[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rock Climbing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Rock-Climbing-4.jpg (303 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Rock-Climbing-4.jpg
303 KB, 1200x800
Skeletal cardiofag here.
My university's gym has a huge rock wall. How do I get into rock climbing if I can't do a pullup? I'm also not flexible at all, but it seems like a good way to build a physique.
>>
i've rock climbed once and i used my feet so the pullup thing isn't that much of a problem starting out
>>
>>36290188
You're supposed to use your upper body more.
>>
>>36290313
No you're not... Even if you can do all the muscle ups You should be using your legs as much as possible to prevent fatigue.
>>
>>36290313
Yep, most of the climbing is done with your legs bro.
Op you asked a stupid question, you get into rock climbing by just fucking doing it. Try and climb that wall, and keep going until you fail, then do it again and you'll be a little better.
I love rock climbing, it's fun as fuck, and it's a great way to meet people, and hot qt's.
>>
>>36290172
jus do eet, numbskull.

watch some shit on youtube, have a crack at the wall (just trying to get yourself off the ground rather than paying attention to planned routes or anything), and see how you like it. much like you go about starting to do anything.
>>
see if it has a beginner route, when i first climbed i was out of shape as fuck and overweight and i could climb that shit

also just start with general strength training if you want to improve
>>
>>36290172
Hey anon, I'm far from fit (more of a skelly), but I've been bouldering for almost 1 1/2 years now. I fucking love this sport, I've never enjoyed another one nearly as much as this one. Let me tell you I was not able to do pullups before I bouldered. After about 4 sessions I could do 5 pullups no problem. Just try to hit the walls regularly and go right to your limits in each session. Climb till you can't climb anymore, be it because your forearms, fingers, biceps or feet fail. Just push yourself to your limits each time and you will make strength gains. I am a pretty lean skeleton but I have built up a lot of strength with this sport and recently have been able to tackle quite advanced boulders. The progress in this sport is fast and feels very rewarding. I have hit plateaus in progress in the past, but just keep on pushing yourself and you will overcome them.
>>
>>36290313
Wrong. You're supposed to use your feet more.

You see them advanced climbing routes on your uni wall, the ones where the final upper most part is crazy tilted and almost horizontal? These are the ones where your upper body str/arms play a more important role than your legs.

Sauce: done some climbing a few years ago. I'm a pull up fag though.
>>
>>36290313
That's simply wrong. The most effective way to climb is to hang on your fully extended arms using them as anchor points, then pushing yourself up with your legs, while keeping your hip as close to the wall as possible. There are certainly situations where you need to fully utilize your upper body, however mostly it is about preserving stamina, therefore using your legs.
>>
>>36290935
>>36291901
>>36292218
But what if I suck at it? I went once before years ago and could barely do the beginner routes. I have like no flexibility in my legs whatsoever and that was a problem.
>>
You start by going to the rock climbing gym and just doing it. The longer you do it the better you will get.
>>
>>36294083
>just start lifting anon! Don't worry about form or having a routine!
>>
>>36293960
>But what if I suck at it
nigga no one was born a fucking rock climber, its called practice
>>
>>36293960

This one time I went fishing with my dad and brother. My dad caught two fish, my brother caught 3 fish, but I didn't catch any fish.

I can never go fishing again.

I wish I had practiced fishing more.
>>
>>36293960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tvCy9Qqk0&index=2&list=PLBCRwO0FN0zMTqSfFW9SMbK2tncTrI25r

some people find it easier than others
watch these videos a few times, absorb it and don't bother doing it unless you love it
>>
>>36294159
why can't you ever go fishing again?
>>
File: P8290137.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
P8290137.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>36290172
just start out top roping the easy routes. The university wall will have learn to climb nights. Go to that and see how you like it
>>
>>36290313
No feet all the way.

You can use your upper body more only if you do bouldering, because you can the the end of the moves.
On traditionnal climbing, you never know where is the difficulty (unless you did the route once already), so it'sb etter to use your legs and keep the upper body strenght. Just imagine being at 30 m high and having to finish with 3 extreme movement. You'll never have the strenght if you pulled up yourself all the way
>>
>>36293960
I started climbing for the first time two years ago now, having not really done any kind of exercise or even gone to the gym before, with a class for beginners. I sucked at it. For ages. It was horribly embarrassing and I didn't want to keep looking like an idiot trying to haul up a wall everybody else apparently could skip up like it was nothing. I did stick with it though, and it does get easier with practice, just like everything else. Its even good fun!

I haven't been able to go in ages because its crunch time on my thesis, but I'm looking forward to the summer so I can get back at it regularly.
>>
>>36290172
Which uni?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.