[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PPL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: question.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
question.png
8 KB, 400x400
>Push:
>Bench press
>Incline bench
>Overhead press
>Dips
>Flyes

>Pull:
>Deadlift
>Pullups/Chinups
>Barbell row
>Curls

>Legs:
>Squats

wtf y'all do on leg day, /fit/?
>>
deadlifts.
>>
Calce raises and leg curls and lunges w/ kettlebells
>>
>>36344217
>falling for the deadlift is a pull meme
>>
>>36344256

Yeah bro you're not pulling the weight up to you, you're pushing the planet down with your legs.
>>
>>36344217
Give some no-homo footjobs to your gym buddies for gains
>>
>>36344217
>Linear Hack Squat machine
>Smith machine lunges
>Leg press
>Lying hamstring curl
>>
Back squats
Front squats
Lunges
Hip bridges
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Romanian deadlifts
Box jumps
Calf raises
>>
>>36344318
oh and calf raises but who cares
>>
>>36344217
Squats / Deads 5-6x3
RDLs / Front Squats 3x6-8
Maybe some tire flipping 1-2xF
Calves 3x5-6 / Calves 5-6x12-15
ab rollouts 3-4 sets weighted
leg raises 3-4x12-15

lets say 1st leg day would be squats, then rdls and heavy calf raises followed by 2 ab exercises
2nd day would be deads, front squat and high-volume calf raises followed by 2 ab exercises

some form of simplest daily periodization
(might not be "powerlifting" approved, but it works for me though)
>>
>>36344256
it is a pull - you pull your hips vertically upwards while pulling against your hamstrings in order to keep your lower back straight and also puling the bar close to your body using your lats. extension of the legs is a result of pulling upwards with the hips. the second part of the lift however is a push forward with the hips.

seriously, it looks and seems like a push but i guarantee if you think of it this way as a pull you will be able to increase the weight.
>>
>>36344326
if you have the care to isolate your biceps you should have the care to isolate everything. why pick out the bis and tris, two random ass muscles. if you say its for aesthetics then you will no question be more aesthetic if you can be bothered to hit your calves and even forearms as well.

like idc what you do but come on at least admit that you're a lazy bastard
>>
every day is leg day really. 4x a week deads and OHP and 2x a week squats and bench.

the gains have been incredible
>>
>>36344217
my question what is a good rep range for PPL?
3x8-12 for all lifts or just accessories? Do big compounds like deadlift and OHP need a lower rep range?

>pls respond.
>>
>>36344467
it depends on your goals.

most people want a combination of mass and strength if they are doing a PPL, so I'd suggest 5x5 or something on the heavy compounds and 3x8-12 on the rest, though this is really really simplified and condensed answer.

my recommendation to you is to do only the main compounds, assess progress after a few months, have a look and see what has grown well and what hasn't, then add isolation to compensate. its no help curling if your biceps are responding very well anyway, and no its no use neglecting rear delt flies or whatever if your rear delts are lagging behind.
>>
File: 1445107168580.png (209 KB, 398x377) Image search: [Google]
1445107168580.png
209 KB, 398x377
>squats
That's back day
>>
>>36344356
I pull on my triceps to push OHP up, does that mean OHP is a pull? No it doesnt
Youre pushing yourself up while doing a static hold on the weight
>>
File: 1454239061551.png (1 MB, 1074x695) Image search: [Google]
1454239061551.png
1 MB, 1074x695
>>36344500
pure aesthetics for me friendo.
>pic related: my goals
>>
>>36344529

You're pulling with your back. Pretty sure my lower back isn't "pushing" me up.
>>
>>36344534

This guy looks cut but look at the size of his head and fill in the blanks. He's not that big.
>>
>>36344552
Yeah. Your legs are. Dipshit
>>
>>36344557
Yeah i mean he only looks good clothes off. Ottermode tier
>>
>>36344356
That's a lot of words to say nothing.

C.o.m. of barbell moves closer to c.o.m. of body, so it's a pull.
But it's still a good idea to do deadlifts on leg day, because they hit the same muscles as other leg exercises.
>>
>>36344217
Deadlifts and squats on leg day.

Overhead press on push day.

Rows and chin-ups on pull day.
>>
>>36344668

Why only OHP on push? How about also dips? Or alternating bench/dips and ohp/incline bench (or other combinations thereof)?

Seems like a fun program actually.
>>
File: 800[1].png (146 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
800[1].png
146 KB, 625x626
>>36344256
>>
>>36344699
Shoulder issues unfortunately.
I used to bench, but the most I can do at the moment are push-ups.

If I could bench, I'd do both bench and overhead press on push day, but alternate their order.
One session first heavy benching and medium overhead press, second session other way around.

I think it's a good idea to have atleast one press movement with free shoulderblade movement, but that it doesn't really matter whether you do flat/incline/whatever.
>>
>>36344739

Good stuff. And sorry to hear about your shoulder problems.

>One session first heavy benching and medium overhead press, second session other way around.

What rep ranges constitute heavy and medium to you?

>I think it's a good idea to have atleast one press movement with free shoulderblade movement, but that it doesn't really matter whether you do flat/incline/whatever.

What do you mean by "press movement with free shoulderblade movement"?
>>
>>36344668
>Deadlifts and squats on leg day.

Is it a problem to put the two hardest and heaviest exercises on one day? In comparison pull day seems like a joke.
>>
I do:
>pull
DL/pendlay rows (alternating)
Cleans
Facepulls
Curls
Chin ups
Pull ups

>push
Bench
Ohp
Incline bench
Shrugs
Dips
Tricep extensions

>legs
Squatz
Romanian DLs
Calf raises
Leg press
More pull ups between sets
>>
Leg Press, Lunges, Calf Raises, Good Mornings
>>
>>36344668

Also how would you go about structuring this?

LPushPullxLPushPullxx? I ask because it seems your lower back would need to recover from rows to do squats and deadlifts.
>>
>>36344833
It's not so much about rep ranges to me as it is about effort (intensity and volume).
With heavy I mean pretty close to failure on most sets, while with medium I stay atleast a few reps from failure.

With any type of bench press (flat, incline, decline, dumbell), you need to keep the shoulderblades fully retracted the whole time to protect the shoulders.
The shoulderblades can't move freely back and forward (and up and down) like in push-ups or overhead presses.
Practicing natural shoulderblade movement is important for long term shoulder health.

>>36344839
Leg day is a bit harder on the whole body because you're moving bigger weights, yes.
But I'm usually doing more than 5 sets of barbell rows and chin-ups, and I also do dumbell rows, curls and face-pulls.

>>36344848
I do it like this:
Legs, Push, Pull, Rest, repeat.
>>
>>36344839
>do heavy deads and light(er) squatting variations
>do heavy squat/light(er) deadlift variuations
>>
>>36344916
>>36344925

Cool, thanks.

I'm curious about this point:

>It's not so much about rep ranges to me as it is about effort (intensity and volume).
>With heavy I mean pretty close to failure on most sets, while with medium I stay atleast a few reps from failure.

Do you train for volume or intensity? Or both on different workouts?
>>
>>36344948
I do cycles of a few weeks, starting with higher reps at the start of the cycle, progressing to lower reps at the end.
I keep the number of hard sets (volume) about the same, usually around 5 sets, and I keep intensity such that I can do those sets without form breakdown.
Nearing the end of the cycle I do a session with a few triples/doubles/singles that are easy and move fast.
Then I take a deload or rest session.
The last session of the cycle I do a 1/2/3RM, after which I repeat the cycle.

So mainly volume and moderate intensity throughout most of the cycle, and one session with high intensity at the end of the cycle.
>>
>>36345004

Cool stuff, I'm thinking of doing something similar in the future, thanks or articulating it so well.

Right now I'm doing an U/L Texas Method type of program, with 1 set of 5 reps for intensity and 5x5 for volume (as prescribed). For example one Upper day would look like:

Bench 1x5
OHP 5x5

Switch exercises around for the next Upper workout.

Then degenerating into 2x3, 3x2, 5x1 for intensity, although I haven't needed to do that yet. Overall I'd say it's pretty hard for me, both intensity and volume stuff is "heavy" and to failure.

What do you think of this? How would you change it? Am I doing too little volume overall? Am I making a mistake by going too heavy altogether?
>>
>>36345058

Forgot to mention that my goal is to also get bigger, but strength is nice, I would like to reach 1/2/3/4.
>>
>>36345058
Volume should drive intensity on TM, and your 5x5 volume weight should be (a lot) lower than your 1x5 intensity weight.

Only 5 sets is pretty low volume, so if it stops working, I'd switch to something with more sets.
>>
LEGS A
Front Squat
Power Cleans
Good Mornings
Glute Bridges
Calf Press
Seated Calf Raise

LEGS B
Back Squat
Leg Press
Glute Bridges
Seated Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Reverse Calf Raises
>>
>>36345094
> your 5x5 volume weight should be (a lot) lower than your 1x5 intensity weight

Thanks. I'm using 90% of the intensity weight, also to challenge myself. I think that's what I read in the basic TM template. Maybe I should go down to 75%.

One thing I don't remember is how rest intervals should be approached in the volume sets, I guess rest as much as you need to in order to do the next set? For me that's roughly 3 minutes, I try not to go over that.

>Only 5 sets is pretty low volume, so if it stops working, I'd switch to something with more sets.

What about with more overall reps? Like say 5x10 or 5x12
>>
>>36344668

Where would you put power cleans?
>>
File: image.png (213 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
213 KB, 640x1136
I think I am over training push.. Or I'm Doing right ? PPLPPLX
>>
>>36345172
The volume weight should be as low as possible, while you can still progress your intensity weight.
The TM book has a table on what to do when you can't progress your intensity weights.

Three minutes rest is fine, but it shouldn't be too long (e.g. 10 minutes or more).

It's better to increase number of sets than number of reps.
Number of (hard) sets is a better way to measure volume than total number of reps.
But take a look at the TM book.

>>36345264
I would personally do them on leg day because they're hard on the knees and I need 3 days rest between heavy knee exercises.
But if your knees are fine, then power cleans can be done on either leg day or pull day.
>>
I do all shoulder exercises on leg day

so chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs/shoulders
>>
>>36345537
>doing shoulders
>next day chest
>alot of shoulder usage again(especially front delt)

great job retard.
>>
>>36344217
rdl's
>>
>>36344591
>Dipshit
why are american insults so crap
>>
For legs I do:

3x5 high bar squats
3x5 Romanian deadlifts
3x10 standing barbell calf raises
3x12 front squats
3x12 Romanian deadlifts (lighter)
3x12 weighted hip thrusts
3xF standing body weight calf raises
>>
>ITT: people who will never make it
>>
>>36346453
>You can only do three exercises of 3x5 or you'll overtrain bro!
>>
>>36346441
How many reps can you do to failure on BW calf raises?
>>
>>36345472
>The TM book

The one by Lascek? Or Practical Programming?
>>
>>36344379
What is your program man, sounds sick
>>
>>36346513
I also bike to the gym, so by the end of my workout I can really only manage about 40-45 a set. That pretty slow with good contraction.
>>
>>36345604

There's probably a rest there.
>>
>>36344318
>falling for the smith machine meme
>>
>>36346535
The one by Lascek.
It's a good idea to read the second version too.
It addresses some faults from the first version.

>>36346546
On one leg or two?
>>
>>36344529
You mean like the way I push the bar towards my body when I do pull ups?
>>
>>36346560

Thanks man, you know your shit and helped me out some.
>>
>>36344217
implying deadlift is not legs
>>
>>36346560
>On one leg or two?

Two.
>>
>>36346610
Oh, but isn't that way too easy?
>>
>>36344217
I move my squats to the push day and don't have a leg day.
>>
>>36345472

Can you please take a pic and post that table for me?
>>
>>36346631

But push day is already so goddamn long
>>
>>36344217
>Leg presses
>leg extensions
>leg curls
>hip abductions
>hip adductions
>calf presses
>more leg presses
>more leg extensions
>more leg curls
>more calf presses
>tfw no squats because shitty college gym with one squat rack with a twenty minute wait
>>
File: 1457711318.png (42 KB, 820x525) Image search: [Google]
1457711318.png
42 KB, 820x525
>>36346684
Sure.
>>
>>36346627
Like I said I bike in, and after all the other leg work my calves are pretty tired. I'm nit trying to impress anybody on here, just sharing what I do to get some more calf size.
>>
>>36346830
Oh, I was just a bit surprised, but thanks for answering.
I also bike to the gym, but it doesn't effect my workouts at all.
>>
>>36346856
Maybe you're just stronger, idk man.
>>
>>36346823

Dude, thanks bro!
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.