[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5-htp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
Anybody have any good experiences with this stuff? Im looking for more mood support and trying to just be happier.
>>
see a doc get an ssri and go to cognitive behavioral therapy.
ssri will help in short term and the therapy can fix you.
>>
bump for interest
heard it was good to roll too
>>
File: post.jpg (134 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
post.jpg
134 KB, 1600x1600
I take two a day of Nature's Way 5-HTP. I don't know if its a placebo effect or my whole lifestyle change, but I have felt genuinely better throughout my day. The biggest change is that it doesn't ruin my day anymore when I get angry and frustrated, it's only a passing mood and I can focus on the better things.
>>
Iv taken 5htp before and Its barely has a noticeable mood boost but did give some very vivid dreams, its not really something that works long term maybe a week or two.

If you are on any ssri's already its not recommended to take together.
>>
>>36407019
>taking ssris
it's like you want to fuck up your brain for life
>>
I've taken them, didnt do anything for my mood. It just made my dreams weird as fuck and made me feel weird in general.

Would not recommend.
>>
>>36406998
I didn't care for it. I like St. Johns Wort thought
>>
>>36407154
How did that make you feel overall?
>>
>>36407159
Less brooding.
>>
Dunno, redline has it in the proprietary blend so i consume it in small doses. I will say that winter usually sucks hardcore for my mood, but i held my head above water pretty well this year. Could be correlated as i just rhen started drinking redline, but who knows? I was also doing a lot of writing and sorting out my thoughts
>>
>>36406998
It's not worth it at all. First of all the first week when you take it you will most likely feel more down. Second is that if you're suffering from depression, it's much more worth getting consulting from a doctor.

If you don't want to do that, just try changing your lifestyle a little. Like going outside more, getting some natural dopamine production increase.
>>
>>36407326
Get Vit D tablets
>>
>>36407326
this >>36407370
During the winter especially your vitamin D levels are going to tank and this has an effect on your testosterone levels, your mood, your immune system and many other functions going on inside your body. It is created in the body when we are exposed to sunlight but obviously in the winter months that is minimal. Supplement with 10,000 ui per day and you will feel better within a week. Personally I take it year round and when I stop taking it I notice a difference within a week.
>>
>>36407099
>lol 2016
>believing this
>>
>>36407729
plenty of studies support that ssris have many negative long term effects

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=negative+effects+of+ssris&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZgY2gwsXLAhXFhQ8KHUVNC9cQgQMIGzAA
>>
>>36407742
Ssri's are good when combined with therapy, but they are not good to be reliant on in the long term.
>>
>>36407795
speaking as someone who is bipolar and suffered from major depression all through my teens and early 20's, fuck SSRI's. You're better off avoiding them and just going into therapy whilst lifting/running and eating right. It's harder sure but lays a foundation for a much healthier life in the future. Relying on drugs to treat mental illness should be avoided at all costs unless absolutely necessary in my opinion.

I was put on lithium once the antipsychotics had done their job after a psychotic episode, my doctor wanted me to never come off but I decided I would and have been completely stable for 4 years medication free. I have to exercise every day, eat right, avoid drink and drugs but I don't have to take anything, this is what all mentally ill people should strive for. SSRI's are a crutch and they are a dangerous one.
>>
Terrible, but that's because of my autism. Conditions like autism, ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, have some root in 5-HT transmission and activity and 5-HTP generally only causes problems.

I started getting absolutely crazy moodswings that drove me to the edge of insanity.

If you want reliable mood elevation, here's a list of things you can try:

- Passionflower [relaxant]
- Chamomile [relaxant]
- CBD oil [relaxant]
- Meditation [relaxant + stimulant]
- GABA/L-Theanine combo (work out your dosage, there is a fine line between relaxation and sleepiness when taking these) [relaxant]
- Weed in edible form (only if you can use it without it fucking you up, differs per person, depends on discipline etc.) [relaxant + stimulant]
- Modafinil (no tolerance but it can make you dependent) [stimulant]

The trick to using any of these (except meditation) is NOT to rely on them for your happiness. You use them temporarily to give yourself a happier outlook, during which you can work on your life more easily, explore hobbies, etc. You use THAT to get yourself in a state where you become naturally happy. If you use these as a permanent crutch though, you will eventually develop tolerance, they will stop working, and cause more damage to you in the end.

The WORST AND BEST of these at the same time is weed. If you have the discipline to take it at set, infrequent times, it will benefit your life greatly. If you lose control, if you lose sight of what's important you can become mentally addicted and it can and will fuck you up.

5-HTP is too risky for most.
>>
>>36407839
Yes, of course. Being able to avoid them would be the best thing, but for some it really is necessary under a period if they think it's completely unbearable and can't even take the step into the right direction.

SSRI's are terrible in the fact that they don't fix your problem as you mentioned, they are merely a crutch. But if you manage to change your lifestyle with the help of the SSRI's it can definitely be worth it.

But how well the SSRI work on a person can vary greatly. So I wouldn't discard them as an option, since there have been great results when treating depression and anxiety with ssri's.
>>
>>36407969
Ashwaganda is another good one. Most recommended to people with anxiety though.
>>
>>36407742

> Links to a google search page and not a study
> None of the studies on the first page say anything particularly bad about ssri use

wow anon
>>
I only take it after I do molly.
>>
>>36409444
It does work?
>>
>>36407370

i already take a multivitamin and get enough vitamin d from food though?

+ winter's over breh
>>
>>36410623
The more Vit D the merrier.

And multivits have fuck all Vit D, you want at least 5000 IU on a daily.

They're cheap as shit as well, you can get 360 tablets for £10
>>
>>36410661
Negative sides? It can't be a free for all without consequences.
>>
>>36409778
I don't know if it's placebo or not but it seems to work for me and my friends. I go to music festivals every once in awhile which usually entail multiple days of camping. After a night of partying we usually make a cocktail of pre-workout, some vitamins, protein powder, and a 5 htp capsule. Even without the other stuff 5 htp makes me feel better.
>>
>>36412383
It can be bad for you if you take too much (like 50,000 IU)

Aside from that, the pills can be hard to swallow if you're dehydrated I guess
>>
File: 1327731506748.jpg (22 KB, 360x268) Image search: [Google]
1327731506748.jpg
22 KB, 360x268
>>36406998
i've taken it for a couple of years. been good for me. use it when i'm really stressed, and it helps me mellow out. i also use it to help me sleep - makes my dreams more lucid if i take it just before trying to fall to sleep. i use it occasionally. it's worth paying $15 to see what it does for you.
>>
>>36412482
What if one has a darker skin compared to the average whitey. I am southern italian so i guess i might need it even more since i live in a place with less sunlight compared to my homeland
>>
I heard you shouldn't take it it for more than a month or two, how do you cycle it?
>>
>>36412498
5000 IU should be safe no matter where you are, unless you spend everyday outside in the sahara or some shit.

The daily maximum amount reccomended is 10000 IU, and you should never go above 40000 IU.
>>
>>36412383
lowers estrogen
>>
>>36412600
This might either be bad or good i guess. Are all melanin enriched gentleman living in northern countries deficient by default in vitamin d? What does this lead to?
>>
>>36407159

I take it and honestly it's hard to tell a difference. I've been a little less depressed lately, but it's really hard to pin down whether it's St Johns Wort. One thing I do definitely notice is that it's so much easier to get sunburned.
>>
>>36406998
It's placebo/10 at worst.
The effects are entirely different from person to person and it can have a wide range of negative effects if taken and you don't need it.
As for some of the things others have posted, it does not work long it's better to be taken less than once a week as you build a tolerance to it like every mood stabilizer.
It will lower estrogen, but this is a side effect of not feeling stressed. Happy men have happy bodies and therefore more testosterone(in theory).
If you are trying to fix a bad mood, this is not for you. You need to change your diet/hobbies/lifestyle to feel better day to day. As rarely is a bad mood due to chemical imbalances like people believe, more than half the people who try to fix their moods with medications or supplements show negative gains.

Your doctor will be able to tell you if your body is not making enough of a certain substance relating to mood.
>>
>>36406998
i would suggest l-tryptophan. it converts to 5htp. that way you wont build up a tolerance.
>>
File: url.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>36406998
I was majorly depressed and then saw a naturopath. He put me on Tavacor, which has 5htp in it, but also all the stuff needed to turn it into serotonin. In 2 months I wasn't depressed as much, but I had enough will at that point to keep going and get some therapy. After 5 months I've never been happier in my life.
>>
struggled with bipolar/depression for years. began taking 5HTP and NAC when I woke up. Immediately felt a clear headedness I hadn't felt in a really long time. Motivated me to quit smoking, and that became a catalyst to see myself in a new light. Began waking up early and doing light exercises, been a couple months now and I don't take it daily but at least 3x a week. Would recomend
>>
>>36408004
>Ashwaganda

lol go away pajeet

POO IN LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.