>
>>36479834
Nah, starting with martial arts at age 5 is an ok start.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.