[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mom has rheumatoid arthritis. She has pain mostly in her back.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 17128.jpg (72 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
17128.jpg
72 KB, 400x320
My mom has rheumatoid arthritis. She has pain mostly in her back. She's 50 and overweight but not obese. Weightlifting is supposed to strengthen your bones and joints, right? Would it make sense to get her to start lifting? I was thinking that strengthening her body would help her out. I imagine losing weight would be helpful too, I've been trying to teach her calories in calories out for a couple years now.
>>
>>36456895
Losing weight should be her priority. Anything after that needs to be discussed with a health preofessional
>>
>>36456930
How do I convince her to count calories? She just jumps from fad diet to fad diet?
>>
>>36456963
you should convince her to clean her diet up then. It's fucking hard to eat an excess of calories if you're just eating chicken and broccoli.
>>
>>36456895
Rheumatoid is a tricky one anon. Basically it can't be cured or... helped, really. It's the body attacking itself.

There are currently medicines being developed to try and reduce/combat illness, but it's still a work in progress.

There is a highly effective drug that vets use on animals with arthritis and other bone growth conditions called Cartrophen, but it isn't safe for humans. Apparently it fucks with the liver, but word of mouth is some people have actually tried injecting it, and reported good results.
>>
>>36456963
Explain the principles of food and metabolism (carolies in, calories out). Make her CHANGE her diet, don't make her go ON a diet. An easy, sustainable and tasty diet is really not that hard to do, it's just that you have to get used to it.

You have to make her understand that her unhealthy weight is causing a lot of pain. She might feel no motivation to get in better shape, because her pain is most likely constant. My ex girl has fibromyalgia and she felt like the pain wouldn't end, so she wouldn't bother losing a few pounds.

When you explain to her that a few simple changes in her diet (i.e. no gluttony and unhealthy foods) will drop a few pounds quite easily, she might consider it. Though you have to make sure that she is consistent with her eating habits, otherwise she won't see any changes and be even less motivated.

Don't let her exercise, really, this will only make her pain worse, thus making her less motivated. Lose a few pounds first, then go talk to a professional.
>>
Just get her to remove all inflammatory foods from diet. Chances are she will barely feel the arthritis after a year then.
>>
Okay so clean eating and avoid inflammatory foods. I might be able to get that through her head.
>>
>>36456963
Make yourself an example if you really care
>>
>>36458485
I've been counting calories for a while. Went from 210 to 165 at my lightest. Still didn't convince her.
>>
Pharmacist here. Ask what medicines your mother is taking if you can, a lot of doctors do not have good knowledge of the best way to treat RA. It is progressive, and the best way to treat it is to hit hard. MTX should be at 20-25mg/week unless there are adverse effects at that dose preventing it from being that high. Sulfasalazine and Hydroxychloroquine sohuld also be titrated to the maximum dose tolerated. If her doctor isnt doing that, then hes allowing it to progress faster than it should.
>>
>>36458554
>pill cashier thinking he knows anything

You're literally a store clerk lol
>>
>>36456963
dont teach her the cal in cal out meme, will only give her reason to eat crap as long as it fits her cals

make her eat healthy and get her to exercise a bit, anything is fine really
>>
>>36456895
MSM
l-glycine
magnesium
>>
Get her megadosing fish oil (not liver oil, regular cod or krill oil, make sure to keep it in the fridge to slow oxidisation), get her involved with yoga and see if there are any cryotherapy clinics near you. As you know carbs/sugar causes inflamation so get her off bread and pasta and all that stuff that's made her rotund.

Liftin is cool and all but people are dumb. There are benefits to doing it right but potentially catastrophic and quality of life reducing consequences for a 50 year old woman if it goes wrong.

You want her to maintain bone density and mobility as she gets older so you want her working out but start it slow, this is an older sedentary woman we are talking about.

Good luck.
>>
Cochrane (the best evidence-collating organisation in medicine) says that strength and aerobic exercises improve both pain and physical function, and is unlikley to have bad side effects.
>>
>>36458667
Here's the evidence. http://www.cochrane.org/CD006853/MUSKEL_dynamic-exercise-programs-aerobic-capacity-andor-muscle-strength-training-in-patients-with-rheumatoid-arthritis

Obviously you'd have to take into account her age, capacity and pain. Oh, and any weight loss would probably do a lot of good. source: med student fag
>>
>>36458599

You are thinking of a pharmacist technician. Pharmacists have med degrees.
>>
Without finding the SPECIFIC Cause(s) of the pain you're wasting your time trying a bunch of therapies.

Depends on what's hurting her back. muscles, joints, ribs, ligaments, tendons.

But Try a flotation tank to figure it out.
or the joint capsules themselves are worn. In which case the only eexperimental solution is cash only injection of stem cells into certain joints.

But if its calcified. Often times it just needs to be secured and mobilized. Prolotherapy, and Prolozone Therapy have nice track records.

Weighted impact is good for bones, and general movement is good for clearing lymph and waste. Both reduce overall inflamation.
They also shift tissues around which is great.

Keep in mind her reduced recovery and metabolic rates.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.