[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to run 3.5 miles in at least 27 minutes by late May/early
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: runners-high.jpg (1001 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
runners-high.jpg
1001 KB, 1698x1131
I need to run 3.5 miles in at least 27 minutes by late May/early June. My last 3.5 mile run I ran in about 35:40. Any tips on how to shave off the extra time and get faster?
>>
>>36302609
run more
>>
>>36302609
Push it to the limit
>>
>>36302609
Run more, and faster. Should add a run that's only HIIT
>>
>>36302609
Run more, run slower. build a good cardio base and get some solid miles in before adding any speed work. Shit, speed work probably isn't needed.
You'll shave minutes off by just consistently running at a very easy pace. Trying to go too hard will probably result in injury if you're an inexperienced runner. Look for a 5km race training plan for beginners and follow it.
>>
>>36302609
Cardadine
>>
>>36302804
This. Went from running 2 miles to running 8 in two weeks
>>
>>36302609
To improve your 3.5 mile time run farther than 3.5 miles. Think of every step past 3.5 miles as improving your time. If you can run with music, find out your cadence and google songs with that beat per minute (bpm). This is how i got to my 21 min 5k and do 5 miles under 40 mins
>>
>>36302609
3.5 miles in at least 27 minutes is easy. In fact, you've already accomplished this.
>>
>>36302828
Explain?
>>
>>36302609
10min miles are pretty slow I'm assuming your a beginner. the best advice I can give you is to simply run more. If you wanna be good a running 3mi then you better train by consistently running 6.
Also sprints breh You gotta open up those lungs and get your legs used to be fatigue in new ways

long sprints + 200 meters will build up endurance and teach you push past the point of being tired

hill sprints will engage your glutes beyond what challenges normal conditions can. Like Goku training in x100 gravity.

do sprints once a week followed by a moderate jog and you should find your average pace increasing
>>
>>36302609
To improve in endurance sports like running the majority of your training should be long pieces at low heart rate about 130-155. long meaning over an hour per training session doing pieces that are at least 30 minutes long.

130-155 HR is very easy and you should be able to hold a conversation while doing it. If you can afford it, invest in a heart rate monitor
>>
>>36302609
seriously fuck any of these retarded cucks who think HIIT or sprints are what you need. When you are training for moderate distance, do lots of long easy volume.
>>
>>36302851
I'm autistic so I'm making fun of you for using incorrect grammar which changes the meaning of your sentence in a way that contradicts your stated goals.
>>
>>36303690
I understand now. My bad, you know what I mean.
>>
>>36302609
Lots of long, slow runs. Like 40-50 minutes 3-4 times a week. After a while add speedwork AT MOST once per week, it's tempting to do it more often but it's worthless.

Speedwork means running intervals, i.e. very slowly for, say, 30 seconds and they very fast for 30 seconds, repeate like 6 times, start and finish with cool downs.

Make sure you have good running form (heel striking hurts and slows you down), know how to breathe and good shoes.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.