[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I trust either of these goons to get me ripped when they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: rippetoe mehdi.png (245 KB, 465x274) Image search: [Google]
rippetoe mehdi.png
245 KB, 465x274
How can I trust either of these goons to get me ripped when they both look pathetic?

If their programmes are so good, why aren't they in better shape?
>>
Neither of their programs are intended to make you look good
>>
>>35929432
rip is 55 (or older), also the program is called starting STRENGTH, it gets you lifting higher numbers, not aesthetic, that said, you will gain muscle with it.
>>
>>35929453
he is 59
>>
>>35929453
>>35929444
Why are their programs recommended for people wanting to look better then?
>>
>>35929465
they are recommended for noobs that can't squat for shit, bench for shit or pretty much lift anything.

its a strength based program for beginners (hence starting strength)
>>
File: ripped.jpg (38 KB, 433x480) Image search: [Google]
ripped.jpg
38 KB, 433x480
>>35929432
you know, he used to look like this
>>
>>35929473
stop baiting motherfucker, we both know that isn't him.
>>
File: progress 3.jpg (267 KB, 1658x960) Image search: [Google]
progress 3.jpg
267 KB, 1658x960
SS worked for me.

You will put on muscle faster than any other program designed for beginners. If you honestly think that doing a 4 day split is going to make you look any better than SS or Bill Stars routines you're a retard.
>>
>>35929473
>2016
>this meme still exists
life rules
>>
>>35929444
yes they are, rip recommends SS for starting bodybuilders too
>>35929477
nice strawman. its not like its always either SS or a 4-day split.
you need to add accessories to SS to make it balanced, but then it wont be SS.
>>
>>35929477
What's the time frame on this?
>>
>>35929488
>yes they are, rip recommends SS for starting bodybuilders too
he means for beginning BBers, they need to be strong too, for example before Bbing arnie used to be a powerlifter.

And you can accessories to SS, read the book it has a chapter on accessories.
>>
>>35929477
Did you do cleans? My gym says they're too dangerous
>>
File: I5F2X7n.png (810 KB, 871x1346) Image search: [Google]
I5F2X7n.png
810 KB, 871x1346
>>35929432
Because as a beginner you need to be spoonfed and you need the simplest shit to avoid fuckarounditis. You don't have to think or remember shit for SS or SL. Just do your three lifts and go home.

Pic related is what reddit currently promotes as a 'beginner routine'. I've been training for 5 years and have no shitclue what this is supposed to be or why it's supposedly better than just doing 5/3/1. A beginner is gonna get demotivated just by having to read through all that shit three time to understand it. You can't set a 'goal weight' when you can't even bench the bar.

That's why you do a simple beginner routine like SS or SL, to do something simply and easy, to make fast progress, stay motivated and feel yourself into weightlifting. After a few months you'll find out yourself how things work and can read more into it if you want.

Are SS or SL the best beginner routines for all purposes out there? Probably not, but they're simple and they work and there's a shit ton of support out there for you if you do them. (As opposed to pic related who got butthurt after asking him about his qualifications.)
>>
File: ss success.jpg (60 KB, 781x440) Image search: [Google]
ss success.jpg
60 KB, 781x440
You shouldn't trust them.

This is what "success" looks like on SS.
>>
>>35929493
>he means for beginning BBers
thats what i said?
>they need to be strong too
to some extent yes but they will get strong enough on a PPL or 2-day split too
>for example before Bbing arnie used to be a powerlifter.
yeah, and for example Kai does not give a fuck about strength
>read the book it has a chapter on accessories.
the book is about basic barbell training, not just the novice program. youre not supposed to do halting deadlifts or rack pulls in the novice program. chins are the only accessory youre supposed to "add" into the novice program.
>>35929507
to be fair the left guy didnt do SS for sure and the right guy just wanted to get strong. if he wanted his results probably would have looked quite different.
>>
>>35929506
>that routine

jesus fucking christ
>>
File: Rip Deadlift.jpg (50 KB, 480x380) Image search: [Google]
Rip Deadlift.jpg
50 KB, 480x380
>>35929473

For those who are still genuinely unaware. That isn't Rippetoe. I believe this pic is, however
>>
>>35929506
How the fuck can anyone expect a beginner to get into that?
>>
>>35929488
You do realize SS expects accesories and regardless it's pretty balanced anyway.

My top half looks fine compared to my legs and all I do is Dips Rows Press Bench Cleans Deadlifts Squats.

Do you really think that you're not going to get a set of arms if you can Bench, Row, Press and Dip heavy?
>>35929489
Years, dude.
>>35929500
No, but there are always alternatives.
>>
>>35929432
Then don't. No one's stopping you from doing your own aesthetics program. But if you don't want to plateau because you're lifting baby weights all day and can't move up, come back and try. No one's stopping you from making your first gains on your own.
>>
>>35929488

>you need to add accessories to SS to make it balanced,

No you don't, you fucking retard. If you're bitching about the lack of biceps, chin ups are a stated part of SS, which you'd know if you read the book. That's your "bicep work."

A beginner doesn't need, and in fact won't benefit, from any added silly bullshit. Once the LP gains are exhausted (six-ish months if you eat and sleep enough, 2-4 months for the idiot n00bs on /fit/ that absolutely refuse to eat), you can move to a weekly program with accessories added onto it to fit your goals. However, even then the big barbell lifts should be the core of the routine.
>>
>>35929545
Lol. It's a good program actually.
>>
>>35929493

>And you can accessories to SS, read the book it has a chapter on accessories.

Those accessories are specifically not there fore beginners. He stuck them in the book because that's the book with the detailed instructions on how to do the lifts, and it fit in with that. Those are potentially "useful accessory" lifts for people beyond the novice phase. No beginner needs to be doing any form of modified deadlifts, for example.

The only "accessory" included in SS is chip ups, and he says those are important and useful enough for general strength that, if it weren't for the bodyweight nature of the lift, he'd consider it right alongside the main barbell lifts.
>>
>>35929576
jesus christ people are stupid

okay, let's take the lateral head of the deltoids as an example. I'd just go out on a limb and say that this part of the muscle is desirable if you are looking to bodybuild/look good/whatever.

of course a beginner benefits from doing lateral raises, why the fuck wouldn't he. It doesnt fuck with his recovery (which is short anyway cause he is a beginner) and your lateral delts won't really develop from bench or ohp.
>>
File: RIP on SS.jpg (83 KB, 576x410) Image search: [Google]
RIP on SS.jpg
83 KB, 576x410
>>35929432
>cropping out the stats

starting strength h8rs will go to any lenghts
>>
>>35929473
fuck off, memester
>>
>>35929506

>That pic
>mfw

in4redditfaggotry

Holy shit.

>Pic related is what reddit currently promotes as a 'beginner routine'. I've been training for 5 years and have no shitclue what this is supposed to be or why it's supposedly better than just doing 5/3/1.

To nitpick, 5/3/1 is not a good routine for a novice.

>Are SS or SL the best beginner routines for all purposes out there? Probably not,

SS is probably the best routine for anything lifting weights could possible accomplish for a rank novice. It's not for marathon runners, but there's nothing better for n00b athletes, n00b bodybuilders, scrubs who want to "get healthy," scrubs who want to "tone up," and so on.

The only reason not to do it as a beginner is if you're too old and frail, and possibly too female, to manage. And even then, the principles of program remain useful, it's just the set/rep schemes and planned progression might stand to change.

Apparently women can respond better to 4x4 or ever 5x3 set/rep schemes, due to being able to work with higher percentages of their 1RM for a particular number of reps when compared to males. Probably because they aren't as good as recruiting the maximum amount of muscle fibers as men are, so their 1RM isn't as close to the theoretical maximum amount of contractile force the involved muscle could produce, if that makes any sense.

And obviously, those too old to have much testosterone left won't be able to progress as much as quickly.
>>
>>35929609
Yeah man the lateral head of your deltoid totally isn't going to grow from Benching, OHP, Cleans or Rows at all.

Get fucked dude, what do you strict press? 40k?
>>
>>35929609

>lateral delts won't really develop from bench or ohp.
>lateral delts
>won't really develop
>from ohp.

You're an idiot and a cancer to this board. What, pray tell, the fuck do you think abducts the humerus?
>>
>>35929588
Lol. How can you tell?

Jokes aside, I'm seeing a program that takes 4 weeks to add (at best) 15lbs to a specific lift.

For a novice, if strength is the primary goal, that is awful progression.

SS by comparison has you add as much as 15lbs each workout to squat and deadlift.

Not even commenting on the staggering complexity for a rank novice.
>>
>>35929616
top kek baka desu senpai
>>
>>35929558
>lmao7plate
>>
>>35929477
This is the first progression pic I've seen of someone having done SS and looking good after. Anyone got any more?
>>
>>35929609
You don't lift, do you? You're a crossboarder, no?
>>
>>35929567
>You do realize SS expects accesories
no, it doesnt. read the book. chins are the only accessory youre supposed to add to the novice program. the accessories section is there for the sake of "basic barbell training", not the novice program.

and it might work for some people but most people gain shit in their arms and shoulder and chest. i gained half an inch in my arms doing SS and similar kind of programs without much isolation for a year
>>35929576
doing 10-20 reps of chins once or twice a week is not nearly enough volume. most people recommend 45-60 reps (at least 70% of 1rm or so) per muscle.

besides that, lateral delts, rear delts and lower chest are the biggest problems on SS. triceps too to some extent, benching/OHPing just doesnt really hit them well enough.
>>35929632
benching and rowing actually do nothing for your lateral delts. do you even anatomy? their role in cleans is minimal too.

ohp 3x5 1,5 times a week is not nearly enough for the lateral delts.
i strict press 75kg, although im not who you responded to
>>35929644
the overhead press is done mostly in the scapular, not the sagittal plane. the line of pull doesn't match very well and the volume isn't enough anyway.
>>
>>35929858
oh and meant frontal plane, not sagittal
>>
File: 1454661361432.jpg (972 KB, 2704x1212) Image search: [Google]
1454661361432.jpg
972 KB, 2704x1212
>>
>>35929858
Hey dude, I'm not trying to be an asshole but you're wrong. You've proven it by saying that Pressing, Benching and Dips aren't enough for your triceps.

You also just said that lower chest is a big problem on SS, Flat Pressing and Dips cover that in a big way dude. If you geniunely believe that you need to do Decline Pressing or any other accessory work for your lower chest you have legit down syndrome and I am so sorry that you're allowed to post on a anime fitness homoesexual board without adult supervision.
>>
File: lineofpull.png (266 KB, 503x577) Image search: [Google]
lineofpull.png
266 KB, 503x577
>>35929885
dips aren't in the program, and yes, pressing and benching is not enough. ive experienced it myself and so have many others. it might work for you but it wont work for everyone.

flat pressing is very inefficient for the lower chest, pic related. the line of pull is shit and the ROM is very small in the portion where the lower chest does something.

If you geniunely believe that you need to only do flat bench and dips for your lower chest you have legit down syndrome and I am so sorry that you're allowed to post on a anime fitness homoesexual board without adult supervision.
>>
>>35929500
Planet Fitness?
>>
>>35929897
If you can flat press 100k+ for reps, your lower chest is going to be big. You don't need to do decline pressing for a big chest.

I've trained loads of dudes and worked with people that have competed, no one with any experience does decline pressing because we're all aware that your entire lower chest grows from flat pressing. What do you think happens, you get a fat lump in the middle of your chest and the lower fibers don't grow at all?

I'm goanna need to see a picture of yourself dude, because I've got a feeling you have no idea what you're on about.
>>
>>35929914
>If you can flat press 100k+ for reps, your lower chest is going to be big
i can bench 5x120kg and my lower chest is small.
also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0E-Pgu1cMw&t=1m35s

im not advocating decline pressing. cable crossovers are pretty good.
what i think happens is you get some growth in your upper chest, a little less in your mid chest and a small bit in your lower chest. look at the picture I posted and think again what part of the chest does most of the work in a proper bench.
>>
SS is for retards and made by a retard
>>
>>35929477
>that first pic shirt
Kek
>>
>>35929507

Based GOMAD
>>
>>35929644
Jews abduct the hummus
>>
>>35929924
dat ass off the bench
dat snatch bar smash
>>
>>35929877
Why does no one ever show these "superior alternatives" to SS?
>>
>>35929506
>that pic

Fucking reddit
another youtube powerroider who want to push his own overcomplicated I-reinvented-the-wheel! routine into the throat of clueless beginners.. reminds me of the sad joke blaha
and paid redditors shills upvote applaude and cheer him as he do it
reddit is truly a horrible shitty hugbox

this place is bad, can be crabbucket negative and always find some way to get under your skin and bring out your deepest insecurities (nogf, sexual misery, height, lack of social skills, repressed homosexuality, skin color, lack of beard, balding, whatever your insecurity is), but at least it encourage you to have some common sense and develop a somewhat critical point of view concerning information about fitness, and not to drink koolaid blindly

The consensus here would be take what make sense and leave the rest, aka starting strenght is a very good beginner routine if done correctly (with accessories, with cleans, with a light squat day as you begin to move serious weight) but I think nobody here takes rippletits seriously when it comes to nutrition, adult male > 200 lbs meme and GOMAD pants on head retarded diet
>>
>>35929432
Cus d'amato didn't look like a heavy weight world champ either
>>
>>35929432
Memes. Internet lifting is all memes.Squats are a meme, powerlifting is a meme, all those fad diets are memes, scouring google scholar for the latest fad is a meme. Without /fit/, misc, Sherdog and T-Nation, we'd all do 3x10 workouts with 90 degree squats and no deadlifting while eating classic low-fat chicken-rice-broccoli diets.
>>
>>35929459
Fuck he looks amazing for a 59 y/o
>>
>>35929477
>>35929998
> In the beginning their was only one
> their was only one
> their was

Nice shirt faggot
>>
>>35929621
>SS is probably the best routine for anything lifting weights could possible accomplish for a rank novice. It's not for marathon runners, but there's nothing better for n00b athletes, n00b bodybuilders, scrubs who want to "get healthy," scrubs who want to "tone up," and so on.
Yessis 1x20 is superior to SS in everything but raw max power for beginners: More aesthetics, more athletic ability, less chance of injury, less boring, quicker gains.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.