[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK, my glucose was high so everyone told me to get a1c. >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3
File: diabetes.jpg (23 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
diabetes.jpg
23 KB, 512x384
OK, my glucose was high so everyone told me to get a1c.
> 9.1
How bad is that?
>>
>>36042952
Fucking jesus. That's pretty bad. 4.5 is the average baseline is it not?
>>
I mean, I haven't been diagnosed yet or anything.
Yeah, it's definitely high.
>>
>>36042969

From memory, ~4 is fasting, ~9 is post-eating and ~7 is about baseline.

You're a bit above but nothing too bad. As long as you're in the single digits you're reasonably ok. Still should probably get professionally checked though.
>>
>>36043003
I just had breakfast beforehand
>>
>>36042952
An a1c will check your average blood sugar levels across 3 months and yes, 9.1 is high for a non-diabetic. Normal people will generally have a blood sugar between 4.1 and 7.1, so a1c's for them would probably fall around 6.
>>
>>36043030
Medschoolfag here.

HbA1C is a measure of glucose control over the past 3 months or so. The more glucose you have in your blood over time, the more glycated hemoglobin you have. Red blood cells have a lifespan of about 3 months, so HbA1C gives you a good 3 month snapshot.

That said, 9.1 is pretty high. How old are you?
>>
>>36043030
A1c's check average levels of blood glucose over 3 months. When did you previously check your blood sugar levels? I'm guessing you are overweight right?
>>
Pretty sure this is bait but I'm type 1 diabetic and mine is lower than that
>>
>36, 6'1", 240lbs
>>
>>36043063
Incase it's not it means your average is a little over twice normal blood sugar range
>>
>>36042969
Type 1 diabetic here.

If you're diabetic, 6.0 is the goal, and above 7.0 starts getting problematic.

If you're not, 5.0 is the goal, and above 6.0 starts getting problematic.

9.1 is fucked. You are either type 2, near death, or ate a twelver of donuts when you're supposed to fast before bloodwork.
>>
>>36043047
This guy knows his shit. Listen to him.
>>
>>36042952
Bro, I'm type 1 beetus, and the worst I got was 7, my doc was pissed at me that day.
>>
>>36043700
>>36043903
>tfw cutting and woke up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar
JUST
>>
>>36043932
A minor setback.
>>
File: a1c-levels1.jpg (25 KB, 450x286) Image search: [Google]
a1c-levels1.jpg
25 KB, 450x286
B-but according to some charts, like this one, I'm just barely in the red zone...
>>
...and i just saw some more charts that don't go into red until 10+
>>
>>36044063
>>36044102
Don't fool yourself, you need to see a doctor and start you medication.
>>
>>36044063
as someone in healthcare, do not fuck with diabetes
that shit will completely destroy your life if its not completely in check
you need to get diagnosed and start treatment ASAP
>>
>>36042952
Anything above 6.5 (pretty sure) is diagnostic for diabetes. You definitely have diabetes son.
source: i'm a nurse
>>
>>36042952
LMfao, jesus christ, did they check you out for diabetic ketoacidosis?
>>
>>36044063
That card is for diagnosed diabetic patients to be using. If you are comparing yourself to that card then you have diabetes.
>>
>>36045530
Am I supposed to get a second test, like six months later, before being diagnosed?
>>
>>36045848
dude, do you want to lose your eyesight and limbs? why are you waiting to start treatment?
>>
>>36045882
Well, for one I don't have insurance. It is expensive to treat?
>>
>>36046000
well I live in Canada so I'm not entirely sure about that. it doesn't matter, its not optional. it will completely fuck your body or kill you if you dont control diabetes.
>>
>>36046000
You'll start to become more suspectible to illnesses, you'll take longer to heal, your nerves will start firing randomly causing burning/tingling into eventual pain shoots, your eye sight will begin to start fucking up.

Do not let type 1 go untreated. You will die.
>>
>>36045848

Answer this, are you fat? If so it's most likely type 2.

If you're skinny, and especially if you've been losing weight lately, you might have T1 diabetes. Other symptoms include frequent urination, and being thirsty all the time.

If you do have T1, you need to get yourself to a hospital (even emergancy room) asap, before you go into DKA (google it) and coma.
>>
Fine, I'll get professional help.
(Though it'll probably be expensive, make it harder to GET health insurance, and become a big red flag on my chart that's used against me on job applications and God knows what else.)
>>
>>36046232

The long term damages are not even the problem right now if he has diagnosed T1.

He will literally die in anything from a few days to a few months, depending how long he's gone undiagnosed.

Google DKA and T1 diabetes.
>>
>>36046351
ya, but if hes likely in the honey moon phase, he won't be dieing right away or even necessarily in DKA, unless his sugars are in the 20s he probably doesn't even have ketones. His A1C indictates hes diabetic but its not crazy high and OP didn't state that hes having tons of issues like peeing constantly and rapid weight loss. I doubt anon would be feeling well if he was in DKA at all, that shit gets you hospitalized quick, been there myself. I'm a type 1 myself.
>>
>>36046412

You're right, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to T1 diabetes. There really is no reason to wait around anyway. It has happened that T1 diabetics get diagnosed because they crash and go into a coma.

Btw I'm T1 as well, so not a doctor or anything.
>>
>>36046341
The best things you can do if you do end up being type 1, is getting an insulin pump and a constant glucose monitor, their expensive as hell, but the quality of life it gives over constantly testing and injecting is so worth it.

>>36046445
Me either but I do work in the industry (Insulin pumps) I'm just remembering my experience with first getting diagnosed, their were a lot of signs before serious trouble, but then it was a long stay in the hospital.
>>
>>36046000
If your an amerifag you can get "Reli on" brand short and long insulin from walmart for much cheaper than prescription bottles. 25$ a bottle vs 150+ for name brand.

Still got to get your diabetus ass to a doc though and find out what you need.
>>
Isn't type 2 'better'?
>>
>>36046494
By better its not nearly as life threatening and can often be managed completely by diet and exercise. Type 2 is insulin resistance while Type 1 is insulin dependence.
>>
>>36046494
I guess that depends if you got some kind of food addiction.

What I mean is, with T2 diabetes you need to adjust your diet and exercise, or it will royally fuck you.

It's not uncommon to see T2 diabetics way worse off when it comes to complications because they don't handle their diabetes (because of food addiction, or just negligence).

But yea, as a T1 I'd much rather have gotten T2, because I could easily handle the diet change, and I already exercise.
>>
>>36042952
is toe nail fungus a symptom of diabetes?
>>
>>36046563
No, it's a symptom of being a ragging faggot.
Clean your damn toes more often?
>>
OP here. I don't have toenail fungus, but I do often feel thirsty, tired, and seem to be urinating more often. These are typical symptoms, right?
>>
>>36046232
OP is something like 36 years old, I think it's type 2 beetus.
>>
>>36042952
What's wrong with having too much glucose in your blood anyway?
>>
>>36046848
Yes, your body is dumping (unintentionally) all that glucse through piss, you piss a lot so you are thirsty. Are you losing weight recently?
>>
>>36046896
:|
>>
>>36046896
It wrecks your entire body, read the thread or look it up.
>>
>>36046848
Yes! Go to the fucking doctor!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=symptoms+of+diabetes
>>
>>36046896
acidity
>>
>>36046905
Actually, I've been hitting the gym, kinda half-assed, for the last several months. Lost 15 pounds.
>>
>>36043903
Yeah I got 8.3 once and was fucking ashamed.
6.5 was my last one, imagine what ours was before diagnosis.
>>
>>36046875
T1 can have late onsets. Also 36 years old based on what?
>>
>>36046940
I advise you to stop lifting untill you see the doc and start taking insulin. Lifting now only causes you to lose gains, ketosis and all that shit.
>>
>>36046994
Yes, I'm going to be 37 next month.
>>
>>36046994
OP said it himself >>36043076
He is also the guy who made similiar thread couple days ago. Usually young people/children come down with type 1, never heard about older people getting it, but it might be just my lack of knowledge.
>>
>>36046940
If you do have diabetes (which is sounds like), that weight loss is 99% because of the diabetes, and not because of the gym.

Sadly, you'll gain all that weight back when you start the insulin treatment, and probably as fat to start with. But it's better than dying.

>>36046875
>>36047021
Personally I was diagnosed at 25. Also know a person who was diagnosed with T1 at 45. Definitely possible.
>>
>>36047021
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes_of_adults
>>
>>36042952
healthy a1c is below 6
>>
>>36047030
>>36047038
Turns out there is stuff I didn't know, considering OP's symptoms he is most likely t1.
>>
>>36047086
Ya p much, sucks for OP sadly, welcome to the club.
>>
File: deathbed.jpg (117 KB, 284x300) Image search: [Google]
deathbed.jpg
117 KB, 284x300
OP again.
Alright you faggots, you've scared me enough that I made a doctor's appointment - two hours from now.
Thanks, I guess.
>>
>>36047117
Get yourself a blood sugar tester asap too. Good luck brave anon
>>
>>36046805
i guess i should
>>
>>36047117
Hang in there bro, beetus isn't as bad as people tend to describe it. See it as an opportunity to lead much healthier life style.
>>
>>36047152
t1 is totally as bad as people describe it, its fucking awful, especially without a pump or cgm.
>>
>>36047174
Maybe, ff you are a little bitch. Been t1 for over 10 years, getting injections and testing sugar level isn't that bad, all you need is a little discipline.
>>
>>36047210
k
>>
>>36047174
Yeah, it sounds like I'd prefer type 2. I'll let you guys know. In the meantime, place your bets!
>>
>>36047210
Taking injections or testing sugar isn't what is bad about T1 you retard.

The bad part is having a full time job as a fucking pancreas.
>>
>out at sea working on freighters and stuff
>come back
>find my out my sister has basically been feeding my aunt popsicles with some real food here and there everyday after a medical issue because "she liked them".

my aunt has gained weight, eats quite a bit, and has cravings for ice cream, yogurt, and just sweet shit in general.

fuck and the majority of other symptoms line up too.
>>
>>36044063

Yeah but

>Average blood glucose level of 11,9

That is terrible.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.