[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I run, I can run a lot farther, making quick small distance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Girl-Nike-Running-HD-Wallpaper.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Girl-Nike-Running-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1200
When I run, I can run a lot farther, making quick small distance steps. Than longer, slower steps.

Which is the most effective way for burning calories, I generally run after eating a 1500 calorie meal at dinner time.
>>
At a set speed, striding out with long slow steps may burn more calories compared to quick short steps due to having increased braking forces on heel strike. But that's completely irrelevant. Run the way which is most comfortable and efficient for you and from there if you want to burn more calories, run faster.
>>
>>36264329

Basically it doesn't matter, so long as you keep ground impact to a minimum, that's the key.
>>
>>36264329
If you want to lose weight you should eat less rather than burn off more.
Start counting calories and eating more healthily.
Exercise is only a supplement to proper nutrition when losing fat.
>>
Give a try to HIIT
>>
>>36264409
Can't eat less, I love food too much. Homemade burgers, hot dogs, bacon and eggs, steaks. Fuarkkkkk.
>>
>>36264455
Can't out run your fork. Doesn't mean running isn't good for your health, but don't expect to lose much weight without addressing your diet.
>>
>>36264455

Yeah running won't lose you any weight, but it will give you a runners high as well as preventing heart disease when you're 40+

Just do lifting for weight loss.
>>
>>36264511
Already lift, but I want to stop gaining weight. Like sure I bench Press 130kg (290lbs) for 10 reps easy, but I'm 110kg (240lbs) at 6'3 so probably not that impressive.
>>
>>36264520
So eat less. Period. There is a not so thin line between eating less and starving.
>>
>>36264511
>Yeah running won't lose you any weight
calories out nigger
>>
>>36264329
Don't run righ after eating, to begin with.

To burn calories, you don't have to run fast. It's best to run long distances at a slow pace.

Longer leaps are a long distance technique as well, but usually people fuck up the form since it's much more difficult, so just focus on running with good form.
>>
>>36264329
holy fuck, 1500 calories is like what i eat in one whole day, how do you manage to eat that much in one meal?
>>
>>36264329
if you run, jog, walk, whatever. .. the biggest factor is distance gone in burning calories. if you run 3 miles you will burn about the same as walking 3 miles. of course if you run 20 minutes you will burn way more calories than if you walk for 20 minutes.
>>
>>36264329
it's called cadence and faster is usually better because longer steps and slower cadence (steps per minute) usually puts more stress on your body once you hit the ground. With higher cadence you spend more time in the air
>>
>>36265261
Keep that in mind, I might try a 20km fast walk for a bit.
>>
>>36264919
I have a very large stomach. I can consume 5kg of liquid and solid food combined in a day.
>>
>>36264329
>>36265442
here's an article

>>36265442
>you run 3 miles you will burn about the same as walking 3 miles

That is wrong. Running burns more calories because it's a harder effort. It's measured by how many liters of oxygen you consume. And running burns a lot more oxygen than walking the same distance.

Here's an article that explains it better and has some good formulas

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
>>
>>36265474
forgot

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Cadence
>>
>>36265489
So taking smaller strides but a lot more steps per minute, as in a higher cadence. Means I'm actually going to burn more calories than longer strides, less steps? Even though longer strides, less steps seems to be harder?
>>
>>36265593
> less steps seems to be harder

that's because it's poor running form and it taxes your body. The main benefit is not calories burned, but injury prevention and better form that equals more running and longer distances
>>
And also I will say, I'm damn sure I was overstriding, basically sprinting. And my legs would get fatigued and it wasn't enjoyable.

But now that I do really fast steps short stride, I move surprisingly fast, my very active dog actually gets a bit bothered now from it, rather than always bursting with energy. And I enjoy it, all I can think about is running forever now. Like I enjoy the feeling up my legs, feels like cuming.
>>
>>36265616
This explains so much. Thanks for all the help, I was going to buy a bike to get this cardio injury-free. But now I've fixed my running form, I have no need.
>>
File: RunningForm-.jpg (185 KB, 2797x1400) Image search: [Google]
RunningForm-.jpg
185 KB, 2797x1400
>>36265621
overstriding is one of the biggest mistakes people make. If you strike ahead of your center of gravity you essentially brake with each step and all that breaking force travels through your body. Times thousands of steps it's asking for an injury

You should hit close to just under you. This gets rid of the braking force and it makes you land more softly thus less stress on your joints. This has nothing to do with heel strike or foot strike I can run both while still not over-striding but heel strikers usually over-stride.
>>
>>36265621
take a look at this video.

All very good tips from a great pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVSv7UxB2E
>>
>>36265676
Yeah I was doing the first, I was actually getting shin spints or legs fatigued quickly, like they just wouldn't want to go any further. But when I pitter patter and breeze really quick steps, no injury, no fatigue.
>>
Not OP but my running watch tells me I should run at around 180 steps/minute. I run at 160 and if I try to run at 180 I quicky get exhausted. I'm not tall at all, only 5'9.

Should I force myself to run at a higher cadence until I get used to it ?
>>
>>36265709
we'll the study that said 180 actually observed the athletes running at a min of 180. Some of them ran at 190 or even 200. For me that's insane. My cadence is around 170 and for example Sage Canaday from this video >>36265683 doesn't have 180 either and he runs a marathon in 2:16. I say if you aren't a pro you shouldn't worry too much about that and focus on your running form in general. There is a great deal of difference between 160 and 170. I can't run at 160 without bouncing like fucking bambi. Another factor that should be minimized.

You can try and increase it a little. I use a metronome app on my phone and I set it at 180 and it makes clicks and I just strike in tune with the app. But now that I have around 170-173 I'm fine with it
>>
>>36264409
cardio has more benefits than just burning off cals
>>
>>36265757

I start to bounce at 150. 160 feels right for me. I'll try increasing to 165 or 170 instead of 180 and see how it goes.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.