[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is kale still a meme? Friend of mine has been trying to "get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 275x183
Is kale still a meme?

Friend of mine has been trying to "get healtheir" and started running. He's also started drinking kale shakes for a while and is hating it.

Should I tell them to stop being a retard or is kale not just a shitty fad?
>>
>>36019603
It's godly when cutting. It tastes like shit, but two cups of it is like 35 calories. I use shit loads when I'm cutting. Only thing that helps keep my full. Good micros too
>>
Good amount of vitamins for a green.
>>
Fad.

It appeals to the logic of "If it's green and taste like grass, it must be good for me!"

There are no nutrients in that shit that you cant get from a multi and you gotta load them kale shakes up with so much sugar that its just counterproductive.
>>
your friend fell for the exercise + consuming vegetables meme

what a retard
>>
>>36019603
Napa cabbage is where it's at.

Shakes are good energy sources. When the right things (not sugary shit) is added to them.

Cabbage, kale, spinach, Beats, a few berries for taste, a bit of yogurt, and coconut oil makes for all day energy and kick ass dumps!
>>
>>36019632
>There are no nutrients in that shit that you cant get from a multi

vitamin K in amounts far exceeding any supplement
carotenoids not found in supplements
glucosinolates like sulforaphane not found in supplements
raphanin not found in supplements
indole-3-carbinol not found in supplements
dietary fibers not found in supplements
>>
No. The superfood meme is long forgotten.
>>
>>36019684
>any of this matters
>>
>>36019632
>>36019720
For anyone who's both new here and retarded, he's not serious.
>>
>>36019603
It's a fucking vegetable. Of course it's good for you. Eat it, or eat broccoli or whatever who really gives a fuck.
>>
File: 1445051815453.jpg (290 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445051815453.jpg
290 KB, 1600x1200
>>36019759
Unless you're eating shit you don't have a deficiency in any of those. Except maybe fiber, and you'd need 5lbs of kale to reach the ridiculous dietary fiber goals set by the ""authorities"".
>>
>>36019603

Kale tastes like shit.

How about you just eat vegetables that don't taste fucking awful.
>>
>>36019603
Kale and bananas together in a blender with some milk is god tier. Nomilkfags can use water instead but doesn't taste as good + less brotein.
>>
>>36019759
It's literally just a vegetable.

It doesn't fucking matter what vegetable you eat, just eat vegetables.

Kale is just the successor in the long line of PR moves to keep people interested and to sell recipes. Before kale it was the acai berry, then Cacao, and quinoa and couscous before that, and then carrots and tomatoes, etc. etc.

In a year they'll probably announce some "amazing new research" showing how Asparagus is actually a superfood and everyone should eat it to reduce risk of cancer and autism by tenfold.
>>
>>36019603
Having a vegetable shake every day will make your morning poops the best way to start off a day.
>>
>>36019633
>falling for the healthy lifestyle meme

Not gonna make it
>>
i bake it and sprinkle garlic powder and pepper on them.
>>
wow a lot of dumb pieces of shit in this thread.

Yes, kale is fucking awesome.
The more a vegetable tastes like shit, the better it is for you. Garlic being the absolute top tier. Show me a man that eats raw garlic (not pills) and I'll you someone immortal
>>
>>36020185
garlic kills test m'kay
and no, I won't google that for you
>>
kale is gr8 for hitting your %dvs, but if you're not concerned with getting everything else in your diet why fucking bother
>>
>>36020205
not chewing raw garlic, nature's performance enhancer.

ancient greeks traditionally chewed a clove before the olympic events, and it was given to the workers who built the pyramids to improve their strength and endurance.

you can google that m8
>>
>>36020185
TIL cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and zucchini make you immortal
>>
>>36019632

>vegetables are a fad
>multivitamins are just as good

>>36019813

>30g of fiber is ridiculous and hard to get

They really should require you to pass some sort of test before you can give nutrition advice on this board
>>
>>36020264
>zuchinni
>one of the worst tasting vegetable

common bro, don't be such an amerifat
>>
>>36020296
37g IS hard to get without taking supplements or Allbran, it's the equivalent of eating 10 apples a day.
>>
>>36020358

1 cup of lentils (cooked) alone is 16g fiber. Unless your entire diet is meat and cheese, atleast 40g of fiber should be unavoidable and 60+ should be easy
>>
>>36020358
I ate 62g today without supps retard.
>>
>>36020387
Lentils are also delicious, fast and cheap; I made a pot recently with chicken broth and some garlic cloves and I feel like a fucking chef.
>>
>>36020439
>today
irrelevant
that's not how nutrition works
>>
>>36020529
Are you retarded?
You tell me that 37g is hard without supps.
I tell you that i ate 62g and you tell me it is irrelevant?
Your argument is wrong.

You know what sweet baby boy?
I eat at least 50g fiber everyday.
>>
>>36020576
>I eat at least 50g fiber everyday.
>without supps or trying hard
bullshit
>>
>>36019603
Spinach is better for you. Kale is a meme
>>
>>36020592

What does your diet look like if you struggle so hard to get fiber?
>>
>>36020602

>being contrarian over vegetables
>>
>>36020185
>the worse it tastes the better for you
Go die in a fire and take that shitty meme with you.
>>
The kale should improve his running.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22882425
>>
>>36020607
99% mediterranean diet (+supps) living next to the mediterranean sea
I eat legumes ~once a week and 3-6 fruits a day and still need some allbran if I want my graphs to look complete (vit E was another hard nut to crack until I began taking fish oil)
>>
>>36020625
>contrarian
I have no problem going against popular opinion. Its pretty stupid that everyone suddenly acts as if we just discovered kale cures cancer or something. There's a huge variety of vegetables that are more palatable and nutritious that we've been aware of for some time.
>hopping on the trendy bandwagon
Yeah, no thanks
>>
>>36020602
ok
>>
>>36020754
thank god for kale
now I won't have to worry about scurvy anymore!
>>
>>36020697

A true "mediterranean diet" is mostly made of fiber-rich plant foods. I don't believe you're eating a mediterranean diet and not getting enough fiber.

>I eat legumes ~once a week

Do it every day. Barley and oats are also good for fiber. Between some beans, whole grains, and veggies, you shouldn't have any problem hitting the minimum fiber level.
>>
>>36019603
Don't know why people hate on veggies so much
Kale is delicious and one of those "superfoods"
It is a fad though.
>>
>>36020769
>eating legumes every day
I did that when I was a poorfag student. Can't cope with the gas specially when benching heavy, plus it gets boring real fast.
A 80g bowl of oats (what I usually take) has 8g of fiber maybe 10 depending on what I add to it (shit), and you really can't eat that much barley. I AM hitting the minimum level already, but by cheating.
>>
File: 1449723417005.jpg (7 KB, 228x223) Image search: [Google]
1449723417005.jpg
7 KB, 228x223
>>36019603
Shitty fad? Kale is great for you man. But why not eat it normally instead of blending it into a shake? I'd hate it too if that was how I consumed it.
>>
File: god damn itt.png (932 KB, 875x643) Image search: [Google]
god damn itt.png
932 KB, 875x643
>>36020840

Whatever it takes. If you gotta do 4 scoops of beans, it is what it is, god damnit.

>A 80g bowl of oats (what I usually take) has 8g of fiber maybe 10 depending on what I add to it (shit), and you really can't eat that much barley. I AM hitting the minimum level already, but by cheating.

The more you describe your diet, the less mediterranean and more like the standard American diet it sounds
>>
>>36020932
I consider oats a supplement as well (pre-workout and massgainer). I even buy them at a hardcore supplement store.
>>
>>36020978
>hurrrr durrr my argument is invalid
>oats are a supp now

Yeah you are really retarded.
Now I feel sorry for you.
>>
File: #Squatz&Oatz #DYEL #SSVictim.jpg (46 KB, 470x541) Image search: [Google]
#Squatz&Oatz #DYEL #SSVictim.jpg
46 KB, 470x541
>>36021043
>>>hurrrr durrr my argument is invalid
never said that
>>>oats are a supp now
never said that

Eat a dick cheater, if you eat 1 bowl of lentils and 1 kale shake a day don't go around saying "yeah all natural brah, just eat normally brah" you're going out of your way to hit micros just like anyone who uses supps don't bullshit.
>>
>>36020978

Okay then, just add more OATSUPPĀ© to your diet.

Also I looked at the fiber content of a basic mediterranean-style breakfast and lunch and got 33g fiber in 1k calories

>1 cup dry rolled oats, 2 tablespoons raisins, 1/2 oz walnuts
>1/2 cup dry hulled barley, 1/4 cup feta cheese, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup swiss chard

Add a dinner of

>1 cup cooked lentils, 6oz salmon fillet, 1 cup cooked spinach

And you're at 53g fiber at 1616 calories

The fuck are you eating bruh?
>>
File: 1447456087886.jpg (43 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1447456087886.jpg
43 KB, 330x319
>>36021127

>>1 cup dry rolled oats, 2 tablespoons raisins, 1/2 oz walnuts
>>1/2 cup dry hulled barley, 1/4 cup feta cheese, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup swiss chard
>>1 cup cooked lentils, 6oz salmon fillet, 1 cup cooked spinach

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mediterranean-style diet not forced or anything
>>
>>36021080
>>>oats are a supp now
> never said that

>>36020978
> I consider oats a supplement

topkek
>>
>>36021163

That's not forced at all, that's just how much fiber you get naturally on a diet like the mediterranean diet. The only way it could be fiber deficient is if you're eating lots of processed food or meat.
>>
>>36021172
I also consider your dad a girl when I ram him from behind, when in reality he isn't.
>>
>>36019603
stop being a retard and buy a book on nutrition you fucker.
>>
File: Mediterranen_Pyramid.jpg (264 KB, 1061x829) Image search: [Google]
Mediterranen_Pyramid.jpg
264 KB, 1061x829
>>36021204
I'll bite
here's the first graphic from google
>>
>>36021313

>first graphic from google
>with my own opinions added in red text to explain why I don't adhere to the diet properly and have to supplement my diet with fiber
>>
>>36021402
The captions represent how much fiber they add which is the topic at hand, which is mostly 0 or 1 or 2 grams here or there, except for SOME very specific vegetables and SOME grains.
>>
>>36021503

Notice how the most fiber-rich foods are towards the bottom of the pyramid while the foods with little or no fiber are towards the top, most of which you don't eat every day anyway. The basic sample I made here >>36021127 had 2 meals that included whole grains and 1 meal that included legumes, with some vegetables adding a bit to the total fiber. That 53 grams while still including fish and feta cheese, with plenty of calories to spare for whatever else you want to eat that day. Have your snacking fruits on top of it and that's 60+ grams of fiber just by following the basic outline of a mediterranean diet.
>>
File: Capture.png (21 KB, 734x530) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
21 KB, 734x530
>>36021650
Mediterranean diet isn't an abstract thing about food groups. It is more about particular ingredients. Oats and barley aren't med (I barely 't even knew what oats were before visiting /fit/, and I've never seen or heard of anyone eating 1/2cup of barley in my life med or not), no one takes tomato sauce alone (minor pick), and as said and represented on the pyramid, 1 cup of lentils isn't something you eat every day normally (to being tiresome, I would add that it takes time to cook them).
>>
File: oats mediterranean.png (169 KB, 769x482) Image search: [Google]
oats mediterranean.png
169 KB, 769x482
>>36021757

>Oats and barley aren't med

The fuck. They've been part of the diet of that region for hundreds of years. The tomato sauce was also obviously meant to be added to the barley, not eaten by itself.

>and as said and represented on the pyramid, 1 cup of lentils isn't something you eat every day normally (to being tiresome, I would add that it takes time to cook them).

They're in the "daily" section of that pyramid, right between fruits and vegetables. And come the fuck on, you can't eat them because it's annoying to cook your food?

You win. Just eat your cereal.
>>
>>36021845
>The fuck. They've been part of the diet of that region for hundreds of years
As part of bread and things like that. Porridge is an anglo thing.
>They're in the "daily" section of that pyramid
in a tiny square, along with nuts
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.