[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quitting Smoking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: quit.jpg (67 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
quit.jpg
67 KB, 1600x1071
Do any of you have experience successfully quitting smoking?

I smoke around 2-5 cigarrettes a day, and want to improve my cardiovascular health, as well as the myriad of other benefits that come with quitting.

I've tried a few things like cold turkey and rewarding myself for going consecutive days without smoking, but I can't quite get it to stick.
>>
i successfully quit smoking everyday of my life for the past 26 years by not starting smoking. its an awesome strategy
>>
>>36262681
Solid advice you faggot
>>
10 year smoker

Quit by not smoking anymore
>>
Join the army.
>>
>>36262681
I wish this was me, I started smoking after my friend would offer me cigarettes after smoking weed and i took him up against my better judgement, and it's been a slippery slope that led to more and more smoking.
>>
Buy a vape(lol faggot) and use that to help you go cold turkey.

>Stop smoking
>Craving hits
>Distract yourself while smoking a vape
>Do heroine
>>
>>36262696
Any specific tips that helped you, or just pure will power?
>>
>>36262696
Same here. 10 years of a pack a day. Quit cold turkey 4 months ago. Now it disgusts me.
>>
>decided to stop smoking 5 years ago
I just stopped and never smoked a cigarette again.
>>
>>36262670

I smoked from 14 until I was 20. Was over a pack a day at the end.

It's hard, but I went cold turkey.

The most important part is to realise that if you ever slip and smoke one, don't just fucking give up. One cig is a setback, but it's not taking you back to where you used to be.

Practice lengthening the times between your cigarettes if you have to. Drag it out to one per day, then one eveyr two days etc.

You'll get there if you are serious about it.
>>
>>36262710
im not even a smoker but common sense tells me you could phase it out over a period of time. instead of 5 a day have 4 for the next 2 weeks, then 3, 2 1 0 etc. after 10 weeks u r done. this is not hard
>>
>>36262741
Thanks for this,
is there anything you did to help yourself with the cravings?

I'll get to 3-4 days in and the craving will be intense, sometimes it's like a primal urge to smoke, just gotta push past this will will power, or are there any tricks you can play on yourself to help?
>>
>>36262774

This is the most important advice you might ever hear. This is the thought thst got me through it:

The feeling of cravings you have are because your receptors are empty, there is no nicotine in them.

When there is no nicotine in there, your body slowly begins to destroy those receptors, bringing them back to a normal level.

Thus, cravings are literally your addiction burning out of your brain.

Think of cigarettes as the enemy, and you pushing through that craving is you overcoming cigarettes. It will eventually pass. Maybe you might slip up, but never give up. That's the key man.
>>
>>36262818
Thanks, that's a really good way of looking at it.

Gonna quit starting right now with this in mind.
>>
>>36262843

Good stuff, anon.

I believe in you. You sound like you want to make the change, and that's the hardest step.
>>
>>36262843
Good luck you fucking beautiful faggot. You're going to make it
>>
>>36262858
>>36262866

Appreciate it.
>>
File: Poliwhirldreamart.jpg (49 KB, 325x269) Image search: [Google]
Poliwhirldreamart.jpg
49 KB, 325x269
I haven't had a smoke since January 18. This is the longest I've been without one since I started 3 and a half years ago and I want one so fucking bad.
>>
>>36262952
We can do this man, i know i just started, but stay strong my friend.
>>
>>36262670
you've got to quit cold and throw away all cigs and lighters and anything that makes smoking easy. asking someone close in your life to basically shame you if you attempt helps to (shouts out to my gf)
>>
>>36262670

i smoked a pack a day for 19 years. i started vaping and am slowly reducing the amount of nicotine. i started out on 24mg and now use 6mg. it's been 2 years. as humiliating as vaping is, I'm still glad i do it instead of smoking. even if it isn't any healthier, at least i don't stink. I'm hoping to be done for good in the next 6 months. i hate this fagbox...
>>
>>36262670
I've quit 2 years ago for various reasons, one of the main reasons was that i just didn't have the money to buy packs.

Everytime you feel the urge to smoke or buy a pack, put the money you were about to spend on cigs aside. if you've succesfully saved for 2-3 months, buy yourself something nice as a reward.
Or leave it on your savings account and see how much you can save if you stop smoking, and be proud of doing something that isnt harmful and improves your life

I did develop a new addiction though when i'd just quit. sounds silly, but it was playing video games. and some gambling. i'm now developing better habits instead of gaming and smoking, like working out at home, and it has helped.

When you feel the urge to snack, try nuts or small vegestables like baby tomatoes and carrots
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 600x793) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 600x793
Sauna and steam room helped a fuck tonne.Much fewer cravings for the start especially , but always helps . I did cold turkey and was on 10-15 a day thanks to that glorious sweaty room.
If you need a substitute I've heard nicotine cq patches are good, not Nicorette. Or vape if you would stoop so low...

Good luck you glorious quitter
>>
>>36262670
I had pneumonia over winter break. I went from 6 cigs a day on average to 0 for a month until I recovered.

When I got back to Uni, I knew I had to get my shit together because I was not doing well academically. I started Reg Park's 5x5, cardio on rest days, counted my calories, stopped watching tv, and forced myself to study productively for 3 hours a day.

I went from being depressed and feeling worthless to being positive and happy. The gains in the gym, and my excellent academic progress eliminated a huge portion of stress and misery from my life, and I do not even have an urge to smoke at the moment.

In summary, identify why you smoke. In my case stress from poor physical and mental performance. Correct the deficits, and quitting should become so much easier. The forced one month hiatus also helped I am sure.
>>
>>36262670
I googled pictures of black lungs and throat holes whenever I had a craving. I'm only 4 months into quitting but it's worked very well. The throat thing grosses me the fuck out.
>>
>>36262709
>giving bad advice
you sire get the fuck outta here
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.