[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck motivation. I feel like motivation just gets you off your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: discipline.jpg (314 KB, 700x1082) Image search: [Google]
discipline.jpg
314 KB, 700x1082
Fuck motivation. I feel like motivation just gets you off your ass randomly.

Where do you get your discipline from and how to keep it up for years?
>>
Read good, inspiring literature.

Here's a basic list:

The Odyssey - Homer
Discourses - Epictetus
Storm and Steel - Junger
The Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
Autobiography - Benjamin Franklin
>>
>>36217484
Asking the right question, anon.
>>
>>36217484
I force myself to hangout with people who are smarter/richer than myself. IF they're not available
I go on youtube and watch interviews/lectures which ranges from writers,philosophers,musicians and film directors. Usual ones that aren't glorified by the mainstream because they tend to repeat the same ol be yourself bs

Basically look for people who are making good shit but aren't rich. thats the people who motivate me.
>>
You don't need discipline if you make it a habit.
>>
>>36217484
you need to motivate yourself to have discipline then you need the discipline to keep the motivation or vice-versa
>>
>>36217484
My experience is that it's a personality trait that some people just have and others don't. Whether it comes from genes or upbringing is a different matter (and I don't know)
>>
A nihilistic world view or an absurdist world view.
>>
File: 1408753448211.jpg (2 MB, 1324x1101) Image search: [Google]
1408753448211.jpg
2 MB, 1324x1101
>>36217591
Fucking nerd
>>36217484
OP when you hit your rock bottom you have 2 choices
a. just be a loser and let it take you away
b.get off your ass and try to get out of it
Unless you really want to accomplish something you will never need motivation it will just come naturally to keep doing what you are doing to accomplish the goal
If you slack off just know that what you are trying to accomplish is not the most important thing to you
>>
do something on a regular basis. start off slow, but increase your personal workload daily. if you keep at it, you will start feeling an "urge" to work everyday.
>>
>>36217649
This

90% of accomplishing any long term task is industriousness.

So for fitness, buying a gym membership, setting out your workout clothes the day before, having a drink ready to go, measuring your progress, setting SMART goals etc are all things you can accomplish in the short term that will help make you more likely to follow through.

After you've followed through for X days it becomes easier and easier and eventually is a habit. A habit is harder to break and easier to maintain, but still needs some work.

In short, trick yourself as much as you need to and be smart enough to know your weaknesses and plan with/around them where appropriate. Also learn to tolerate failure.
>>
>>36217725
only non-retarded post in this thread
>>
My struggle with getting into a lifting routine sums up what it's all about.

Every single fucking day I would say to myself all day
>I should really lift today

And every day I didn't.
And then one day you're so disgusted at yourself you force yourself to lift.
And then then every day after you think
>I can't wait to lift today

Unfortunately, this attitude infects every minutia of my entire life. I spend most of my time thinking about how awful it would be to do anything other than sitting here doing nothing. It sucks
>>
>>36217484
The secret to all of this is basically just consistency, repetition, and consistence.

Humans overvalue what we are. We are animals that are susceptible to mental conditioning. Condition your mind for great feats through consistent and constant practice and you will be great by necessity.

Program yourself and greatness will come naturally.
>>
>>36217484
You build it.
>>
>>36217688
What's up with that meme pic?
>>
>>36217777
>>
>>36217763
That's not you struggling with your lifting routine. That's you thinking about lifting and then thinking about what you're thinking about and thinking some more.

Maybe you should lift instead. You can't succeed until you fail a lot.
>>
>>36217778
/thread
>>
>>36217484
You rack disciprine..
True disciprine... Come from within
>>
>>36217763
Thats because you dont want to change your disgusting body until the day you are tired of looking like you do you will hit the gym everyday knowing that once you stop you will fall back to that procrastination.
If you are not willing to go to the gym to change yourself it means you really dont want to lift in the first place
>>
>>36217526
Will look into those you listed. I´ve read Homer like ages ago.

>>36217688
>>36217725

hit rockbottom last year. Compared, I am okay now. I actually had more discipline to go to the gym at that time, since it took my mind off, at least a bit. Also needed to be completely exhausted to even think about sleeping. Thought I build up a habit in this time, but doesn't look like it now.

a. is so out of the question
b. working on it, but in a low momentarily

Best discipline I had was after surgery and had to train properly for a year to get back on track.
"Goalbody" or increased strength is not enough for motivation and proper discipline. So it doesn't come naturally atm.
So yeah you`re right. Not the most important thing, but I would like to have it that way.
Guess industriousness is the way to go.

Smart goals might be the keyword.

Thanks guys
>>
>>36217875
That's basically what I said. It's not very well worded, but basically I kept thinking about lifting and procrastinating, but when I stopped thinking about it and just did it, then I was able to stop procrastinating.

The illusion of free choice is a really big problem. A lot of people would be much happier as slaves, with no choice but to be productive. Because that's when we're happiest. Pretty much what >>36217778 said.
>>
>>36217484

My motivation comes from myself, it is endless and doesnt exhaust.

Gathering motivation from external sources like, fuck i dont know, girls, buying new supplements, new years resolution, will make you fail. Because that motivation doesnt last long and it vanishes.

Again, my motivation comes from myself. I go to the gym and lift hard, wether i feel like doing or not. I just go
>>
>>36217997

EDIT: I think i have found this infinite motivation, because i tried to go to the gym whenever I FELT LIKE STAYING AT HOME.

Like these specific moments that we all have (or had). I would think for a second and say " fuck me, i'll get my stuff and go right fucking now".

After 8 months or so, i never felt like skipping the gym anymore
>>
File: tfw2.png (248 KB, 296x527) Image search: [Google]
tfw2.png
248 KB, 296x527
>>36218023
Good to know. But this "I´m going no matter what" is where I fail.
Still, gonna take that as: If a dude on an anonymous image board is capable of it I should be too.
>>
>>36217526

Can confirm Ernst Junger is 100% inspiring.
>>
>>36218325

Oh yeah, also what helped me a lot in the beginning was SOMEHOW this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cI4L4KBfA

I dont know why, but i would watch these before every workout and be motivated as fuck.

The music is sick, and the footage is sick too.
Seeing him like that, a weak skeleton and then turning into such a beast.

Ahhh i still love it.

Zach is also a good boooy
>>
I have a cold. It is nasty outside. It's late and I'm tired from work. But I going to the gym to run 1.75 miles, because I only made it 1.5 miles my last two runs. I will run 1.75 miles or fall off the treadmill. It's an achievable goal, so I will succeed.
>>
I approve of this thread and all the book choices!
>>
Got my discipline from my mother and lifestyle.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.