[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Americans measure weight in blind pounds not stone and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
How come Americans measure weight in blind pounds not stone and pounds? Like 10 stone 5lbs would be just 145lbs etc.
I get that people just follow the status quo, but is there any logic to this?
It seems like pricing something as 1000 pennies instead of moving up to the next denomination.
>>
are you really suggesting that using stone is more logical....? you're an idiot
>>
>>36338128
Counting in stone would be like pricing with coins valued at 14 cents... It's even more 'tarded.
>>
>>36338128
Right, that is stupid. Who says 1000 pennies? You owe me 40 quarters.
>>
145 pounds is shorter than 10 stone 5 pounds.

Right?

Right.

On that thought, I've always wondered what language has the shortest words to achieve a thought; ultimately making that language a more efficient one and its users essentially "smarter". Probably an Asian one, who knows?
>>
>>36338264
Well 145 pence is shorter than one pound 45 but denominations are used there.
>>
>>36338128
>2016
>not using slugs as mass unit
>mfw foot-pound-second system master race
>>
File: tmp_14854-145264589452873246710.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14854-145264589452873246710.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
Mfw it's the year 2016 there are still countries that don't use the metric system. Mfw these people actually waste time on 4chan instead of trying to fix their third world country. Jeez I'm still surprised you people even have internet
>>
>>36338128
yeah you fookin amerifats i weigh 1 boulder 3 stone 9 pounds 3 pebbles and 2 grains of sand
>>
>>36338128
How come Britbongs post images sideways?
>>
>>36338930
curvature of the earth makes them flip once theyre this side of the pond
>>
>>36338264
You should read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. There is a whole chapter about why Asians are better at math because of the way their language works.
>>
>>36338128
>>36338254
>>36338264

Your question is pretty signifcant in the context of information theory, particularly the study of entropy.
>>
>>36338128
because we don't carry around money in pennies
>>
>>36338264

The problem with Asian languages is that they often have limitations that call for more work on behalf of the listener to understand. Shit, Mandarin doesn't have verb tenses, and Japanese doesn't have a future tense. You have to figure out from context whether somebody's talking about the present or the future. So yeah, you can say "We're going to fuck next week" in two words in Japanese, but the "we" is implied, and you have to know from the context of "next week" that you're talking about a future fuck. English is a lot better for being painfully explicit about exactly what you're trying to say.

I don't know where I'm going with this but while the idea of "efficiency" has something going for it, it isn't that simple.
>>
>>36340849
Also why they're better at saving money. "Future" is seen differently due to language difference.
>>
>>36340417
speak for yourself
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.