[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any truth to being able to lift more when you have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: gym.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gym.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
Is there any truth to being able to lift more when you have a spotter. I find that when I have a buddy of mine spotting me on something like bench I can lift 20% more than normal. 255lbs becomes easy for me when I struggle with 225lbs by myself. And before you say anything, no he is not stealing my gains by lifting it for me.
>>
dumbfuvck
>>
yes, I lift more when my spotter is yelling at me
>>
>>36181382
I wouldn't know, I've never benched with a spotter and probably never will. If you steadily increase weight by small increments you'll never be lifting too much to rack it on the safety pins and will still make strength gains.
>>
>>36181382
100% yes... I lift wayyy more when I have a spotter I trust... Sometimes if I'm failing on a rep he'll pretend to help me lift the bar and I'll suddenly be able to life it.. Then he'll tell me he was faking helping me
>>
It's just an increased level of personality in being observed. It's why I was able to dedicate more to exercise when I moved from a home gym to a public gym. You're just getting more personal by having random observers become more focused on you.
>>
>>36181382
Yes. They don't even need to do anything but stand behind me. Without anyone there you always have tat unconscious thought of not being able to push the bar back up.
>>
File: moehang.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
moehang.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
>>36181382
>lifting with pants
>>
That sexy crotch aroma gives you a power boost
>>
Yes. Having a spotter helps with confidence, but mostly the help with the lift off will help your back stay tight since your shoulders aren't rolling forward like they do when you give yourself a lift off.
I will always have a spot while benching otherwise form deteriorates right off the bat
>>
It's a psychological trick and why your brain holds you back. Your brain thinks he does have the bar, but your body knows better and kicks in to exert more force to push the weight upwards. In the brain, it doesn't register. It has built in functions to prevent you from being hurt, whereas the body can do more but is restricted by the brain. Hence, trick the brain into thinking it is less weight, body compensates.
>>
>>36181604
Wack on those 0.5kg plates this set anon!
>>
>>36181611
>he'll pretend to help me lift the bar and I'll suddenly be able to life it.. Then he'll tell me he was faking helping me

He was helping you bruh
>>
Lifting with a boyfriend to save you is gay. I feel sorry for those of you who have never pushed yourself to the limit without a safety net.

You should be forced to tip the weights and dump them which will be loud and embarrassing if you fail a lift. This will cause you to make the lift 100% of the time as long as you're not putting a ridiculous amount of weight on like a retarded asshole.

It's about having faith in yourself to break new ground on your own. I can't respect guys who need spotters on their bench as much as I respect guys who bench on their own. One is just afraid of being embarrassed by having to dump weights or call for help, the other is confident that he will make the lift no matter what and isn't afraid of having to dump weights or call for help if he fails (which he won't, because he has more balls).

Get on my level, spotted lifters.
>>
>>36181676
Is this pasta? I haven't been to this board in awhile.
>>
>>36181645
>help with the lift off will help your back stay tight since your shoulders aren't rolling forward like they do when you give yourself a lift off
Your spotter isn't helping you with the liftoff enough to stop your shoulders from working on the liftof unless he can upright row 200+ lbs.

You pussies have all kinds of justifications for having a babysitter.
>>
>>36181382
>I find that when I have a buddy of mine spotting me on something like bench I can lift 20% more than norma
yeah thats because hes a bad spotter and lifting it for you
>>
>>36181714
How short do you think my spotter is? He literally just shrugs the weight and moves it over my chest
>>
>>36181604
Christ you're thick

1. You will eventually have to hit failure if you want to advance
2. The spotter is also there to help you if something goes wrong otherwise you might end up with a 250lb bar on your neck
>>
>>36181747
>He literally just shrugs the weight and moves it over my chest
No he doesn't, not unless you're benching lmao1pl8. You're still doing the liftoff but you're boyfriend is there and you're imagining he's helping enough that your shoulders aren't rolling forward.

A spotter is literally just a placebo.

>>36181750
>You will eventually have to hit failure if you want to advance
You serious? If you know what you're doing you can hit new PRs without failing.
>you might end up with a 250lb bar on your neck
Explain how that would happen unless you're suicide gripping or knowingly lifting more weight than you should be able to lift (i.e. being a retarded asshole).
>>
>>36181786
>you're boyfriend
your
>>
>>36181676
The navy seal is at it again.
>>
>>36181786
>if you're smart you never have to hit failure

OK bud enjoy your "gains"

And all it takes is a sudden muscle cramp or some idiot bumping the bar to fuck your shit up. It's not likely but it happens. Bench is one of the most common places in the gym to seriously injure yourself
>>
>>36181382
I lift more while i swallow a steady supply of my spotters semen
his cum is protein rich and helps me achieve new PRs every day
>>
>>36181819
>rewording a quote
Cuck alert. I said if you're smart you can hit new PRs without failure.

Figures a cuck who is dependent on having his babysitter boyfriend around would rewrite a quote like that.
>>
>>36181714
You can't lift 200+ lbs an inch upward and move it forward? How fucking weak are you
>>
>>36181836
I don't use a spotter I use my power rack with safety bars

How much do you bench, honestly. I'm guessing <2pl8. There's no other explanation for this level of retardation
>>
>>36181786
>No he doesn't, not unless you're benching lmao1pl8

Not everyone is as weak as you. Shrugging 2 plate is easy as fuck.
>>
>>36181819
>And all it takes is a sudden muscle cramp
If you drop the weight on yourself your spotter isn't going to catch it. Spotters are a placebo. They are there to save you from embarrassment or help you with a rep that would otherwise be a failed lift. They're not there for safety, this is just a meme that the fitness world clings to.

>Bench is one of the most common places in the gym to seriously injure yourself
Almost all bench injuries happen with a spotter nearby. A spotter won't be able to grab the bar before it lands on your face or cracks a rib.
>>
>>36181786
>No he doesn't, not unless you're benching lmao1pl8. You're still doing the liftoff but you're boyfriend is there and you're imagining he's helping enough that your shoulders aren't rolling forward.
Mate I'm an average guy and I row 190lbs for reps. I think a spotter is going to be able to lift something 2 inches for you.
>>
>>36181838
>You can't lift 200+ lbs an inch upward and move it forward? How fucking weak are you
That's a lot of projecting for someone who can't do his own liftoff.
>>
>gym bro sweats
>drips on my face when spotting
>sorry brah

Happens like once a month
>>
>>36181846
>How much do you bench, honestly. I'm guessing <2pl8.
You must be upset, now you're conjuring fantasies.
>>
>>36181852
>being this retarded

First, a good spotter SHOULD be there to catch it. But either way, usually the bar doesn't drop, it'll just start lowering until it hits neck/face.
>>
File: baby-bottle.png (43 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
baby-bottle.png
43 KB, 256x256
>needing someone to liftoff for you
I think you dropped this. Don't worry, I picked it up for you since I know you can't lift things on your own.
>>
>>36181870
Conjuring fantasies? Is this bait? It's a simple question. No one who has put real weight on the bar would ever claim to have never failed a rep.
>>
>sometimes ask randoms for spots
>usually some frat dude because of the population of my gym
>always get some weird half-hearted 'cmon u got this lets go come one one more"
>????????
>>
>>36181869
>gym bro sweats
>gently dab my towel on his forehead and chest
>"gotchu brah"
>>
>>36181896
The few times I ever failed a rep all I had to do was hip drive an inch or two and rack the bar on the safety pins.

There's no need to be so upset about someone being more manly than you and being able to bench without a spotter or handle failed lifts on their own.
>>
>>36181899
lol
>>
>>36181382
Sorry op you're a homo
>>
>>36181922
>still haven't said a number
>reddit tier trolling attempts

Ok, definitely bait then. But on the off chance you're serious you can loom forward to the day you try to rack a failed rep with a hip drive and the bar lands on your teeth.

Either that or nogains forever.

Stay classy m8 I'm out
>>
Yea. I feel like if the spotter is touching the bar -nohomo- even without helping me i still can lift more than normal. It must be cuz when im alone im afraid to fail and do the roll of shame, so i usually go lighter.
>>
>>36181961
>stops arguing about having a spotter
>starts a pissing contest
If it makes you feel better to imagine I bench under 2pl8 then just do that. You seem rustled.
>>
File: tysonreaction.gif (2 MB, 380x286) Image search: [Google]
tysonreaction.gif
2 MB, 380x286
>using barbells
>>
>>36181382
His arms just look retarted. As if they're taped on his body. Other than that, nice stats. Does he squat?
>>
>>36181676
You're stupid and wrong. A spotter is the best and way to get stronger on bench. If you never push past your limits, you will never pass your limits.
>>
>>36182052
>If you never push past your limits
You can't push past your limit, that's why it's called a limit.

You can however surpass limits by making PRs. You can make PRs without a spotter.

>You're stupid and wrong.
You babysitted lifters are emotional as fuck lmao. No wonder you need supervision during your lifts.
>>
>>36181985
Not even him but you 100% missed the point. Please learn to read.
If you reply to this with any confusion, read again.
>>
>>36182128

This post >>36183541 also applies to you.
Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it. That's just common sense which you clearly lack.
>>
>>36181714
>>36181786
>>36181854

It's not a row, it's a barbell shrug. And if you can lift any respectable weight you should be able to barbell shrug at least 300 pounds.
>>
>>36181819
I bench in a cage with safeties and I've only had to use them when I was starting out since I didn't know when I was about to fail a rep.

I've literally never failed a set in the past two years and I doubt I've missed out on any extra gains.
>>
I'm more confident about going up in weight when I have a spotter.
>>
>>36183591
>I've literally never failed a set in the past two years
I don't think I could train this way. I'd feel like I'd cheated myself by not trying to push through that last rep I didn't think I had.
>>
>>36183591
>I've literally never failed a set in the past two years and I doubt I've missed out on any extra gains.
Same. I'm just rustling these faggots who use spotters because it's so easy to do.

I don't think they can admit that it's a crutch. They legitimately feel they need a spotter to bench. I would hate to be handicapped like that. Luckily I'm not.
>>
>>36183578
>if you can lift any respectable weight you should be able to unrack the bar without a babysitter
ftfy
>>
>>36183550
Maybe you shouldn't bench weight you can't handle? Not only is that common sense it's easier to accomplish than bringing your boyfriend with you every session or asking other gym members to spot you. Just don't lift more than you can handle, little sally tryhard.
>>
Failing reps is not a good thing when you're strength training. If you want to lift to failure, then do it with dumbbells or high volume sets.

You shouldn't be failing PR attempts on the bench unless you don't know what you're doing. It's fairly obvious many of you don't know what you're doing which is why you need a spot.
>>
I bench and squat with saftey rails.

I never worry about failing.

Home gym master race.
>>
Just bench in a smith machine
>>
ed coan says its a confidence thing

https://youtu.be/C7tXNK_eTCQ?t=1009
>>
>>36181382
damn I need some bright red pants
>>
>>36181604
Eventually your strength will gain slower than the weight increases on the bar.

The first thing to suffer when weight is too high is form.
>>
I suspect it's the effect of knowing that someone has got your back if you struggle.

I'm very much dyel, my bench one rep max is only 170 right now. Doing 135 by myself? No problem. But 160 or more? Nope. I'd be pretty scared of dropping it on myself. But if I had a spotter? Then I know for sure I can lift it. And if for some reason I fail I won't severely injure myself.
>>
>>36181382
Assuming you have a good spotter who doesn't deadlift the bar off you every rep, then yes, I'd say it's a psychological effect. It's not usually as extreme as 20% for me, more like a difference of about 5kg max.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.