[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no running thread What are you doing this weekend, cardio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 460x230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 460x230
>no running thread
What are you doing this weekend, cardio compadres?

Ran 11 miles this morning
>>
>>36086563
Gonna run 5k tomorrow. Just started after like 6 months out and trying to build myself up, alongside lifting my running is taking a bit of a backseat but I'm hoping once my body adapts to the weight training I can make some serious running gains.
>>
HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE STUPID FUCKING SHIN SPLINTS

IVE BEEN STRETCHING AND ICING AND TOOK TWO WEEKS OFF COMPLETELY

AND THEY'RE STILL FUCKING HERE FUCK I JUST WANT TO BE GOOD AT RUNNING
>>
Ran 7 miles yesterday & gonna do 7 sets of 300 repeats today.
>>
>>36086634
Are you heel striking?
>>
>>36086563
/fit/ doesnt do cardio. Everytime they do that survey about half of the people say they dont do cardio at all and another 40% have shit times.

anyways its finally getting warm here so I see more qt cardio bunnies on my route
>>
Did like 10 km today but it was like a tragic comedy run

At 4.5 km I realized I lost my car keys. I was doing a long run so was going pretty easy so I turned 360 degrees and moonran as fast as I can looking for them. Car was still there, keys no where to be found, walked another 4.5 km on the path and ran another 2.5 back. Spent like 3 hours looking for my keys but in the end had to call my gf to bring me the spare.

I'll do a fast race pace 5k tomorrow. Haven't done one in a while.

Also I'm planning to set up a routine but i'm not sure how to plan it around my routine. I'm doing a PHAT routine now and I was thinking about this

M: Lower Strength
T: Upper Strengthen
W: Off (long run, easy pace)
T: Lower Hyper
F: Push (steady state run or tempo)
S: Pull (fartlek run)
S: Off

Is this any good?
>>
>>36086689
Running when its warm is shit though

Nothing better than hearing ice crunching under your feet and sucking in lung full of cold air on a run
>>
can any Britbongs recommend some really good running shoes, not bothered about the price.

UK only please as I guess a good place will actually measure your feet
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 229x220
>>36086617
Lifting and running can be hard to manage, they need to be balanced, you can easily get too exhausted to do one or the other. But keep it up man.

When I was in high school track I told my coach I do really light weight training and he got asshurt. He told me "every ounce you gain lifting is like 100 pounds on the mile" but it never phased me. I was always one of the top ten kids.

>>36086634
>be toe-striker
>never have shin splints
>can't relate
feelsgoodman

>>36086689
You should do cardio
>>
>>36086840
i dont like cold weather
>>
>>36086807
Rip car keys

Your schedule looks good, but I'd recommend giving some time to recover following a tempo run. Go get em my negro
>>
>>36086689
who cares about other people times? It's all relative.

>>36086840
speak for yourself perfect temperature for me is like 15-20 degrees. Just enough for tshirt,
>>
After weeks of snow and 10 degree days, it hit 55F today
Went for a short run because it was so beautiful outside, and damn do I need to do more cardio. Huffing and puffing after 2 miles, plus my legs were tired from high volume squats yesterday
>>
>>36086943
I think I'll switch my interval/speed play and do race pace last so I get a day off after it. Also I don't think I'll run a tempo for more than 5k.
>>
>>36086945
I was just saying why there are never any running threads on /fit/

idrgaf about times
>>
>>36086963
do what I do

Run at recovery pace after heavy workouts
>>
>>36086563
>live in germany
>temperatures still pretty low
>it's rainy most of the time this month

tomorow will be the first day in a long time with temps over 10° C but it will be raining. Did ~6 Km slow paced jogging on wednesday when it was dry and 0° but I just put on the warm running clothes. Running in the rain can be fun if it isn't too cold but idk. Should I just use the gym treadmill or fuck it and get wet? (I don't like running with a cape or shit like that). At least the paths aren't crowed with peasants in this shitty weather.
>>
>>36087128
I don't really recommend running in the rain if it's cold. Doesn't sound too healthy. Running in the rain in summer is quite fun and you can do it without a shirt. I'd say go safe and do treadmill. That's what I do even If I loath it and never do more than 5k or I die of boredom
>>
>>36087184
Yeah you might just be right. That's just the problem with the tread, it's boring even with music or a tv on the ceiling of the gym.

>nice for tracking times exactly
>testing limits
>short warm ups for lifting
>high speed cardio
>fucking 20-40 minutes of the same view

at least the cardio bunnies are working their asses on bikes/steppers etc. in front of the treads but that gets boring after 5 minutes...
>>
my ankles have been too sore recently

only made it 2 miles today. I usually do 20 miles a week
>>
>>36086634
Fucking this
My actual cardio is fine but I can't fucking run because 2 sessions cripple my legs for a week.
Is it seriously just form or what?
>>
>>36086634
>>36087842
it's because you guys over-stride and heelstrike

That sends a shock every time you strike = splints

Stop over-striding for starters
>>
I gotta ask, would running affect my SS routine? I'm already nearing the end of the routine, where I will switch to an intermediate workout. I have done running before, but not alongside a proper gym routine.
>>
>>36088003
depends how serious you get into it
>>
>>36088050
I only plan on doing cardio when cutting, and I'm starting cutting, as I will be changing my routing very soon. So it's just a way to burn more calories off for me.
>>
>>36088069
if you don't plan to compete and just do it for general fitness it won't affect your progress too much. It becomes a problem when you train hard for both. If running is just a secondary thing to your lifting then focus on lifting with running on secondary level. If you feel running affects your recovery time or progress just dial it down, either in intensity or mileage

I've been on a power-lifting routine till last week and now switched to PHAT and ran around 25 km per week and had no problems whatsoever
>>
Did my usual 7km (lap and a half) this morning around Albert Park lake. Melbourne, Aus is a glorious city on a day like today, clear skies and warm.
I do this run at least 3 times a week whilst lifting a 3way split each week, sometime i stretch it out to 11km, but i usally get bored so opt for the shorter run and pace it up.
I have run a half marathon before but fuck it was the mental challenge more than the physical, i just get so fucking bored. Ive ridden my bike 200km over a day and thats was less boring, more shit to see i guess.

And to the anon running in snow, seriously jelly here, i love running in the cold, makes you feel so alive.
>>
I wish it finally stopped raining and <5°C so I can get back to trail running, I miss it so much.
>>
>>36086563
Just broke my 7 minute record by 5 seconds.
Goddamn its fucking uplifting as fuck for me. Starting at not being able to hit a 10 minute mile and being here feels great.
>>
>>36088685
How long did it take you to progress?
>>
>>36088512
I feel

>>36088685
Keep it up bro
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 413x594) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 413x594
So I'm in the army and sometimes we do these gay "group" runs at a snails pace. I'm pretty tall and they always hurt my calves because we stay in a formation and I can't stride out at all like I'm used too. I feel they are going to give me shin splits, what's the best way to do these runs that won't fuck up my shins so I can keep up my marathon training?
>>
>>36091858
Try not to heel strike when running so slow. I get the same thing, slower I run the harder it is on my ankles.
>>
>>36086563
Lol at running and wasting calories you could be using to build muscle. Congratulations on being a 100lbs weakling.
>>
>>36091858

Americans vs Europeans in one pic
>>
>>36086854
Saucony Omni
>>
>>36093548
how weak are you that you can't eat like a champ?
>>
Anyone ever had stress fractures in your feet? Got one now, resting up. Anything else I can do to help it heal?
>>
File: 1453357907319.png (220 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1453357907319.png
220 KB, 500x372
Been trying to enlist for a year and a half now.
The strength part is easy for me, but the 1.5 mile/2.4km run would have killed me.

Never done a cardio sport as a kid and at 20 and 195lbs/91kg my best time was around 14 mins. The pass is 11:11.

For the past few months I've had it licked hitting a good 10:30 and proud, but the Christmas break knocked me out and I struggle to reach 10:50.

I moved my schedule to put less on lifting and now it's 3 runs a week. Also I'm doing my first ever cut.
Should I just keep doing my "1.5 mile, rest, 20 minutes doing 60/120s" routine, or will doing the occasional 7min mile and 5km help my 1.5mile?

Sorry for the blogpost, but I feel like context was neeeded.
>>
>>36091858
When going slow, it's all about the tip toes man.
I recommend adding jump ropes to your routine to build calf/foot endurance.
>>
File: shin-stretch300.jpg (7 KB, 300x276) Image search: [Google]
shin-stretch300.jpg
7 KB, 300x276
>>36086634
I don't know if I really had shin splits ever (never went to a doctor) but my shins hurt a lot when I significantly increase my mileage. They hurt when I started to ran, after I ran and sometimes just when I walked.
It happened in two different periods, everytime, my solution was to:
>Do pic related after the run
>Put my shins under ice cold shower right after
>Continue to run according to the program even if it hurts.
That could be downright stupid, but it worked for me.
>>
I'm military and used to have to run in boots frequently, often with a lot of extra weight. I had brutal shin splints/stress fractures as a result.

The only way to heal them is to stay off them for a long time, like several months at least. Mine didn't fully go away for like a year, but they were notably better after like 4-6 months.

Also calf compression sleeves help a lot if you have to push through the pain.
>>
>All those runners destroying their joints with 5-10km
>Rode 38km on my bike and enjoyed the landscape
>>
The way I deal with shin splints is just to smear my shins with painkiller gel after a run.
Though I do sprints rather than distance, so maybe it's different.
>>
>>36086563
I biked for 3 hours yesterday.
>>
>>36094373
enjoy erectile disfunctions
>>
I'm planning to run half marathon at the end of the summer so I am training for that. Sometimes I feel like a moose since there's so god damn much snow over here, but I guess it's worth doing it so I can say "I ran half marathon" to my imaginary friends.
>>
>>36094373
I could cite you a paper on BMD and hip fractures but I don't want to.
>>
Nice distances. Should I stop running immediately after my form degrades? It seems like the best thing to do.

Barefoot masterrace reporting in. I can't tell if I'm stepping on dogshit during my night runs but it feels so light I can't complain. You guys should try it. It's like wearing shoes that get stronger each time you use them.

What other things do you guys do for conditioning? I'm doing a gymnastics routine and they work great together. Aerobic gains convert to shorter rest times between workout sets. Other than that, tibialis strengthening and single leg squats have been great for my knees and haven't had shin splints even though I just started running again.
>>
>>36095581
Only thing I do is lifting and sometimes crosstrain inside on elliptical or stationary bikes.

I had problems with core strength before I started lifting and on longer runs I would slouch and my back started to kill me but squats and deadlifts and some core training fixed that better than I thought. When my form breaks down (this usually only happens on long runs if I'm tired) I slow down a bit. No point in trying to maintain a pace if my form is horrible. Squats are great for runners, short or long distance
>>
Any sprinters here? No track nearby but planned out a good spot to sprint back and forth, right on a hill too. Helps with throttling down and up.
>>
>>36086634
What's your BMI?
>>
>>36095645
I follow this guy's form and running pace. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

Since I only run once a week and have only ran three weeks I only make roughly 2 kilometers before form degrades. But I think I'll keep it at this pace rather than slugging it out with bad form. Makes my runs nice and quick but still productive.
>>
>>36086563
Today's a day off.
Yesterday had 4.5km warmup and then 10km @ slightly below 3:50/km.
>>
>>36095893
Yea I run kinda the same but not barefoot, but with shoes with minimal drop between toe and heel. I hit exactly like him and that is pretty hard on your calfs until you get used to it. Basically don't over stride and hit with your midfoot. His form is similar to what those top Kenians use.

I can't strike like that downhill though and I default to heel strike downhill or when I'm too tired. If I try to keep that form downhill I feel like I put brakes on. I can keep that form for like 10km easily now. It broke like shit first few months but just keep at it and you get better. Try doing slow easy pace runs trying to maintain the form for long periods of time.
>>
File: hr.png (213 KB, 378x504) Image search: [Google]
hr.png
213 KB, 378x504
Picrelated isn't from weight; I'm 9%BF. But it could be cardio related. Do lots of heavy doubles four days a week, haven't done cardio since high school.

Started running a mile most mornings a few days ago, have an 8:30 time so I'm pretty out of shape from a cardio perspective. What is the 3x5 of cardio? Things that are time efficient that would lower my blood pressure and get my heart rate into the 60s without interfering with my lifting.
>>
File: 1427133376230.png (104 KB, 457x486) Image search: [Google]
1427133376230.png
104 KB, 457x486
>>36086563
okay, so I'm the typical fitfag who drank rippletoe koolaid and is currently milking the last few gains out of SS

Recently, I've realized my cardio condition is just pathetic, laughable. I can't keep up more than 10-15 minutes in a soccer game without almost puking. It's ridiculous.

How to improve that?

Anybody who have some experience in combining lifting (will switch to Texas Method in <1 month) with a decent but not too taxing running routine?

I just come back from a 4 mile run, in 38minutes, and boy it killed me
>>
>>36096026
If you just start out don't worry too much, just run, optimally on a regular base.

One tip that I would give you is that running isn't like lifting where you need to improve your time every week. That will only lead to injury and you stalling out. If you push it to the max you are running in an anaerobic state. Depending on your goals.

here's a better article that explains what I mean
http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/how-to-run-faster/

>>36096057
for starters just do cardio, look at a program like couch to 5k or something and learn to enjoy it.
>>
>>36096057
also I recomend looking into zone training and training paces. Running as fast as you can every time will burn you out
>>
File: trackfig.png (45 KB, 1310x392) Image search: [Google]
trackfig.png
45 KB, 1310x392
>>36095936
Thanks man. I'll keep at it.

And here's some interesting info I got some days ago

>some info on how antioxidant supplementation gets in the way of exercise adaptations.

>www.researchgate.net/profile/Paul_Della_Gatta/publication/51557960_Infusion_with_the_antioxidant_N-acetylcysteine_attenuates_early_adaptive_responses_to_exercise_in_human_skeletal_muscle/links/00463535ecc2b21545000000.pdf

>in summary, your body makes its own antioxidants to lower ROS (reactive oxygen species) that are produced during exercise. ROS leads to tissue damage and muscle fatigue which appears to make antioxidant supplementation good for performance. however, these ROS metabolites also lead to pathways for exercise adaptation, i.e., getting stronger. supplementing antioxidants does that for your body instead, and improves your performance during that workout, but will also reduce the improvements you received because the body is no longer regulating its own ROS and adaptive pathways.

>in this case, it was intravenous supplementation of n-acetylcysteine with eight 27-32 year old men performing cycling.

>for any doubts as to whether this applies to relevant populations (20 something male), doing relevant exercises (eccentrics, isometrics, concentrics), or at relevant doses (like a cup of tea) read their related literature. the sample size appears too small to provide anything generalizable, but i don't know if metabolic pathways would differ too much between person to person. i also don't know the effect sizes or the other studies cited.

>for relevance, fish oil commonly has the antioxidant tocopherol that reduces rancidification, increasing shelf life. fish oil itself also attenuates inflammation, which may not be a good thing as these findings suggest. tea, cocoa, black rice, are among many antioxidant sources.
>>
>>36096093
>>36096113

Thanks, I already do 5-7k 2 times a week, but don't really know how to improve my times without going too much

will try some run at easy pace and some at harder pace
>>
>>36086634

you have to stretch your calves thoroughly before and after running
>>
I´ve been running 40 minutes at between 140-150 bpm for a year now but didn´t get faster the last weeks, should I change the intensity?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.