[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tobacco Smoking and Lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: fit.jpg (141 KB, 1870x595) Image search: [Google]
fit.jpg
141 KB, 1870x595
How many /fitizens smoke?

Are there any real negative effects in regards to lifting if you smoke? I don't mean negative health effects, I know those exist, but any related to lifting specifically?

Do they cause you to be more fatigued?
Do they make you gain weight/lose it?

Pic related, what I smoke, but I wonder if I could be making better progress if I stopped.
>>
What's the point of smoking? It doesn't have any mind altering effects, so what possible benefits do you get for a very much increased chance of death? At least with drugs like marijuana and alcohol you get fucked up in exchange for the risks.

>>36279483
Reduced lung capacity is probably the biggest one, and I've heard some people have a reduced appetite from the nicotine. I don't think it affects muscle synthesis or anything like that though.
>>
File: P0058.jpg (52 KB, 600x495) Image search: [Google]
P0058.jpg
52 KB, 600x495
>>36279483
How about smoking marijuana?
>>
I've been smoking for the past 12 years. I can also run a mile in 5:30. Do cardio on the reg and you wont have any problems.
>>
>>36279657
> It doesn't have any mind altering effects

Whoah there senpai. It has mood altering effects, increases clarity & focus, and in the beginning (or if you have self control) it gives a nice buzz.

However, we live in YEAR, so vaping gives you all these with no downsides.

>>36279863
1 cigarette compared to 1 joint, the joint is worse. But there are no pack-of-joints a day marijuana smokers, so you'll be ok with the weed as long as you don't act like a mongoloid.
>>
>>36279897
Military guy spotted.
>>
>>36279657
nicotine is a psychoactive
>>36279917
>no pack-of-joints a day marijuana smokers

that's not true, but it's not as common as pack-a-day cigarette smokers because of differences in addicting qualities.
>>
>>36279863
I recommend getting a vape. So efficient and saves my lungs.
>>
>>36279897
You still have increased risk of lung cancer & other issues.
>>
>>36280130
>saves my lungs
lmao
m
a
o
>>
Just quit, faggots. Have some a couple nicotine mints a day for a couple of weeks if it's hard. Don't buy more smokes. Quit around the start of february and don't even think about smoking or mints anymore. Mint-free for a couple weeks now. I smoked half a pack daily for over ten years.
>>
>>36280199
>cucked by society

embarassing desu
>>
>>36280136
Nothing to lmao at, friend ;^]
>>
>>36279917
>But there are no pack-of-joints a day marijuana smokers

lol noob where the fuck do you live? Japan? have you ever been to a Colorado
>>
Nicotine alone isn't great, vaping or cheifing on a red. Constricts vessels near the skin. Maybe that hinders gains, not positive.
>>
>>36280226
>living longer and be more attractive to more people by quitting smokes
>cucked
Sure man
before you die of disease think of (her) and realize that I'll still be alive and not smelling like shit and getting it with (her)
>>
>>36280130
>saves lungs
>destroys everything else
nice one m80
>>
>>36280266
>>
>>36280264
More attractive to other cucks, my man.
And I hope you realize it's king of stupid to worry about life after your death.
>>
>>36279917
>1 joint is worse than 1 cigarette
Uh no? Tobacco has been systematically tied to things like lung cancer, weed has not . The worse implications that may be associated with weed so far is short term memory, which may just be temporary as well. There isn't a giant digital billboard telling me live how many have died from smoking weed this year for a reason- weed isn't systemically fatal like tobacco. You'd be healtheir if you switched to pot, probably better to hang around too
>>
>>36280331
Weed smokers are insufferable. They can only talk about last joint, this joint and the next joint.
>>
>>36280331
I'm assuming this is a troll post, considering how it's phrased.

>combusted plant material produces carcinogens, you don't even need to look up specifics to accept this as fact
>carcinogens cause cancer, well established
>joints are unfiltered typically, cigarettes are filtered typically, more exposure
>you hold in smoke longer and deeper with a joint than a cigarette, even more exposure

C'mon man, don't be a fag. It's clearly worse to have a joint than a single cigarette. Just make edibles or something.
>>
>>36280330
Sure man, I don't get addicted to tobacco to try to look like an edgy shit and I'm the cuck.

I know it's stupid, but you'll be doing it anyway because you're a vain buttblasted cancer hole that can't stand the fact that smarter people didn't start smoking at 13 to impress 16 yo chads.
>>
>>36280331
>studies about the long term health effects of weed haven't been done
>weed is healthy guys
>>
>>36280365
>mfw he's the one that is talking about it
>>
>>36280392
>Just make edibles or something
This. Breathing smoke is bad for you. If that is not obvious to you then you have mental problems.
>>
>>36280415
Were you the one that smoked half a pack for 10 years? Try projecting a litlle bit less, I don't even smoke atm.
>>
>>36280507
>I don't even smoke atm
I only smoke mmHg. Get on my level.
>>
>>36280644
I smoked more than 30psi yesterday. Could you handle that, you fucking faggot?
>>
>>36280392
>>36280424
Sorry guys but research on the long term effects of tobacco and weed have both been done, although moreso with tobaccoo. Weed has not been shown to significantly increase your chances of lung cancer. You can try to justify it all you want, but it wont change what research journals out there have already shown: weed has not been found to be associated with cancer like tobaccoo. Next time maybe you guys should try looking at actual journal articles and the studies in them instead of just repeating what uneducated media has been wrongly blasting for the past century. Let me guess, you guys think the real reason weed was originally banned was because of "reefer madness"?
>>
File: don't tell mum.jpg (541 KB, 1032x771) Image search: [Google]
don't tell mum.jpg
541 KB, 1032x771
>>36280266
>>
>>36279483
You'll still make plenty of lifting gains despite the extra cortisol smokes release. Cardio will be dreadful at first but you can train a smoker lung to work better.
>>
>>36279483
There's evidence that it essentially dries out your ligaments and tendons, making you more injury-prone under heavy weight or high intensity sports.

It's awful for your skin and stains your teeth, if you care about appearances.
>>
>>36280446
Living in a metropolitan city has more smoke damage associated with it than smoking weed. I don't see you bitching at everyone to live out of the city? Or fighting for reforms on air quality though?
>>
>>36279483
You smoke a pipe? You don't even inhale that shit. Will not effect gains or cardio at all.
>>
>>36280759
>A is worse than B
>B is still bad
>we should ignore B and only fight against A
>>
>>36280759
I do hate cars and though so I'm even since I don't fight for people to stop willfully inhaling smoke either.
>>
>>36279483
Pipes are no big deal. The only thing that they mighy effect is your gum health. Maybe try not to smoke it daily if you have problems with that like I did.
>>
File: doughnutsteal.jpg (17 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
doughnutsteal.jpg
17 KB, 160x160
>>36280711
If that's true, why does the American Lung Association claim the opposite of what you're saying?
>>
>>36280985
If that's true then why won't you cite their claims.
Retard
>>
>>36281009
not him but here you go. Wasn't hard to find.
http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html
>>
Dip is the preferred form of nicotine for athletes because it won't fuck with your cardio or make you feel like shit. Also less socially acceptable so you have less places where you can do it and thus consume less.
>>
>>36280711
You do know how hard it is to have a good study for this type of thing? Nearly all of them can confirm that you're getting more bad shit into your body, but the bottom line of drawing a connection of cancer is hard to get to. If you knew statistics, you'd understand why these studies haven't firmly concluded the connection, despite all the warning signs like tar and carcinogen intake.

As an example,
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=410634&gt#ref-ira60005-2
>>
>>36281092
Ah yes.
Too bad you didn't read the studies that they are citing. :/
Guess retards gonna retard.
>>
>>36281176
Nope, didn't read. Just found it for you two so you can jerk off to it.
>>
File: pipe-fedora.jpg (66 KB, 750x751) Image search: [Google]
pipe-fedora.jpg
66 KB, 750x751
>>36279483
>Smoking a pipe is much more sophisticated and manly, none of you would understand that.
>..oh, and I lift, too, and it doesn't affect me in any way
>>
smoking is stupid
/thread
>>
>>36279483
>2016:
>Intentionaly inhaling the combustion byproducts of ANY subtance, for ANY reason at all
>Pretending you're 'fit'
You're not. You are dumb. You will NEVER MAKE IT. You're going to DIE.
>Wilful stupidity
>>
>>36279937
Yeah why do all military guys smoke anyways?
Like what's the logic behind that?
>>
File: dmt.jpg (84 KB, 680x355) Image search: [Google]
dmt.jpg
84 KB, 680x355
>>36279483
Does smoking DMT every couple of months count?
>>
File: 1457274136710.png (36 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
1457274136710.png
36 KB, 320x480
>>36281444
I smoked for the last 9 years and was Navy for 5.

10 minutes out of every hour you are "allowed" a break, be it social or solitary. You can network with other departments and negotiate some unofficial trades or services, conduct rapid business or vent rapidly.

It's not the cig that's important at first, it's the moments of peace or being able to let your guard down and collect your head for a minute. You eventually get addicted chemically to the cigs and to the endorphins from the interactions.

If you aren't doing the job you're trained for, everything becomes a slog and that little escape can be the world between getting by and another ft hood.

All that being said, I love smoking. I don't like the effects nor the monthly cost (~$200 monthly for pack a day) and I regret that first pack that I bought. Quit if you can, don't start if you haven't.

Follow my blog for more of my life story and lifting progress.
>>
>>36281443
we all gone die breh :(
>>
>>36281643
Which would you rather have:
A glorious death doing something awesome,
or
A pathetic, useless death in a hospital bed, with tubes sticking out of you, wires attached to you, on a ventilator, weak, wasted away, and disease-ridden?

The former is what may await you.
The latter is what WILL await you if you continue to smoke.

Choose wisely.
>>
anti smokers are worse than smokers

some people dont go around thinking how and when they are going to die all the time
>>
>>36280130
>Vapes
Literally a fedora for your mouth
>>
File: 20160306_195612.jpg (637 KB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
20160306_195612.jpg
637 KB, 4096x2304
Yeah, hand rolled tobacco, mac baren
>>
>>36281766
phone fliped this for some reason, anyways.

It effects my stamina and i cough.
>>
>>36281675
so if you don't smoke you're gonna die gloriously doing something awesome?
>>
>>36281766
>smoking is good for stamina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GxY559Qfbc
>>
>>36281945
Who even implied that?
>>
>>36281766
your face looks punchable
>>
>>36282024
>>36282024

These are the people who call functioning people degenerates.
>>
Smoking is basically like being fat.
>>
>>36282068
Never called you degenerate. Just responding to your face, m8. Why'd you post it? Were you hoping for a dick rub?
>>
>>36282110
I thought it was interesting that i was having a cigarette when i saw this thread and wanted to post a photo of it because i thought that someone else might find it interesting.

A dick rub would be fine though, havent had that in a while
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.