[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /coldshower/ here? Also general high test thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: 1456190024299.jpg (167 KB, 573x860) Image search: [Google]
1456190024299.jpg
167 KB, 573x860
Who /coldshower/ here?

Also general high test thread.
>>
Shit's pretty useless and doesn't really clean you well.

Maybe it aids in cold-resistance tho
>>
>>36221615
I heard its good for your hair, since cold stimulates growth or sumtn
>>
Back in my first year lifting (lifting 5 years now) I use to min-max everything, did all the meme things. I was so obsessed with maximizing gains that I was having cold showers.

What did I gain from doing it? Nothing at all, it's all just bro-science shit. I did get hypothermia side effects sometimes though. There comes a time in your life where you realize 99.99% of all the advice you hear online regarding lifting/dieting/health is 100% bullshit.
>>
>>36221603
>>36221615
>>36221658

BROWN ADIPOSE TISSUE

Cold exposure activates metabolically active lipid tissue (brown because these fat cells have mitochondria). These are the same fat cells you've had since you were a baby - generally speaking, they've died and reproduced countless times of course. Your body will hang onto these unless you're dying of starvation, so these little brown bastards send hormonal commands to your white lipid tissue, putting them in their place of suicide.

You'd have to suffer through ~15 minutes of cold water exposure to the traps/shoulders/upper chest to get the most out of this. It's honestly a lot easier to just put a couple ice-packs on for 30 minutes or so.

Ice-baths are hardcore.

Pro-tip: cold water exposure flushes lactic acid from muscle tissue. Generally only useful if you're an endurance athlete though - or training 4+ hours/multiple times a day.
>>
>>36221603
I did it for two months, 10 minute showers, ice cold, none of that pussy turn off the water while you soap up shit.

Worst part is right before you turn on the water.

First few days if feels like you can breathe when you first get wet, especially when the water runs from your neck to your chest. After those first few days, its easy. Even starts to feel comfortable, but nothing is worse than the anticipation right before you turn on the water.

Pros:
Cold resistance from developing brown fat.
Mental discipline from doing something that sucks.

Cons:
You'll dread taking a shower.
All you think about is how nice a warm shower would be.

Overall I'd say just skip cold showers, practice something every day and stick ice cubes down your underwear when you get bored, its the same shit.

>>36221658
>I did get hypothermia side effects sometimes though
Bullshit, nothing bad will happen from taking a 10 minute cold shower unless you don't dry yourself off at all and go roll around in the snow afterwards.
>>
Just finish your shower with a minute of cold water to close your pores and you should be fine.
>>
>>36221743
>he actually believes this.

You're literally fucking retarded thinking different types of fat cells matter and he thinks cold showers some how mobilize them magically and your body will pick those to burn off instead of what it wanted to burn off originally.

Calorie deficit is all you fucking need, you stupid cunt. Your body will take energy from where it decides, not upto you, regardless of what you fucking do, you cunt. Blows my mind how people like you even function.
>>
File: chinese oly lifter belittles.jpg (80 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
chinese oly lifter belittles.jpg
80 KB, 640x640
>>36221603
>not discipling yourself with cold water
>still being a hedonist and taking warm showers
>>
>>36222199
Google search thermogenin faggot. The cold showers are useless tho desu.
>>
All you casual fags try so hard to do all these wacky fucking things.

While pro-athletes are getting high, drunk and not doing any autistic shit like you guys do.

I am sick sick and tired of you idiots thinking all these placebo things are doing anything.

Why don't you go do a fucking rain dance while ur at it, ya fucking low IQ OCD autistic retarded chipmonks.
>>
>>36222291
Athletes literally take ice baths you retarded nigger
>>
>>36222291
Your spelled chipmunk wrong you illiterate faggot.
>>
File: black people.gif (406 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
black people.gif
406 KB, 320x240
>>36222291
>being this buttmad
>not having the required cojones to take cold showers
>"Young athletes with expendable income are doing dumb shit to their bodies during off-seasons so you should too"
>thinking he's ever going to make it
>mfw I just took a cold shower
>shit was SO cash
>>
>>36222357
and you still look DYEL and are weak as piss

keep on doing all ur broscience crap, ya fucking lunatic
>>
>>36221603
I don't take cold showers for the following reasons:
1- There is no reason to
2- They are miserable
3- Hot showers are pleasant and relaxing
4- I'm not autistic
Stop trying every stupid fucking gimmick and just work hard if you want to make progress.
>>
>>36222329
>Taking an ice bath immediately after exercise to reduce inflammation
>Taking a cold shower first thing in the morning because /fit/ told you to
Do you think these two things are the same thing?
>>
>>36221603

I know a lot of people think it's a meme, or a troll, but I honestly take cold showers every day.

When I started it was hard, but you feel incredible getting out of the shower. It gives you a buzz that lasts for hours.

And yes, there is research showing that cold showers improve the immune system and can even help with depression (or prevent it). The testosterone stuff is a bit mixed, but that is not why I take cold showers.

The thing is, now that I am used to them, I'm never going back. It just feels so good after a shower. I don't get the dread that some people do. In fact, I take showers more often now than I ever did. Usually twice per day.
>>
>>36222378
This.

Isn't it amazing how people like OP and others in this thread are willing to put so much effort into this shit, but never actually put effort into things that matter which give you 99.99% of your results, which is eating right and training properly.

They actually believe that doing all these so called "masculine" things is some how going to give them noticeable gains because they're such a "hard cunt" for doing a cold shower, therefore that must mean they get gains right? fucking idiots.
>>
People who think taking cold showers does anything are the type of people who think wearing MMA tshirts and baseball caps means they can fight better.
>>
>>36222412

Why do you think that just because someone takes cold showers, they don't eat/train right?

Also, there is more to it than simply gains brah.

>>36222429

People who dismiss a behaviour they see as weird and think everyone who does it is uninformed are the worst plague on the fitness community.

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877%2807%2900566-X/abstract

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00242274
>>
>>36222403
Honestly, I've found my quality of life just goes down when I'm taking hot showers. Denying myself hot water gives me enough will to be more productive throughout the day.

Most of the guys talking shit about it in this thread have probably never taken them for a week straight.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 547x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 547x700
>High test thread
>No high test being posted
>>
>>36222475
>Why do you think that just because someone takes cold showers, they don't eat/train right?

No, but I know for a fact a random idiot on the internet who does a brosplit and eats chicken breast and rice 8 times a day who is DYEL and weak as piss focuses on the useless shit, like eating clean, brosplitting and taking cold showers, isn't make any significant gains. These people then go looking for other voodoo methods of trying to make gains and make posts like you're doing now citing retarded articles that prove absolutely nothing.

You're the type of people who think all these professionals are 100% perfect with their nutrition and training, and that they do all these fancy things to get an edge, that they must never go off their shit and do all of these retarded rain dancers to get what they have. Then you guys try to emulate it, just like when IFBB guys on 10 grams of gear a week market supplements to you delusional fucks and you eat it all up, yet again, focusing on the wrong thing.
>>
>>36221603
is there a non shopped version of her?
>>
>>36222475
>Practical testing by a statistically insignificant number of people, who did not have sufficient symptoms to be diagnosed with depression, showed that the cold hydrotherapy can relieve depressive symptoms rather effectively
Seems pretty rock solid to me
Good thing too, because the second link was not even about cold showers
>>
>>36222506
>Denying myself hot water gives me enough will to be more productive throughout the day

I thought this was a meme at first. I really did.

But it's amazing how much more energy I have now. I'm waking up every day feeling great.

Also, I have a bit of bacne, always have, but it improved substantially once I started taking cold showers.

I don't know if it's really related. I know it's anecdotal and I'm biased cognitively, but I really do think it's related.
>>
>>36222506
If the guys talking shit had done it for a week, well they'd be just as dumb as the guys they're talking shit about.
>>
You always look so fucking ripped after a cold shower.
>>
>>36222539
My nigga.
I've personally found that my skin isn't as dry, but that's probably untrue.
>>
Started taking cold showers after working out since I would be really sore sometimes and nfl players do it. It honestly feels like it soothes my muscles, placebo or is it legit?
>>
>>36221615
First post best post.

Did this for a week and my skin felt terrible even with moisturizer. Face would flake throughout the day and my skin would feel very very odd when I would stretch. Literally felt like my skin was brittle and would break open or some shit.

>Hot shower then rinse off in cold water
Any other way is wrong.
>>
>>36222577
>NFL players do it
You are mistaken
>>
>>36222516
>You're the type of people who think all these professionals are 100% perfect with their nutrition and training

You make a lot of assumptions. If you don't want to try cold showers, then don't.

>>36222526

Yes, the paper showed that in non-clinically depressed people, there was a universal reduction in depressive symptoms. Everyone has depressive symptoms to some degree.

But it's only one paper, I apologise for not linking more, I just didn't want to inundate /fit/ with lists of references.

There's a nice overview here, with links to studies showing that water-based therapies can improve mood and anxiety disorders better than some conventional drugs:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inner-source/201407/cold-splash-hydrotherapy-depression-and-anxiety

The second link is about cold-water immersion.... if you cannot see how cold showers are cold water immersions... well, I don't know what to say to you.
>>
>>36222516
>citing retarded articles that prove absolutely nothing.

Fucking hell lmao.

Never change /fit
>>
>>36222598
>1h immersed in a tub of cold water
>10 minutes being sprayed with cold water
Yup, samesies
>>
>>36222664
Oh and also the link you gave didn't actually contain any research so I skimmed and dismissed
>>
>cold showers

enjoy your shriveled micropenis
>>
>>36222598
What do you think statistically insignificant means?
>>
>>36222588
Ice baths
>>
File: 1434752082190.jpg (197 KB, 684x1010) Image search: [Google]
1434752082190.jpg
197 KB, 684x1010
>>
>>36221603
I take cold showers because:

1- I take shorter showers that way
2- It's a tiny exercise in willpower
3- I have depression, and it seems to help my mood
4- wakes me up faster
5- my skin is prone to acne, and hot water strips my skin of oils

I'm not sure if there's any muscle benefits, but cold showers are definitely good for me given my condition.
>>
>>36222664

>Being in cold water has positive effects!

>But being in cold water will have no positive effects.

Here is another one for you then:

http://jap.physiology.org/content/87/2/699

>>36222692

What do YOU think it means?

There is a difference between statistically insignificant RESULTS and a statistically insignificant sample.

The first menas that no effects were observed, the second means that there is low statistical power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_power

The only problem with low power is that you cannot rule out non-effects, as they might exist but your sample is not big enough to detect them.

If you have low power, and still find effects, then you can claim the finding to be valid.

That aside, I linked you to an article with plenty of other references all saying the same thing.
>>
>>36222749
>http://jap.physiology.org/content/87/2/699
> 2 h in a climatic chamber maintained at 5°C
This was as far as I read.
Let's think of an analogy: 1 hour of jogging a day will significantly increase your cardiovascular endurance. Therefore, 10 minutes of walking a day will significantly increase your cardiovascular endurance. Does this seem like a solid line of reasoning to you?
>>
>>36222781
>10 minutes of walking a day will significantly increase your cardiovascular endurance

It does, if you have never walked before.
>>
>>36222793
Okey doke, turns out you're a fucking dummy. I am abandoning this thread.
>>
>>36222781

Also, your complaint, after I show that cold water does have beneficial outcomes, is to say that "well most people don't shower that long anyway".

Where is your study showing that cold showers don't do anything?

I have provided ample evidence of the benefits of cold-water, but you are rejecting it outright because "you don't think it does".

This is the definition of delusion.
>>
>>36222805

OK bye.

I don't know why it angers you that evidence of the benefits of cold showers exist.
>>
>>36222744
You should look into electroshock therapy, your cold showers are like taking creatine, electroshock therapy is like tren.
>>
>>36222781

haha, jokes on you, because 30 minute walks are highly recommended for the general population to improve their fitness http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/05/best-foot-forward-why-walking-good-for-you
>>
>>36222569
This, if you have a tendency to get dry skin, cold showers help heaps. I get eczema on occasion and a few days of cold showers clears it right up.
>>
>>36222199

It blows my mind that people like you even function. When confronted with something that challenges your paradigm you throw a tantrum like a child, rather than spend a moment to search the infinite store of human knowledge at your very fingertips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue

>Recent studies using positron emission tomography scanning of adult humans have shown that it is still present in adults in the upper chest and neck (especially paravertebrally). The remaining deposits become more visible (increasing tracer uptake, that is, more metabolically active) with cold exposure, and less visible if an adrenergic beta blocker is given before the scan. The recent study could lead to a new method of weight loss, since brown fat takes calories from normal fat and burns it.

Oh, I got it - you were only pretending to be retarded. :^)
>>
>>36222823
lol fortunately, i don't think my symptoms warrant ECT right now. also, I just googled tren, and it sounds fuckin wild.
>>
I take saunas everyday then take a cold shower. Am I still getting all the benefits? It's easy as fuck to take a cold shower after a sauna you'd even beg for it if need be, so I guess the mental fortitude part you don't get, but the rest?
>>
>>36222403
>When I started it was hard, but you feel incredible getting out of the shower. It gives you a buzz that lasts for hours.
Not really.

I had a broken heater one winter and shwoered cold for months. Only thing I noticed was that i didn't get clean and my skin dried up like a prune. I now have wrinkles under my eyes that never went away.

Anyway, always do the opposite of what /fit/ says.
>>
>>36221640
Good for your skin. Conditioner is good for your hair. You should at end of shower kick on cold for a bit and rub your scalp.
>>
>>36221603
Why not just swim?
>>
Who here /hotwaternosoap/?
>>
File: 1448080995268.jpg (106 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1448080995268.jpg
106 KB, 500x667
>>
File: Liziane_SoaresBDS (29).jpg (509 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
Liziane_SoaresBDS (29).jpg
509 KB, 1280x1920
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.