[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Gorillas so jacked if they only eat plants? Is protein
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10
File: 4628109-1900150117-goril[1].jpg (179 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
4628109-1900150117-goril[1].jpg
179 KB, 1200x801
Why are Gorillas so jacked if they only eat plants? Is protein a meme? Are protein shakes absolutely useless?
>>
1. There are lots of proteins in plants.
2. Protein is still overrated yes.
3. Protein shakes are a fraud, but the placebo effect is strong.
>>
>>36133864
Gorillas =/= humans
>>
>>36133864
oh it's this thread again.

someone will point out that they're manlets, then everyone will quote it with a funny reaction image

now fuck off
>>
File: KIF_0017.jpg (936 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
KIF_0017.jpg
936 KB, 1600x1200
>>36133878
Yea, I know that there is protein in plants, but I do feel as well that protein is incredibly overrated. Also, what do you mean by the placebo effect?
>>
>>36133864
Gorilla genetics are designed to operate on a low protein diet. Human genetics are not. Humans are always going to use the vast majority of protein we consume for energy because that's what is best for our survival. You need barely any protein to build muscle, in this sense: Let's assume that muscle is 80% water, which is probably less than the actual number, which varies. That means there's 200 grams of protein per pound of muscle. That's nothing. If your body was designed to use almost all of the protein you eat to build muscle, you'd have no problem getting huge.

Unfortunately, we're all human.
>>
>>36133864
You guys are all retarded.

Everyone knows that gorillas follow the bodybuilding msg board ever popular oats in the morning, eat every 3 hours, chicken breast, hard boiled egg whites, no drinking, no drugs, they sleep at least 8 hours every night, they don't party, they very rarely engage in sexual intercourse to keep test levels high.

Thats the only possible explanation. How else would they get muscular? It makes no sense. They have to do these things/

Gorillas are on roids, without PCT
>>
>>36133864

Genetics you spastic, even an emaciated stationary gorilla would be more jacked than you. Protein is useful but in reality you dont need too much, shakes are primarily good as a source of carbs.
>>
>>36133904
So should I not care about getting my shakes in and just focus on eating calories?
>>
>>36133900
>placebo effect
can sometimes improve a patient's condition simply because the person has the expectation that it will be helpful.
>>
>>36133864
they weigh 400lbs and lifestyles that don't allow for them to become obese. They're not particularly "jacked" so much as simply very large animals in general.
>>
>>36133921

More or less, but shakes often have a good mix of easy uptake calories and stop you having to cook constantly. Unless you are working out 6 days a week you probably wont be needing specific protein supplementation.
>>
>>36133921
You should primarily subsist on the semen from the penises of black gentlemen.
>>
>>36133921
im no expert i try to get as much protine as possible
>>
File: 80klnwcity_figure12_large.jpg (298 KB, 1024x723) Image search: [Google]
80klnwcity_figure12_large.jpg
298 KB, 1024x723
Why are Gorillas so jacked if they only eat plants?

>There's protein in many of the plants in their diet
>Genetics helps them keep more dense muscle than most other primates
>Their gut bacteria process cellulose and turn it into short chain fatty acids
>They eat bugs and insects
>Plenty of other reasons

>Are protein shakes absolutely useless?
>3. Protein shakes are a fraud, but the placebo effect is strong.
No, they're just marketed well and are mostly drank by people who gain very little benefit from them and don't understand the processes of protein in the human body (just like 99% of /fit/)
>>
Gorillas have a similar but very different digestive system compared to humans. They have a real large colon which holds all the plant matter they consumes, and a huge amount of bacteria which ferments cellulose and other parts of plant cells. This turns almost all their food into amino acids and fatty acids.

Humans however, do not have the the same intestinal capabilities, as they have a shortened colon and less bacteria suited for digesting raw plant matter. We have instead developed very efficient pancreatic bile and small intestine processes to break down animal fats and proteins.

Despite being mostly vegetarians, gorillas eat a high fat, high protein diet due to their digestive adaptations. Humans are also biologically made to run on a high fat/protein diet, but we have to eat higher up on the food chain.
>>
File: 1446405728413.jpg (27 KB, 289x345) Image search: [Google]
1446405728413.jpg
27 KB, 289x345
>>36133979
>No, they're just marketed well and are mostly drank by people who gain very little benefit from them and don't understand the processes of protein in the human body (just like 99% of /fit/)

Please educate me, I have no idea what protein even is, my knowledge doesn't go beyond "MORE PROTEIN = MOR MUSCLE"
>>
SS + GOBANANAS
>>
>>36133985

I had a colonoscopy and they kept remarking that i had a very long colon - am i gorillamode?
>>
God you cunts are fucking DUMB.

These fucking animals eat a fucking truck load of a food everyday.

A fully grown adult male Gorilla will eat on average 18 KILOGRAMS of plants a day.

Do you realize how much grams of protein is in 18 KILOGRAMS of plants foods?
>>
>>36133979
>Their gut bacteria process cellulose and turn it into short chain fatty acids
wrong

do you realise cellulose is basicly an endless chain of glucose attached to eachother
>>
>>36134020
The doctor was implying that he'd like to try to put his peepee in your poohole
>>
>>36134026
>18kg
>a truckload

Never gonna make it
>>
>>36134020
He was prolly coming on to you, desu
>>
>>36133997

Your body doesnt need a huge amount and will just excrete whatever is left over. I had a medschool lecture once detailing that protein shakes just give you expensive piss.

If you are doing an intense workout program ~ 6 days a week then yes you might find use in supplementation but otherwise unfortunately our species is designed to survive at shit levels, you'd be surprised at what levels people can get by with reference to diet. It's not designed to turn alpha at unlimited resources.

Protein shakes can be a huge help however if they are more comprehensive, with carbs, creatine etc. So any protein isolate is a waste of money, but get an "all-in-one" or better yet mix your own oats, bananas, creatine and dextrins.
>>
>>36134020
No, you are a fremen.
>>
>>36133893
/thread
>>
>>36133997
Proteins are groups of fatty chains of up to 9 amino acids that we can only get by eating nuts, seeds, legumes, plants, meats, insects etc.

Protein is misunderstood and meme'd on /fit/ because the idea is that more protein = more gainz when studies continually show the limitations and lackings of this one dimensional thought process.

30g is the maximum most people can process in one sitting, and while it's possible to have 100g+ per day actually be beneficial (see: body building, The Rock, etc) in 99% of normal human function this is nothing short of ridiculous.
When, how and which are all important considerations of protein consumption and everyone on this board routinely fucks that up too.
>>
>>36134056
Gorillas != humans
more like
>>
How come fish can breathe underwater?
Are lungs a meme? Is breathing air from the atmosphere absolutely useless?

To answer your question OP, a gorilla is a different fucking species, holy fucking shit the veganfags are dense.
>>
>>36133864
Hey guys, elephants only eat twigs and leaves, how come they weigh over 15,000 lbs?
>>
>>36134027
Educate yourself before you say dumb shit
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001227
http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/farm/content/microbiology.html

keyword here is "rumen"
>>
>>36134026
>>36134040
>>
File: .......jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
.......jpg
12 KB, 259x194
>>36133864

maybe mods do all these retarded bait threads to get post counts in order to justify their existence as good mods increasing 4chan traffic.
>>
>>36133878
>protein shakes are a placebo
>nutrition is a placebo
>macros are a placebo
>science is a placebo
>how can our muscles be real if our shakes aren't real
Holy autism
>>
>>36134057
>Proteins are groups of fatty chains
wrong
>of up to 9 amino acids
wrong
>>
>>36133904
>Gorilla genetics are designed to operate on a low protein diet.
Plants have plenty of proteins. Eating meat for protein is a meme.
>Human genetics are not.
Citation needed. Even if it is so, plants still have well enough protein and meat for protein is still a meme.
> Humans are always going to use the vast majority of protein we consume for energy because that's what is best for our survival.
Carbs are best for energy. If your body needs to use protein for energy you are doing something seriously wrong in your eating habits. I recommend a high carb low fat (eat healthy fats) diet, and protein according to your bodyweight ofc.
>>
>>36134048
>ignorant person trying to sound intelligent; the post

Here I'll explain it to you, since you obviously have no idea.

Here in bodybuilding/power-lifting and any other similar activity, it has been estimated that we need approximately 0.64g to 1.25g protein to build and maintain strength and muscle. It varies person to person, but the "safe" point for most is just to consume 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight. So if you want to be a lean 160 pounds, consume 160 grams of protein to "be safe"

Moving along. For example, let's use the 160 pound lean person, they eat 160g protein per day, but the 160lbs person also has a calorie-cap to maintain his weight. That requires eating food that has enough protein, but that doesn't go over his caloric-cap. Protein power supplementation can help one get their protein in, without using many calories, because it is a lean source of protein, that doesn't require any cooking or preparing.

You teacher is a dumb cunt and you're not smarter than us.

Please stay rekt, child of mine. Maybe I'll come teach your class one day.
>>
>>36133921
Fuck the shakes, just make sure you eat enough calories, healthy food and consistently. REAL FOOD.
>>
>>36134070
>dumb shit
> ''The bacteria produce an arsenal of enzymes that break down these carbs into simple sugars''
>>
>average person could gain 20g of muscle per day
>protein shills still think you need to eat 200+g of protein to gain 20g of muscle(which is also protein) a day
lmao you guys are dum
>>
>>36134057
Can you at least go to fucking wikipedia to check what yu're "talking" before you literally start shitting on your keyboard and hope something coherent forms.
>>
>>36133938
>>36133979
I'm 242lbs and on roids. You know how hard it is to get enough protein in my diet without shake supplementation? Pretty fuggin hard.

>>36134057
Studies show you need 0.86g/lb when cutting, 0.72g/lb when bulking. And that's just being natty.
>30g is how much you can process in one sitting
Are you retarded? You realize it takes hours for you to digest food? You realize you can eat one meal a day and your body will still use the macros efficiently?
Get the fuck out with your mom science.
>>
>>36134057
>protein=fat
lmao this guy
>>
>>36134093
>http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/farm/content/microbiology.html
This was followed by research looking at what was actually produced during rumen fermentation. It turned out that one product, short-chain fatty acids, provided a large proportion of a cow’s energy needs (Annison and Bryden, 1998).
>>
>>36134090
>Studies and objective examination are ignorance
>I disagree with what you said therefore protein power supplementation is great and you're dumb

Not him, but you just proved him right, you're an idiot with no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>36133904
>200 grams of protein per pound of muscle

That's almost half, anon.
>>
>>36133911
Reddit-tier
>>
>>36134080
>citation needed
We literally can't digest the vast majority of plant matter, we need to eat enormous quantities of shitty low protein foods in order to maintain muscle mass.
>>
>>36134123
I know m8 was just pointing out that cellulose is a long chain of glucose
>>
>>36134093
>http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001227
we can actually get some nutrition from the complex carbohydrates such as cellulose, hemicellulose, and pectin that make up plants' cell walls. The bacteria produce an arsenal of enzymes that break down these carbs into simple sugars, which are then in turn fermented to create short-chain fatty acids that human cells can absorb
>>
>>36134124
>eating extra protein to meet your macros is dumb
>hurr durr the other guy said medical lecture so he must have correct sources
>doesn't actually provide sources
>let's go with hearsay and disprove boatloads of scientific study
Where is your argument?
>>
>>36134090

Wasn't trying to sound intelligent m8. Im a 4th year med student who loves lifting and i was just saying what ive read from studies and been taught. We aren't taught more than a single lecture on weightlifting so im more than happy to be wrong, in fact i would like to be as i buy shakes.

I just had something to add to the discussion.
>>
>>36134090

Broscience making a fast and furious comeback.
>>
>>36134057
Subtle bait
>>
>>36134118

I would count roids as an intense workout program, you are of course going to need more than a normal human amount because you are going to be building more than a human amount of muscle.
>>
>>36134178

You know the vast majority of studies show protein supplementation to be non-inferior at best to placebo groups.
>>
>>36134186
Fair enough. I apologize, I was very harsh. I didn't mean to be.

>>36134193
How is that broscience? lmao, everything I said has come from actual scientific research that has been done on lifters. The fact you think it's broscience just tells me you have no idea what's going on and you're just using buzz words to disregard subject matter that you have no idea about.
>>
File: 6T9r3.jpg (111 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
6T9r3.jpg
111 KB, 720x540
>>36134178
He made points about protein being marketed and drank mostly by idiots with reference to widely studied stuff.
He commented on the processes of the human body in relation to protein and even countered it and offered a specific alternative

You attacked him like a child instead of his argument, outlined a situation unrelated to the point at hand with bodyweight and protein measures for no reason or reference

Granted, conventional /fit/ wisdom deals with protein:carbs:fat ratios vs cals, but that's exactly what the counter argument was about in the first place and shitting on people with literally nothing to offer and no information other than an unrelated made up scenario is the epitome of a shitposter.

I don't have an argument, I'm just pointing out that you don't either.
>>
File: 1394645667786.jpg (35 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1394645667786.jpg
35 KB, 572x380
>>36134073
>make up shit no one said
>calls out your own autism

Why did you even type that out and not keep it to yourself?
>>
File: image.png (264 KB, 623x416) Image search: [Google]
image.png
264 KB, 623x416
>>36134212
>You know the vast majority of studies show protein supplementation to be non-inferior at best to placebo groups.

You are actually retarded. Nobody ever said protein powder was magic. It's just a way to hit your daily protein goals.

If your daily goal is 150g protein, and you have had 100g protein for the day from food, and you need another 50g but it's too late to cook a meal up or whatever, you can just take 5 seconds to put 2 serves of whey into a glass of water or milk and there you go, 50g+ of whey downed in 5 seconds.

That's what the fucking protein powder is for, you fucking absolute cock snap. No ones claiming it to be anything other than what it is, A FUCKING SUPPLEMENT TO YOUR NUTRITIONAL GOALS.
>>
What a gorillas body can metabolize on its own and at what pace is not relevant to what a human can do.
>>
That's like saying 'why are black people so dark? Is tanning useless?'
>>
>>36134224
I'm not the original poster that 2 people argued against, you troll.

>>36134229
He literally said protein shakes are a placebo. Do you lack reading comprehension?
>>
>>36134266
You seriously need to work on your bait game.
>>
>>36134265
No one wants to be black though.
>>
Shit thread has turned even shitter. Jesus.
>>
>>36134027
>>36134093

You do realize that cellulose, aka. a dietary fiber, does both when the correct enzyme is present?
>>
>>36133864
I wonder what the result would look like if you put a gorilla on steroids?
>>
>>36133864
Maybe gorillas would be fucking JACKED if they ate big and you may be gave them test as well, maybe those gorillas are all DYEL by gorilla standards
>>
>>36135190
>thinking a fucking gorilla needs test injections
they arent low test betas like us humans
>>
>Is not eating birdseeds a meme?
>How come birds can fly then?
>Enjoy not making flying gains?

How retarded do you have to be, FFS?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.