[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The physiology of gaining weight and losing it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 8
File: HOT-wheat.jpg (50 KB, 502x480) Image search: [Google]
HOT-wheat.jpg
50 KB, 502x480
I just thought I'd post this lecture series by a Canadian nephrologist. He explains what causes people to gain weight and lose it in a scientific manner and quite clearly. Why calorie restrictive diets fail in the end, why fasting is useful and what hormones play into weight gain and so forth.
I thought it was interesting and useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0
>>
Bump before it reaches page 10. I'm almost done watching the video.
>>
>>36150307
High protein causes obesity?
>>
>what causes people to gain weight
eating too many calories
>and lose it
eating below your tdee
>why calorie restrictive diets fail
diets designed to end will always fail when they end
>>
I'm not watching 60 minutes of some tarded chink who wears stethoscope while giving a lecture, summarize his shit
>>
>>36151411
>who wears stethoscope while giving a lecture
this
can you imagine having so few actual credentials that you have to play dress up while giving your lecture?
>>
>>36151381
>>36151382
>>36151411
The TL;DR would be
Hormones set your body weight set point and your body tries to achieve this weight by several different means: reducing energy expenditure and trying to get more energy in. He also goes through why exercise is useless for weight loss and why calorie restrictive diets fail in the end.

There is clear scientific evidence of this as he proves with studies from respected academic medical journals.

There is too much stuff to give a real explanation of in a single message.
>>
>>36151451
>body weight set point
fucking omfg
I can't believe I actually read this stupid shit on somewhere other than people making fun of fatties on tumblr
>>
Restricing calories doesn't fail. People just stop doing it and go back to their old eating habits instead of learning how to eat for their new weight.
>>
>>36151451
So basically
>MUH GENETICS
Glad I didn't waste my time
>>
>>36151451
As if the army of people succesfully changing their body composition by just counting calories don't exist. wtf
>>
>>36151476
It's a scientifically proven fact. It is also the reason why if you randomize T2DM patients, give them insulin you'll see a nice pattern of the patients gaining the most weight who also get the most insulin.
There are many more examples of this too. Super obese people have 500% more fasting serum insulin than normal sized people. Imagine what would happen if they had 500% more HGH.
You can just stick your head in the sand but obesity is a hormonal problem - Not some lack of willpower.
>>
>>36151526
Can fat people please stop using the internet?

I think this is all I want in life.
>>
>>36151501
>>36151514
It's not about genetics for the most part even though that also explains quite a lot. It's more a matter of the western diet and the way it fucks up your body.
Anyway, I don't have time to argue with some tards on a Chinese origami forum. For all people who are interested in why people gain and lose weight, why some are skinny, some are obese as shit then watch the video. It's full of good stuff.
>>
>>36151558
We already know. They gain weight because they eat too much. They lose weight because they don't eat enough, and the body relies on its previously apportioned energy stores.
>>
>>36151526
You are a troll, right?
>>
File: CN8Lyq6UwAEKQPr.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CN8Lyq6UwAEKQPr.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
>>36151568
and that explanation doesn't help for shit. It's like saying to a constipated person that his problem is eating too much and too little poop coming out lol.
>>
>>36151636

no, that's like telling a constipated person that he's not getting enough fiber and water, which is the reason that he's constipated.

much like how eating too much food is the reason why you're fat.
>>
>>36151636
That's the dumbest analogy ever

Changing the thermostat (treatment) actually causes the heat to go down (useless treatment?). Reducing your insulin level won't cause you to eat less or move more.
>>
>>36151679
Nope.
Fat guy - Too many calories in, too little calories out
Constipated guy - Too much food coming in, too little poop coming out

Saying that the constipated guy needs fiber and water is actually useful advice.
>>
>>36151707
right, so is saying the fat guy needs to eat less

because that's the thing that will fix the problem.
>>
>>36151726
So is saying that the constipated guy needs to poop more
because that's the thing that will fix the problem
>>
>>36151636
>expending more calories is useless because fat people cuck law of physics somehow
Ok fatty, whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>36151751
Right, it will.

And eating less will fix the fat problem. Now, the question become, respectively, how to poop more or how to eat less

eating fiber and drinking more will help you poop less.

Changing your insulin level doesn't make you eat less. You make you eat less.
>>
>>36151765
The human body is a closed system as prescribed in the first law of thermodynamics that is a prerequisite for the second and third.
regards,
temp janitor at Walmart

hahahahaha you should pick up a physics book before you start writing stupid shit
>>
>>36151769
>Changing your insulin level doesn't make you eat less.
actually...
>>
>>36151787
Not that guy, but you should maybe stop being a fatass before you try to tell people how to lose weight
>>
File: fineman.jpg (37 KB, 751x503) Image search: [Google]
fineman.jpg
37 KB, 751x503
>>36151787
>I was just pretending XD
>>
>>36151802
not actually

eating less is the only thing that will make you eat less.
>>
>>36151803
It's okay fatty, no one is judging you here.
>>
>>36151825
lol, good try, champ

but only fat people spit fatlogic, and you're the only one doing that.
>>
>>36151822
Pooping less is the only thing that will make you poop less?
>>
>>36151501
>>36151519
He doesn't deny (although throughout the video it seems, at times, he does) that calories in < calories out doesn't work.
My dad is a diabetic and he will tell you the same thing as this guy does. This is after he lost around 18kg when we switched to low carb meals at dinner.

For people that are interested:
If you want to watch a basic explanation of the obesity epidemic in the US watch 0:00 to 12:05.

From 12:05 to 17:30 explains what the rest of the video is about and the statement that calories in < calories out is what it eventually boils down to.

17:30 to 43:44 is a lot about the side effects of caloric reduction such as lower basic metabolic rate, exercise leading to more hunger and thus keeping you at the same weight, etc. It basically explains the reason why "unknowing" fatties can't seem to lose weight, e.g. getting a sportsdrink after half an hour on the treadmill containing more calories than you've burned.
This is most likely the part /fit/ will rage about/disagree with.

43:44 to end is about insulin levels affecting weight but he completely leaves out that these "fattening carbohydrates" often don't fill you up which leads to you eating more because you're still hungry.
>>
>>36151841
What you're not understanding is that defecation isn't under your full control.

Consumption, on the other hand, will.

So even if you have super off insulin levels, not eating is still not eating, and it still has the effect of lowing your calories in.

You don't need better regulated insulin to control your appetite. You can literally not eat, even if you're really hungry.
>>
File: pepeonmemesupport.jpg (28 KB, 403x195) Image search: [Google]
pepeonmemesupport.jpg
28 KB, 403x195
Ok, I'm gonna an hero now cuz I don't want to live the rest of my life yo yo dieting from fat to thin(and back to fat), I also want to enjoy food like other regular people.
>>
>>36151851
>switched to low carb meals at dinner

noping the fuck out of this stupid ass thread
>>
>>36151851
My question then (don't have time to watch) is what is the effective way to lose weight. My gf has PCOS and even on 1000 cal per day and 5 days of exercise per week the weight is coming off very slowly, and she's starting to lose motivation.
>>
>>36151872
that's probably the best choice
>>
>>36151890
>My gf has PCOS and even on 1000 cal per day and 5 days of exercise per week the weight is coming off very slow

officially troll'd
>>
>>36151891
Why?
>>
>>36151867
>that defecation isn't under your full control.
Exactly, so stop pushing your retarded analogy, its embarassing. Peolpe DO control the amount of calories they spend, they DO control the amount of calories they consume. Eat a penis
>>
>>36151880
We just left out the potatoes/pasta and ate more vegetables instead. It definitely had less calories than a "normal" dinner which is the reason why I said he lost weight. English isn't my first language so perhaps I could've used different words to get my point across.

>>36151890
He doesn't mention it in this video. Perhaps he does in one of the others.

My main question would be that, if this were true, then why don't keto diets result in significantly more weight loss?
>>
>>36151890
>My gf has PCOS and even on 1000 cal per day and 5 days of exercise per week the weight is coming off very slowly, and she's starting to lose motivation.
Chain her to a bed so she stops gobbling on food at night.
>>
>>36151890
To get insulin levels down. Basically eating fat and fiber and FASTING while avoiding excess protein and carbs. If she has high insulin levels then she needs to break that tolerance and fasting is a good way to do that.

Eating fat downregulates pancreatic hormones, like glucagon and insulin through somatostatin-28. Fiber slows down digestion and thus lowers the insulin response.
Carbs and protein raise insulin and tell the body to store fat and not let it be used as fuel.

When your insulin levels go lower you won't be hungry and feel like shit and you'll just lose weight naturally without any effort.
>>
>>36151938
What? right, people can control how much they eat, so the correct answer to "how do i lose weight" is "eat less" - because that is a step you can take that you can control that will give you the result you desire.
>>
>>36150307
>Increased Insulin level => Obesity

Stopped there.
>>
>>36151943
He does explain it in later videos how people lose weight.
>>
>>36151891
So you're saying "muh genetics" does indeed explain why some people get fat and can't seem to stay in a healthy weight?

It's like once you've been fat that's it, you've ruined your body and now your body will always try to go to that place of being as fat as you once were(homeostasis).

I hope you'll get fat one day and fuck up your homeostasis so much that you'll have to fight every day not to gain weight.
>>
Scientists spent millennia looking for a perpetual motion engine, but the answer was there the whole time - fat people with high insulin spikes. They literally generate energy from nothing!
>>
>>36151998
No, I'm saying that dude should probably just off himself.

anyone can lose weight, obviously, but if you are already giving excuses, you might as well kill yourself, because you will never not be fat, and we would do better if fat people just killed themselves.
>>
>>36152009
Whoa, all these burger flipper physicists. Stand back, Clausius!
>>
>>36151960
thanks pham, appreciate it, I will let her know that.
>>
If it's all hormones, then why the massive increase in obesityrates in America the past 100 years?
>>
Or you know, people could just watch and count what they fucking eat instead of trying weird diets to make themselves feel full when below mantienence.

If you're eating less than you burn you will feel hungry. Suck it up, lardass.
>>
>>36152094
This is actually kind of not true. I mean, if you ate 1500 cals of just carrots, I guarantee you wouldn't be hungry
>>
>>36152049
Eating a high fat diet also is key in several ways. Any diet where you try to lose weight will be a high fat diet because your body is eating its own fat.
The body also can't utilize carbs and fat simultaneously and fat won't be burnt before the carbs in the body. Running on fat already before the body starts to eat its own fat will also keep away cravings from blood sugar spikes and lows. Eating fat and fiber is key as is not grazing like a cow through the day.
>>
>>36152078
See >>36151851
>>
>>36152029
>we would do better if fat people just killed themselves.

First of all I'm not grossly fat, I'm don't even look that fat unless I show my torso. And secondly that statement is pretty edge bro, please watch out, you might accidentally cut somebody with that edge. Thirdly, that "an hero" comment was just tongue and cheek you autistic piece of shit, I'm actually working on getting to a 10% and then start clean bulking from there, faggot.
>>
>>36152114
Yeah, or 1500 kcals of some really fatty meat. You wouldn't want to eat for a day after a meal like that.
>>
>>36152078
Because there is a massive increase in the amount of added sugar in our diets. Sugar when consumed without enough fiber causes instant spikes in insulin, which turns the sugar into fat a lot faster. Sedentary lifestyle contributes a bit, but most of the science is pointing at sugar now.

There's a documentary called "Fed Up" that explains it all.

TL;DR American food has way too much sugar, which is the leading cause in insulin spikes and fat gain.
>>
>>36152114

Not at the time you ate, certainly. But later on.
>>
>>36152119
lol

actually, I would be sad if all the fatties killed themselves, as fatties getting mad is one of life's great joys
>>
Why would fatasses just eat low-cal food to curb their appetite? I usually whip out roasted seaweed when I get hungry
>>
>>36152133
m8, that's like a double cheeseburger from mcdicks

>>36152154
the next day, maybe. I have been eating approximately 150-200 cals of carrots just now, and it's taken me over an hour and a half, and I certainly can't eat any more.
>>
>>36152153

It's not the insulin, it's just the massive increase in energy density. Especially in drinks
>>
>>36152094
>If you're eating less than you burn you will feel hungry. Suck it up, lardass.
Implying naturally skinny people even get that feel.
>>
>>36152167
Because roasted seaweed won't keep a fat fuck satisfied. He'll probably get a family sized pizza before that appetizer hahah.
Seriously there are no systems in the body that aren't controlled through hormones. Body weight is no exception.
>>
>>36152153
Can I ask, what do you think would happen to that sugar (or any calories for that matter) if it didn't trigger an "instant spike" in insulin? Would it just disappear into the ether?
>>
>>36152204
Look, even if he's not satisfied, he can still choose to not continue to eat.

Will that not cause him to lose weight?
>>
>>36152191

There are no naturally skinny people. Just people who aren't gluttons

I guess maybe a person with hyperthyroidism could count as naturally skinny. But that's a significant medical problem of its own.
>>
>>36152220
It would be burnt for body heat mostly
>>
>>36151526
And those that aren't given insulin have hyperglycemia and waste glucose in their urine.

>b-b-but m-m-muh EVIL INSULIN SPIKES! WHEY PROTEIN AND POTATOES MAKE PEOPLE OBESE!!!!
>>
>>36152233
No, because people can't stand feeling hungry, cold and tired for weeks, months and years on end.
That's why yo-yo dieting happens. The body wants to get back to being fat.
>>
>>36152243
So, if you ate tens of thousands of calories of high fiber, low gi food, you think you won't gain weight, but rather, all of those caolies will be burned off as body heat?
>>
>>36152243

If that were true the person would die. It doesn't take much energy to maintain body temperature in normal weather conditions
>>
>>36152220
it would be burnt off as regular short term energy, or digested more slowly.
also this
>>36152243
>>36152190

If you consume 72 grams of sugar (some medium sized sodas) at once, unless you instantly go work out for a long time, your body will just package all that energy as fat right away.
>>
>>36152255
lolwat?
>>
>>36152256
No, what will happen if you do it for months and years is that your body will get used to having that amount of energy.
>>
>>36152256

Maybe you're too fucking weak to ignore hunger but not everyone is. Plus, it dulls over time.
>>
>>36152275

ALL food energy is mostly stored regardless of source. There's no difference between a fat calorie and a sugar calorie, the different paths taken to store them don't matter in the long run.
>>
>>36152238
Or people that just fucked up once in their life by being gluttonous and now they've fucked up their body by getting fat and no matter how much fat they loose they'll always end up at that same weight eventually.

Basically what science tells us that once people get fat that's it, they've fucked up their body for life and now they'll have to life with that their whole life.
>>
>>36152314

Don't matter for body fat, that is, abnormally high insulin spikes are the primary cause of type 2 beetus
>>
>>36152315

That's completely false. Fat people loose weight just like anyone else.

JUST EAT LESS

IT'S NOT HARD
>>
>>36151982

High insulin levels inhibit the usage of stored body fat tho...
>>
>>36152314
Yes but when food energy is stored as fat particularly, it will be the last thing that your body resorts too when using said stored energy.

Look I get that this is a bit of a shock to you, and I felt the same way too (I used to love fat hate threads) but the science is there, and although overeating and sedentary lifestyle still can lead to obesity, they simply aren't the only reasons. I know that it's far easier to assume that they only cause for obesity is laziness, because then it's easy to attack, but unfortunately it's just more complicated than that.
>>
>>36152315
all these fat people excuses.

I just want you to know that that's retarded. But even if it weren't retarded, nobody cares.

We all know why you're fat, and we think you're disgusting. No amount of excuse making will appease anyone but yourself.
>>
>>36152044
kekd
>>
>>36152352

Only in favor of expending glycogen. Which your body must replinish, or you die. And if you haven't eaten a fuck ton of sugar immediately after doing whatever it was that actually required you to move your fat ass, it has to do this via gluconeogenesis, which burns fat.
>>
>>36152367
>fatties making excuses is a bit of a shock to anyone

It really isn't.
Fortunately, normal people wouldn't give a fuck either way, would think you a lazy sack of shit regardless.

It's just a happy coincidence that that also happens to be true in 100% of the cases of fat people.
>>
File: 1445841587881.jpg (18 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1445841587881.jpg
18 KB, 320x287
>>36152349
It's not that simple, m9.

Leptin.
>>
>>36152349
>JUST EAT LESS
>IT'S NOT HARD

That's the point though. If it was really that easy to eat less would there really be a problem. I said it earlier, and I will say it again: I understand that accepting this makes it harder for you to hate fat people, and harder to justify your selfrighteousness.

Here's a compromise, instead of saying "Just eat less" say something like "Just eat things that are better for you"
>>
Fat people act like their hormonal imbalance isn't a direct result of their lack of willpower, and instead want you to believe it's the other way around.

Stop eating shitty food, fat people.
>>
>>36152352
pathways such as insulin acting in the brain to stimulate sympathetic hypothalamic output to adipose can override the direct lipolysis inhibiting effects of peripheral insulin. these become important when eating insulinogenic foods on a caloric deficit

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(15)00350-2
>>
>>36152367

Whether you immediately burn fat on exercise or burn all your glycogen and other short and intermediate supplies is irrelevant for long term body fat. If you eat less than you burn, your body MUST use fat reserves to replinish your glycogen and phosphate system. That or your body is broken and you die. This is basic human physiology.
>>
>>36152266
They would start sweating then?
>>
>>36150307
>hey look I'm a doctor, I have the stethoscope and all
He doesn't even wear a white coat, he just picked that fucking stethoscope for credentials.
>>
>>36152399

FAT PEOPLE HAVE MORE LEPTIN THAN NORMAL PEOPLE. IT'S MADE BY FAT CELLS.
>>
>>36152367
>although overeating and sedentary lifestyle still can lead to obesity
it WILL lead ot obesity*

It's kind of like this guy is teaching this to a class of tumblrinas without trying to trigger them. I get where his assumptions come from, I just don't agree with those and neither does /fit/.
>>
>>36152405

I've been fat. Not obese, but fat. It wasn't fucking hard.
>>
>>36152278
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=glycosuria
>>
>>36152455
It won't lead to obesity for a type 1 diabetic. He has no insulin and will just waste away no matter how much he eats.
Also you are not the voice of fit, piss off.
>>
>>36152472
I've been obese. Shit was INCREDIBLY easy

like incredibly. like, I don't understand what everyone's issue is.
>>
>>36151451
I hate the formulation of all that.
>Hormones set your body weight set point
They don't. Hormones do very specific things and none of those things is triggering some "body weight set point" receptor. They do numerous things that add up to the person eating too much, but the chain is not "Hormones -> Oh no, I'm fat!", the chain is more like "Hormones -> [A LOT of conscious decisions] -> Oh no I'm fat!". The hormones and the body don't give a shit about how fat exactly the body is. There aren't even any sensors in the body that directly inform the brain on it's body fat.

What statements like "It's all the hormones!" do is look at the (extremely long) chain of physiological processes that lead up to the problem, pick out the one that pleases the most and blame it for everything. It's stupid. You could just as well blame the motor cortex for enabling us to grab all the food. Either you look at the whole thing and see what may help those people (and there are many things: appetite suppressants, gastric bypasses, SSRIs, tapeworms, DNP etc), or you could just boil it down to the things in that chain that is in our control: Everything between feeling hungry and stuffing your mouth with poptarts, or right before putting that box of poptarts in the cart.
>>
>>36152503
There isn't only one reason for obesity. That's why it requires individual actions.
>>
>>36152489
Overeating implies an excess of caloric intake compared to caloric expenditure. This will make you fat. No exceptions.
>>
>>36152405
>"Just eat things that are better for you"
How does that make it harder to hate fat people.

We all know what they eat is garbage. Why would that change anyone's opinion? THAT IS WHY WE HATE THEM
>>
>>36152519

Yes there is. Eating too much. That's literally it.
>>
>>36152519
There is only one reason, actually. The obese person has been eating above his TDEE for long enough that he has accumulated enough fat to be classed as obese (swolebros excepted)
>>
>>36152520

A type 1 diabetic will just piss out all their sugar. Their tissues just don't really absorb it. Like having a leak in the gas tank
>>
>>36151382
>>36151476
>>36151514
>>36151519
>>36151541
>>36151568

Calories in/calories out is the truth, but it's not as simple as you mouth-breathers think.

The particular foods and drugs you put into your body, and what types of activities you engage in can have a big effect on "calories out".
>>
>>36152367
Not really. It may be harder for fat people to get fit but it does not mean it is impossible (which some of these people say).

By the way, the degree of obesity is also important in these discussions, yet, it somehow never gets mentioned.

Somehow, as in, people like to argue and call each other names but refuse to listen to each other's opinion and discuss these topics properly.
>>
>>36152568
>what types of activities you engage in can have a big effect on "calories out".
nigger, how do you think this is different from anything that anyone here thinks?

I mean, literally wat
>>
>>36152559
A type 1 diabetic will need insulin or otherwise they'll die. Why do you think the average type 1 diabetic is 10% heavier than a person with a functioning pancreas? Because they can't regulate their insulin levels as good as normal people can.
Still a calorie is a calorie and an excess of calories will make you fat.

>>36152568
It has more effect on "calories in" desu.
>>
>>36152517
well put, homie

fuck these faggots forreal
>>
>>36152568
and also a big effect on calories in. Some food and eating habits just make your hunger go up.
We all know that even doing a 1500 kcal a day diet with jellybeans will fail way before a 1500 kcal a day diet of real food.
>>
>>36152568

Unless you have a fevor or hypothermia, your sedentary energy consumption will be mostly constant.
>>
>>36152568

so eat less calories. if you're fat already, your body has plenty of stored calories.

>but im hunnnnnnnnnngry
>>
>>36152629
It literally makes no difference whether your hunger goes up if you choose not to eat

I mean, what are people even arguing here? Fat people get more hungry more often? Obviously.

Put down the mcdicks, fatty, and start on a whole foods, plant-based diet (forever)
>>
>>36152568

>comes to /fit/
>makes excuses why still fat
>everything is the problem except me
>justifying fatness with theories that don't involve eating too much
>>
>>36152649

Fucking vegans I swear

There's nothing wrong with animal foods as long as you don't overeat
>>
>>36152669
Except for the moral degeneracy and environmental damage... and being a fucking fatass hedonist, you fucking slob.
>>
>>36152669

you're right, there is nothing wrong with animal foods for people who do not overeat. but if someone is fat, then they overeat. if they need to lose massive amounts of weight, a plant-based diet is best. if they want to keep it off, they should stay with the diet and exercise routine they used to keep it off. forever.

or go be fat somewhere else.
>>
>>36152701
That's not me, btw

I'm much meaner on the internet than this guy
>>
Hormones don't, in and of themselves, cause you to gain weight.

They CAN cause you to crave food so much that you eat too much of it. But the actual mechanic at work here is still calories in, calories out. If you were literally locked in a room and only given deficit-level food intake, you would NOT gain weight.
>>
Deciding how much to eat IS still a choice, even if the person doesn't feel like it is.
>>
>>36152701
Fat "vegans" are the worst, tho.
They just say that shit so it seems like they're trying, but they just eat cookies all day

fucking assholes give us all a bad name.
>>
>>36152741
>mental illness is a choice
fuck off
>>
>>36152787
lol
>>
If diet and exercise are useless, why did applying them work in my case and why do they continue to work?

Theories are fine until disproven by even one example, after which the theory must adjust to reality.

I was alive before Amurrica esploded. I saw what dietary change did within a generation. Fatfucks don't do history, but I do.

Thanks, /fit/! Calories in, calories out measurably works. Metrics, use them.
>>
>>36152787
>Implying is not
You decide to remain sick in your comfort zone, fagget.
>>
>>36152618
>>36152629

No. Calories in = 4*g of protein + 4*g of carbs + 9*g of fat that you put into your mouth. That's it.

I think what you're trying to say is that the composition of what you eat can affect your hunger level, and that's true (for the same reason that what you eat affects calories out: the impact foods have on hormones and metabolism,) but it's an irrelevant point.
>>
>>36152825
you sure disproved all of neuroscience with that shitpost
>>
>>36152744

i know man. im not a vegan, but i know there are plenty of fat vegans.

>how can i be fat when i am vegan??
what did you eat today?
>3kg of peanut butter and a bag of oreos
>>
>>36152741

I got diagnosed with "Mild depression and generalized anxiety disorder" when I was 17.

They wanted to put me on medication, I said no, I went to two therapy sessions, but that only helps women, I felt super uncomfortable talking about myself.

What I did was feel like shit for about a year. I managed to finish up school and shit with decent grades, then I started lifting.
I think it changed my hormonal balance, because I was no longer as much of a /sadboybeta/ as I was before.

TL;DR Lifting helped me get over "depression" and anxiety.

That said depression is not a neurological disorder like schizofrenia or some shit.

>inb4notyourpersonalblogkillyourself
>>
>>36152741
>>36152910

I mean to reply to
>>36152787

and

>>36152825
>>
>>36152598

but pooping is like jogging right? because when i poop there are poop calories leaving my body? so i don't have to work out, i just need to poop more?
>>
>>36152787

Again, no, if I lock you in a jail cell and only give you deficit level meals, your mental illness isn't going to keep you fat. Regardless of what's going on in your head, the mechanic at work here is still calories in, calories out.
>>
>>36152910
This happened to me, except I was depressed for considerably longer.

I suppose I still am, but I don't have real confidence or avoidance issues. I'm actually even a little bit scarily aggressive.

Point is, mental health can largely be under your control
>>
>>36152632

I don't think so.

Person A chronically eats basically nothing but grains and french fries at a large deficit while training for a marathon.

Person B eats lots of vegetables, eggs, milk, beef, liver, bone broth, & sweet potatoes at a 150 calorie surplus while doing strength training and HIIT.

Person A's sedentary energy consumption is going to be way lower than when they started and person B's is going to be way higher.
>>
>>36152940
that the actual fuck are you on about?
>>
>>36152974

i just wanted fatty to think she needs to poop more to lose weight :(
>>
>>36152940

If you're trying to bulk, then you need to eat your poop so as to not lose any gains.
>>
>>36152649

GTFO vegan faggot.

>what are people even arguing here?

Try eating some meat, might help your reading comprehension, not to mention your disposition.
>>
>>36152832
Unless these foods or drugs affect you basic metabolic rate, how will they affect "calories out"?
>>
>>36153012

GOPAD
>>
>>36153017
lol
My question pertained to the fact that these posters seem to be "arguing" that fat people are disadvantaged by their hormones because their hormones caused them to be hungier more often.

But everyone knows that fatties are hungry all of the time. As an excuse, it is meaningless because it is already everyone's implicit assumption.

Vegan have higher IQs btw
as evidenced by your utter failure to understand the rhetorical nature of that question and the meaning behind asking it.
>>
>>36153032

That's exactly my point. Calories in/calories out is true, but what you eat and the types of activities & behaviors you're adapted to have an effect on your BMR. (A big one!)

Eating nothing but sugar at a large deficit while jogging for 2 hours a day for a month is going to have all kinds of whack effects on your hormones which is going result in your BMR tanking.
>>
>>36152947
obviously, but the overeating behavior itself isn't usually a choice

the same could be said about tying a patient with ocd to a chair to prevent compulsions, or with autism to prevent self-injury stereotypy
>>
>>36153167
>behavior isn't a choice

This is among the most absurd threads I've ever read on /fit/
>>
>>36153167
Or with a smoker smoking?
>>
>>36153186
http://youtu.be/tTCSfx47R1w?t=30m16s

totally a choice right?
>>
>>36153211
yes, or any other drug addiction
>>
>>36153230
I'm not sure anyone would call that "behavior"

But we can settle on that: Fat people are literally retarded.

And to be fair, I'm not sure you can call anything they do "behavior." I wonder how sapient they actually are on a regular basis
>>
>>36153167

>overeating behavior itself isn't usually a choice

WAT
>>
>>36153242
Literally every smoker I know that quit smoking and kept away from nicotine did it by simply not smoking. Every person that I saw trying stuff like nicotine gums, patches or vaping either failed completely after a few weeks or got hooked on vaping, which doesn't count.
>>
>>36153339
I used to smoke a pack a day, then quit like it was nothing.

About a decade later, I picked up vaping for no reason, and now I vape every day because IT'S COOL AS FUCK.

God, that shit is awesome.
>>
I mean, carbs being responsible for obesity explains why there are literally no skinny Asians, they hardly ever eat meat, it's all rice and vegetables. Fat lards, every one of them.
>>
>>36150307
ITT: We find out /fit/ can't handle evidence about weight gain that isn't "they eat more."

top shelf kek's all around
>>
>>36153402
Because "they eat more" is literally the reason
>>
>>36153419

lel
>>
>>36153419
Of course it is. But that doesn't mean there aren't other factors that also play a role, however small.
>>
>>36153501
Of course there are factors. Fat people aren't adults, so that makes it harder.
>>
File: genetics.jpg (36 KB, 727x394) Image search: [Google]
genetics.jpg
36 KB, 727x394
>I'm fat because muh genetics/hormones
>>
>>36153339
>muh anecdotes
>>
>>36153691
>Smoker with zero willpower detected
>>
>>36152405
>instead of saying "Just eat less" say something like "Just eat things that are better for you"
They're the same thing.
>>
File: 1434974395885.jpg (157 KB, 921x741) Image search: [Google]
1434974395885.jpg
157 KB, 921x741
>>36152568
>can have a big effect on "calories out"
No, it can not. It does definitely change how you treat and see food, though, and that is the main issue. Someone who is obese certainly has some sort of eating disorder, except they eat too much instead of too little.

Eating crap like sugar is pretty important, though. But CICO remains perfectly true, it's just that sugar is so close to how your body needs it's energy that it barely has to do anything to "convert" it.

Just eat less.
>>
>>36151704
But it will, in actual fact, cause you to lose weight.
>>
>>36152910
>meme "illness"
>>
>>36152367
> body stores energy in fat with the express purpose of consuming that energy later since it does not need that energy now
> "it will be the last thing your body resorts to when using said stored energy"

There is a limit to how much energy your body can get from the fat, and once you're requiring more energy than that it'll turn to anything else it can get energy from, but getting it from fat is exactly what your body wants to do.

95% of weight loss attempts fail, but not because the body is unable to lose weight, but because the person attempting are not strong enough to actually change their lifestyles.

The body actually does making thinner harder, because it sees that it has maintained such a weight for a long time and that this is probably "good". But the way it makes it harder is by increasing your appetite and forcing you to feel more hunger. Your body is unable to defy the laws of physics and would not do such a thing just to spite you.
>>
File: nigga u wot.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nigga u wot.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
>>36150307

> nephrologist discussing endocrinology
> 'vinegar' somehow plays a role
> fructose contributing to insulin resistance when it doesn't stimulate nearly as high of an insulin spike as glucose

pls go and stay go

t. triggered physiology grad student
>>
>>36151851
>exercise leading to more hunger and thus keeping you at the same weight

So it does work if you have even a bit of willpower.

Another muh genetics, muh weight gain is out of my hands apologist.
>>
Some anecdotal evidence as a type 1 diabetic, when my basal rate was set too high I was hungry all the time, ate constantly gained a ton of weight, toned back my basal to reasonable levels, now no longer hungry and can eat very little in a day. The hunger urges were legit super strong, I could eat a huge meal and a few hours later be very hungry again and it was very hard to resist these urges, but now that my insulin is control its pretty easy to resist the urge to eat.
>>
>>36152405
I think everyone is confusing easy with simple. Eating less isn't easy (feeling hungry sucks) but it's pretty fucking simple. There's not a whole lot to caloric deficits. It's just that if you don't have some minimal level of willpower (a word I'm not fond of because it lacks a precise meaning, but I hope my use of it is clear enough here) initially then you're gonna give up or worse, delude yourself into thinking you're eating below maintenance when you're not.

Without exception everyone I've ever talked to who "just can't seem to lose weight" no matter how hard they say they try is failing to do one important thing: accurately and precisely (I mean those words in the sense physicists use them) measure their caloric intake. If you're not measuring you're guessing. And if you've never measured before then it should come as no surprise when your guesses are off by a factor of 1.5 or even more.
>>
>>36154609
Honestly, precise measurements aren't really necessary. It really is super difficult to get fat on a whole foods, plant-based diet.

Once you stop eating straight garbage or extracted parts of foods like olive oil, it becomes kind of hard to overeat.

The only shit you can really do it with is nuts and avocados
>>
>>36151787
closed systems aren't magic anti-gravity physics defying rooms or whatever the fuck you believe. even so, weight doesn't function in a closed system because it's a result of exterior stimuli

stop watching "a beautiful mind"
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.