[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here encountered the overtraining boogeyman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: 1454535041688.png (256 KB, 342x316) Image search: [Google]
1454535041688.png
256 KB, 342x316
Has anyone here encountered the overtraining boogeyman
>>
>>36218930
>Supposed to be working to faiIure
>Ow it hurts! The next day

AII these peopIe on S S or some may may work outs from this site, but no one does reaI research.

Sad.

>Iow caI cutting

>No fats

>Starving yourseIf 1-2 days a week and onIy having water

>Thinking you're working out too hard

>Not stretching

>Sweet potatos

>MuscIe confusion jokes

Everybody retarded
>>
>>36218930
If you work out so hard that you can't move your arms for 5 days isn't that overtraining? Not being able to work out for 5 days?
>>
>>36218930
>>36218955
Hi there DYELs

Overtraining exists unless you roid.

Even Dorian Yates tell you he overstrained on grams of fucking steroids.

People who don't overtrain are following a shiity program that leaves them undertrained.

If you aren't able to add 5lb to your upper body lifts, every time you do them, you are either overstrained or undertrained.

If I have you do 5 sets of you 5rm deadlift, the next day if you try and deadlift, you will not be able to add 10lb to that lift because you will be overtrained, and weaker.

If you aren't getting stronger, you are training sub-optimally.
>>
>>36218955
get a new fucking keyboard holy fuck im so sick of your shit
>>
>>36218987
Doms is a sign of undertrained muscles, bro.

You are just as stupid as OP
>>
Worked out 4-5 hours every day for 5 months, then hit a wall and couldn't do anything for a long while.

The biggest problems with overtraining is that it eats gains and increases the risk of injuries.
>>
Only once when I got dumped some 20 miles away from my house on new years

>Already tired
>had already walked 10 miles earlier in the day
>have to resist urge to sleep in nearby bush

Anyway it took me 7 hours and it was terrible
>>
>>36218955
You think everyone is an idiot, but the only idiot is you because you can't tell apart sarcasm from real posts.
>>
>>36218930
since most people on /fit/ are novice or early intermediate at best overtraining is rarely seen. Its not really something to worry about until an advanced level. I'm pretty sure this thread would change tune if some of the very experienced trips from /plg/ and /owg/ came, they have almost undoubtably encountered overtraining.
>>
>>36219028
story time?
>>
>>36218998
>If you aren't able to add 5lb to your upper body lifts, every time you do them, you are either overstrained or undertrained.
or aren't a complete noob. if you think different, why don't you add 5lbs to your overhead press every workout for 6 months.

lol get out
>>
File: 1456342629310.jpg (61 KB, 539x897) Image search: [Google]
1456342629310.jpg
61 KB, 539x897
>>36218930
>the overtraining boogeyman

I did in college while running 100 miles per week with back to back hard workout sessions.

Got lethargic and treating heartrate went through the roof. Had to literally be sedentary for a month to recover at doctors orders.

Das it.

That being said, 99% of fit is so unathletic that they couldn't overtrain if they tried.
>>
>>36218998
this way of thinking is only for someone at the novice level. This cannot apply to anyone that's been lifting seriously for at least a year.
>>
>>36219049
Op is obviously DYEL. By the time he lifts he will know better.

My post was 100% aimed at people who don't lift

It does not apply to people who aren't retarded
>>
>>36219070
Right, but by then you know overtraining exists and you stop asking stupid questions
>>
>>36219044
Bikers call it "bonking" aka hitting the wall. It's when your glycogen runs out.
>>
>>36218998
I have a 175lb binch for 3x5

I cannot consistently add 5lbs and hit every rep so I add microplates and incrememnt 2.5lbs every workout instead.

I doubt I'm training suboptimally since I'm doing a full body LP routine with plenty of rest and struggle to hit 5 reps every set so I know I'm pushing myself
>>
Of course you can fucking overtrain, put someone on a routine with sheiko levels of volume and ultra high frequency and they'll be overtrained in less than 2 weeks, but it's very hard to do
>>
I do kickboxing (which I'm starting to find out wasn't really the best idea) and the owner there INSISTS that if I start weightlifting I'll overtrain, start gaining weight and die. It's like an hour of moderate-to-intense cardio and I'm on a calorie deficit + clean eating cut.
Is he full of shit or what?
>>
It seems to be the older I get the easier it is. At 33, unless my sleep + nutrition are on point consistently I can definitely overstrain myself if I work out every day in some fashion (cardio/lifting). I don't roid but eventually I might have to start.
>>
>>36219107
start lifting weights and find out for yourself.
I doubt some lifting modestly fit into your kickboxing program will effect it that much
>>
>>36219123
I started today actually. Should I be able to tell in two or three weeks?
>>
When I was in high school, I was part of the judo team of the kids that are seen to be the nation's best hope.

We trained everyday, few times a day. Sport, classes, sport again after school.

There was some tough rivalry as who will get to the next step among the real guys.

You know how it is, no matter how hard some dude tries, they are doomed to be the second best. In my case, I had just one guy to beat in ranking and I'd be on.

I kept being behind, the first one among the cucks and said to myself that if I train harder, it'll compensate my lack of skills and strength compared to the other ones.

So I did do extra training. Again and again... Getting closer and closer but no matter how I succeeded, the other kids kept doing better.

Then overtraining hit. One time after loosing, I realized that loosing and winning felt the same now, I had no desire to win, no fear to lose. I cut the extra training and continued the usual one in "free wheels". Shhh. Let it go man... There will be no pain anymore...

As I suddenly find myself with extra time, I had time to develop interest in other activities, such as physics (understanding the theory behind electromagnetic waves gave me cool feelings, "whoa dude, the universe is biiig" kind of feelings) and engineering, which made me score (this time, ahah....) a pretty good score to entry tests for universities.

Two masters and filling the inscription forms for a PhD later, I feel like quitting being a tryhard was a good idea.

I quitted sports (all of them) for two years and I can now enjoy physical activities again.

Looking back, among my team, most of the other dudes I compete with turn out to fail anyway later on the road and were hit by acute pleb life, or are the current tryhards in the upper league.
>>
>>36219147
if its your first time lifting weights ever, probably. If you have experience lifting it could take longer to tell. Give it a month or so
>>
>>36218930
>overtraining

Nobody here knows what overtraining is.

"Overtraining" takes weeks, if not months of HEAVY training/stimulus with enough recovery to keep hammering.

After weeks or months, your brain is literally damaged. You have "adrenal fatigue", your resting heart rate goes up, and your body shuts down. Cortisol levels increase, and you become irritable, insomniatic, and depressed.

It takes a VERY fit and hardworking athlete to actually over-train. IF it happens, it takes months to a year to recover.

Don't worry, princesses, you will probably be fine.
>>
>>36219028
voycee?
>>
>>36219101
Dude that bench is way low, you should still be able to progress linearly.

I was benching 215 for 5 before I had to switch to weekly progression
>>
>>36219285
Yeah.... I have this
>>
>>36219308
>I have this
Said every new lifter that needs a week long deload.
>>
>>36218930
tendonitis :(
>>
>>36219322
I'm >>36219023
The insomnia, heartrate and 'adrenal fatigue' thing is what makes the difference.
>>
>>36219107
I've done this and I can tell you, it feels fucking awful to train martial arts and weightlift if you're a novice at both.
Your joints suffer the most. They always feel hurt and tired.
>>
>>36219343
>tendonitis :(
Not overtraining.

That is an overuse injury. Different boogeyman.

>>36219345
>insomnia, heartrate and 'adrenal fatigue' thing is what makes the difference.
Overtraining just fucks your shit up. Correct.
>>
>>36219285
This.
Most of /fit/ is novice or early intermediate, so unless you are training at impossibly high volumes you shouldnt really worry
>>
>>36219356
How do you recover from it?
>>
>>36219388
>recover
True over-training? Go to a doctor and get bloodwork done. There could be many different issues. You might be iron deficient, low test, etc. because of the damage you've done.

Usually recovery requires a good diet, a regular sleep pattern, and weeks or months completely free of CNS taxing exercise.
>>
>>36219408
Ok. noted.

>CNS taxing exercise.
What is this?
>>
>>36219418
>What is this?
High intensity training, whether cardio related (sprinting, high intensity racing) or lifting (maxing, high volume sets), etc.
>>
>>36219427
Ok. Is moderate cardio still ok to do or should I lay off everything?
>>
>>36219356
It can be caused by two things, idiot.

Overuse – A particular body motion is repeated too often.

Overload – The level of a certain activity, such as weightlifting, is increased too quickly.
>>
>>36219445
Ask your doctor.
>>
>>36219449
>idiot

OVERTRAINING is different than being temporarily overloaded and tired.
>>
>>36219449
>idiot

Stay mad, my cIueIess dyeI.
>>
>>36219492
>>36219493
>Knowing more than a physio/doc
>you cucks
pick one
>>
>>36219513
>physio/doc
Use whatever excuse you want to take time off.

In sports, overtraining is severe, and overuse or overload is short term issues.
>>
>>36219513
>Trying to use the dead pick one may may
>Making beIieve you're either a physio/doc or have even the cIosest Iogic of one
>OnIy thing you are is a faggot

Pick three.
>>
>>36219541
>>36219530
Guys just trying to play speicial snowflake with "my alement" is worse than yours. How does it feel to not even lift?
>>
>>36219571
I have a 1500 pl total and a 31:30 10k under my belt, if that makes you less fussy.
>>
testing
>>
Most common cause of overtraining in lifters are high levels of cortisol. Long workouts and long periods with no food will cause your cortisol levels to raise and you will start going catabolic. Hence why Pianoman consumes shakes while doing his 8 hour workout. Now if you add poor sleep, ACTH will fuck up as well and your cortisol will raise even more by the morning. This will cause high blood pressure, gains goblin and low test (I'm not shitting you, seriously look it up).

So if you have any of these: high BP, shitty diet, shitty sleep, long ass routines, tiredness; go to doctor to take out any other possible etiology and do this: short workouts (1 hour max), add cardio (30 minutes is okay), eat vegetables, fruits and vitamins, lose a bit of weight by cutting, and fix your sleep (no more 4am fucking around).

t. medfag
>>
>natty problems

natties are to roiders as women are to Men.
>>
>>36219588
Still does not make you right m8 sorry to break it to you
>>
>>36219619
Generally healthier and live longer. I agree.
>>
>>36219626
>Still does not make you right
See>>36219610
Being right makes me right.
>>
>>36219619
>thinking anabolic will do anything good for you
How is that heart doing, bro? Mind if I do you an EKG and a thorax xray?
>>
>>36219619
>Implying
>>
>>36219634
no

>>36219647
>>36219655
i was just memeing, im no roid monkey
>>
File: undertrained.jpg (57 KB, 634x322) Image search: [Google]
undertrained.jpg
57 KB, 634x322
>>36218930
it's important to remember that under training is much more dangerous than over training
>>
File: 1449876427417.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1449876427417.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>36219740
>no
>>
File: vanillagainz.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vanillagainz.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>>36218930
Yes, but it was an extreme regiment kept up for a semester.

1. Rowing practice six mornings per week
2. Team lift 3 times per week
3. Supplemental cardio, mostly erging, 4x per week
4. MMA training 4 nights per week
5. Races on the weekend for 8 weeks in a row.

No gainz were made, and I had to eat and sleep like it was my whole job to keep from becoming completely crippled with fatigue and soreness. Ribs constantly hurt and I was seeing a chiropractor weekly. Stats were 6' 180lbs with a 6:43 2k and 240lb bench press.
>>
>>36219973
Dammit, "regimen," not "regiment."
>>
>>36219304
What did your bp start at? I started at 65 so idk, everytime I try to add 5lbs now I can only hit 3 reps or so before failure, but can easily add 2.5lbs and hit all 5.

I'm eating 3k calories at 5'9, and I don't want to eat more cause I'm already chubbyish/skinnfat
>>
>>36218930
Yeah.. it's been getting bad after like the 7th orgasm I just feel like shit
>>
>>36219780
Oh SHIT that was a thinker

RIP Plitt
>>
Over training can sometimes take months or even years to develop. Signs include elevated resting rate, mental fatigue and dreading the thought of training, stress, bad sleep
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.