[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ZERO Self-Control or Willpower
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1453914645733.jpg (141 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1453914645733.jpg
141 KB, 720x720
Hey boys... so I have NO self control or willpower. If I want to do something, I do it-- and if I don't want to do something, even if it will benefit me or even a NECESSITY I often don't.

Same goes for food, if I want to eat half of a large chocolate cake in one sitting, I will-- and not give 2 shits afterwards.

I have started to realize this is a recipe for a completely shitty life if I don't get it under control.

What are some ways to increase this shit? I was thinking of putting a chocolate cake in one of those glass cake stand things and just leave by me in plain sight, forcing myself to NEVER. EVER. touch it.

Will this work?
>>
You get willpower by realizing that the alternative is an early grave. If that's not enough motivation for you then you are doomed no matter what.
>>
>>36302054

>write down goals
>keep a daily journal regarding your progress to said goals

Don't do the cake thing. You'll end up eating it you fat fuck
>>
>>36302054

Willpower is like a muscle, it can be trained and also overworked. Google around for information on this, anyone can develop discipline.
>>
nofap

if there's ANYTHING nofap is good for, it's this
>>
>>36302054
bruh.
>>
>>36302156

Also, the glass cake stand thing may not be a good idea because it may be too much, too soon. Just keeping the food you want in sight will deplete your willpower and when it inevitably runs out you're definitely going to eat it, so just throw the fucking thing away and avoid going places where you can buy them. As for another way to train, just forcing yourself to do absolutely anything requiring some effort will train/deplete your willpower, so if you have as little of it as you claim I would recommend just cleaning up your desktop as a first step. Stay motivated.
>>
>>36302171
This might be the only thing nofap is actually useful for, everything else is a placebo or anxiety from not releasing
>>
>>36302054
>I want to
JUST DO IT
>>
>>36302054
Why do people have to do something so extreme? Why do you have to pretend to be a girl just to ask a stupid question?
>>
>>36302054

Do no fap. It's keeping one of your primary urges in check.

Other issues with self discipline will feel less difficult.
>>
>>36302054
Willpower is just a habit. It's not some magical thing. You don't make it stronger by "testing it," you make it stronger by doing small things every day. And one day those little things become habits.
>>
>>36302868
op is a girl?
>>
File: wut.jpg (127 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
127 KB, 500x750
>>36302054
Even my dog has more self control than you

Do you just rape every chick you walk past?

Obviously you have some self control. Stop being a faggot and build on that.
>>
File: brock.gif (132 KB, 142x160) Image search: [Google]
brock.gif
132 KB, 142x160
>>36303218
Correct. Do little things that challenge your willpower everyday. Doing the dishes, for example.

And it's okay if you fail sometimes. Maybe at first you fail after one day. Don't worry, pick it back up and next time you might keep it up two days in a row. Then three, four, five and eventually weeks on end.

Somewhere along the road you'll realize you can make things happen just by willing them so. And that, my friend, is a very powerful feeling.
>>
>>36303880
>op opens thread with "hey boys"
>has no self control or willpower.

Could very well be a girl.
>>
>>36302054
>I have started to realize this is a recipe for a completely shitty life if I don't get it under control.
Actually, it's the recipe for a happy life.
>>
Read the fat hate thread every single day. Its what I do.
>>
I suppose this is an appropriate thread.

Basically my entire academic experience at uni has involved half-assing everything and just scraping by (sometimes not even getting by - I've had to repeat far too many papers). Now I'm in my 5th year doing year 4 papers and I don't even feel like I belong (probably because I don't). My confidence is shot and it's week 2 and I'm freaking out about coursework. I feel like I've lost what little intelligence I once had and am not capable of even passing anything. I don't even feel like I know how to study effectively.

Does anyone here have any advice at all?

I'd really appreciate anything brehs, this stress is too much
>>
>>36305435
If ou half-assed everything and still passed, you know how to study effectively. That's pretty much the definition of effective: Working as little as possible for grades that are as good as possible.

Working hard and making it - everyone can do that.
Goofing off and STILL making it - that's an art. That's effectiveness.
>>
Both the strength and weakness of willpower is that it can and has to be trained, and it takes a long time. This is why NYR gym atendees tend to fail, because that sudden of a change is usually not sustainable. They rely on a spark of MOTIVATION to help them get to the gym, and when that same motivation is not there to push their lazy asses off of the couch they just crash as quickly as they started. You need to develop DISCIPLINE. Fuck motivation. It's the worst fucking self-development concept known to man. Do you think succesful people always think it's fun to do what they do? Of course not. But they do it anyways, because they know it has to be done. No emotions involved.

Now how do you do that? You build HABITS. The majority of your life is not spent making decisions, believe it or not, but acting on automated behaviors that has become ingrained due to repititon. A very common and simple example is walking: When you were learning to walk as a baby, all your focus and energy went into it. Even if you don't remember it, it was probably extremely hard to do it, but babies don't think, they just do, so whenever they fall, they get up again and keep trying. They repeat the process until walking becomes automatic. They don't even have to think about it anymore. This is how you should approach everything in your life. New habits will take time and effort to form, but once they are, they will feel easy and effortless. Just because something is hard to do everyday for a few weeks doesn't mean it always will be that way. Just stick with it and it will get easier, and even automatic.
>>
>>36305497
also:
I guarantee if you read the book The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg it will completely change the way you look at everything you do in life.
>>
>>36305511

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

The things you want to succeed in has to become as automatic as breathing.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.