[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Adding assistance work to Stronglifts 5×5? I recently started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: stronglifts-mehdi.jpg (19 KB, 208x193) Image search: [Google]
stronglifts-mehdi.jpg
19 KB, 208x193
>Adding assistance work to Stronglifts 5×5?

I recently started Stronglifts 5×5 as a novice. My goal is to add mass by getting stronger. I do not wish to do any isolation exercises, because hypertrophy is not for me. My plan is to move over to 3×5 ones my lift stall. I've considered adding assistance work like dips and pull-ups, but don't know when or if at all.

My concern about assistance work is the argument that more is not necessary better, because it might affect my lifts. Although I know that dips and pull-ups are the best exercises for upper body mass, and will make me stronger for body weight lifts.

My question is if I should add assistance work to Stronglifts 5×5? Should I wait until I become an intermediate, and go over to 3×5 which got less volum? Or should I start with it from the beginning as my goal is to add mass by getting stronger?
>>
>>36467318
If strength is your first priority and you do not care about your looks, don't do assistance work.
Just think about it, why would they benefit you, if you are lifting much smaller weight in comparison anyways? You may get stronger on said exercises, but I doubt there will be any significant strength gains, on you other lifts.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-21-12-45-54.png (331 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-21-12-45-54.png
331 KB, 1080x1920
>>36467318
This is ny program, slightly modified stronglifts 5x5.
>>
>>36467349
How is it working out for you? Does it affect your main lifts?
>>
>>36467349
That is not Stronglifts 5×5 tho.
>>
>>36467318
I'm doing it as well. Throw in dips and pull ups (full ROM) as assistance for extra upper body work.
>>
>>36467318
Get the App, it tells you when you should deload and what assistance exercise you can throw in. Also by reading you question, you clearly haven't read the SL wiki, which you should do (specifically about going to 3x5)
>>
>>36467533
I just got the app. Paid for it too. Didn't know it would tell you which assistance exercise to throw in? Have you any experience with that happening?
>>
>>36467561
It doesn't tell you specifically, it only limits to 3 assistance exercises.It all depends on your goal. I Threw in close grip bench press/paused bench press to increase my bench. I also threw in pull ups to work my lats to increase my OHP. Follow the 3 main lifts and if you want to build another aspect of your body.i.e. chest then add another lift, simple as that. In terms of strength the 5x5 routine works well own its own, assistance lifts are more for mass. Decide what you want and focus on it without wandering to do something else.
>>
File: Starting Strength advanced.png (110 KB, 875x824) Image search: [Google]
Starting Strength advanced.png
110 KB, 875x824
>>36467318
>>
>>36467626

That's not how the pull-ups and the OHP works. They work completely different muscles.

OHP = front/lateral delts, chest, upper traps, triceps
Pullups = lats, rear delts, lower traps, biceps
>>
>>36467748
when should you start doing this advanced version?
>>
File: 1420693806130.jpg (82 KB, 555x526) Image search: [Google]
1420693806130.jpg
82 KB, 555x526
>>36467318
>mehdi looks like THIS

holy fuck this is one of those moments when someone you thought was yuuge is actually really small

>those SS arms
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.