[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /fit opinion on fasting to lose weight? more importantly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
What's /fit opinion on fasting to lose weight? more importantly the warrior diet.

The warrior diet is based on fasting for 18-20 hours and having only one large meal (tipically at night, after exercise and at least 2 hours before sleeping). Exercise is done during the fasting period.

After 2 months of adapting my body, i'm finally used to it, and i'm starting my diet tomorrow.

I've been fat my entire life, and never once was i able to control my cravings, as a 20 year old fatty, i've gone through countless different diets, and for the first time in my life i'm able to fully control my hunger. There are no more cravings, no more snacking, just my one meal is enough to satisfy me. It's like a biological clock

Another question i have is that the diet itself recommends eating veggies, proteins, and fats first, followed by carbs only if you're still hungry, but most of the time a 1200-1600 calorie meal consisting of protein, veggies, and fat is enough to fill me up and give me the energy i need for the next day.

Just in case: 20, 6'2 - 290 pounds
>>
sleep tight porker
>>
>>36305174
Sleep tight porker.
>>
File: le trash man meme.jpg (47 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
le trash man meme.jpg
47 KB, 300x400
>literally falling for gimmicky jew fad diets
>>
sleep tight porker
>>
My other question was; Is having only one 1200-1600 calorie meal of protein, veggies, and fats considered "healthy" for a weight loss diet? (considering my size) or should i add/remove some things?
>>
>>36305174
sleep tight porker

FUCK IT PORKER I REALLY NEED SOME GOOD SLEEP!
>>
sleep tight porker
>>
>>36305174
sleep tight porker
>>
>>36305219
What are the hidden cons of this diet then? back when i started, i did a bunch of research on multiple sites and it seemed to have a lot of benefits (less time thinking about food, less time eating food, exercising with an empty stomach, etc) the only cons i could find where how strict the fasting part is.
>>
Sleep tight porker :)
>>
>>36305174
sleep tight porker
>>
>>36305288
For one, Hofmekler's background is a degree in "human sciences," which is, basically put, a mix-and-match of different humanities subjects thrown together. Not really the direction you want to go if you want to make claims relating to medical science.

As for the benefits:
>less time thinking about food
Unless you've got a mental disorder which compels you to binge it, this normally isn't a factor, and if it is, I recommend getting psychological treatment for that before trying to make yourself some "modern world warrior".

>less time eating food
Again, only really a problem if you have some mental illness compelling you to eat some overly copious amounts of food a day.

>exercising with an empty stomach
Generally fasted training for anything other than cardio is not considered ideal for anyone, regardless of the goal of losing weight. Not even Martin Berkhan, another proponent of intermittent fasting, says to train fully fasted (his protocol has one ingesting at least BCAA's prior to working out, in an attempt to potentially reduce the breakdown of muscle protein as a source for glucose). I'm trying to find the specific study, but I'll just share a quick excerpt from a Berkhan article
>Only in prolonged fasting does protein catabolism become an issue. This happens when stored liver glycogen becomes depleted. In order to maintain blood glucose, conversion of amino acids into glucose must occur (DNG: de novo glucogenesis). This happens gradually and if amino acids are not available from food, protein must be taken from bodily stores such as muscle. Cahill looked at the contribution of amino acids to DNG after a 100 gram glucose load. He found that amino acids from muscle contributed 50% to glucose maintenance after 16 hours and almost 100% after 28 hours (when stored liver glycogen was fully depleted).
That 16 hour point alone should tell you not to train if you're fasting for 20+ hours a day

I'll post more in a second
>>
>>36305288
As for the "cons" of the diet, you have to consider this: humans and their diets are highly flexible. The reason humans can live in all corners of the globe in all sorts of environments is because our metabolisms and our anatomy are greatly adaptable.

That flexibility is part of why we have 10,000 different proposed diets by people of varying degrees of expertise and with some number of the participants obtaining success. The only direct "cons" for a diet you will likely see comes in the cases of extreme restriction to the point of malnutrition in the form of either dangerously low energy or system failure due to necessary nutrients being missed. And the reason most people regain the weight they lost because they enacted temporary measures and disregard considering the habits that led them to gaining too much weight in the first place.

So you run into multiple dilemmas when it comes to this diet.

>malnutrition due to low energy
I'm assuming you don't have much experience with counting calories and weighing food since you're in the position to seek drastic measures in the first place. If you were just doing a diet shift and not adding in exercise, that would be one thing, but the fact that you're increasing your energetic output means you will have to pay that much more attention to caloric intake unless you like liver and kidney failure due to chronic catabolism. And you're much more likely to screw up your intake numbers if you limit your food timing to a small window a day since life happens and fucks shit up.

>malnutrition due to missing nutrients
Same as above with the calories. Unless you're going to be meticulous with various vitamin/mineral supplements, limiting intake to a short time period a day increases the chances that you'll fuck up taking that shit.

>instilled bad habits
Unless you're a total NEET with 0 social interaction, strict diet timing is much more likely to fail if you're having a relatively "normal" lifestyle.

(cont.)
>>
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>36305174
it worked for me.

i went from 215lbs to 125lbs fasting. and the occasional walking, not even jogging, just walkin for an hour 1 or 2 times a week.

it works, but you'll feel tired, lazy, hungry and you won't only be able to get gainz but you'll also lose a lot muscle and end up a weakling
>>
File: ori.jpg (106 KB, 976x615) Image search: [Google]
ori.jpg
106 KB, 976x615
>>36305622
Telling your friends you're dieting is one thing, but even then, the temptation to change things increases hugely when you're out doing fun shit and your mind is not on your health goals, and when your body is so attuned to having such a limited window of biochemical reactions, fucking that timing up can mess you up in various ways.

Intermittent fasting on its own is pretty fine. Many people do it to achieve their weight/health goals as there are some scientific studies that back up some positive medical benefits relating to the fasting. However, like other fads like keto or paleo, it doesn't have any special weight properties that makes it better than other diets based on calorie restriction.

If you want to go on some lifestyle built upon hyperinflated health claims written up by a guy trying to sell you his special products that go hand in hand with the lifestyle, by all means do it. But seriously consider when you're trying to improve yourself whether or not that betterment comes at a premium.

Pic related. A screenshot from Hofmekler's business page
>>
File: 1441996299697.jpg (3 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1441996299697.jpg
3 KB, 200x200
>>36305219
fasting is not a diet you imbecile
>>
File: 1455665320001.jpg (175 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1455665320001.jpg
175 KB, 1280x853
>>36305775
>What's /fit opinion on fasting to lose weight? more importantly the warrior diet.
>>
File: 1455591632391-0.jpg (61 KB, 600x433) Image search: [Google]
1455591632391-0.jpg
61 KB, 600x433
>>36305835
Diets dictate what to eat. Fasting dictates when to eat.
>>
When you guys fast how do you deal with the stomach pain? My stomach acid just absolutely kills me when I fast.
>>
>>36305882
>more importantly the warrior diet
>>
File: 1400220313346.jpg (310 KB, 1939x1454) Image search: [Google]
1400220313346.jpg
310 KB, 1939x1454
>>36305894
Just like the killer whale is not a whale. The warrior diet is not a diet.
>>
>>36305912
It contains protocol on what to eat alongside when to eat it. If you took 2 seconds to Google the fucking topic, you'd know that
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.