[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /fit/. I know the basic idea to getting abs is "cut bf".
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: abs-main_full[1].jpg (41 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
abs-main_full[1].jpg
41 KB, 333x500
Ok /fit/. I know the basic idea to getting abs is "cut bf". That's obvious, it makes sense. What I want to know, however, is how exercise affects the abs.

Do they make you look slimmer because they're naturally doing their job better? Or do they just get bigger and exacerbate your big stomach issue until you lose the fat?
>>
>>36058713
Doing ab exercises will make them pop up more, along with doing compounds. Only cutting %bf without exercise will result in skelly mode.
>>
>>36058727
But it's not like the muscle automatically replaces the fat in the area, right? So wouldn't the abs getting bigger mean that the stomach is also getting bigger? Or would the abs getting stronger mean they more tightly pull your gut in with less effort, resulting in atleast net-zero belly-gain?

That's the part I'm confused about, really.
>>
>>36058767
Yes stomach will get bigger if your fat. if your skinny, then your abs getting bigger will actually make you look leaner, as cuts will be more defined

if your losing weight whil building abs, you will look leaner
>>
>>36058814
Ok. So do you think it would be a good idea to focus on ab exercises to improve my posture while I'm trying to cut ~40lbs of fat? I was thinking of exercises that target the lower abs more (and also hamstring exercises to pull my ghetto ass down).
>>
>>36058713
What body fat is that roughly?
>>
>>36058767
>So wouldn't the abs getting bigger mean that the stomach is also getting bigger?
The muscle will not expand indefinetly. 99% will look leaner because it tightens.
>Or would the abs getting stronger mean they more tightly pull your gut in with less effort
Yes
>resulting in atleast net-zero belly-gain?
No.
If you binge you stretch the muscle outwards and this might give a gut appearance if you're a relatively skinny person, but more ab work will counterweight this.

Working your abs will also make it more difficult to pig out like a fatty because the tight muscle will prevent your gut expanding too much unless you binge chronically.
>>
>>36059100
I actually don't eat a lot. At least, not anymore. I'm fat now because I was a shitty teenager.

So I guess I'll be alright. What do you think of >>36059076 though?
>>
>>36059119
Yes. But do both upper and lower abs along with general core work (obliques and back too) so you strengthen your entire diaphram. That way it works like a corset rather than just a plank in the front, if it makes sense.
>>
>>36059172
Yea that makes sense
Last time I tried to lift, I injured myself after a month, so I'm sticking with calisthenics for a while. I know of a bunch of ab exercises, but do you have any that are favorites of yours?
>>
>>36059202
For calisthenics? idk. Crunches and russian twists comes to mind.
>>
>>36059276
I had to look up russian twists, but it turns out I already know what those are. Just didn't know the name.

Fun fact: I lost 10lbs in a month just by fixing my eating habits, which was super easy. Don't eat cause I'm bored, so hard.

I wish I could keep that pace up though, because the idea of a 40-60 month process to lose 40lbs of fat is daunting. Still trying to find a way to make it fun or at least enjoyable for me.

Maybe I should start a new thread to talk about keeping motivated.
>>
>1 hour of dolphin kicks in the pool today with fins
>lower abs are killing me
>mfw
>>
I'm bulking atm.

Will training my abs with cable crunches stop me (I don't mean will it stop fat gain btw) from getting so much of a belly?
>>
>>36058713
This seems like a good thread to ask. Im too short to do a cut but I have a top layer of fat on my obliques and abs, will improving my diet, running and doing ab and oblique exercises get rid of the fat?
>>
Semi related to OP;

What's a good core routine? I've only ever done compounds and some curls here and there.
>>
>>36059340
My tip to stay motivated is to keep the workouts interesting. Make it your hobby, take up cycling, rock climbing or whatever. Make the goal into more than just losing the weight because then it becomes a thing in itself and the weight will come off without feeling like such an effort or waiting game.
>>
>>36058713

bicycle crunches work amazing in my experience
>>
>>36059452
OHP and Dumbell rows fucking kill my abs
>>
>>36059459
That's exactly what I'm trying to do, more or less.

What I'm really into is martial arts, but I haven't got the money to join a proper class, or for membership at one of those places people go to learn how to flip with relative safety.

Which is the second reason I'm sticking more to calisthenics. Planet Fitness may be shit, but they do have bikes and treadmills and space to do calisthenics stuff for $10/mo, rather than the $40+ a proper gym would want.
>>
>>36059519

Newb question: OHP?
>>
>>36059533
Overhead press, if I had to guess.
>>
>>36059533
barbell overhead strict press

when it gets heavy enough, you need to activate your abs to avoid falling over with 135 over your head
>>
>>36059549
You are wrong
>>36059533
It is one handed press
>>
>>36059563
Im the guy that posted about ohp , why the fuck would it be 1 handed press. i meant barbell ohp
>>
>>36059519
when i do ohp i feel my lower back arching, is due poor core strength?
>>
>>36059416
Anyone? I seriously am at a loss of what to do. I bulked and got fuck huge then stopped working out for 6 months and now I'm all soft and squishy but too short to get skinny without looking like a high schooler.
>>
>>36059382

No you can't target fat loss. Training abs + bulking will make you look twice as fat. It's still worth it once you cut but I don't vouch for bulking if it means you lose ab definition (15%bf) anyways.
>>
>>36059722
focus on "pulling" your abs together so your lower back wont round
>>
>>36059416
>>36059741
>Im too short to do a cut
wat
>>
>>36059887
I'll look like a hungry child skelly dude. I'm only 5'8. I also live in a pretty dangerous city so I need to be able to defend myself.
>>
>>36059906
You're skelly...
So fucking bulk you faggot
>>
>5'8 155lbs, 26% BF due to no exercise, lazy gamer
>lose 30lbs using too aggressive a deficit, too much cardio, badly done intermittent fasting
>Got really damn small, only had mild 4-pack to show for it
>decided to cut the shit and start bulking
>have gained 17lbs so far, abs actually look better despite having gained some fat

Don't make the mistake I made, chasing the 6pack. you can only get so low before you actually need to bulk for your abs to develop, especially if your background is that of a lazy guy
>>
>>36059969
Im not skelly is the problem faggot. Im skinny fat but if I cut like 10lbs I'll be too small.
>>
>>36060055
Why the fuck are you cutting if you don't have any muscle? Go on a slow bulk and lift. When you have something to cut down to, then you cut. Do you understand?
>>
>>36060078
Thats what I'm doing. Just didn't know if that was the best approach.

I think soda is killing me but I need it for work.
>>
>>36060113
You're not gonna make it. Do an hero.
>>
>>36060113
No, you don't. Cut it out.
>>
>>36060113
>needs to drink soda for his job
Wat
>>
>>36060138
Kek no

>>36060140
I cut out fries and chips already. I guess I could just switch to coffee but it's gonna be much more expensive.
>>
>>36059722
it's lack of flexibility. same reason why you can't do overhead squats.
>>
>>36060153
Giving up soda is one of the easier things you can do. After a few weeks you won't care about it anymore. Have discipline.
>>
>>36060113
>I think soda is killing me but I need it for work.

Confirmed for never making it.

What is coffee?
>>
>>36060153
>I guess I could just switch to coffee but it's gonna be much more expensive.
This is bullshit. Even as you typed it out you must have been aware that you were going to get called out for it.

Buy a bigass box of cheap ass tea. Need caffeine? Hit that tea.
Look at this, 100 bags for $5
http://www.costco.com/Lipton-Regular-Tea-Bags-100-ct.-LIP-291.product.11326723.html
No way you are getting 100 sodas for $5
>>
>>36060192
Not to mention caffeine pills. What horseshit
>>
>>36060204
Never tried caffeine pills. How easy is it to sleep at night? Whats their life span? I have insomnia so I cant have anything else keeping me up.
>>
>>36060153
>I guess I could just switch to coffee but it's gonna be much more expensive.

Soda is
>water
>sugar
>carbon dioxide
>flavor
>coloring

Three of those ingredients are so cheap to be effectively free and the last two are included in the product in such a minuscule quantity to be effectively free as well.

The markup on soda is astronomical. You're paying a dollar for literally five cents worth of product.

Coffee and tea are so much more cost effective.
>>
>>36060222
I sleep like a baby. And when I don't, I take some melatonin.
>>
>>36060222
Checked

I mean, the answer to all your questions is that it won't be any worse than tanking soda. Actually, your insomnia is more likely than not related to your diet, seriously try tea only for a week or two see what happens.
>>
>>36058713
you should do vacuums, they work your transverse (inner) abs and make everything look tighter
>>
>>36060438
Looks like its just sucking in your gut. I drive all day so maybe that'll work for me.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.